Cops' disastrous JonBenet mistake

Cops' disastrous JonBenet mistake

There are 119 comments on the NEWS.com.au story from Dec 18, 2016, titled Cops' disastrous JonBenet mistake. In it, NEWS.com.au reports that:

THE first FBI agent to arrive at the scene of JonBenet Ramsey's brutal murder has revealed the catastrophic mistake made by police in Boulder, Colorado. Ron Walker said early errors in the case of the six-year-old beauty queen found dead in the basement of her family home destroyed the case before it even got off the ground.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NEWS.com.au.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Texxy

Spring, TX

#1 Mar 15, 2017
They should have insisted on questioning everyone in the house.

Another thing is that the scene should have been sealed off and the house searched by professionals, not neighbors or the people who lived there. Room by room, systematically.
They didn't even really look for her until the time passed when the kidnapper was supposed to call.

It also seems like they got so focused on a glass of tea with a tea bag being made in the wrong kind of glass and the pineapple having a serving spoon instead of a teaspoon that they lost site of the larger picture.

What they do know is that an awful lot happened from the time they say they arrived home until
911 was called the next morning. The neighbor thought it happened slightly after midnight when they thought they heard a child's blood-curdling scream.
KCinNYC

New York, NY

#2 Mar 15, 2017
Texxy wrote:

Another thing is that the scene should have been sealed off and the house searched by professionals, not neighbors or the people who lived there. Room by room, systematically.
They didn't even really look for her until the time passed when the kidnapper was supposed to call.

It also seems like they got so focused on a glass of tea with a tea bag being made in the wrong kind of glass and the pineapple having a serving spoon instead of a teaspoon that they lost site of the larger picture.

What they do know is that an awful lot happened from the time they say they arrived home until
911 was called the next morning. The neighbor thought it happened slightly after midnight when they thought they heard a child's blood-curdling scream.
Great points. Some think it could have been Patsy's scream.
Texxy

Spring, TX

#3 Mar 15, 2017
KCinNYC wrote:
<quoted text>

I have also thought about that angle. Now, what do you think made Patsy scream?
Texxy

Spring, TX

#4 Mar 15, 2017
KCinNYC wrote:
<quoted text>

The most odd thing was how they quarantined Burke in his room, but they hadn't cleared the house to make sure someone wasn't still in there. Unless they knew that there was no intruder, why would they leave Burke in his bed on a second floor room away from everyone else?

Patsy said it was a 15 room rambling house and people could have been hiding here and there and that they would never know. I think it is very creepy that they let the kids play down in the basement, unsupervised, after hours. I would think that there would be a door down to the basement and it would be locked when everyone went to bed, especially since it would be easy for someone to slip in through the windows (no security system down there) and come up from the basement. I am not blaming them. It's just some points of interest.

Other people said they wouldn't separate the siblings sleeping/playing quarters unless there was a reason to. Was there a reason to?
kauna

United States

#5 Mar 15, 2017
KCinNYC wrote:
<quoted text>

Bricky Burke toooo
Texxy

Spring, TX

#6 Mar 15, 2017
kauna wrote:
<quoted text>

Bricky Burke toooo
BURKE (verb)
The verb BURKE has 2 senses:

1. murder without leaving a trace on the body
2. get rid of, silence, or suppress

Familiarity information: BURKE used as a verb is rare.

This is so creepy. I wonder if the family knew this when they named him.
kauna

United States

#7 Mar 15, 2017
Texxy wrote:
<quoted text>

The most odd thing was how they quarantined Burke in his room, but they hadn't cleared the house to make sure someone wasn't still in there. Unless they knew that there was no intruder, why would they leave Burke in his bed on a second floor room away from everyone else?

Patsy said it was a 15 room rambling house and people could have been hiding here and there and that they would never know. I think it is very creepy that they let the kids play down in the basement, unsupervised, after hours. I would think that there would be a door down to the basement and it would be locked when everyone went to bed, especially since it would be easy for someone to slip in through the windows (no security system down there) and come up from the basement. I am not blaming them. It's just some points of interest.

Other people said they wouldn't separate the siblings sleeping/playing quarters unless there was a reason to. Was there a reason to?
Burke questions r on point.
WHY exactly WASN'T John Ramsey carrying That MAG LIGHT for hell, how bout any reason u could fathom.?????
.....Cause he held a bat, golf club or Jack Chit in his Protective Daddy Handz?
Bingo is called on your card texxy.:)

Since: Aug 16

Darby, PA

#8 Mar 15, 2017
Texxy wrote:

There is no question that mistakes were made by the Police, but to be fair most of these were not unforced errors. From the moment the Police responded to the call they were told to take it easy on the Ramseys because of their prominence in the community. The DA would not let the Police conduct a proper investigation, and the one person who had the "nerve" to try to properly lead a homicide investigation without giving the parents special treatment, Commander John Eller was slandered and fired promptly, they made an example out of him. The fix was in early on in this case, I mean they let Pam Paugh haul a Uhaul worth of evidence out of the house the next day.
KCinNYC

New York, NY

#9 Mar 15, 2017
Texxy wrote:
<quoted text>

I have also thought about that angle. Now, what do you think made Patsy scream?
Oh, I can't think of....oh, wait,
Um, seeing little JBR passed out on the floor and her pants are pulled down, theres some blood, and, that homemade garrott (or something else if you believe she was strangled twice, once by Brick, twice by garott to cover up Bricks strangulation marks)? Maybe THAT?
KCinNYC

New York, NY

#10 Mar 15, 2017
Texxy wrote:
<quoted text>

Well, Brick was an odd, angst like anxiety like kid who seemed to have issues. I prolly would have protected him too, kept him away from the scene at hand, but, I would have had another adult in his room with him. Or a cop.
KCinNYC

New York, NY

#11 Mar 15, 2017
Texxy wrote:
<quoted text>

-snip-
Regarding parenting decisions: combination of stupidity, narcissism and just bad parenting skills?

Since: Aug 16

Darby, PA

#12 Mar 15, 2017
KCinNYC wrote:
<quoted text>

Well, Brick was an odd, angst like anxiety like kid who seemed to have issues. I prolly would have protected him too, kept him away from the scene at hand, but, I would have had another adult in his room with him. Or a cop.
Come on write Burke's actual name just like Bill McReynolds who you also consider a viable suspect.
KCinNYC

New York, NY

#13 Mar 15, 2017
kauna wrote:
<quoted text>

Bricky Burke toooo
Ahhh, yes, I never thought it could possibly be a Brick scream. I think a boys voice doesn't change til 12 or 13 right?
Or dare I say possibly John screams like a girl?
KCinNYC

New York, NY

#14 Mar 15, 2017
Texxy wrote:
<quoted text>

BURKE (verb)

Way to creepy.
This whole case has been creepy from the get go.
Too many weird things happened around it, too.
Won't get into that.
KCinNYC

New York, NY

#15 Mar 15, 2017
Texxy wrote:
<quoted text>

-I think it is very creepy that they let the kids play down in the basement, unsupervised, after hours. I would think that there would be a door down to the basement and it would be locked when everyone went to bed, especially since it would be easy for someone to slip in through the windows (no security system down there) and come up from the basement. I am not blaming them. It's just some points of interest.

-snip-
Wait, how would/do you know there was no security system in the basement?
berrytea333

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Mar 15, 2017
Texxy wrote:
<quoted text>

BURKE (verb)

*heavy sigh*

Gender: M Meaning of Burke: "from the fortress" Origin of Burke: French

https://nameberry.com/babyname/Burke

Since: Sep 16

Location hidden

#17 Mar 16, 2017
berrytea333 wrote:
<quoted text>

*heavy sigh*

Gender: M Meaning of Burke: "from the fortress" Origin of Burke: French

https://nameberry.com/babyname/Burke
Thanks, Berry Tea. I've already posted where the term "burking" in the sense of homicide without visible traces comes from--the 19th century murder spree of grave robbers and murderers William Burke and William Hare in Edinburgh. It was basically slang at that time and area.I don't think it was widely used here but do not know for sure. Recent and somewhat similar examples of this would be "going postal" for a disgruntled worker going on a mass murder spree or "catfishing", used to indicate someone pretending to be someone else and a different gender on the internet. If I thought long enough, there may be an example from modern times that involves using someone's name and turning it into a verb associated with something that person did, but can't think of one offhand. Regardless, their choosing the name Burke has nothing to do with an old Scottish slang from the 1800s era.
Texxy

Spring, TX

#18 Mar 16, 2017
KCinNYC wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, how would/do you know there was no security system in the basement?
The main part of the house had a wired security system, but the basement wasn't part of it.
The Ramseys didn't even have a baby monitor and JonBenet routinely wet her bed, changed her clothes and then went to Burke's bedroom. Does this seem like a normal set-up to you?

Since: Oct 16

Location hidden

#19 Mar 16, 2017
Steve Eller wrote:
<quoted text>

There is no question that mistakes were made by the Police, but to be fair most of these were not unforced errors. From the moment the Police responded to the call they were told to take it easy on the Ramseys because of their prominence in the community. The DA would not let the Police conduct a proper investigation, and the one person who had the "nerve" to try to properly lead a homicide investigation without giving the parents special treatment, Commander John Eller was slandered and fired promptly, they made an example out of him. The fix was in early on in this case, I mean they let Pam Paugh haul a Uhaul worth of evidence out of the house the next day.
Steve, here's a quote from PMPT, p. 9 (hardback version): "Judging by what Eller heard from officers at the scene, the Ramseys appeared to be part of Boulder's elite.'Credible millionaires' was a phrase one officer used. Obviously, Eller felt, these were people you had to treat with respect, not people you wanted to offend."

I know this is just one author's assessment, but throughout the book Eller is not portrayed well. He is extremely hard-headed, won't accept help from any other LE agency, and won't cooperate with the D.A. The one good thing Schiller says about him is that his men respected him and stood behind his decisions.
Truth

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Mar 16, 2017
I think Texxy did it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boulder Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Boulder Santa Stunned By Children's Christmas W... (Dec '08) 5 hr C Kersey 11
News Eagle Crest High School band teacher faces char... (Feb '18) 18 hr Pete Molave 2
Judges and Jail Corruption, Jefferson County, G... 18 hr Pete Molave 2
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Tue Thomas23 757
Don't Change CO Into The Place You Just Left !! Dec 10 URnutz 2
News JonBenet Ramsey: Twenty Years of Plot Twists in... (Dec '16) Dec 10 BrotherMoon 17
Longmont Music Thread (May '17) Nov '18 Musikologist 2

Boulder Jobs

Personal Finance

Boulder Mortgages