Paralyzed San Lorenzo Valley Gigh Sch...

Paralyzed San Lorenzo Valley Gigh School grad sues county over ...

There are 194 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 18, 2009, titled Paralyzed San Lorenzo Valley Gigh School grad sues county over .... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

A San Lorenzo Valley High School graduate left paralyzed by a car accident last spring is suing the county for an unspecified amount of damages.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

treehugger

Santa Cruz, CA

#24 Nov 18, 2009
Way to go Senile, the headline at 7AM reads "San Lorenzo Valley Gigh grad"....uh, what's a Gigh????
scclocal

AOL

#25 Nov 18, 2009
I really feel sorry for Allie's injuries, but let's put blame where it belongs, on her!! Allie's mom keeps saying "through no fault of her own" this happened to her. Why not let people learn a lesson from her mistake and slow down in the rain? We see accidents like this in the area all the time. People driving too fast in the rain. How many people traveled that same road that day and didn't wreck? She was totally at fault according to all the reports, so please mom, own up to that.
Peanut

Santa Cruz, CA

#26 Nov 18, 2009
Her attorney says they are filing the lawsuit because of the unsafe condition of Mt. Hermon Road. If that is the case, then why sue the other driver! and Ford!

“Oh well, been called worse ”

Since: Sep 09

Santa Cruz

#27 Nov 18, 2009
Geez ,, Now I do feel for your case in regards to suffering from and living life with the results of terrible traffic accident. I cant even begin to tell you i can relate to the difficultys you deal with daily, My empathy goes out for you .

HOWEVER ,, I read and re-read that article and I keep flashing on the words,,,,

"" Pomianowski was driving at an unsafe speed given the wet road conditions when her car crossed the double-yellow line and struck a GMC pickup headed the opposite direction.""

But ,,, This is not a monetary situation for the County Of Santa Cruz.
person

United States

#28 Nov 18, 2009
Yet another who agrees with what's been said.

Hey -- I have an idea ---

the county should not settle this. let it go before a jury. Judging by popular opinion I am thinking it would be dismissed.
turdblossom

San Francisco, CA

#29 Nov 18, 2009
Her injury is a tragedy for sure, but self-inflicited. Their lawyer is very foolish to sue the other driver, what was he doing wrong, driving on the correct side of the roadway? I wouldn't be surprised if he files a countersuit and wins. My advice to the family, hire a better lawyer or just use the money to enjoy your life with a daughter who is still alive.
Seriously

United States

#30 Nov 18, 2009
WTF wrote:
She is the one who should be sued! The two county workers she hit are still recovering as well......
EXACTLY - and she's also suing the folks that SHE HIT? If it's already been determined that she crossed the double line and hit them, how can she sue the very victims of HER OWN ACTIONS? This almost too rediculous to believe...
BTW - this is still very sad, and I feel for her and her family, but come on, GET REAL!
so explain this

United States

#32 Nov 18, 2009
While her situation is tragic, I find it very distasteful that her family feels the need to find blame. That is why its called an "accident" Will the Cal Trans worker that she hit sue HER? Imagine if everybody that was involved in an accident felt the need to sue somebody-like the courts arent overwhelmed already.
Tia

Windsor, CA

#33 Nov 18, 2009
My inclination is to think this suit was initiated by her parents and attorneys and not so much the kid. I'm sorry her life has taken this turn. Really though, was that the first time she'd been on that road? She had no idea how it turned? They should drop this suit an concentrate on helping her heal and deal with what's happened.
slvmom

United States

#34 Nov 18, 2009
I have been so sadden by this accident and follow your website/blog with updates... I do have to admit I was so disappointed to hear of this law suit. At what point do we have to take responsibilities for our actions? Living in this valley she knew the dangers of these roads and I am sure she was taught to SLOW down when it is raining. I believe its in the drives handbook that she studied for her test.
This is a very tragic accident, and if she wants to impact this valley... have her go and share her story at with the youth of this county.
SVRez

United States

#36 Nov 18, 2009
Do you think she is embarrassed by her mom constantly claiming that it all happened "through no fault of her own"? Does mom have a clue what that poor Cal Trans driver has to go through from the result of her daughters reckless driving? Does mom have any compassion for anyone else involved in her daughters accident? Or is it all about the money? Tragic when peoples grief turns into greed.
Mountain Cat

Santa Cruz, CA

#37 Nov 18, 2009
slvmom wrote:
I have been so sadden by this accident and follow your website/blog with updates... I do have to admit I was so disappointed to hear of this law suit. At what point do we have to take responsibilities for our actions? Living in this valley she knew the dangers of these roads and I am sure she was taught to SLOW down when it is raining. I believe its in the drives handbook that she studied for her test.
This is a very tragic accident, and if she wants to impact this valley... have her go and share her story at with the youth of this county.
Well said.
SCGuy

Santa Cruz, CA

#38 Nov 18, 2009
My Dad's whole family was hit head-on by a drunk on Highway 17 in the late 60s. All 6 of them ended up in hospital and 2 of them nearly died. They sued the State, but only because CA refused to put up a Jersey wall on 17. My Dad's family won and now there's a barrier. They did not seek money, only assurance that future danger would be mitigated. I feel for Allie, and have attended some of the fundraisers for her, but demanding compensation for her inexperienced driving is wrong.
seenslv

United States

#39 Nov 18, 2009
Im embarrassed for her mother for being ridiculous. Concentrate on caring for your daughter.
Watsonville resident

Santa Cruz, CA

#40 Nov 18, 2009
I think the 2 county employees should sue for their medical bills and loss of wages. They were innocent bystanders and here comes some irresponsible person who is speeding on wet roadways, tell me who is at fault?
please

Mountain View, CA

#41 Nov 18, 2009
Best wishes for an eventual recovery - but please take responsibility for your own actions. Punishing the person YOU hit and trying to glean money from the taxpayer for your failure to drive safely is beyond the pale.
River rat

Santa Cruz, CA

#42 Nov 18, 2009
Lame...this girl was inexperienced, driving too fast for the conditions and driving a car that is known to spin out...It's too bad her life is so tragically altered, but why should the rest of us pay for it?

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#43 Nov 18, 2009
Jesus H wrote:
Hope the family gets what it wants ..the way things are going now..SC hasn't one red cent ..it can't even find the money to provide toliet paper in its public restrooms !
But they don't mind spending $14.3 million of our money on a defunct railway.

“Oh well, been called worse ”

Since: Sep 09

Santa Cruz

#44 Nov 18, 2009
SCGuy wrote:
My Dad's whole family was hit head-on by a drunk on Highway 17 in the late 60s. All 6 of them ended up in hospital and 2 of them nearly died. They sued the State, but only because CA refused to put up a Jersey wall on 17. My Dad's family won and now there's a barrier. They did not seek money, only assurance that future danger would be mitigated. I feel for Allie, and have attended some of the fundraisers for her, but demanding compensation for her inexperienced driving is wrong.

However, Its my opinion and maybe thats just me, but its my opinion the two roads are entirely different in regards to this issue. It would be like suing the County everytime there was an accident on the downhill part of Hwy 17.

I believe 2 common laws of driving were not utilized that horrible day ,, One reduced speed in foul /rainy weather , and 2 reduced speed on a downhill grade .

I dont feel the people of Santa Cruz County are responsible. I feel the its unfortunate and sad , but the driver is soley responsible in this incident .
Interesting

Healdsburg, CA

#45 Nov 18, 2009
This is from the first post on the blog written by her mother:

"Monday, May 4, 2009
Dear Family & Friends
On April 7 Allie was in a car accident that changed our lives forever. It was a rainy day and an unfortunate accident in which no one was to blame." Deborah

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boulder Creek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
allentown ny inbred (Mar '09) Aug 18 Floyd Gondolli 281
News Coastal Commission votes against Santa Cruza s ... Aug 12 Swiss Mess 14
News Say No to the Nighttime RV Ban at the Coastal C... Aug 11 Parrot 29
News Teen gets life sentence for Beach Hill fatal st... (Aug '10) Jul '16 helms 63
News Human head, remains found in hills; dead man ma... (Oct '08) Jun '16 Anonymous 408 25
News Adobe Animal Hospital, hit by recession, to clo... (Feb '10) May '16 ella seneres 92
News Boulder Creek couple ensure showers available t... (Dec '15) Dec '15 rob 1

Boulder Creek Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Boulder Creek Mortgages