The Watauga County skate park has new rules and supervision to ensure the facility remains safe.

Aug 15, 2008 Full story: Watauga Democrat 22

The Watauga County skate park has new rules and supervision to ensure the facility remains safe.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
James Totten

Vilas, NC

#1 Sep 11, 2008
I think it is a great idea to ensure the safety of our youth by all means necessary. I think the only mandatory padding should be a helmet. Not many skateboarders have full padding, and none of them like wearing it. The only people wearing full padding are the kids with their parents that force them to wear pads. I grew up taking beatings from the concrete and my skin has toughened up from this. I will gladly wear a helmet but come on, anything more than that is just stupid. I am a college student in Banner Elk and I can not even skate anywhere anymore. As bad as it sounds I just sit in front of the television all day now. I don't have money to go buy uncomfortable pads just so I can go to Boone and skate during set times. Eliminate the padding laws and maybe the county will get its money worth. For now they are just losing money and that is what it comes down to.
Deer Hunter

Asheville, NC

#2 Sep 19, 2008
I work for the county and I also play softball with Parks and Rec...There have been many games when we played that kids are over there using terrible language and not wearing any helmets. There are many children that run around at the ball park at night that do not need to hear the awful language. The security is great and has helped out with all of the above.
We The People

Boone, NC

#3 Sep 19, 2008
Deer Hunter wrote:
I work for the county and I also play softball with Parks and Rec...There have been many games when we played that kids are over there using terrible language and not wearing any helmets. There are many children that run around at the ball park at night that do not need to hear the awful language. The security is great and has helped out with all of the above.
Um, I go to watch many of the softball games at several of the fields and hear the same language at optimist field as I do at Industrial. Just because skateboarders have gotten a bad stereotype because of a few bad eggs doesn't mean that one should placebo or simply imagine bad language from a certain group of people. Since you play on county owned property, how would you like it if the county imposed rules on time you were allowed to enjoy these amenities? What if you didn't have a helmet and couldn't play so you were forced to rent a helmet from an old man waiting in a van like the skateboarders do? Better yet, what if the county imposed time allotments for you to even step foot on the fields because they're only open at inconvenient hours? Be serious, isn't America all about equality? With liberty and justice for all....except skateboarders.
Deer Hunter

Asheville, NC

#4 Sep 23, 2008
to bad they are made to wear helmets so that they dont kill them selves on a skateboard. We are talking about high school and younger kids that come out there and run their mouths. Adult softball is played by ADULTS. You cant change the way an adult talks to someone but its about time someone taught kids these days how to respect their elders because a lot of parents aint doin to great of a job of that. It wont kill them to wear a helmet infact it just may save their lives.
We The People

Boone, NC

#5 Sep 23, 2008
Deer Hunter wrote:
to bad they are made to wear helmets so that they dont kill them selves on a skateboard. We are talking about high school and younger kids that come out there and run their mouths. Adult softball is played by ADULTS. You cant change the way an adult talks to someone but its about time someone taught kids these days how to respect their elders because a lot of parents aint doin to great of a job of that. It wont kill them to wear a helmet infact it just may save their lives.
If you would educate yourself on this situation you would understand that this skatepark problem is a bit deeper than having to wear a helmet. Look into why college age skateboarders with night job'\s can't skate. Why is it that you completely ignore the fact that the adults playing softball curse just like the young people do? I watch ADULT softball and I do hear foul language from these Adults. What all this boils down to is that you have preconceived notions about these skateboarders and assume that they are a problem. The real problem here is bigotry, be it race, religion or a hobby. Grow up.
Skateboarders

Mountain City, TN

#6 Sep 24, 2008
Cause damage to public and private property.
We the People

West Jefferson, NC

#7 Sep 24, 2008
Skateboarders wrote:
Cause damage to public and private property.
We're talking about a skatepark here. You know, a place for people to skate so people like you don't get upset. Either way we do appreciate another bit of stereotyping, that always helps to make your point.
Skateboarders

Creola, AL

#8 Sep 25, 2008
Instead of mooching off taxpayers, why don't the Skaterzzz get together, buy some land and build their own skate park?

