why are so many people popping pain p...

why are so many people popping pain pills?

Posted in the Booneville Forum

concerned

Byram, MS

#1 Feb 13, 2013
I understand that some people reaaly are in pain and need these medicaions,but it seems like most of our society is hooked.
P!LL P0PP3R

New York, NY

#2 Feb 13, 2013
Cause they fun bro! Duh!
concerned

Canton, MS

#3 Feb 13, 2013
@PILL POPPER . I am assuming u are a child from the looks of your comment. This is an adult conversation so please dont be so arrogant!
Common Sense

Corinth, MS

#4 Feb 13, 2013
Illegal prescription drugs are ruining our society......but you can't get an " addict " to change, unless they WANT to....and there lies the problem......sadly.....
georgia

Corinth, MS

#7 Feb 13, 2013
They don't mind being enslaved to big pharma,drug dealers or the penal system..getting wasted is their only goal in life. Why they can't look at life long drug abusers and get a life, now, before it's too late..so sad
lots of people

Pontotoc, MS

#8 Feb 13, 2013
georgia, i'm sorry you feel that way but i assure you not everyone who is addicted to opiates are the stereotype you described. of course, some of them are but lots of addicts reside in white middle class america.

for instance, a working mom of three in a nice neighborhood has a root canal and gets some hydrocodone or maybe oxycodone and notices she has more energy when she takes them or she just gets lost in the euphoric effects and starts to find any little excuse to go see a doctor.

maybe a hard working new father of two gets a major injury at work and has to take them for an extended period of time, which is guaranteed to cause dependence. the addiction for them is manageable for a little while, they have good insurance and a little disposable income at first, and it can't be that bad, after all, their neighbors talk about taking lortabs and xanax all the time. inevitably the dose needed to get the desired effect has to be increased.

then the doctors start to catch on, they cut them off and mom and dad start talking to the aforementioned neighbors who also share a similar interest and together they are able to find more pills. all is well for a year.

once that well runs dry they turn to street dealers to get them. one day maybe the street dealer doesn't have any pills but he does have some heroin, and that will cure your withdrawals just as well he says so they get some out of desperation.

they probably don't realize heroin is (5α,6α)-7,8- didehydro-4,5-epoxy-17-methylm orphinan-3,6-diol diacetate, which most wouldn't, but notice the last word in the chemical name, "diacetate", that acetic part gives heroin the property of very quickly and easily passing through the blood-brain barrier(gray matter) to bind with screaming opiate receptors and alleviate their sickness. after that everything goes downhill, they lose their house, their children, they take advantage of every last person that loves them. they burn every bridge they can in a daily pursuit of the only thing that matters to them anymore, the mistress opium.

now two fellow humans who started out as hard working middle class parents have morphed into hollow shells in a matter of a few years.

i realize it's easy for you to hate the stereotype in your head, and if being able to cast down upon your fellow man gives you some semblance of security then go with it i guess.

your end result will be the same as theirs, you will end a hollow husk, perhaps lonely and afraid and regretting every chance you ever turned down to lift someone up instead of batter them down.
concerned

Ridgeland, MS

#9 Feb 13, 2013
@lots of people...... Explained very well !!! That was actually what I was referring to in my topic. I recently found out a coupke of school teachers popping these in class in front of students.( that she thinks dosent see her do this ). I also know a few preachers whose wives are addicted, I know several good up standing mothers who u think r worried about their sick children to only carry them to the Dr. to get the narcoric coughmedicines for their self. I know several women in these upstanding socialite groups that go to dentist after dentist for the same tooth hurting just to pain pills. I know first hand a couple of teachers that go to one certain dr. only for the narcotic medicine.And whats sad is they think they are hiding it and no one knows.And like you said its only a matter of time...I work at a pharmacy an see it first hand. All we can do is pray for these peopke and their families.
lots of people

Pontotoc, MS

#10 Feb 13, 2013
my mother and two of my brothers were addicted. my mother after having an extended painful bout with gall stones and my brothers from numerous knee, shoulder, and elbow surgeries from sports. i was floored when i found out my mother, 46 at the time and having raised my brothers their whole lives without barely so much as an isolated beer or wine cooler buzz up until then. then one night we get a call from her crying and at the bottom strung out on dilaudid. it only took about six years to go from lortabs to i.v. drug use for her and less than that for my brothers. mom and my oldest younger brother have been clean for a couple years now but i still have one brother mired in the swamp.

as for how to fix it it's not an easy answer, opium has always been addictive, even more so now that science has concentrated and mass marketed it's most powerfully addictive psychoactive constituents.

i used to think the same about addicts(even my own mother and brothers) until i had kids, after that i started to view them as someones little bug who's gotten lost and needs a light in the darkness.

the bottom line is no one knows the mind of another and what events might have lead them to where they are now. maybe the addict they judge lost his wife and babies in a car accident and his resolve has crumbled, he struggles to grasp at anything that might fill the hole they left behind.

she may be someones little girl who was molested as a child by someone she trusted, and since then has never been able to trust again, and the opiates allow her to temporarily escape the constant hell her mind has become in the years following her abuse as a child.

people either don't know or don't want to see that drug abuse is a symptom not the sickness. nosebleeds are a symptom of brain tumors, but we wouldn't dream of treating the bleeding without addressing the cancer.
privateeye

United States

#11 Feb 13, 2013
I can say this. you take one a day or five a day. After u take them for several years and then u stop aether your prescribed them or not its hard to stop. Your body comes depended on them n you need them. Don't matter wether ur age or if ur black.or white. It will suck you in. Its a sad sad situation.
experienced

Versailles, IN

#12 Feb 13, 2013
My husband served several tours in Iraq. He was injured in several IED explosion and fire fights. The medics would give them pain pills in the field so they could keep going! When they finally got to where they could get to the "hospitals" to be checked out- they got more pain pills and were sent on their way!! He came home addicted to them! He goes to the VA to see the drs about the damage from the untreated injuries he has and what does he get... PAIN PILLS! He was seeing 6 different drs -there was no communication between them and each one of them prescribed pain pills!! So thanks to the military he has SEVERE PTSD and at the time a pain pill addiction!! When I confronted the drs a the VA they cut him off cold turkey and he turned to heroine!! It's by the GRACE OF GOD he's alive today and clean! There is no way to put in to words the hell me and my kids went thru! He still suffers with PTSD, but he is off the pain pills!! After you take pain meds for a long period of time they make you hurt worse! People don't realize that!! They take over your life!! And like the other post said they lead to stronger stuff!! BEWARE!!
need to know

Jackson, MS

#14 Feb 14, 2013
Ever felt like all the hope for a better life was gone? Ever tried so hard for so many years to change things and then settle for the end result of the same old thing? Ever woke up in the morning and wondered how the hell am I going to make it through this day without losing my mind? Until you have experienced these feelings, you can never understand why someone turns to a pill for comfort. Pills are your way of being normal so the rest of the world won't think you are a lunatic. Then one day you wake up, look in the mirror, look down at your needle-marked arms, and realize you are the lunatic that you were trying so hard not to let the world see!!!! And guess what? All that other stuff is still the same if not worse and you are an addict. Now you do more pills to cope with all that stuff and the fact that you are an addict. It really is a sad life......Until you been there, you can never know....
What

