Bike lanes planned on U.S. 321...

Bike lanes planned on U.S. 321...

There are 23 comments on the Watauga Democrat story from Aug 9, 2012, titled Bike lanes planned on U.S. 321.... In it, Watauga Democrat reports that:

The N.C. Department of Transportation is working with the contractor for several current repaving projects in Boone on last-minute plans to stripe bike lanes on U.S. 321 from Rivers Street to N.C. 105.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Watauga Democrat.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LuLu

Greer, SC

#1 Aug 9, 2012
Gotta love those "last minute plans" on projects that took how long to plan and draw out?
DOT

Hickory, NC

#2 Aug 10, 2012
yeah, we're just dumbasses. we really don't know what we're doing anyway, we just wait on our paychecks.
LuLu

Greer, SC

#3 Aug 10, 2012
Just saying Jefferson Post reported on Aug.7 that "public input" was wanted, then the Watauga Democrat reports that bike lanes are a go. That's got to be a record for time. For the record, NO ONE called anybody a "dumbass". I happen to be in favor of bike lanes. I ride one myself and lanes help everyone. I'm sorry you have such a low opinion of your job. I've looked at NCDOT web site and looks like you'll be employed till about 2030 with all the projects they have planned in this area.
brian

Sugar Grove, NC

#4 Aug 12, 2012
i have no problem calling the NC DOT dumbasses. they piss away more money wasting it in a year then most people in the county will make it 5 years. you always see just 1 person working and 5 to 7 of em standing around leaning on tools. i say fire half of them now maybe the remaining half will actually get off there lazy asses and earn there pay check
Bob

Carolina Beach, NC

#5 Aug 12, 2012
I agree. It kills me to see a half dozen guys watching 1 guy work. What's the point? Do they rotate the work or something? It's just ridiculous.
LuLu

Greer, SC

#6 Aug 13, 2012
But, do you think bike lanes will help or hurt the area?
Bob

Carolina Beach, NC

#7 Aug 13, 2012
Bike lanes would help out a lot. But, a lot of people around here don't know to look over your right shoulder to check for a bike when there's a bike lane. I don't remember it being on the driver's exam, and people around here don't know about it because we're not used to them.
Unless there is a new project, like a widening or a new road, there isn't really room for bike lanes. You can't just squeeze them into the current roads around here, with a few exceptions like the curve by Watauga Opportunities. I look for more bicycle/vehicle accidents if there are more bike lanes.
brian

Sugar Grove, NC

#8 Aug 13, 2012
its not a matter of will bike lanes help our area. Everyone knows they will help if nothing else they may keep someone from running over a person on a bike. however its not always so cut and dry like that. yes they would help but can we really afford them right now when our economy is in such dissrepair. nother point the NC DOT cant maintain the roads we have now how is adding more work for them to do going to help anything.What we really need is a government that will pull there heads out of there a**** and actually help our economy instead of trying to run it just a little further into the ground
datool

Hickory, NC

#9 Aug 14, 2012
wonder why they haven't painted them back on Rivers Street. looks like they have painted all the other stuff after the paving.
brian

Sugar Grove, NC

#10 Aug 22, 2012
why is it with almost half the roads in watauga co still gravel the state is blowing money on paving bike lanes instead of paving the unimproved roads?
brian

Sugar Grove, NC

#11 Aug 30, 2012
here is a little known fact the state will not tell you. All that dust that comes from the gravel roads causes cancer. a really nasty form of it too called silicosis. So the state is giving people cancer and dont care. At what point did it become more important to make the entrence to boone pretty than to prevent the rest of the county from dying a slow painful death from silicosis. And why is it that if our employers were exposing us to the same dust they would be required by law to fix it or to provide respiratory protection. but since its the D.O.T causing the cancer they dont have to do anything to protect us from it
LuLu

Greer, SC

#12 Aug 30, 2012
Brian, really?? Fact check will ya?
brian

Sugar Grove, NC

#13 Aug 31, 2012
LuLu wrote:
Brian, really?? Fact check will ya?
oh do tell what part of that is not a fact?
brian

Sugar Grove, NC

#14 Sep 2, 2012
here is a copy of the MSDS from vulcan quarry.
Carcinogenicity:
Crystalline silica, a component in this product, has been listed as a carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer
(IARC), the National Toxicology Program (NTP), and/or the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). For additional
information, see Section 11.
Skin Contact:
Dust particles can scratch and irritate the skin with redness, an itching or burning feeling, swelling of the skin, and/or rash.
SECTION 3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
WARNING
Dust may irritate the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. Avoid breathing excessive dust. Breathing silica-containing dust for prolonged
periods in the workplace can cause lung damage and a lung disease called silicosis. Several scientific organizations have classified
crystalline silica as causing lung cancer in humans. Silicosis or lung cancer can result in permanent injury or death.
Primary Routes of Exposure:
Inhalation and contact with the eyes and skin.
Eye Contact:
Dust particles can scratch the eye causing tearing, redness, a stinging or burning feeling, or swelling of the eyes with blurred vision.
Inhalation:
Dusts may irritate the nose, throat and respiratory tract by mechanical abrasion. Coughing sneezing and shortness of breath may occur.
Ingestion:
Expected to be practically non-toxic. Ingestion of large amounts may cause gastrointestinal irritation including nausea, vomiting
diarrhea and blockage.
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
Effective Date: 05/31/2009
Replaces: 04/01/2006
05/31/2009 GRANITE - Page 1 of 5 MSDS 3239-002-MW
Granite
ames:
Aggregate, Manufactured Sand, Fine Filler
Manufacturer/Contact Info:
Vulcan Construction Materials, LP
(crystalline silica)
Effects Following Prolonged or Repeated Exposure:
Exposure to high levels of respirable crystalline silica is associated with silicosis, lung cancer, and autoimmune disorders. For
additional information, see Section 11.
Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazards:
Contact with powerful oxidizing agents may cause fire and/or explosions (see Section 10 of MSDS).
Special Firefighting Procedures:
None
Extinguishing Media:
The presence of this material in a fire does not hinder the use of any standard extinguishing medium. Use extinguishing medium for
surrounding fire.
Flash Point (Method Used):
Not applicable
Flammable Limits:
LEL: Not applicable UEL: Not applicable
Autoignition Temperature:
Not applicable
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
MSDS 3239-002-MW GRANITE - Page 2 of 5 05/31/2009
Signs and Symptoms of Exposure:
Symptoms of silicosis may include (but are not limited to) shortness of breath, difficulty breathing with or without exertion; coughing;
diminished work capacity; diminished chest expansion; reduction of lung volume; right heart enlargement and/or failure.
Medical Conditions Aggravated by Exposure:
Pre-existing medical conditions that may be aggravated by exposure include disorders of the eye, skin and lung (including asthma and
other breathing disorders). If addicted to tobacco, smoking will impair the ability of the lungs to clear themselves of dust.
LuLu

Greer, SC

#15 Sep 2, 2012
I'm impressed Brian, finally someone does the leg work and yet people still continue to work in these conditions. I guess there is someone at the time clock forcing them to accept that paycheck. It's as though they have no free will to refuse to work under unhealthy conditions. Thanks for the info. Maybe the NCDOT will read your post.
brian

Sugar Grove, NC

#16 Sep 3, 2012
its not about the working conditions its about the conditions people are being forced to live in. if it was work OSHA would help. but since its living and its the state doing it nothing will ever be done. the state cares nothing about your health or the fact that the high country has one of the highest cancer rates in residents in the state. even the quarry knows the dangers of the rock dust so they keep it all sprayed down with water to prevent the dust. the state knows of the dangers and continues to ignor it or just doesnt care about it. So again I ask why is it the state DOT can ignor the warnings about the dust and subject residents all threw the area to it and nothing will be done. Are the government agencies not liable for the damages they cause to peoples health? And if that is the case why do the rules ment to protect us only apply to businesses and employers adn not state agencies?
LuLu

Greer, SC

#17 Sep 3, 2012
What "conditions" are people being forced to live in that you are talking about, secondary roads? Were ALL roads dirt/gravel at one time?
brian

Sugar Grove, NC

#18 Sep 3, 2012
and that dust from those grave roads is cancer causing. now i dong know about you but i can just pick up and move because the dust from the rock road is causing me health problems
brian

Sugar Grove, NC

#19 Sep 3, 2012
Some of us own farms that we bought 15 years ago. at that time the daily traffic flow on my road was less than 10 cars per day. Since that time the traffic has increased to well over 200 cars per day. When a car goes up or down the road running 40 to 50 mph it kicks up a cloud of dust that looks like a fog bank moving in. This dust cloud rolls right onto our property in our house and all over my crops in the field. After this dust has setteled in the field it starts to cause crop damage in a matter of hours. At one time the DOT did say that if we paid for it they would spray the road with chemicles to keep the dust down so we paid. Less than a week later here comes the grader and scraped off all the chemicle we paid to have applied which started the dust storms all over again. So you tell me what choice do we property owners have other than to suck it upand live with this cancer causing dust cloud? So back to my origional question why are the property owners and full time residents being made to suffer with this dust while the DOT pisses away money on bike lanes instead of making sure all the roads in the county are paved before they decide to spend money on making things pretty for the college
LuLu

Greer, SC

#20 Sep 3, 2012
200 cars a day??? You might check to see if that many TAXPAYERS could request the state/county pave your road.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump beats ISIS in months: After years of Obam... 3 hr waco1909 9
Sgt. La David T. Johnson, 3rd SF Grp (Airborne)... 3 hr Victoria 55
Watauga Roads Fri Bobby 1
jew media SEX PREADATOR "Everybody %*@-ING KNEW" Oct 20 Greg 2
David Gales Magistrate Oct 18 Keeping it Real 1
Angie Auton Miller???? (Jul '09) Oct 17 a friend 16
Thinking about moving to Boone (Jan '11) Oct 12 tlorraine1982 60

Boone Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance