Iowa grocery stores battle for Ankeny consumers

There are 16 comments on the May 17, 2006, Des Moines Register story titled Iowa grocery stores battle for Ankeny consumers. In it, Des Moines Register reports that:

Three major Iowa grocery chains are lining up along one of Ankeny's main streets to compete for customers in the fast-growing city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Des Moines Register.

Kurtis

Des Moines, IA

#1 May 17, 2006
Hy-Vee could stand a little competition.
I can buy the same items at Fareway for less money.
Once you throw Dahlís in the mix, you will have companies
fighting for your weekly grocery budget. With any luck the local consumer will be able to stretch their dollar.
Native

AOL

#2 May 19, 2006
I agree. We mostly shop at Fareway because they have the best prices. I do like Dahl's though because they have an awesome bakery.
RetSquid

Cleghorn, IA

#3 Sep 1, 2006
Fareway Rocks!
ohenry

Nevada, IA

#4 Mar 28, 2007
We need more Boone and Ankeny people over at glurb.com .

The message board has pretty nice features and I've been using it for about 3 months.
mjneh

Ames, IA

#5 Apr 15, 2007
Fareway has the best prices and will meet other stores coupons.
jeff

Santa Ana, CA

#6 Apr 18, 2007
Fareway has the toughest steaks in the entire state, HyVee meat is lousy, Wal-Mart meat is garbage. Dahls by far has the most tender steaks, and Wal-Mart has the best prices bar none in Des Moines, but again their meat just as HyVee's is pre-vacuumed packed with gasses that ruin the meat. Dahls uses boxed meats which are by far more tender, and Fareway meat is much too fresh with no age which makes steaks flavorless and tough!
cole

United States

#7 Apr 22, 2007
um fareway isnt good.. No selection. Hyvee by far the best in ankeny.. Dahls is arranged weird and prices arnt cheap. Selection is important to me. And im not buyin from walmart because i dont want to get steak and underware in the same trip.
Jon

Spencer, IA

#8 May 12, 2007
We here in spencer have the best meat in town Hy Vee cant beat our meat
Dan

Ames, IA

#9 Aug 28, 2007
Ohenry this is not an adversising forum (in my opinion, as I don't know the rules here) anyways Fareway would give Hy Vee a good competition... I love the quality of their meat!!
ohenry

Nevada, IA

#10 Sep 2, 2007
You just advertised Hy Vee. ;-)

I was just saying that there are more Iowans talking over at www.HeyIowa.com
steiff

Sherman, TX

#11 Dec 16, 2007
blibber shtim
Wolf52

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Dec 22, 2007
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be moving to Iowa in about 5 years. Living in New Jersey is more than I can take now. AT least I have a handle on where to do my food shopping. Been to Fairway, Hy Vee but not Dahls. Any recomendations for good Italian or Chinese resturants? I appreciate any information you can give me. I loved Rube's Steak house. Cooking your own rib eye on an open grill was a blast. In New Jersey that would never happen. Some idiot would burn his hand and sue the place. I love the midwest people, it's like the way it was here about 40 years ago. And everyone speaks English. What a concept!
Kathy4UofIA

Salisbury, MD

#13 Dec 24, 2007
Join me in Making a New Year's Resolution for America!

We will make waves in Iowa!

Forward this video around to everyone you know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch ...

And don't forget to pledge!

www.Dough4Joe.com
Jim in Iowa

Des Moines, IA

#15 Feb 11, 2008
I used to work for Hy Vee and often questioned their direction and philosophies. Well, they've done nothing but grow and flourish. It just shows what know about the grocery industry.
Wolf52

Randolph, NJ

#16 Feb 12, 2008
You're an honest man Jim!
Dwight Vredenberg

Springdale, AR

#17 Mar 18, 2008
Hy Vee rocks. But you cant beat super wal-marts prices. Until they take over the country and the prices go through the roof. I guess thats how Hy-Vee got so big. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Your 2 Cents' Worth Submit brief anonymous comm... (Jul '09) Mar 31 Go Blue Forever 176
News Sixth annual contest for Iowa's Best Burger Mar '15 jennyp 1
looking for christain couple to adopt my newbor... Mar '15 Anita 1
News Rand Paul defends shushing interview Feb '15 The Sage of Main ... 64
News Ready, Ames, fire? Jan '15 Aria 1
Debate: Marijuana - Ames, IA (Aug '10) Dec '14 Chris 25
News Winter storm: What you need to know now (Sep '14) Sep '14 Francesco Sinibaldi 1
More from around the web

Boone People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]