When dealing with skaterzz yo!, stereotypes are very accurate. yo! Ya'll be rad, sick and bitchen. yo! Do a McTwist 540 inverted fakey, yo!
We The People

West Jefferson, NC

#9 Sep 25, 2008
Skateboarders wrote:
Instead of mooching off taxpayers, why don't the Skaterzzz get together, buy some land and build their own skate park?
When dealing with skaterzz yo!, stereotypes are very accurate. yo! Ya'll be rad, sick and bitchen. yo! Do a McTwist 540 inverted fakey, yo!
That's a great idea! Maybe all the children of the area can save their allowances and buy some land to build a park with some swings and a slide. What about these adult softball players I've spoke of before? Should they build thier own baseball fields? What about walkers and joggers? Should they build thier own walking trails? You complain about them damaging property yet disagree with building a place for them to go? You're a walking contradiction whose ignorance entertains me. Oh yeah, the skatepark didn't cost the taxpayers anything. The county allowed use the land that had been a rarley used basketball court. Everything in the skatepark its self was paid for by the man who fought for the park, Buzz Berry. So in comparison who cost the taxpayers more, skateboarders or softball players?
Sk8terz

Creola, AL

#10 Sep 25, 2008
Yo! Whattup skaterzz rulz...I do believe the skaters don't pay much in the way of taxes, whereas those awful adult softball playerz are footing the bill for their recreational pursuitz.

Tony Hawk is da manzz in a pair of Vanzz. Skaterz are like smokerz, if they didn't purposely go out of their way to anger the general public, more folkz would be sympathetic to their cauz. Why do skaterz blatantly violate no skating laws? Why do skaterz blatantly trespass on private propety?
We The People

West Jefferson, NC

#11 Sep 25, 2008
Sk8terz wrote:
Yo! Whattup skaterzz rulz...I do believe the skaters don't pay much in the way of taxes, whereas those awful adult softball playerz are footing the bill for their recreational pursuitz.
Tony Hawk is da manzz in a pair of Vanzz. Skaterz are like smokerz, if they didn't purposely go out of their way to anger the general public, more folkz would be sympathetic to their cauz. Why do skaterz blatantly violate no skating laws? Why do skaterz blatantly trespass on private propety?
Do the children on the playgrounds pay taxes? What about folks from Johnson and Ashe counties who come to play softball in Watauga county? What about the jobless college kids who walk and run on the Greenway? Do you really think that every single skateboarder is a bad person? If everyone believed stereotypes like yourself then your negative ethnocentric attitude would paint an image of a mulleted, cut-off sleeved, hillbilly by day and a pillowcase helmet menace by night.
Sk8terz

Creola, AL

#12 Sep 26, 2008
Are haterz. Now go break something and leave some graffiti on the back wall of some hapless business. What percentage of skaterz are illicit drug users and underage drinkers?
Deer Hunter

Asheville, NC

#13 Sep 29, 2008
This has gotten ridiculous...First of all every team that plays in the softball leagues has sponsors that pay for the team that we aquire each and every year. We pay for the lights, umpires, scorekeepers, and electricity with those fees. Get active and go out there and take advantage of these nice facilities instead of bitchin about what you pay for in your taxes. We all pay for the same things in our taxes. Maybe we should complain about something like the major debt this country is in or think about the soldiers that are dying over seas to keep us safe here at home each and everyday. A helmet won't kill the kids and a little structure in their lives will be good for them.
Skaterz

Mountain City, TN

#14 Sep 29, 2008
Look like dorks with those tupperware bowl shaped helmets. They also need bigger knee and elbow pads. You should look like a hockey goalie when you are finished padding up.

Gnarly!!! Ride that bowl and do a fakey.

Toni Hawkz for Prez!
SkaterboyzMom

Evanston, IL

#15 Oct 7, 2008
The skate park is there because the children in the community asked for a place to skate. Now that it is there, it is the responsibility of the skaters to wear helmets and enjoy using it. The required use of full pads is excessive and will drive the kids back to stair sets and ledges around town where they will damage property. The attitude of the security guard towards the kids drives them away. One person with the power to harass the kids...easy to figure out how that works out in action. Language is a problem everywhere. We can't honestly single out this group until we are willing to clean up language in our homes, in our music, in our schools, on the web....oh, wait, this is America. Did you know they no longer are allowed to bring water because the kids leave their plastic bottles behind? The trash cans are too far away and are not to be moved to the skate area? No others are provided? I know a boy who was not allowed to bring his own stainless water bottle in. The question really is why the kids are being driven away. Who wants to profit from their absence and subsequent closing of the park? Bravo to the boy who wants to step up and look after the park for the month to see what the real cause of the mess is.
Mason Jones

Asheville, NC

#16 Oct 10, 2008
There is a simple fact here being overlooked by almost everybody involved. A skate park isn't just a place for kids to come and skate. It's a sanctuary. These skaters come from all over the surrounding area to take part in something they love only to be harassed by those who cannot or will not try to understand. It is apparently the view of about half the people who have posted here that skaters need to start taking some responsibility, save up some money, and build a park for themselves. Im here to say that it has already been done. Buzz Berry, the man behind the Appalachian Skatepark Council and a longtime skateboarder himself was the one who signed an 80,000 dollar lease to purchase the ramps for the skatepark. His name is on that lease, not the county of watauga or the town of boone. And to "Sk8terz" up there, it is a PROVEN sociological fact that skateparks actually PREVENT the use of illicit drugs in a community because the presence of more people drives out the older junkies and keeps the children involved in a productive and DRUG FREE past time. Open your eyes people. Skateboarding is the fastest growing sport in the world, so get used to us or get out of the way. We just want equality.
Sons of Anarchy

Creola, AL

#17 Oct 10, 2008
Just get Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton to come to town and stage a protest on your behalf. Obviously, Skaterz are a protected minority and should enjoy the same "rights" as gays, pedophiles and Democrats.

Mason, show us your "proof" that skateparks prevent drug use....Skaterz are irresponsible trouble-makers. Usually, they do poorly in school and grow up to be leeches on society.

If'n you ain't a Skaterz, you's be's a haterz!!!
zack

Anderson, SC

#18 Jan 23, 2009
personally i think that the rules regarding the park were stupid i understand people are concerned about their kids safety but i mean if your that paranoid then don't let them skate i mean helmets are understandable but any of those other rules are only going to cause a decline in park accumulation causing loss of interest.i think if kids want to skate then there taking that risk and you as a community need to respect their decision to do so.Thanks
Peace
tate

Spartanburg, SC

#19 Jan 30, 2009
Sk8terz wrote:
Yo! Whattup skaterzz rulz...I do believe the skaters don't pay much in the way of taxes, whereas those awful adult softball playerz are footing the bill for their recreational pursuitz.
Tony Hawk is da manzz in a pair of Vanzz. Skaterz are like smokerz, if they didn't purposely go out of their way to anger the general public, more folkz would be sympathetic to their cauz. Why do skaterz blatantly violate no skating laws? Why do skaterz blatantly trespass on private propety?
why are there no skateboarding laws?
Tony Hawk doesn't ride for Vans and never has.
The letter "z" doesn't go at the end of any word in the american language.
Skateboarders shouldn't have to fight for the right to have fun. Every city and town in America has some sort of Ball field or court, which usually doesn't even get used but once or twice a week. We need more public skateparks controlled by people who know at least a little bit about skateboaridng. As Mr. Berry said, knee pads and elbow pads are meant for full size halfpipes and bowls, and restrict movement in any of the typical skating kids do nowadays. These parks don't have vert ramps or bowls, why do they impose laws requiring padding which is only useful on these terrains? I definitely understand requiring helmets, but not pads, it's ridiculous!
it doesn't make sense.
Most people have a vendetta against skateboarders because society as a whole has mandated that skateboarding is bad and, therefore, people who skateboard are bad.
tate

Spartanburg, SC

#20 Jan 30, 2009
ha! I put "american" language. Apparently I was so heated about the ridiculous stereotypes people are throwing around on this forum that I didn't think to put english instead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wee-Cycle Home Goods Consignment Sale 6 min weecycle 1
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 1 hr Taxpayer 59,684
betty austin 3 hr john brady 32
Deep Gap Fire Department 17 hr firemen 158
Lawn Service Providers 18 hr regular mowing man 18
Review: Hampton's Body Shop Inc (Mar '10) Wed ohmy 19
High Country Road Danger Wed handyman20000 1
•••
•••

Boone Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Boone People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Boone News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Boone
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••