ACS Building Project
Concerned Taxpayer

Boonville, NY

#1 Dec 4, 2012
Get out and vote No on this project tomorrow from 12-8 pm at the Middle School,
URA Cheapster

Dover, DE

#2 Dec 4, 2012
Yeah, let the kids learn in less then adequate conditions. Not.
More Concerned Taxpayer

Boonville, NY

#3 Dec 4, 2012
Voting No is the Only option. The projects need to be spread out more. Made more affordable over a period of time. Raising taxes to the sum of over 12 million is a PROBLEM. Hubman is DESTROYING this District. See if he will take a pay cut based on whatever percentage they want to raise the taxes? What will that basically double our school taxes? We pay all this money, but year after year we are spending about $100 or more per child in school supplies. Apparently we need some people on the Board, and a superintendent who is a LOT more educated to basic accounting principles. Did you see the pictures of what the schools want 12 million to upgrade. Are they using the most expensive contractors in town. Did they put in a bid for the contracts? Or did they just go with whoever was related to whoever is organizing the repairs?
Hey concerned

Rockville, MD

#4 Dec 5, 2012
You are ignorant. There will be no impact on school taxes. What isnt being reimbursed by the state will be covered from reserves that have been established and funded. Have you been in the locker rooms lately? Do you not care that we have facilities that are not Ada compliant? The buildings are not getting bigger (therefore no additional operating expense) they are being maintained.
Question

Gloversville, NY

#5 Dec 5, 2012
No you are ignorant, people are broke our enrollment is down we keep pouring money into West Leyden and Forestport where the class sizes are so small it's a disgrace .... We need to close both of those schools NOW! And by the way if you work and pay state taxes it's not free, if you are a piece of crap living off the system it is...
Pete

Boonville, NY

#6 Dec 5, 2012
So if you vote no will the state taxes you pay go down or just go to someone or something else??? Idiot
LOL

Boonville, NY

#8 Dec 8, 2012
I have to laugh. In what world do we live in that we raise the budget 12 million, and taxes dont go up? Maybe if they want to increase the budget, they should learn how to explain how it will affect the tax payers and send them in this wonderful thing we call the mail, to us people who actually pay a LOT of money in taxes. I just cant even comprehend how asking the community to raise taxes by 12 million would not cost us a huge amount of money. If the money was coming from the State, aka grants, that is something the school can apply for without us voting. So this act of anyone saying how the taxes wouldn't go up is unbelievable, and sounds ridiculous. If this was so, we all should have gotten notices in the mail explaining how it all works. Why would the Board, and the Superintendent not completely explain the money is ALLEGEDLY coming from the State, not our pockets in raising taxes? Uhh....that is a bunch of Malarkey, or they (the board and the Non-Superintendent)are not to educated. How can someone who is not Educated, Educate someone else, if that is the case. Which I do not believe for a split second. Glad it didn't pass.
average player

Boonville, NY

#9 Dec 8, 2012
Actually, I think 11 million of the 12 mill was covered by grants, the state and from reserve fund. 1 million was needed from elsewhere. I don't think anyone trusts Hubman or the Board to make correct decisions for the district. Just because your voted to the board you don't all of a sudden become an expert on building construction and budgets. A bigger problem is the lack of people who actually voted. 285 total votes for a project this big! The apathy in this town is appalling. Please don't tell me what a great involved community we have ! 12 million dollars was being spent on our school district and 285 people showed up! But, talk of firing or replacing a coach and by God the town reacts and shows up in droves. Can someone please explain this to me?????????? This is crazy!
Explanation

Gloversville, NY

#10 Dec 8, 2012
The school has to borrow the money for a project and make annual payments on the bonds. All projects need to be approved by state Ed (to make sure they are not funding football stadiums) to ensure they are for health and safety or educational reasons. If state Ed approves the project, they agree to pay a portion of the annual bond payment. In the case of ACS, that portion is 90% (I think ... I am not on the board only know from going to meetings and asking questions :) ). The school then pays the other 10%. This will be paid from funds that have been established in years passed and are stored on the capital reserve. Funds from the capital reserve can only be used for capital projects and need voter approval to access. Projects also require voter approval. So, 90% comes from state and if we don't get it, it will go somewhere else. The 10% comes from money already in the bank that can only be used for projects. Hope this helps.
bystander

Fairfax, VA

#11 Dec 8, 2012
average player wrote:
Actually, I think 11 million of the 12 mill was covered by grants, the state and from reserve fund. 1 million was needed from elsewhere. I don't think anyone trusts Hubman or the Board to make correct decisions for the district. Just because your voted to the board you don't all of a sudden become an expert on building construction and budgets. A bigger problem is the lack of people who actually voted. 285 total votes for a project this big! The apathy in this town is appalling. Please don't tell me what a great involved community we have ! 12 million dollars was being spent on our school district and 285 people showed up! But, talk of firing or replacing a coach and by God the town reacts and shows up in droves. Can someone please explain this to me?????????? This is crazy!
In addition- what many folks don't realize is that when they talk about grants for municipalities and schools, often times the applicant is required to put up a percentage of the grant. When the numbers are that large the percentage is large as well- like 40%! So it isn't always "free" money! 285... What a joke.... More people at the Christmas parade probably....
taxpayer

Gloversville, NY

#12 Dec 10, 2012
I voted no on the budget. I am a taxpayer, who owns land, and works for a living. This money is coming from the state. Money from my paycheck each week already. The state is in bad shape because of hurricane Sandy, ACS would never see this money. It would come out of the people who are working to stay a float. Funny thing, you want to update your handicap stuff, why did ACS cover the handicap signs during voting? That is ironic. AND AGAINIST THE LAW DUH ! Also the greenhouse was a gift to the school, put up speed bumps, and slow down, it is a school.
As for the future of ACS, we have some great board mems, healt, gallo, and leichty, they will fix the problems, and put those other board mems. into place. Also time for a new supt, who has worked and lived in the district all her life and is a taxpayer. Put aside your differences, and get p thomas in the district office. The school district will run as smooth as when R borden was in there.
you are right

Gloversville, NY

#13 Dec 10, 2012
get the right person in
Justme

Speculator, NY

#14 Dec 10, 2012
IF the greenhouse was a gift, then it's being wasted. It's used for storage. The problem is not a need for speedbumps. The main entrance for the kids at the Middle school is next to the green house. It's a totally blind cross walk at the green house. I don't care how slow you are driving, speedbumps or no speedbumps, if a kid walks into the driveway without looking around the green house, he/she will be hit.
taxpayer wrote:
I voted no on the budget. I am a taxpayer, who owns land, and works for a living. This money is coming from the state. Money from my paycheck each week already. The state is in bad shape because of hurricane Sandy, ACS would never see this money. It would come out of the people who are working to stay a float. Funny thing, you want to update your handicap stuff, why did ACS cover the handicap signs during voting? That is ironic. AND AGAINIST THE LAW DUH ! Also the greenhouse was a gift to the school, put up speed bumps, and slow down, it is a school.
As for the future of ACS, we have some great board mems, healt, gallo, and leichty, they will fix the problems, and put those other board mems. into place. Also time for a new supt, who has worked and lived in the district all her life and is a taxpayer. Put aside your differences, and get p thomas in the district office. The school district will run as smooth as when R borden was in there.
SchoolDad

Speculator, NY

#15 Dec 10, 2012
things haven't run right since R Borden was super.
taxpayer

Altmar, NY

#16 Dec 11, 2012
to justme . It is the back entrance to the middle school. All children should look both ways, it would save me as a taxpayer, a lot of money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The more you know 10 min Pigwhorr 46
Instead of trying to play victim 42 min thewayiseeit 24
Great American Grocery Store (Mar '13) 5 hr Darlene 267
For real "A" 15 hr Party girl 12
Post Street fire Mon Wooing 8
Allan Swartfiguer for mayor 2019? Sun Coop 3
For funks sake!!! Sun Taintjuice 5

Boonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance