Group flexes its muscles against down...

Group flexes its muscles against downtown plan

There are 13 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Jun 2, 2008, titled Group flexes its muscles against downtown plan. In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

It started as small business association comprised of about 30 people. Today, the Community Alliance for Redevelopment Accountability has more than 700 members and a clear plan: to thwart a proposal to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

SGV

San Jose, CA

#1 Jun 2, 2008
Yet another example of developers owning our local governments.

To all citizens prior to Election Day:
Check with your City Hall Clerks Office, and ask to see the paperwork on who has contributed to the council candidate's campaigns. Save yourselves some grief down the line, You'll no doubt find a "Friends of [fill-in candidate's name] with tens of thousands of dollars in contributions coming from outside the city developers.
Jean

Downey, CA

#2 Jun 2, 2008
Great work Community Alliance for Redevelopment Accountability, you are making them spend money to counter you. The big problem with redevelopment is that there is no accountability, no oversite to show where the money goes. Most people don't konw that the tax increases go directly to the redevelopment fund not the general fund so the normal city services are shorted. Then politicians want to add a new 1% sales tax to support the police services here in South Gate.
jesse

Paramount, CA

#3 Jun 2, 2008
the mayor and council kick them out my family has 68 years living in baldwin park those pendejos dont even live or shop in baldwin park i bet the developers have a pay check for lozano on the side contribute to his fat ass wallet it wont pass i think the gangs should be the first thing to fix lol i have 30 years living here look this is not tj or east la this is the hub of the sgv this is not china town stop the crowding this is bull shit building homes on top of eachother
concerned

AOL

#4 Jun 2, 2008
Jean, what do you think about the 1% sales tax in South Gate?
Jean wrote:
Great work Community Alliance for Redevelopment Accountability, you are making them spend money to counter you. The big problem with redevelopment is that there is no accountability, no oversite to show where the money goes. Most people don't konw that the tax increases go directly to the redevelopment fund not the general fund so the normal city services are shorted. Then politicians want to add a new 1% sales tax to support the police services here in South Gate.
Confused

La Puente, CA

#5 Jun 2, 2008
Who are they thinking is going to shop in these luxury stores, want to stay in these hotels, send there kids to these schools and buy a small over priced condo in this dangerous city (with current market conditions)? They need to restore the city and help the current residents improve the city and get the gangs and shootings to stop. With all the stories of shootings we have heard in the past week I do not even feel safe going to King Taco anymore (the only reason I ever used to enter the city).
Need Calm

La Puente, CA

#6 Jun 2, 2008
A word of caution to those who want to change the down town of any city in So Cal, once the ink has dried it's all over except for those city official being paid off.

Historic building are very hard to replace and same might be said for all those people these MEGA PLANs will displace. Most of us were alive and do remeber what kind of an impact the displacedment and distruction that took place when So Cal's freeway system was installed.
Well

United States

#7 Jun 2, 2008
The city of Bladwin Park has many more important issues they need to deal with and RESOLVE before they should consider a project like this. Why start redevelopment in a community that's riddled with crime and gangs? Those problems need to be confronted first and aggresively in a manner that produces tangible results. Is a new "face" going to convince people that BP has changed, and they should shop here? Not likely. I don't care how much money they dump into glamorizing their city, when the real issues (murders/shootings/gang activity) are still a growing threat. It's a facade. This "developer" sounds like a disreputable, untrustworthy and smooth crook, who knows how to go after cities with shabby downtown areas with promises of great things. He's a facade-just like his proposed project. If the City council goes with this plan, the citizens should step-back and re-evaluate who's running that city. Seems to be padding some Council member pockets and whims
letsmakestuffup

United States

#8 Jun 2, 2008
Weird. Seems like from the comments here that a city council can only take on one project at a time. I.E. if the City is trying to undergo redevelopment, than they must be ignoring all of the other things that you have mentioned (crime, etc.)Didn't realize that. I mean, when I watch c-span it looks like legislators have a multi-faceted policy plan.
Also, if this is an economic plan (which, I believe that is what redevelopment is), and crime and gangs can be traced back to depressed economic status, isn't this plan, indirectly, an effort at combatting crime and gangs?
oh my goodness

Paramount, CA

#9 Jun 2, 2008
okay people...many of you are saying that the city is only focusing on redevelopment and not crime and rundown neighborhoods. Well if all of you regularly checked the city's website, there's the keep bp beautiful campaign which is promoted to clean up rundown neighborhoods amongst other efforts. If the tribune covered more of the positive stuff the city is trying to do, then everyone wouldn't be quick to blame the city on trying to change its image through redevelopment only. Never take everything at face value what the media reports because they don't always cover the whole story.
History of Corruption

West Covina, CA

#10 Jan 21, 2012
You mean a Broke Developer.

Now Baldwin Park has followed in the Bisno Development's footsteps.

Baldwin Park is broke also now.
SGV wrote:
Yet another example of developers owning our local governments.
To all citizens prior to Election Day:
Check with your City Hall Clerks Office, and ask to see the paperwork on who has contributed to the council candidate's campaigns. Save yourselves some grief down the line, You'll no doubt find a "Friends of [fill-in candidate's name] with tens of thousands of dollars in contributions coming from outside the city developers.
Dis History

La Puente, CA

#11 Jan 21, 2012
Lets not forget Glendora, California.

Douglas Tessitor and his RICO gang have raided and plundered at will, whats only good for them and their redevelopment friends, that means kick-backs and all.
Wakup Tribune

Hesperia, CA

#12 Jan 21, 2012
Wakeup Tribune. Time to write something...
Put the coffee down and start typing!
Funny Money

La Puente, CA

#13 Jan 21, 2012
Be sure to try this site: stopathens.org

Redeveloper's and Athens like the funny money and building on someone else's dime.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boulevard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News RIP it up, Uncle Bob. You're missed. (May '08) Wed Dave frasier 48
News Driving on these 2 Whittier, Santa Fe Springs a... Feb 12 Horace Failnig Ger 1
News Planned power outages today in La Puente and In... (May '10) Jan '17 Charles 10
News Touro says a noa to Orcem Nov '16 Kurshan Diaper Ch... 4
News Sylmar funeral procession for Caltrans worker t... Oct '16 Red Cloud 1
News Fairfield police snare 5 at DUI-driver's licens... Sep '16 FAQ 3
News Missing man, dogs found dead in vehicle (Oct '08) Sep '16 Lynette Findlay 6

Boulevard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Boulevard Mortgages