Reckless Firefighters

Posted in the Boone Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pissed

Boone, NC

#1 May 31, 2008
Today, while traveling west on 321, a volunteer firefighter nearly ran me off the road while he was responding to a call. As pissed as I was, I turned around and got his license plate number.(BL 2041) I see many volunteer firefighters driving like this around here. I'm sure some of their calls are legitimate emergencies, but I know that all of them are not. The reckless firefighter today was responding to an accident in front of K&G Auto. I had just passed the scene, and there didn't appear to be any serious injuries. Especially none that warranted This firefighter to speed, pass on a double yellow, and put others lives in danger. I seriously doubt any of these volunteer firefighters have any sort of driving lessons like police officers do. I respect the local volunteer fire departments and the men and women who are a part of them, but I don't think they should be able to drive like this, nor do I think they should be permitted to have flashing red lights.
Ronnie R

Asheville, NC

#2 Jun 1, 2008
I was unfortunate enough to spend a few years on a fire department where I was also a first responder. One reason I am no longer on the fire department is because of these gung ho idiots who think they are above the general population. What most of these people are too uneducated to understand is that if they wreck and don't make it to the scene of a call then the victims are in far worse shape. I really hated when my department would be called to a fire and some of the members would drive like a fool to get there unaware of the fact that they can't put the fire out until the fire truck gets to the scene. There is nothing I love more than a 18 year old with his fire department shirt on while wearing his fire department hat and pager. All of this of course is topped off by the big bad fireman driving around in his truck with a fire light attached or hidden on every available space. I think fire departments should start requiring new members to pass an IQ test before they are allowed to answer any calls.
Big Q

Swannanoa, NC

#3 Jun 4, 2008
I was also a fire man . One reason I am no longer on the fire department is because of the people that in the departments now they think they are above the general population. What most of these people are too understand is that if they wreck and don't make it to the scene of a call then the victims are in far worse shape. I really hated when my department would be called to a fire and some of the members would drive like a fool to get there unaware of the fact that they can't put the fire out until the fire truck gets to the scene. There is nothing I love more than a 17 and 18 year old with his little fire department shirt on while wearing his fire department hat and pager. All of this of course is topped off by the big bad fireman driving around in his big truck with a fire light attached on every available space. I think fire departments should start requiring new members to pass an IQ test before they are allowed to be a fire-man or emt.
Firefighter

United States

#4 Jun 23, 2008
As you trash the fire departments keep in mind they are the ones in alot of cases responding to calls. Driving to the scene you have to obay the driving laws! I agree some younger kids are gun-ho but the pool of volunteers you can aquire will always be limited.

PS 17 year olds cant respond to calls
WAIT A MINUTE

Hickory, NC

#5 Jun 23, 2008
Attn FIREFIGHTER, I don't get the impression that anyone is "trashing" the VFD, only that those responding to calls should obey traffic laws. Yes, some are gung ho and want to be first on the scene, those are usually the ones with the least experience.
Ronnie R

Boone, NC

#6 Jun 25, 2008
Hey firefighter, nobody said anything bad about volunteer firefighters in general. They only had opinions about how some of them tended to handle a call.

P.S. 17 year olds can answer fire calls and 10-50's(Wrecks), they just have to be on the cold side of the truck unless their fire department has a by-law against it. My fire department didn't have such a bylaw and there were 17 year olds driving like a fool to calls.
BabaBooey

Greenville, SC

#7 Jun 25, 2008
One of these idiots came up behind me on Holloway Mtn Road one day and must have been 2 feet off my bumper. I was driving as fast as I could on that bad road until there was a place that I could pull over. Some of these guys have wet dreams about being the first one on the scene.
Pissed

West Jefferson, NC

#8 Jun 26, 2008
I'm not trashing the fire departments. I respect them. However, police don't even drive the way SOME of these firefighters do. If it was a police officer driving the way this guy was, he most likely would have been fired. I don't think the volunteer firefighters should be allowed to have red lights. I think that First Responders should be allowed to have red lights, but only after some sort of training course. Police have a driving course, why not these guys?
I agree

Creston, NC

#9 Jul 15, 2008
I agree with PISSED about the way they drive. I've seen ambulances drive alot more careful and
respectful towards other drivers in emergency situations. VF's go through training, so why not add a training course for driving to their program. Anyone from this area shold know how hairy the traffic is in and around Boone, and I think the MOST important thing that you need to do when driving around here is to be ALERT. I have had to slam on my brakes so many times because of (I'm sure they were tourists) people turning around or stopping (not slowing down) to turn and then not turning. I'm no perfect driver, but it amazes me how many different traffic violations you can see in one day in Watauga Co.(Mostly Boone and HWY 105) To the point, It's hard to pull over in some areas, they shouldn't tail peoples rear ends and realize that doing that can cause stress in drivers and could cause another accident.
Johnsoncountyfir e

Jefferson, NC

#10 Jul 28, 2008
well sure sounds like it if it was you in trouble you would want us to get there as fast as we could but if you all want to wine its ok you will need us one day and we will still come
Pissed

Charlotte, NC

#11 Jul 28, 2008
I would want you to get there in a timely manner, but not risking other peoples lives in the process. It just makes no sense. And if you want to be a hero, join the military. That is, if you can handle it.
johnsoncountyfir efighter

Elizabethton, TN

#12 Jul 29, 2008
well we do get there in a timely manner we still are heros no matter what you know we vol our time so that some might live so it dont matter ppl still will wine on how we drive
Pissed

Charlotte, NC

#13 Jul 29, 2008
You don't sound like a hero. You sound like one of these guys the drives like an idiot. And I have seen a story on the news recently. I'm not sure how true it is, but it said that more volunteer firefighters die on the way to calls, than actually at the calls. Which I believe after seeing the way some of these guys drive.
firefighter

Johnson City, TN

#14 Jul 30, 2008
well you can belive what you want i have saved ppl before and i will do it agin and agin no matter how we drive you sould really think ever vol fireman because they put there live on the line so you may live we dont get paid we do it out of love yes there are the ones who just want the name as a firefighter but still there are ones who still care they may drive crazy but the jobs gets done
Ronnie R

Boone, NC

#15 Jul 30, 2008
Nobody on this site has said anything truly negative about firefighters or the service that they offer to the community. We all APPRECIATE them for all they do. What you need to understand is the wrecking and killing three people on the way to answer a call where no one is in danger accomplishes nothing. Read my initial post where I mentioned that I was once a firefighter myself. I have answered calls for 10-50's where the dispatcher clealy stated there were no injurys and I would still see my fellow firefighters driving like fools to get to the scene. If a structure fire is called out right this second and you haul some tail to get there and get suited up what is your next move? Oh yeah, you have to WAIT on the fire truck, unless ofcourse you happen to carry 1,200 gallons of water in your pocket just incase. Driving like a fool to save 2 minutes of response time doesnt help anyone. Remember, You can't fight fire with fire.
Concerned

Creston, NC

#16 Aug 17, 2008
TO Johnson co Firefighter:
Nobodys whining, and I was involved in a serios accident on HWY 105 in Foscoe with my 2 year old daughter. No one was seriously injured, I broke my collar bone and nearly broke my nose and was in pain for days, and I'm sure my 2 year old hurt just as much as I did. I was t-boned by some idiot pulling out into the road who said he didn't see me. I was running about 55 mph and my car was spun around several times until it landed on its side. Any ways, it was almost 5 pm on a weekday and it took 45 minutes for and ambulance to show up and about the same for a VF from Foscoe to show up. I grew up in Foscoe and I could tell you where most of the VFs then lived. I couldn't believe that after reporting being hurt and having an infant in the car that it took that long for someone to show up, he wasn't even a certified EMS, and he was the only VF that showed up. I was just a mile from the FD and the same from several of the VFs and EMS's homes. The State Highway Patrol Showed up last, no sheriffs deputys came. I was shocked. SO JC Firefighter, I was in trouble and scared and no one but a few passer bys stopped to help. There used to be a saying for that road "Stay Alive On 105", there has been too many deaths on that road, and thats why i was so shocked when nobody showed up sooner than they should have.
new york fire fighter

Redmond, WA

#17 Sep 6, 2008
I feel bad for you guys down south and your vf. Im a fire dept captain in new york and I have my rescue car I have sirens and everything I have to get to the calls the fastest because I determine how many more responders we need. Its the civilian drivers that don't understand "Get The Hell Out THe Way"
Cop

Asheville, NC

#18 Sep 7, 2008
I have issued citations to a few firefighters that were driving recklessly. Get there but get there safe. You cant help anyone if you dont make it to the scene. Please drive safe.
pissed

Anderson, SC

#19 Sep 7, 2008
Hey cop. Do you work in Watauga county? What can residents do about these reckless firefighters. I called the Sheriffs Office and State Troopers, and they sadi they couldn't do anything about it unless they saw it happen. I also called the Cove Creek Department, and asked for the highest ranking person there. He said he would address it, which I doubt he did. What can we do about this?
Policeman

Glenn Dale, MD

#20 Sep 7, 2008
Dear "Pissed", they are feeding you a bunch of crap. They could issue a citation but you would have to appear in court. Most Officers do not like to do that because people just dont show up. Example: A Bus Driver sees a person passing a stopped school bus....based on them, the person is issued a citation even though the Officer didnt see it happen. Dont stand for that answer, they CAN do something, they are just blowing you off!
I would say speaking to the Chief of the Fire Department in question, alot of times, they are your best chance to get action as they will not like it put in your local paper and be embarrasing for that Department.
I hope this helps.(If you dont like the answer the Dispatcher or Deputy has given you, you could always ask to speak with the Sheriff himself)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Antifa,BLM fight each other in Dallas 23 min waco1909 1
Local NAACP president: Unrest senseless, Confed... 30 min waco1909 12
The Left will come for YOU 31 min waco1909 28
Global Warming Is A LIE like Smoking Cigarettes 1 hr waco1909 18
Alt-left blames every one on earth for Charlott... 2 hr wacky waco 301
Steve Bannon fired! 11 hr southern at heart 32
Why Do I Have Pubes On My Hand? 11 hr southern at heart 13

Boone Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance