Orca Network

United States

#1 Feb 20, 2013
Miami Seaquarium, Miami FL – Lolita’s Story

Lolita is a 42 year old captive killer whale (orca) living at the Miami Seaquarium in Florida. Since her brutal capture in 1970, she has been kept in a tank that is illegal by the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) standards for size requirements. Lolita is approximately 21 feet long and 7,000 pounds. Her tank is 20 feet deep at the deepest point and a mere 12 feet deep around the edges. The pool is only 35 feet wide. The Miami Seaquarium is considered to be one of the most dilapidated aquatic parks in the world. It is in need of major repairs, and per the Marine Mammal Inventory Report, has a substantial death rate for their animals.

www.savelolita.com

This letter is on behalf of Lolita the orca whale that’s in an illegal tank. I think she should be free. I do care about her. No whale should live in appalling circumstances as Lolita. I’ve been talking to a lady who is an activist who is trying to get Lolita out of that tiny tank. I met her via the Orca Network. I’m glad that I met her. It’s nice to talk to somebody who is passionate about whales like me. I wrote a letter to Arthur Hurtz a long tome ago but he didn’t respond. He knows he’s in the wrong for having Lolita there.

This is another example of the contempt shown to other animals by their human cousins. This enclosure is clearly unsuitable for this poor orca living a life more than miserable. It would be great if it could be re-introduced to its own kind in the wild. I am surprised that America does not have better animal protection laws. There is obviously much work to be done in this area. It must be made illegal there is nnot a tank large enough to keep these beautiful creatures including dolphines. Liberate them Now.

“Fred Scuttle 4 Prez.”

Since: Feb 08

Miami

#2 Feb 20, 2013
I agree. Herehere!

Didn't Hugo and Lolita have a baby whale in the 70's? If so, what happened to it?
Orca Network

United States

#3 Feb 20, 2013
Sadly it did not survive and Hugo committed suicide by banging his head against the concrete in the pool until he died and then the trainers decided it was time to remove him from the tank. But I could not imagine two whales of that size livin in that little tank. I say we take the owner of th park and lock him in a tiny room where all he could do is turn in a circle and that's it.

“Fred Scuttle 4 Prez.”

Since: Feb 08

Miami

#4 Feb 24, 2013
So sad for a social creature like an Orca to spend its entire life captive in a tiny concrete tank having to "perform" multiple times a day. All to make a buck for someone.
Orca Network

Haughton, LA

#5 Mar 3, 2013
Everyone please go and watch this movie today. It is the first screening in Miami and I highly recommend it. The movie is called Blackfish.

We're getting excited for our first screening at the Miami International Film Festival later on today. Check out their website for more details about when the film is playing: http://dogwoof.org/YNavGE
ADAM THE MACHO LIFEGUARD

Miami, FL

#6 Mar 3, 2013
YOU KNOW I HAVE BEEN CALLED A SPERM WHALE BY ALOT OF MARRIED CUBAN WOMEN WHO USED TO VISIT MY STAND.

“A REAL MAN OF COURAGE! ”

Since: Mar 11

Chinatown, New York

#7 Mar 4, 2013
ADAM THE MACHO LIFEGUARD wrote:
YOU KNOW I HAVE BEEN CALLED A SPERM WHALE BY ALOT OF MARRIED CUBAN WOMEN WHO USED TO VISIT MY STAND.
You have also been called the "jellyfish" because you lack a backbone.
Orca Network

Shreveport, LA

#8 Mar 22, 2013
We've shared this wonderful video a few times but please check out this heartbreaking scene, as Lolita listens to a tape recording of her family pod's calls in the wild, from her tiny horrible tank! You can see the emotion in her as she leans over the tank railings (which is something she otherwise never does).

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bostwick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
16m looking to Skype any woman 6 hr zachary 1
MIAMI COP Crowdfunding for Shooting Lessons ! 9 hr Annie Lummox - Au... 7
What is up with Lynn Martinez's face? (Jan '15) 11 hr FrankR1 10
who is dora stanley? 17 hr Stan Yenz 4
Whatever happened to Adam the Macho Lifeguard 17 hr Stan Yenz 23
News Van Zant family at center of House race; lawmak... Wed Vanzantisaweiner 1
Significant Moment in African American History ... Aug 23 Food Stamp Queen 2

Bostwick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance