fundraisers in elementary school

Posted in the Boonville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hardworking dad

San Jose, CA

#1 Feb 7, 2013
why can't the kids bring home something that people will actually want to buy for fundraisers? Not all people want 15.00 candles and religious items and cookie dough thats 20.00.Im sure we can find something better than that to sell!
hear u

Boonville, NY

#2 Feb 8, 2013
do u go to pta meeting thats the only way u can do anything if not cant really say anything
sally

San Jose, CA

#4 Feb 8, 2013
Id think it would be common sense nobody would want stuff like that.
high taxes

Cicero, NY

#5 Feb 8, 2013
Why do we have fundraisers? With how high the school taxes are, the children should have enough money to do whatever, trips or school parties. Plus where does all the money go from the fundraisers and you never hear how much they make from them. Most people can't make the PTA meetings because we need to work to pay our school taxes. The only way you can end the junk the poor kids have to sell is DON'T BUY IT, then maybe theses fools who run the PTA will wake up.
Whiner

Venice, FL

#6 Feb 10, 2013
Stop your whining and buy a candy bar! LOL! Worlds Famous Chocolate candy bars with almonds....mmmmmm!
high taxes wrote:
Why do we have fundraisers? With how high the school taxes are, the children should have enough money to do whatever, trips or school parties. Plus where does all the money go from the fundraisers and you never hear how much they make from them. Most people can't make the PTA meetings because we need to work to pay our school taxes. The only way you can end the junk the poor kids have to sell is DON'T BUY IT, then maybe theses fools who run the PTA will wake up.
school

Gloversville, NY

#7 Feb 11, 2013
people would rather buy candy bars than home interior candles or cookie dough.
motherofthree

Lacona, NY

#8 Feb 13, 2013
I agree with the person who started this subject this has to be the worst fundraiser Boonville elementary has ever done.Im to busy to be on the Pta but i would like to know where we can complain to.Their is other schools who sell fruit or magazines or popcorn or even Boonville Elementary merchandise.
abcde

Boonville, NY

#9 Feb 13, 2013
Meetings are held once a month and last an hour, members don't have to attend all the meetings, there is no accountability contract.

If you don't like the fundraiser your child is selling then don't sell it. If you want to have a voice in the decision of what to sell then you need to be a PTA member to vote when the options are presented at the meeting.

This isn't rocket science.

Personally, I rather "buy out" at the beginning of the school year by making a donation and not having my child sell anything. 100% of the donation goes to the PTA.
motherofthree

Lowville, NY

#10 Feb 13, 2013
Being that i work the 3-11 shift mon thru friday that is not a option for me!Next thing you know we will be selling Avon for class trips!I don't have a problem buying things but let sell something that people want!
Just wondering

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Feb 14, 2013
I agree on the buyout option. It doesn't have to be mandatory but saves me from having to buy stuff I don't want or need. I certainly don't mind donating to the PTA. It would be awesome if they had a Pay Pal account set up so parents could just donate as they felt they could. I know a lot of people would grumble about being asked to just donate but a lot of people already grumble anyway.

I used to go to PTA meetings and volunteer a lot when my older kids were in the elementary school. What I found though, is that the handful of stay at home Mom's who have time to spend a lot of hours volunteering at the school during the regular workday pretty much ran the show and didn't care to hear the input of those that were not in that circle. As I get older I really have lost my tolerance for the politics that go along with all of that. Even so, I do appreciate what those mothers do and support the PTA and volunteer as much as I can. I would love to just make a monetary donation in lieu of selling things but the kids are all about these crappy prizes they can win and the whole thing about the highest seller in each class getting recognition.
motherofthree

Gloversville, NY

#12 Feb 14, 2013
im not sure a buyout option is available when its a fundraiser for a fifth grade class.
app143

San Jose, CA

#13 Feb 15, 2013
Why can't they sell candy bars?They use to.
pick up

Boonville, NY

#14 Feb 19, 2013
i agree and y would u have every class sell same thing at same time i dont know about anyone else but i got big family and they like to help the kids out but when u get 5 kids come to house with same stuff buy one thing from each thats like $100 right there thats alot and does anyone know when the pick up date is for the pizza???
confused

Pulaski, NY

#15 Feb 19, 2013
I heard the teachers are getting frustrated because a lot of the kids are having trouble selling anything.
just me

Auburn, NY

#16 Feb 20, 2013
People just don't have the money. It's like, do I want to put gas in my car or buy a scented candle or whatever. Maybe the kids should go to the park this year for their field trips. What a shame that would be, let them get a little exercise and it wouldn't cost a ton of money.
speigel

Anonymous Proxy

#17 Feb 25, 2013
How can the other schools go to places then?Thats because they sell items that people want to buy!
Gabby

New York, NY

#18 Mar 5, 2013
just me wrote:
People just don't have the money. It's like, do I want to put gas in my car or buy a scented candle or whatever. Maybe the kids should go to the park this year for their field trips. What a shame that would be, let them get a little exercise and it wouldn't cost a ton of money.
AGREE, Maybe the PTA, the teachers and the school should stop putting all this effort into these fund raiser and redirect this energy to coming up with new and exciting ways to educate our children. Field trips are nice and maybe even educating but when you don't have the money for them let's move into another direction. With the taxes going up, electric going up, gas high anyways, and food just going up and up fund raisers are not another expense we need. Let's push the PTA and the school to get a little more inventive and find ways to make learning a little bit more fun without all these fund raisers. By the way, if there are going to be any trips at all maybe it should be limited to the seniors instead of at every class level or even better yuet find FREE things to do that are educational. Money is not always the answer, use your brains for more then a cash register, you do the work instead of making the kids beg for money.
tina

Gloversville, NY

#19 Mar 5, 2013
Well i don't agree with doing away with all the trips, the kids look forward to them.Their are plenty of fundraisers you can do and earn money where its not a 20.00 candle or something for your kitchen you wont ever use or wrapping paper that is triple the price.Our kids deserve a trip for all the new programs that they have had to learn heck now the kids in 4th grade are learning what we were taught in 8th grade.
spatz

San Jose, CA

#20 Mar 28, 2013
How about selling Adirondack shirts,shorts,hoodies,umbrella s,mugs?????
curious

Boonville, NY

#21 Mar 28, 2013
One year my grandson was trying to sell me something i didn`t want so I give him $10 donation, next year same thing and he said they can`t do it no more, I know whats up the companys that back this makes big bucks and the uneducated teachers are stupid enough to go along with it or maybe the get a freebee or something out of it. Time for parents to get educated more,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
old dollar general lot 1 hr Jeff 8
Town of Leyden 3 hr no more bruce 6
Wayne Wise (May '13) 8 hr derrick 9
cj power sports 14 hr Joeyankitinthewoods 21
parents/drunks 15 hr GWBII 5
Reindeer donation thief 19 hr santa 24
Could it be Sara at last? (Oct '09) Sat whistleblower 16
Boonville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web