First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Owls

Booneville, KY

#2 Feb 21, 2012
Yes we do the coach we have is worthless He makes fun of people And He needs to Get on out of Owsley county for Good.
LTO

Booneville, KY

#3 Feb 21, 2012
You know that is why we will never build a basketball program, because the coach keeps changing. You can't build a strong program when the coaches are constantly changing along with different coaching styles and philosopies. And win a season with a bunch of sophomores against seniors. I don't think Calapari could have won with the players we had this year. I am not saying anything bad against our boys. They are good players, but they are not experienced enough to play varsity. At their age and experience, they would be an outstanding Jr Varsity team and would be competing against any team in our region and that is where they should be playing. But out school district is so small, and our coaches have turned over in the last 10 years for different reasons it has hurt the pool of players we have seen in the past. What do I feel we need? We need to keep a Coach for more than 1 year? We need to keep a Coach for at least 5 years to build a program from the ground up!(Elementary school up!) Maybe it's a dream, but that is what we've had in the past and it was what has worked.
LOL

Booneville, KY

#4 Feb 21, 2012
LTO wrote:
You know that is why we will never build a basketball program, because the coach keeps changing. You can't build a strong program when the coaches are constantly changing along with different coaching styles and philosopies. And win a season with a bunch of sophomores against seniors. I don't think Calapari could have won with the players we had this year. I am not saying anything bad against our boys. They are good players, but they are not experienced enough to play varsity. At their age and experience, they would be an outstanding Jr Varsity team and would be competing against any team in our region and that is where they should be playing. But out school district is so small, and our coaches have turned over in the last 10 years for different reasons it has hurt the pool of players we have seen in the past. What do I feel we need? We need to keep a Coach for more than 1 year? We need to keep a Coach for at least 5 years to build a program from the ground up!(Elementary school up!) Maybe it's a dream, but that is what we've had in the past and it was what has worked.
Owsley county has grown to accept loosing with its boys basketball program! The boys program/coach won 7 ballgames with sophomores who have been given more opportunities and experience than any other group of kids in the history of Owsley County athletics through this point. This years team did not win a game in the district(0-7) and the only other team who lost more in the 14th region is Riverside(0-30). This is where Owsley County Boys basketball is at...in the cellar. If you compare how we did against Powell from the first game early in the season to the last game in the district, Owsley County got worse as the season went. Breathitt county has a new coach this year and has done exceptionally well and he has only been there since August of this school year. Our expectations are too low and excuses are made to often for lackluster performance. The whole program needs an overhaul from elementary to high school IMO.
LTO

Booneville, KY

#5 Feb 21, 2012
What opportunities and experiences have these boys been given in the history of Owsley athletics? I would like to know? I agree that the boys basketball program is in the toilet and it has been going downhill for about 7-8 years because the district can't seem to hold on to a coach for over a year or two at the most. That is not enough to build a program from the ground up. Breathitt has a new coach this year and he is winning, how many recruits did he have? How many boys tried out for his squad at the beginning of the school year? How many did he have to choose from vs Owsley County at try outs? I'm sure there's a differece.
LOL

Booneville, KY

#6 Feb 21, 2012
LTO wrote:
What opportunities and experiences have these boys been given in the history of Owsley athletics? I would like to know? I agree that the boys basketball program is in the toilet and it has been going downhill for about 7-8 years because the district can't seem to hold on to a coach for over a year or two at the most. That is not enough to build a program from the ground up. Breathitt has a new coach this year and he is winning, how many recruits did he have? How many boys tried out for his squad at the beginning of the school year? How many did he have to choose from vs Owsley County at try outs? I'm sure there's a differece.
Coaches get the most out of players day in and day out. Having someone who can get the most out of the boys is critical. This did not happen this year. These boys played in front of a lot of other kids since they were in middle school. These boys are mostly hold backs which gives them an extra year of practice and playing thus their age. I am not concerned about how many tried out for Breathitt. The key question is how many of his players improved throughout the season and how did they as a team finish?
123owlsfan456

Booneville, KY

#7 Feb 21, 2012
well the coach isn't the problem look at the boys i mean really they need work out time and build and bulk up they are kids this isn't NBA or college ball its Owsley lol
LOL

Booneville, KY

#8 Feb 21, 2012
123owlsfan456 wrote:
well the coach isn't the problem look at the boys i mean really they need work out time and build and bulk up they are kids this isn't NBA or college ball its Owsley lol
Who develops palyers is it the parents or the coach?
LOL

Booneville, KY

#12 Feb 21, 2012
fan wrote:
How can you get worse? We had 2 starters out for a combined 15 games goofy. We had no scoring, no dribbling, no leadership. We had disciplinary problems, off court problems, and list goes on. We are young with only 3 scorers on the whole team. You cannot expect a miracle the first year, who wants to coach Owsley? Tyson gross? He is at hazard a school with a winning tradition, he couldn't beat Owsley this year, who else? Pick Someone who wants to coach at Owsley. We better keep what we have.
<quoted text>
You are totally satisfied with being on the bottom of the heap. 16 out of 17 schools in the region...excuses after excuse. Did you play for Riverside?
Hey

Lexington, KY

#14 Feb 22, 2012
Hey hey
George

Booneville, KY

#16 Feb 27, 2012
Owls wrote:
Yes we do the coach we have is worthless He makes fun of people And He needs to Get on out of Owsle
Well, for the record, I think we need a new Girls Coach. Look what he has done this year. He's took 2 of the BEST starters and is subing them in and out now with 2 other players. One of which just moved in here this year, and the other that quit last year and came back. What happened to loyalty, team work etc. I'll tell you what happened, it's politics here, not what you can do but who you know. AND they know the right people, adn most of them are at the board!! Sad, sad, sad... it's simply just not right but happens every year...And the other sad thing is, it's hurts the girls real bad, their self esteem, self worth all that stuff. I hope you are happy for doing this to these girls! What people do that have authority........
Haa

Booneville, KY

#17 Feb 27, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, for the record, I think we need a new Girls Coach. Look what he has done this year. He's took 2 of the BEST starters and is subing them in and out now with 2 other players. One of which just moved in here this year, and the other that quit last year and came back. What happened to loyalty, team work etc. I'll tell you what happened, it's politics here, not what you can do but who you know. AND they know the right people, adn most of them are at the board!! Sad, sad, sad... it's simply just not right but happens every year...And the other sad thing is, it's hurts the girls real bad, their self esteem, self worth all that stuff. I hope you are happy for doing this to these girls! What people do that have authority........
Let me guess...your mad because you daughter is 5'3, weighs 220 lbs and you think she should play above those who are better than her? If you can't shoot, dribble, pass, or jump your daughter should play because she played the year before?
Truth

Booneville, KY

#18 Feb 27, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, for the record, I think we need a new Girls Coach. Look what he has done this year. He's took 2 of the BEST starters and is subing them in and out now with 2 other players. One of which just moved in here this year, and the other that quit last year and came back. What happened to loyalty, team work etc. I'll tell you what happened, it's politics here, not what you can do but who you know. AND they know the right people, adn most of them are at the board!! Sad, sad, sad... it's simply just not right but happens every year...And the other sad thing is, it's hurts the girls real bad, their self esteem, self worth all that stuff. I hope you are happy for doing this to these girls! What people do that have authority........
What hurts the girls is not telling them the truth...You as a parent should tell them that they need to loose some weight, practice more, get into shape, and help them work on their self esteem to learn through situations not making excuses for them.
Concerned

Pikeville, KY

#19 Feb 28, 2012
Well I think the new transfer is pretty damn good... she can dribble,shoot,and pass just fine. And for the one that quit last year is pretty damn good to. Let me tell you one thing, you don't needa get on here and diss these girls when there one of the top players. Were all very sorry your daughter can't be as good as them! The new girl and the quitter scores in the 10-20 points everygame and yours score 0-4. Read the stats honey and you'll see whose better!
people

Pikeville, KY

#20 Feb 28, 2012
check stats!
fan

Pikeville, KY

#21 Feb 28, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, for the record, I think we need a new Girls Coach. Look what he has done this year. He's took 2 of the BEST starters and is subing them in and out now with 2 other players. One of which just moved in here this year, and the other that quit last year and came back. What happened to loyalty, team work etc. I'll tell you what happened, it's politics here, not what you can do but who you know. AND they know the right people, adn most of them are at the board!! Sad, sad, sad... it's simply just not right but happens every year...And the other sad thing is, it's hurts the girls real bad, their self esteem, self worth all that stuff. I hope you are happy for doing this to these girls! What people do that have authority........
I think the coach did consider loyalty and team work, because if he didn't those two so called BEST starters would not have been starting at all. He tried to be fair and rotate all the girls that deserved to play. Gotta give him credit for that.
Shhhhhh

Richmond, KY

#22 Feb 28, 2012
Look whose girls team WON the all A tournament, definitely Owsley, oh and look whose boys happen to be the youngest team entirely, again Owsley. We have sophomores, freshmen, and Juniors all across the bench. But we have one thing those other teams don't have, we have heart... This new coach is extremely great, you can tell he knows what he's doing, so what our team isn't winning games... Just wait until next year, year number TWO with the new coach, and them tell me that we don't kick butt.

As for the girls, the got where they were because they are devoted young girls with passion. They played an extremely tough season, and didn't get there because of one or two people alone, they played as a team, and that's what I like to see. As for my opinion on the new girl, she is a great asset to our girls team, and deserves to be there just as much as all of our other girls, she plays tough, and is quite the team player. This season has been absolutely wonderful, thanks to her, and every other girl out there on the bench with her.
LTO

Booneville, KY

#23 Feb 28, 2012
Shhhhhh wrote:
Look whose girls team WON the all A tournament, definitely Owsley, oh and look whose boys happen to be the youngest team entirely, again Owsley. We have sophomores, freshmen, and Juniors all across the bench. But we have one thing those other teams don't have, we have heart... This new coach is extremely great, you can tell he knows what he's doing, so what our team isn't winning games... Just wait until next year, year number TWO with the new coach, and them tell me that we don't kick butt.
As for the girls, the got where they were because they are devoted young girls with passion. They played an extremely tough season, and didn't get there because of one or two people alone, they played as a team, and that's what I like to see. As for my opinion on the new girl, she is a great asset to our girls team, and deserves to be there just as much as all of our other girls, she plays tough, and is quite the team player. This season has been absolutely wonderful, thanks to her, and every other girl out there on the bench with her.
I agree with you. If the administration will leave the boys coach alone, the boys team next year will show a lot of improvement. With all of the starters back, and a lot of hard work this summer, which I know Coach Jones will do, the boys team will be fine. I just hope they realize that they have a excellent coach that can bring this team back to where they can again be competitive around the district and region.

As for the girls, the girl that transferred, her mother married a man that works in the county and has lived her all of his life. She is originally from here, so why wouldn't this child come here with her mother. The mother also got a JOB working in the school system. Why wouldn't this child play basketball for Owsley? As for the other student that quit, yes people make mistakes, and stuff happens and get over it. A coach is hired to make the decisions who to play. Coach Calipari recruits way too many players at Kentucky, more than the 5 that can start at one time and they get very competitive, but he makes that decision who starts. The Coach does, not the parents, or the public, the coach. The Lady Owls won the 14th Region All A because of all of the players, including the middle school girls that scrimmage against them at practice helping them get ready for games. It takes more than 5 starters to make a team. It took them all.
Payton

Booneville, KY

#24 Feb 28, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, for the record, I think we need a new Girls Coach. Look what he has done this year. He's took 2 of the BEST starters and is subing them in and out now with 2 other players. One of which just moved in here this year, and the other that quit last year and came back. What happened to loyalty, team work etc. I'll tell you what happened, it's politics here, not what you can do but who you know. AND they know the right people, adn most of them are at the board!! Sad, sad, sad... it's simply just not right but happens every year...And the other sad thing is, it's hurts the girls real bad, their self esteem, self worth all that stuff. I hope you are happy for doing this to these girls! What people do that have authority........
Wow. George?? Haha you have a lot to talk about me & my best friend, don't cha think? Just thought I'd make you know what I think about this. I think our coach is fine! If he wasn't we wouldn't have accomplished half of the things we did this season. We actually DO PLAY AS a TEAM! And two of the best starters? Hmm, rethink that situation. Everyone on our team is good, all the starters were good. Coach did this because we were all good and plus we ALL deserved it. Yeah I quit, big deal, I'm a teenager, I promise I'm far from perfect!!!!! & people at the board? Hmm, ya talking about my aunt, obviously. Haha wow you just keeping making me laugh. I can for sure tell you that my aunt has nothing to do with me starting, sorry to burst your bubble but I'm just that good.:) & Chelsi, couldn't help she moved here. But I'm definitely NOT complaining because I think me and her ball it up together. We are so good, you are jealous about it!:) If you wasn't then you wouldn't put it on Topix. A person hates you for 1 of 3 reasons. 1) They want to be you. 2) They hate themselves. 3) They see you as a threat...
I'm pretty sure you see us as a threat or you wanna be us. But to me I don't think an adult should be on here putting stuff about a child. It just shows how pathetic you really are. Keep dissing though, I'm loving it :) Just seriously, make sure ya check your stats next time and make what you say true, so you don't look stupid!:D Just remember though, everyone wants to watch us play, because we are fabulous basketball stars. & make sure next time ya put your "real" name, like me!
supportive parent

Pikeville, KY

#25 Feb 28, 2012
LTO wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. If the administration will leave the boys coach alone, the boys team next year will show a lot of improvement. With all of the starters back, and a lot of hard work this summer, which I know Coach Jones will do, the boys team will be fine. I just hope they realize that they have a excellent coach that can bring this team back to where they can again be competitive around the district and region.
As for the girls, the girl that transferred, her mother married a man that works in the county and has lived her all of his life. She is originally from here, so why wouldn't this child come here with her mother. The mother also got a JOB working in the school system. Why wouldn't this child play basketball for Owsley? As for the other student that quit, yes people make mistakes, and stuff happens and get over it. A coach is hired to make the decisions who to play. Coach Calipari recruits way too many players at Kentucky, more than the 5 that can start at one time and they get very competitive, but he makes that decision who starts. The Coach does, not the parents, or the public, the coach. The Lady Owls won the 14th Region All A because of all of the players, including the middle school girls that scrimmage against them at practice helping them get ready for games. It takes more than 5 starters to make a team. It took them all.
Very good post. We should be supportive of all players on the team both girls and boys and the coaches that give their time. Most teams go out and recruit good players and we have one fall in our laps and some are complaining about it. Put yourself in the shoes of that girl who gave up her home and friends to move here and has become part of an awesome Lady Owls team this year. From what I have seen she is a team player and has contributed to the success of the Lady Owls this year. Let's be supporitve of all players. It takes more than 1 or 2 for a team. Good luck next year to both teams!!!
sis

Pikeville, KY

#26 Feb 28, 2012
Payton wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. George?? Haha you have a lot to talk about me & my best friend, don't cha think? Just thought I'd make you know what I think about this. I think our coach is fine! If he wasn't we wouldn't have accomplished half of the things we did this season. We actually DO PLAY AS a TEAM! And two of the best starters? Hmm, rethink that situation. Everyone on our team is good, all the starters were good. Coach did this because we were all good and plus we ALL deserved it. Yeah I quit, big deal, I'm a teenager, I promise I'm far from perfect!!!!! & people at the board? Hmm, ya talking about my aunt, obviously. Haha wow you just keeping making me laugh. I can for sure tell you that my aunt has nothing to do with me starting, sorry to burst your bubble but I'm just that good.:) & Chelsi, couldn't help she moved here. But I'm definitely NOT complaining because I think me and her ball it up together. We are so good, you are jealous about it!:) If you wasn't then you wouldn't put it on Topix. A person hates you for 1 of 3 reasons. 1) They want to be you. 2) They hate themselves. 3) They see you as a threat...
I'm pretty sure you see us as a threat or you wanna be us. But to me I don't think an adult should be on here putting stuff about a child. It just shows how pathetic you really are. Keep dissing though, I'm loving it :) Just seriously, make sure ya check your stats next time and make what you say true, so you don't look stupid!:D Just remember though, everyone wants to watch us play, because we are fabulous basketball stars. & make sure next time ya put your "real" name, like me!
amen sista:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Booneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
crystal baker 4 hr Ace of Spades 11
Bobbi Moland dating Johnny Grigsby 9 hr anna__ 5
County Magistrates. 21 hr michael 38
Magistrates Round Two. Fri Ace of Spades 29
Stacy and Adam to say I do Saturday Fri Ace of Spades 25
hottie linda cole Thu Poor stupid people 3
Matthew Hollan! (May '14) Thu brenda 14
More from around the web

Booneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]