Meeting Outlines Plans for NJ Transit...

Meeting Outlines Plans for NJ Transit Rail Line

There are 5 comments on the Mass Transit story from Jun 22, 2008, titled Meeting Outlines Plans for NJ Transit Rail Line. In it, Mass Transit reports that:

A revived 7.3-mile stretch of the Lackawanna Cutoff railroad in Sussex County would be for commuter trains only and would not be a freight line, officials said yesterday during a public forum in Byram on the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Mass Transit.

George

Paterson, NJ

#1 Jun 30, 2008
no freight for now maybe, but you know it will happan. They are using the excuse of cutting traffic on route 80. Most of us that work in NJ can't take a train to work. The traffic is not going to be cut. They will use this line to move waste from NY & NJ to Pa. This rail line runs close to many houses and will be a safety issue in regards to the waste items they will move. The smell alone will hurt property values.
amx

Califon, NJ

#2 Jul 1, 2008
re: lackawanna cutoff garbage trains...do you drive rt 80 at all do you notice the incessant stream of garbage tractor-trailers on rt 80...well i do...i am tired of having my life risked everyday by speeding garbage trucks on rt 80...if you knew anything you would know that garbage trains take the lehigh line to pennsylvania...and big news...the lackawanna cutoff was built haul freight...any trucks that get off of the road and onto rails is fine by me...
Don Mayberry Jr

Elkins Park, PA

#3 Aug 1, 2008
amx,

good job! The little bit of garbage freight, that is only being "ass-umed" at this point, will be much safer on the RR. If anyone wants to dump some land cheap that borders the cut-off, please let me know!!! [email protected]

Don
oldstage

Lakewood, NJ

#4 Aug 8, 2008
This rail line was built in 1910. AT its time it was an engineering marvel, cutting through slate and limestone outcrops,building 50 ft. ballasts,so as the train would not interfere with the roads of that day. Now, 100years later, the fate of this railbed is being damned with the nay sayers. I doubt that anyone condeming the rail line use even knew of anyone that used it in the years of operation. I remember my family getting on the train at johnsonburg and being in downtown Newark within 1 hour to shop. These trains brought milk and produce from the farms in our area to the city people. Now, those farms are gone and the prospects of bringing the city trash through our towns is kind of ironic. The rail line has served many people in many ways and if today they will use it to haul trash, so be it. The most laughable statement people make is, the trains are going to bring more people out here. What a joke! Remember the trains were here before Route 80, and in 1972 when route 80 was complete to the Gap, the last train passed our town. IT was Route 80 that brought the trash from the cities, not the trains.
Chester j Slaska

United States

#5 Sep 7, 2008
There is a great difference between what people think will happen if the Lackawanna cutoff becomes an active rail line and what will actual happen. At any one point if 16 trains pass a day that will will be a total of 16 minutes of noise, Stand next to or near rt 80 in warren county and decide what the noise level is. Trash trains now run on regular schedule through warren county on the lehigh line and through lehigh county includung Allentown,Bethlehem and the affluent communities of Macungie and Emmaus and I don,t think people even know they exsist. Is the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boonton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Con Game (Jun '10) May 8 Tony Price 77 7
Beware of Powder Mill Towing and Auto repair (Jul '15) May 8 Tony Price 77 5
News Fix N.J.'s property taxes, school funding - sta... Apr '16 Nancy Ann 1
Lake Telemark History (Jan '09) Mar '16 Jensen 21
News Kinnelon police thank neighbors for aid in atte... Mar '16 Riverdale Resident 1
News Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Alternative Now ... (Dec '12) Jan '16 Georgia 14
Lake Drive Parking Jan '16 KMW 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Boonton Mortgages