Yard banner for deployed U.S. Marine ...

Yard banner for deployed U.S. Marine sparks legal tussle

There are 8 comments on the WGN-TV Chicago story from Jul 25, 2011, titled Yard banner for deployed U.S. Marine sparks legal tussle. In it, WGN-TV Chicago reports that:

When Corey Burr left to serve with U.S. forces in Afghanistan in January, his parents erected a banner in their front yard with his photo and a message: "Our son defends our freedom". Now Timothy and Jodi Burr are entangled in a legal dispute with their Louisiana homeowners' association that has demanded the sign come down.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGN-TV Chicago.

Alane Mercer

Allentown, PA

#1 Jul 26, 2011
I think this homeowners association (would like to know which one it is) is out of its mind. If not for what their son is doing - Defending our Freedom - they wouldn't have an association. These young men and women live in the worst conditions possible every day while deployed in a "WAR" zone. They are shot at every day, IEDs take their toll every day and these so called "homeowners assoc boards" have absolutely no idea what it is like for our military. We should all have signs in our yard for these brave men and women. The association board should get out and see how the real people live - the people who actually own the houses there. I am on the side of this family. Get rid of the HOA
notinchicago

Chicago, IL

#2 Jul 28, 2011
Take the sign down! Your neighbors don't appreciate it and it violates the HOA rules!!!
KajunBabyGirl

Detroit, MI

#3 Aug 12, 2011
notinchicago wrote:
Take the sign down! Your neighbors don't appreciate it and it violates the HOA rules!!!
Sure - they should take the sign down...with one stipulation! They should take the sign down when you carry your behind over to Afghanistan or Iraq - to fight insurgents - like the Taliban, dodge IED's daily & run sweeps through some of the villages...never knowing who is friend or foe. YOU GO TAKE THEIR SON'S PLACE...and I'm more than sure that they'll comply with you and your idiotic HOA and take the sign down. Instead of fighting to have the sign removed your subdivision should be proud to say that you have a young man fighting for his country.
If you had one ounce of patriotism - you'd put a sign in your yard, thanking this young man for his service and affording you the ability of sitting in your comfy little house with all of it's amenities....including your self serving HOA. If you and your HOA had hearts, pride in your country and appreciated every minute with your loved ones - you'd remember that this young man is putting his life on the line to keep unappreciative ingrates like you free. Get a life and a cause worth fighting for! IN FACT, WHY DON'T YOU ATTEND THE FUNERALS OF THE TWO SHREVEPORT NAVY SEALS...LOOK THEIR PARENTS SQUARE IN THE EYES AND TELL THEM THAT YOU ARE SORRY FOR THEIR LOSS BUT YOUR HOA DOESN'T ALLOW SIGNS OR BANNERS - STATING THE NEIGHBORHOOD'S PRIDE IN IT'S YOUNG MEN SERVING!
You're a sad, sad example of an American! You make me sick to my stomach but you EMBARRASS me MORE, JUST BY KNOWING THERE ARE AMERICAN'S LIKE YOU!
Why don't you take up the cause of enforcing the pet leash law....

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#4 Aug 25, 2011
This is a HOA issue, though. When you live in a community with rules like this, you have to abide by them, regardless of your intent. Patriotism has nothing to do with a HOA agreement. Legally speaking, I do not believe a HOA is bound by the same public standards and constitutional constraints. A HOA can enforce their rules in this fashion. No preferential treatment should be given. Someone's grand LSU banner could be next on the block, but if a precedent is set, then the whole HOA system has no credibility whatsoever. You have to apply these kinds of rules across the board.

As for patriotism, many hide behind the word nowadays, but very few actually possess the emotional restraint to even remotely consider them reasonable people. Take KajunBabyGirl's post above mine. It's quite rude. I've met many soldiers in this area who are equally shameless, so forgive me if I choose to selectively apply my patriotism to people who are more deserving of my appreciation. Enlisting is voluntary and our tax dollars go to help pay for their education, well being, and their families, too. I do not support troops who mouth off all the time. You can be flagrant about service or proud of it, but one is more respectable than the other.

It is really getting out of control. It sounds a lot like an entitlement mentality. You can be offended all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that you are becoming a very loud obnoxious bunch. It makes me lose respect for you really fast.

Legally, this is a HOA issue. If you can't separate yourself from your emotions, you really can't give any additional insight into how to resolve this problem. This is Shreveport/Bossier, after all. It's not like we're going to get a diverse response. We've got a rank and file military crowd here. It's no surprise that all sensibility is lost when they are challenged for violating the rules they agreed to.
abcdefg

United States

#5 Aug 26, 2011
waveform wrote:
This is a HOA issue, though. When you live in a community with rules like this, you have to abide by them, regardless of your intent. Patriotism has nothing to do with a HOA agreement. Legally speaking, I do not believe a HOA is bound by the same public standards and constitutional constraints. A HOA can enforce their rules in this fashion. No preferential treatment should be given. Someone's grand LSU banner could be next on the block, but if a precedent is set, then the whole HOA system has no credibility whatsoever. You have to apply these kinds of rules across the board.

As for patriotism, many hide behind the word nowadays, but very few actually possess the emotional restraint to even remotely consider them reasonable people. Take KajunBabyGirl's post above mine. It's quite rude. I've met many soldiers in this area who are equally shameless, so forgive me if I choose to selectively apply my patriotism to people who are more deserving of my appreciation. Enlisting is voluntary and our tax dollars go to help pay for their education, well being, and their families, too. I do not support troops who mouth off all the time. You can be flagrant about service or proud of it, but one is more respectable than the other.

It is really getting out of control. It sounds a lot like an entitlement mentality. You can be offended all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that you are becoming a very loud obnoxious bunch. It makes me lose respect for you really fast.

Legally, this is a HOA issue. If you can't separate yourself from your emotions, you really can't give any additional insight into how to resolve this problem. This is Shreveport/Bossier, after all. It's not like we're going to get a diverse response. We've got a rank and file military crowd here. It's no surprise that all sensibility is lost when they are challenged for violating the rules they agreed to.
You are exactly right! It is all about entitlements these days!
Outside of Gold Limits

United States

#6 Aug 26, 2011
John

United States

#7 Aug 27, 2011
I live in this subdv its not the message it clearly states in the covenants u can have a sign but it cannot be over a certain size this is a gated community with rules so people cant leave shit thrown all over the place and decrease property values. If u dont want to abide by rules dont move into this neighborhood simple as that
abcdefg

United States

#8 Aug 28, 2011
John wrote:
I live in this subdv its not the message it clearly states in the covenants u can have a sign but it cannot be over a certain size this is a gated community with rules so people cant leave shit thrown all over the place and decrease property values. If u dont want to abide by rules dont move into this neighborhood simple as that
Amen

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bossier City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Special legislative session 15 hr Bayou Rapides res... 1
Blocked Street parking downtown Feb 19 Alexadria Resident 2
News Haughton neighbor remembers murder suspect Dens... Feb 19 Parden Pard 3
Bring Dave and Busters To Shreveport/Bossier CIty! (Apr '13) Feb 17 Nanababy 21
Kasey Barnett Feb 16 WHO 3
New Rapides Parish coliseum Feb 11 Proofreader 2
Organized Stalking By Freemason Cops/Fireman an... (Jan '11) Feb 10 will morgan 29

Bossier City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bossier City Mortgages