Tears shed for Boulder Creek teen who died in car accident

More than 50 family members and friends gathered at the Felton Bible Church Saturday to celebrate the life of Skylar Feather, the 18-year-old who died in a car accident in January. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
What a shame

Santa Rosa, CA

#1 Feb 22, 2009
A guard rail may have helped, but slowing down would have helped more.

Slow down, kids. It's not worth it.
MRJ

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Feb 22, 2009
Rest in Peace Sky.
I love you buddy.
Dave

San Jose, CA

#3 Feb 22, 2009
it's amazing that main roads like Hwy 9 don't have guard rails .. we spend $10 BILLION a month waging wars around the globe ... yet no money for simple infrastructure at home..... not even a side walk on hwy 9 between the highschool & downtown.
wake up

Moorcroft, WY

#4 Feb 22, 2009
if you want the privileges of adulthood, start acting like adults...you may live to grow old!
downtowner

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Feb 22, 2009
Guard rails don't help shi7 when you drive like an idiot and try to pass another car on a road that is windy and has barely enough room for 2 lanes...

its tragic that this kid died, but it was his own fault, trying to impress his lady friend passenger. So tragic.

Teen driving deaths are mostly related to inexperience... such a shame. Lets not blame his needless death on the lack of guard rails That road isnt a slot car track.
Richard

AOL

#7 Feb 22, 2009
my heart and thoughts go out to the family

I lost my daughter in 03,a child leaving before the parents is not natural
guardrails

Santa Cruz, CA

#8 Feb 22, 2009
Ask any old timer firefighters or cops...those ravines have dark secrets.

Yes on the guardrails. It's 100 years overdue.

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Feb 22, 2009
My heart goes out to the family and friends of this young man.
guardrails wrote:
Unintended consequence of guard rails along this road would be bouncing back into the opposite lane of traffic and causing a head on collision.

We can't child-proof the world. People need to take care themselves while out and about.
shake it

Santa Cruz, CA

#10 Feb 22, 2009
downtowner wrote:
Guard rails don't help shi7 when you drive like an idiot and try to pass another car on a road that is windy and has barely enough room for 2 lanes...
its tragic that this kid died, but it was his own fault, trying to impress his lady friend passenger. So tragic.
Teen driving deaths are mostly related to inexperience... such a shame. Lets not blame his needless death on the lack of guard rails That road isnt a slot car track.

i agree. its very sad that he died, but gaurd rails don't help people who drive like idiots.theres never an exuse for driving like he did.
MRJs Mom

Santa Cruz, CA

#11 Feb 22, 2009
Skylar was a wonderful young man. He made a mistake of judgment. We all do. We miss his open smile and kind heart. To honor his memory, let each of us extend conscious courtesy on the road. It starts in your heart.
My opinion

Milpitas, CA

#12 Feb 22, 2009
guardrails wrote:
While my heart and prayers go out to everyone involved in this horrible tragedy, and I do think that felton empire is a very dangerous road, I dont think guardrails would have made much difference to this kid. Speeding in the rain and trying to pass on a double yellow is just plain stupid, no matter how old you are. I drive past the spot he went off, atleast where the flowers have been placed, and it is not even the steepest part of the road. Felton empire is a steep, scary, dark and quiet road that needs to be respected, when I ride shotgun I alway look down the ravenes and am amazed how steep they are. I think about how long it might be before I would be found if i accidently drove off the edge, and on more then one occasion I have had a-holes in their giant suburbans coming over into my lane with no where for me to go but down. I think most drivers need to just slow down and make it to their destination alive, its better to be late then dead.
speed bumps

United States

#13 Feb 22, 2009
speed bumps in Capitola work great. Try them it will slow everyone down and make your ways so much safer... yes I said speed bumps .. see ya in Capitola the safest place in California to walk and drive.
Dope Fiend

Portland, OR

#14 Feb 22, 2009
Was he high at the time?
westside homeowner

San Jose, CA

#15 Feb 23, 2009
Dope Fiend wrote:
Was he high at the time?
Simply RUDE!
Santa Cruzan

Hayward, CA

#16 Feb 23, 2009
Youth don't always have the brain in gear while in the car. I don't say this to be mean at all. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I can't imagine losing a child at all. I agree with MRJs mom, we need to slow down and show courtesy on the road to other drivers and those on foot and those on bikes.
The Road Less Traveled

Sacramento, CA

#18 Feb 23, 2009
How about building a nice big Memorial Guardrail as reminder to SLOW THE HELL DOWN !!Cars don't kill ..their drivers do.. Don't get me wrong, This was a tragic loss but it was on him not the roadway
fwd thinker

Winsted, CT

#19 Feb 23, 2009
Guard rails? God rails? How about driving In a safe and manner. Speed limit, whats that? " Hold on Averey, here we gooooooooooooooo !
the leaner, meaner f'wd thinker
Mother of a Young Adult

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Feb 23, 2009
Rest in peace, Skylar. To his family and friends, I am so sorry for your loss.

No to the guardrail. Skylar was speeding. Witnesses reported him passing them at high speeds on Felton Empire.

Having in this Valley since I was a child, I think I can safely say no one goes over the edge of the roads unless they are taking a corner too fast. Guardrails WILL cause a vehicle to bounce over to oncoming traffic. Be careful. A car is not a toy.

No to guardrails. Kids, watch your speed on the mountain roads.
Dr Gonzo

Moorestown, NJ

#22 Feb 23, 2009
The repetitive nature of the Sentinel's stories about this kid make him out to be some sort of martyr or hero. Obviously it is a tragedy when a young person dies, but lets not overshadow the fact that he was a victim of his own actions.
Why post that quote about the guardrail, Sentinel? Obviously to pass blame on the state and not on the kid. Your actions are reprehensible. Take a stand against reckless driving.
Arrest them all

Santa Cruz, CA

#23 Feb 23, 2009
If he lived and his passenger died, he'd be facing vehicular manslaughter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boulder Creek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Letters, Oct. 22, 2014: Sherman is wrong for Sa... 11 hr John Colby 9
San Lorenzo Park sees changes (Jun '06) Oct 3 Word on the Street 7
Coming soon to your mail box - November 4 elect... Oct 2 You are sorry 2
Watsonville pilots drill for disaster response Oct 2 I am sorry 1
Business owners fed up with recent vandalism-spree Sep 25 Go Blue Forever 4
entitled punk ass bitch kids Sep '14 old man 1
Santa Cruz County celebrates new cyclist safety... Sep '14 eliot radii 3
Boulder Creek Dating
Find my Match

Boulder Creek Jobs