Man jumps off the Hoover Dam

Posted in the Boulder City Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mark Conner

Las Vegas, NV

#1 May 15, 2006
I was visiting to Hoover Dam last night when a cop walked up to us and said we had to got to the other side. When I asked why he said he was setting up a crime scene. He said that someone just jumped off the dam to commit suicide. I couldn't find it in myself to look over but my friend did and said he seen him lying down at the bottom. I was wondering why this sort of thing was not in the news? How often does this happen?
Sweet-N-Low

Irvine, CA

#2 Jul 3, 2006
From what I've heard, all the time. More than you know. But let's face it, could Las Vegas report everytime someone jump off one of their high rise buildings to commit suicide. Just a few years back some kid planned his jump I believe it was off the top of the Stratasphere into the front entrance.
Stacy

Blue Springs, MO

#3 Jul 10, 2006
I heard that they never report suicides on the news.
bobby

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Nov 8, 2006
i used to work down at the dam at the cafeteria and people jumped all the time but it never makes the papers i guess they dont want bad publicity or to give any one else bad ideas
Christine

Las Vegas, NV

#5 May 17, 2007
I worked down there in a tourist shop in 1986 and saw a man jump. I still have nightmares about it to this day. People jump all the time, and it rarely makes the news. Too many have jumped to their deaths. The Golden Gate Bridge is supposedly the #1 suicide site in the U.S. They keep a tally on the suicides (currently over 1200). I think both Hoover and the GG should have suicide barriers erected.
patrick boston

Boston, MA

#6 May 19, 2007
I recently visited the hoover dam and was amazed that there was no fence, glass or barrier only a 30 inch concrete ledge. I am a large man and could easily have thrown a dozen japanese tourists off before anyone said boo.
tom

Deal, UK

#8 Jun 21, 2007
I'M 6FT 7, the wall was below my waste lol
Tony

Foothill Ranch, CA

#9 Jul 15, 2007
so how many people total at the dam have jumped
Jamie

North Las Vegas, NV

#10 Feb 25, 2008
I work at the Dam. Not that many people have jumped compared to other places there have been 98 that have jumped since the Dam was built. None have ever accidentally fallen.
Derek Mandaly

Houston, TX

#11 Apr 16, 2008
Was the guy that jumped hurt at all?
arin d

Adona, AR

#12 Apr 29, 2008
wow who would jump fo the Hoover dam
halei r

Adona, AR

#14 Apr 29, 2008
your retarted
arin

Adona, AR

#15 Apr 30, 2008
so whts up
arin

Adona, AR

#16 Apr 30, 2008
hey kristen brothers
my name

Amarillo, TX

#17 May 7, 2008
that would be stupid
Charley

Las Vegas, NV

#18 Aug 2, 2008
Derek Mandaly wrote:
No he was fine, maybe next time your there you can try
SAVING THE CITY

Azusa, CA

#19 Oct 1, 2008
Charley wrote:
<quoted text>
No he was fine, maybe next time your there you can try
I have to say this is a response that is not at all funny. However I do believe it did answer a pretty silly question. When you jump off the Hover Dam you die that is why they call it suicide because they know that when they jump.
hoover guest

Capistrano Beach, CA

#20 Oct 19, 2008
Derek Mandaly wrote:
No I think he just sprained his ankle (what do you think?)
cullen

United States

#21 Nov 24, 2008
I just visited there and was amazed at the huge drop with such little wall.
george jetson

New Lenox, IL

#22 Dec 31, 2008
i jumped in '94 and made it out with only a broken finger. stupid amateur jumpers. you have to roll off the ledge so you can catch the top of the dam and slide down. it's pretty fun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boulder City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay teen las vegas (Jun '16) 16 hr CcD1213 9
How to fill Lake Mead back up 20 hr Raydot 1
KingCapSports (May '17) Wed Geo 16
Why oh why do I screw fat chicks Jan 17 Gary 5
News Fight breaks out in downtown Las Vegas after ML... Jan 16 steel 2
Guy Houck the meth dealer snitch (Jun '16) Jan 16 Bobbi 18
I want to move to Las Vegas Jan 16 Raydot 2

Boulder City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance