Texas Firefighters Struggle to Stem B...

Texas Firefighters Struggle to Stem Blazes

There are 11 comments on the CBS News story from Mar 14, 2006, titled Texas Firefighters Struggle to Stem Blazes. In it, CBS News reports that:

Airtankers dumped flame retardant as firefighters struggled to fight blazes raging across more than 1,000 square miles of Texas, the aftermath of what officials called the worst single day in the state's ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

Realist

United States

#1 Mar 14, 2006
And nobody's whining about the lack of Federal Response. Imagine that.
Redhammer

AOL

#2 Mar 14, 2006
Realist wrote:
And nobody's whining about the lack of Federal Response. Imagine that.
Having served with one of the Volunteer fire departments in the burned areas, I can assure you that the effected areas see littel federal responsibility for fire suppression. These volunteers often pay for their own training and raise money to buy needed equipment. Each of them deserves a patriotic hero award.
Realist

United States

#3 Mar 14, 2006
I completely agree that they are heroes. My point was that they are doing the work that is needed without looking over their shoulders for the US Calvary, or FEMA, or Greeks bearing gifts. My generation of Texans grew up believing that we take care of our families, help our neighbors when they need help, and give more than we get. And NEVER expect the Federal Government to assist. The biggest lie: I'M FROM THE GOVERNMENT ... and I'm here to help you!
WakeUpCall

Atlanta, GA

#4 Mar 15, 2006
Does anyone know if the wildfires are anywhere near Garland, TX?
kamm

Fort Smith, AR

#5 Mar 15, 2006
WakeUpCall wrote:
Does anyone know if the wildfires are anywhere near Garland, TX?
well, the news clip said, there was one in hutchins, not too too far from garland, the way these fires are all over the dallas ft,worth metro, it wont be surprising of the fires reaching to garland. do you have family there? i am not too far from garland, and i hope it doesnt happen.
Kearney

Columbia, MD

#6 Mar 15, 2006
It's the Wrath of God...
WakeUpCall

Atlanta, GA

#7 Mar 15, 2006
kamm wrote:
<quoted text>

well, the news clip said, there was one in hutchins, not too too far from garland, the way these fires are all over the dallas ft,worth metro, it wont be surprising of the fires reaching to garland. do you have family there? i am not too far from garland, and i hope it doesnt happen.
Thanks for your response. I know someone here in GA who has family in the Garland, TX area.
kamm

Fort Smith, AR

#8 Mar 15, 2006
WakeUpCall wrote:
<quoted text>

Thanks for your response. I know someone here in GA who has family in the Garland, TX area.
i hope they dont become victims of these deadly fires, i too have family there, and had lived there for the last 7 years, just curious, do you know where in garland?
WakeUpCall

Atlanta, GA

#9 Mar 15, 2006
kamm wrote:
<quoted text>

i hope they dont become victims of these deadly fires, i too have family there, and had lived there for the last 7 years, just curious, do you know where in garland?
As yet, no.
Redhammer

AOL

#10 Mar 15, 2006
kamm wrote:
<quoted text>

well, the news clip said, there was one in hutchins, not too too far from garland, the way these fires are all over the dallas ft,worth metro, it wont be surprising of the fires reaching to garland. do you have family there? i am not too far from garland, and i hope it doesnt happen.
The wild fires being reported in Texas are actually hundred's of miles from Garland. The closest of these fires to Garland is near Childress and Childress is over 150 miles from Garland. There were fires in Hutchinson County not hutchins.
Terri081

Amarillo, TX

#11 Mar 15, 2006
I'm in Amarillo and the fires are in our surrounding areas. Amarillo is in the top "square" of Texas. Though there have been fires in south Texas recently, the ones you are hearing about now are around here. And on the subject of federal help. I agree, we help ourselves and if the government helps out fine, if not, there will be no whining.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Borger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nicole larue (Nov '14) 17 hr Nicole larue 2
News Amarillo High apologizes to Caprock for context... Sep 25 The Green Watch Dog 3
Amarillo Arrest Records and Criminal Mugshots Sep 25 Autistic mormon 3
Is there a problem with stealing here? Sep 23 Sssmickey 1
"Play Misty For Me" psycho c_nts Sep 22 UNM Health Sciences 1
Review: Discount Lawn & Tree (Jun '11) Sep 16 Agent X 6
Any place to meet women? Sep 16 Bill Cosby 2

Borger Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Borger Mortgages