Booneville, MS

#15 Feb 14, 2013
I not care I make money on them
Anonymous
#16 Feb 16, 2013
need to know wrote:
Ever felt like all the hope for a better life was gone? Ever tried so hard for so many years to change things and then settle for the end result of the same old thing? Ever woke up in the morning and wondered how the hell am I going to make it through this day without losing my mind? Until you have experienced these feelings, you can never understand why someone turns to a pill for comfort. Pills are your way of being normal so the rest of the world won't think you are a lunatic. Then one day you wake up, look in the mirror, look down at your needle-marked arms, and realize you are the lunatic that you were trying so hard not to let the world see!!!! And guess what? All that other stuff is still the same if not worse and you are an addict. Now you do more pills to cope with all that stuff and the fact that you are an addict. It really is a sad life......Until you been there, you can never know....
ive been there and got myself out i moved myself away from everybody i knew that was connected to my use even family went threwwithdraws but after a couple of weeks i was feeling better but it took me almost a year to be completely week mainly mentally i know the only reason i could do it is because i was ready i was sick of lookin for a fix to get though the day
chronic illness

Corinth, MS

#17 Feb 21, 2013
This is true in many situations but I have the choice of pain pills to function or steroids. I saw the long term effects of steroids on a family member & it was horrible! It can kill you!!! Its not dependency of it helps you get out of bed & actually function in life. Otherwise I would be in bed most days & barely function if that. You can't condemn everyone who is on long term maintenance of pain meds. The bad days I take more & good days I take less. I also take a ton of other meds to try & maintain my condition. And no mine has never led to other drugs. I want to be active & take part in life with my family. The pain meds have allowed me to do this. I don't take them to get high or for energy. I take them to take the edge off my pain so I can function. In cases like mine there aren't many options and this allows me the luxury of living.
Alice

Jackson, MS

#18 Mar 5, 2013
They have nothing better to do lmbo
bdaddy

Bourbonnais, IL

#19 Mar 9, 2013
this is why years ago.i dont know exactlly how many. maybe a couple hundred,they executed opium addicts in china.
???

United States

#20 Mar 9, 2013
chronic illness wrote:
This is true in many situations but I have the choice of pain pills to function or steroids. I saw the long term effects of steroids on a family member & it was horrible! It can kill you!!! Its not dependency of it helps you get out of bed & actually function in life. Otherwise I would be in bed most days & barely function if that. You can't condemn everyone who is on long term maintenance of pain meds. The bad days I take more & good days I take less. I also take a ton of other meds to try & maintain my condition. And no mine has never led to other drugs. I want to be active & take part in life with my family. The pain meds have allowed me to do this. I don't take them to get high or for energy. I take them to take the edge off my pain so I can function. In cases like mine there aren't many options and this allows me the luxury of living.
I am the same way! I have a chronic illness and stay very sick and ain't even out of my late 20s yet! I don't get high I take them to be able to not be stuck in bed and miss out on my kids stuff! Been on them for 6 almost 7 years!
chronic illness

Corinth, MS

#21 Mar 12, 2013
[QUOTE who="???"]<quoted text>I am the same way! I have a chronic illness and stay very sick and ain't even out of my late 20s yet! I don't get high I take them to be able to not be stuck in bed and miss out on my kids stuff! Been on them for 6 almost 7 years![/QUOTE]

Tear people haven't had to deal with chronic pain and are lumping all long term meds into one category which is ignorant on their part. I don't tell anyone I'm on them because I do worry about the wrong person hearing me & trying to break into my home after hearing what I have. With 2 diseases that couldn't be predicted or prevented or cured I do the best I can. I was depressed for months after I had to quit work & stay home. I feel like everyone else is going off every morning living theirs & I can barely get out of bed. I'm young but not quite as young as you. Who wants to take handfuls of meds at our age?!!! Not fair!!! Its like saying all blacks are racist & all whites are meth heads.
tupelo

United States

#22 Mar 18, 2013
Sad

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Booneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
snitches 5 hr Low Down 22
Chris Pitts (Jun '13) 11 hr Rant 25
church 13 hr Laura 11
collage view apts 18 hr ouch 2
ISO Call Center-Office Job Support Group 20 hr Call Center Suppo... 6
Haley Patton 21 hr Funnyasfuck 1
Beasley hands 21 hr what 2

Booneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance