Fire chief charged with felony DWI

Fire chief charged with felony DWI

There are 23 comments on the WIVB story from Oct 4, 2012, titled Fire chief charged with felony DWI. In it, WIVB reports that:

The North Collins fire chief is facing felony charges, stemming from an incident at the Lakeview Hotel in Mayville on September 30th.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WIVB.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
facts

Gowanda, NY

#1 Oct 5, 2012
I hope they fry his AZZ and the Alessis don't get him off!
Edwin

Gowanda, NY

#2 Oct 7, 2012
WTH are you talking about? Alessis only covers Gowanda not North Collins. Why should he get "fried"? He's a freakin VOLUNTEER fire fighter. Not like others don't do the same thing. Get over yourself. You should like a real hater.
southtowner area resident

Gowanda, NY

#3 Oct 8, 2012
Edwin wrote:
WTH are you talking about? Alessis only covers Gowanda not North Collins. Why should he get "fried"? He's a freakin VOLUNTEER fire fighter. Not like others don't do the same thing. Get over yourself. You should like a real hater.
..........many volunteer fireman drink alot and are bullies in every town..........they ruin the reputation for the good ones..........it only comes out when they get caught..........so this needs to be made a big one for the rest of the volunteer fireman and communities to see..........he lied and did not even admit to his past 2 dwis and had a revoked license..........his priority is safety, to the community no matter what..........fireman need to be drug and alcohol tested, radomly..........we pay taxes for them, they get retirment, disability, property tax credits and college and a
status" that they think makes them better, or in control more than anyone else....
.they should at least be sober and responsible........some role model !
Volunteer too

Boston, MA

#4 Oct 8, 2012
The man is a binge drinker. If u saw him or knew him any other time than when he was out partying you would sware he was a poster boy for volunteers. Did he make some bad judgement calls in the past ten years? Absolutely! Now he will probably loose is job, be jailed, and have fines and bills which would bury anyone for life. Should anyone feel sorry? Only for those he let down and had much higher expectations. Only he knows the answers to the questions so many have and my guess is none of us will ever find out. Thankfully the only one he hurt is himself. One thing I will say is that far fewer volunteers drink now and if they do they do not respond because those benefits get denied if a person is hurt and found intoxicated. Please don't lump volunteers into the drunk category, the overwhelming majority have seen the damages and know the price.

Gowanda, NY

#5 Oct 8, 2012
Volunteer too wrote:
The man is a binge drinker. If u saw him or knew him any other time than when he was out partying you would sware he was a poster boy for volunteers. Did he make some bad judgement calls in the past ten years? Absolutely! Now he will probably loose is job, be jailed, and have fines and bills which would bury anyone for life. Should anyone feel sorry? Only for those he let down and had much higher expectations. Only he knows the answers to the questions so many have and my guess is none of us will ever find out. Thankfully the only one he hurt is himself. One thing I will say is that far fewer volunteers drink now and if they do they do not respond because those benefits get denied if a person is hurt and found intoxicated. Please don't lump volunteers into the drunk category, the overwhelming majority have seen the damages and know the price.
I understand what you are saying...but some areas have more drinking than others. You know that drinking was the big thing before. Many would join just ofr that!.........and to give a license plate to deter any problems because"I am a fireman and invincible!"......People can see them when they drive by certain firehalls drinking and smoking. they should not even be smoking at firehalls OR on calls, for that matter, or in the fire trucks anymore, either.........things are changing everywhere because tax payers are watching out because they have to now..........and, this guy even removed his interlock system?.........binge drinking is just as bad. blackouts occur , anytime. seems like you know him well, to now that......So, he is a liar, also..........I do not need to know anymore, It is wrong, over and over again until he kills some one.....fireman need extensive background and drug checks just like any job or any other job/volunteer positions that take care of people and /or drive.......there would prob be alot less volunteering.......or, just better screening for the right one!!........and yes, you may have some fantastic firehalls, but tax payers know which ones have the most bad apples or bullies..........safety first........they take oaths and have training..........they don't know the difference between right and wrong?.........hooray for the true fireman who have integrity...paid or volunteer
Edwin

Gowanda, NY

#6 Oct 9, 2012
Gimme a break.You are talking small town VOLUNTEER firemen. That's an issue that the local fire department should be dealing with whether to lay down the law about drinking at the hall or not....drinking during a fire call or not.

Firemen are not known to be upstanding citizens in these little towns. They don't get paid. What he does in his personal life is none of your business.

Seems firemen in this area are not all that devoted. They are more interested in the social part of it.

If the court tells a person they cannot drive then it's up to the fire department to make sure they are not driving. It's up to the fire department if they don't allow drinking to follow through with their rules. I do agree that no smoking should be allowed in the fire trucks but it's the department's business if smoking is allowed in a hall or not. If you start telling volunteers what they can and cannot do within the department that is unreasonable then you will lose volunteers.

I happen to agree that there shouldn't be drinking allowed AT ALL in the fire hall. Absolutely no driving to a call if a person has even had one drink. It's a fact that most volunteer firemen have some kind of issues/addictions.

It's up to the NC what to do about this fire chief.

Gowanda, NY

#7 Oct 9, 2012
Edwin wrote:
Gimme a break.You are talking small town VOLUNTEER firemen. That's an issue that the local fire department should be dealing with whether to lay down the law about drinking at the hall or not....drinking during a fire call or not.
Firemen are not known to be upstanding citizens in these little towns. They don't get paid. What he does in his personal life is none of your business.
Seems firemen in this area are not all that devoted. They are more interested in the social part of it.
If the court tells a person they cannot drive then it's up to the fire department to make sure they are not driving. It's up to the fire department if they don't allow drinking to follow through with their rules. I do agree that no smoking should be allowed in the fire trucks but it's the department's business if smoking is allowed in a hall or not. If you start telling volunteers what they can and cannot do within the department that is unreasonable then you will lose volunteers.
I happen to agree that there shouldn't be drinking allowed AT ALL in the fire hall. Absolutely no driving to a call if a person has even had one drink. It's a fact that most volunteer firemen have some kind of issues/addictions.
It's up to the NC what to do about this fire chief.
that is fair enough!.....but lying and having no license is wrong no matter what!.........as far as smoking and drinking, we see it.........the firehall basically is a public buidling(fireman do not own it like they think they do), espcially when it comes to their fundraisers and barbecues and holidays and they drink and smoke there....i see it with my kids..........in erie county smoking is banned at ALL public building, like libraries etc), so this basically is a public building and funded with my taxes...certain firehalls further out are never transparent about anything. they just do what they want on and off the firehall job.......they can wait to smoke and drink when they get home because most of them just live next door or a few steps away, anyway..........actually, they need to walk home to prevent the next dwi or accident..........fireman should be the only ones driving the vehicles with the fire dept plates ,also....family members should not be doing this when they are not fireman..........volunteers do not get paid but they reap the benefits and with my taxes..........they are supposed to be role models, as well, for the junior fireman......I see alot of arrogance continuing.....it is wrong and many good people do not want to join because of that..........the good ole boys do not want change or outsiders aboard ..........we have way too many volunteer fireman in our area........that tells you something at a time when that cannot get volunteers other places!
Edwin

Gowanda, NY

#8 Oct 9, 2012
southtowner area resident wrote:
<quoted text> that is fair enough!.....but lying and having no license is wrong no matter what!.........as far as smoking and drinking, we see it.........the firehall basically is a public buidling(fireman do not own it like they think they do), espcially when it comes to their fundraisers and barbecues and holidays and they drink and smoke there....i see it with my kids..........in erie county smoking is banned at ALL public building, like libraries etc), so this basically is a public building and funded with my taxes...certain firehalls further out are never transparent about anything. they just do what they want on and off the firehall job.......they can wait to smoke and drink when they get home because most of them just live next door or a few steps away, anyway..........actually, they need to walk home to prevent the next dwi or accident..........fireman should be the only ones driving the vehicles with the fire dept plates ,also....family members should not be doing this when they are not fireman..........volunteers do not get paid but they reap the benefits and with my taxes..........they are supposed to be role models, as well, for the junior fireman......I see alot of arrogance continuing.....it is wrong and many good people do not want to join because of that..........the good ole boys do not want change or outsiders aboard ..........we have way too many volunteer fireman in our area........that tells you something at a time when that cannot get volunteers other places!
Some good points. I'm not sure about Collins or North Collins, but do they allow smoking in their hall? Gowanda doesn't. There's also zero tolerance for drinking at the hall even if there is a dinner. The only time there is is when it's a fund raiser. When you get to small halls like Lawtons or Langford, those guys are crazy so no sense telling them what to do.lol

Maybe North Collins fire department board will decide to put the Chief on suspension for 6 months. It's up to them and not the town board. Obviously the guy has drinking issues or he wouldn't have gotten a DWI.

What benefits do the volunteer FF get? I know of none. No retirement. No health care. No pay. Nothing. Gowanda/Collins doesn't have enough volunteers. There is also concern that young people have such little interest, what is going to happen on down the road. You can't get volunteers ANYWHERE. People are too selfish to give up some of their precious time.

Gowanda, NY

#9 Oct 10, 2012
Edwin wrote:
<quoted text>
Some good points. I'm not sure about Collins or North Collins, but do they allow smoking in their hall? Gowanda doesn't. There's also zero tolerance for drinking at the hall even if there is a dinner. The only time there is is when it's a fund raiser. When you get to small halls like Lawtons or Langford, those guys are crazy so no sense telling them what to do.lol
Maybe North Collins fire department board will decide to put the Chief on suspension for 6 months. It's up to them and not the town board. Obviously the guy has drinking issues or he wouldn't have gotten a DWI.
What benefits do the volunteer FF get? I know of none. No retirement. No health care. No pay. Nothing. Gowanda/Collins doesn't have enough volunteers. There is also concern that young people have such little interest, what is going to happen on down the road. You can't get volunteers ANYWHERE. People are too selfish to give up some of their precious time.
On the Erie County side near your area, the fire departmens do NOT have zero tolerance....They also get free college, as of this year, fireman get property tax breaks, receive disability and retirement benefits if they are " active" duty......I know of over 60 fireman .,doubt they are active!!! you always see the same 10.........check some town websites...you will see.......we do not need that many getting all thes breaks tax money pays for....you are in Catt co, so it may be fdifferent, but this is around the corner from you. They also have enough junior volunteers following in the footsteps of some of those bad apples.....and they get college for free, but taxpayers, ME, pay for it?.........I would agree with all of it except many have seen alot of disrepect and partying with some halls and they simply do not serve it........
fireman

Gowanda, NY

#10 Oct 10, 2012
<quoted text>On the Erie County side near your area, the fire departmens do NOT have zero tolerance....They also get free college, as of this year, fireman get property tax breaks, receive disability and retirement benefits if they are " active" duty......I know of over 60 fireman .,doubt they are active!!! you always see the same 10.........check some town websites...you will see.......we do not need that many getting all thes breaks tax money pays for....you are in Catt co, so it may be fdifferent, but this is around the corner from you. They also have enough junior volunteers following in the footsteps of some of those bad apples.....and they get college for free, but taxpayers, ME, pay for it?.........I would agree with all of it except many have seen alot of disrepect and partying with some halls and they simply do not serve it........
news to me
taxpayer

Gowanda, NY

#11 Oct 10, 2012
fireman wrote:
<quoted text>
news to me
take the blinders off..........that is why they have trouble getting volunteers in gowanda because they banned alcohol. That needs to be that way in all firehalls...
fireman

Gowanda, NY

#12 Oct 11, 2012
taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text> take the blinders off..........that is why they have trouble getting volunteers in gowanda because they banned alcohol. That needs to be that way in all firehalls...
you saying that they should have alcohol in order to get volunteers?
taxpayer

Gowanda, NY

#13 Oct 11, 2012
fireman wrote:
<quoted text>
you saying that they should have alcohol in order to get volunteers?
Heck no.....just to show you that when they cannot drink and party at at hall , they drop out or go to one that does! The ones that allow it have the most volunteers.........We only need about 10 good, honest fireman at a hall....Not over 75 people..........radom alcohol and drug testing will be coming soon anyway....that will" weed "out more of them out! even the pot smokers!.........if you have nothing to hide, you will be just fine!
Anonymous

Carson, VA

#14 Oct 13, 2012
<quoted text>..........many volunteer fireman drink alot and are bullies in every town..........they ruin the reputation for the good ones..........it only comes out when they get caught..........so this needs to be made a big one for the rest of the volunteer fireman and communities to see..........he lied and did not even admit to his past 2 dwis and had a revoked license..........his priority is safety, to the community no matter what..........fireman need to be drug and alcohol tested, radomly..........we pay taxes for them, they get retirment, disability, property tax credits and college and a
status" that they think makes them better, or in control more than anyone else....
.they should at least be sober and responsible........some role model !
This is what the firemen do. Your house catches fire. They run in and cause all the destruction in the house with water and knocking holes everywhere, then you look and the jewelery box has been pilfered, the Rolex is gone, the coins and stamps are gone. A bigger bunch of thieves I have never met!
fireman

Gowanda, NY

#15 Oct 13, 2012
Wloclawek Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what the firemen do. Your house catches fire. They run in and cause all the destruction in the house with water and knocking holes everywhere, then you look and the jewelery box has been pilfered, the Rolex is gone, the coins and stamps are gone. A bigger bunch of thieves I have never met!
You must have done this in a house or two since you know so much.
Next time your house is on fire you better hope the firemen come to knock it down. You are an idiot.
fireman

Gowanda, NY

#16 Oct 13, 2012
taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text> Heck no.....just to show you that when they cannot drink and party at at hall , they drop out or go to one that does! The ones that allow it have the most volunteers.........We only need about 10 good, honest fireman at a hall....Not over 75 people..........radom alcohol and drug testing will be coming soon anyway....that will" weed "out more of them out! even the pot smokers!.........if you have nothing to hide, you will be just fine!
You obviously know this from experience? What fire hall are you referring to?
taxpayer

Gowanda, NY

#17 Oct 13, 2012
fireman wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously know this from experience? What fire hall are you referring to?
If you are a fireman around there, I am sure you know......If not, you can find out....if you are an honest, sober fireman , you have nothing to be concerned about.........Fireman cover for each other, as well......But incidents are becoming more severe and the proof will become public on their own accord..........
fireman

Gowanda, NY

#18 Oct 13, 2012
taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>If you are a fireman around there, I am sure you know......If not, you can find out....if you are an honest, sober fireman , you have nothing to be concerned about.........Fireman cover for each other, as well......But incidents are becoming more severe and the proof will become public on their own accord..........
yeah okay genius. whatever.
taxpayer

Gowanda, NY

#20 Oct 14, 2012
fireman wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah okay genius. whatever.
..common sense.....people see it all the time....no hard feelings with the honorable fireman.
Anonymous

Carson, VA

#21 Oct 24, 2012
fireman wrote:
<quoted text>
You must have done this in a house or two since you know so much.
Next time your house is on fire you better hope the firemen come to knock it down. You are an idiot.
No, fireman, I would never call upon you, I would use my garden hose before calling on the likes of you,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 23 Undocumented Immigrants Arrested Outside Ham... Feb 15 tomin cali 3
Orchard Park Music Selection (Aug '12) Jan 26 Musikologist 15
Rip-off business!!!! Dec '16 rob miskell 1
News Carjacking & police chase in Hamburg (Jun '08) Dec '16 sirianniregdosbut... 30
News Sanctuary city mayors prepare for clash with Tr... Nov '16 Tim McVeigh 7
The FBI has the courage to RIGHT the WRONGS Oct '16 Justice for ALL 1
this trooper is a real msn Sep '16 patience 1

Boston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Boston Mortgages