Blizzard of '09 Snow Totals

Blizzard of '09 Snow Totals

There are 24 comments on the WHOtv story from Dec 9, 2009, titled Blizzard of '09 Snow Totals. In it, WHOtv reports that:

Latest Snow Fall Reports at of 10:30 AM: Boone 11.5" Perry 6.0" Osceola 13.2" Johnston 11.1" Lamoni 12.0" Corning 15.0" Oskaloosa 10.0" Carroll 10.5" Audobon 14.0" Marshalltown 13.0" Grinnell 12.0" Readlyn 13.0" State Center 11.0" Eldora 13.0" Clive 15.6" Waterloo 10.0" Dana 14.0" Indianola 15.0" Winterset 15.0" Grundy Center 9.0" Toledo 14.0" ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jeff

West Des Moines, IA

#1 Dec 9, 2009
I measured with a tape measure in the middle of my yard last night at ~8pm and had 14 3/4", then whatever we got last night. Maybe had ~2" prior.
(West Des Moines, near Dowling)
Linda R Blakely

United States

#2 Dec 9, 2009
We received 13" here in Boone just for the record. We measured several snow fall areas in our yard that are not "wind" induced. It ranged from 12.5" - 14" so we averaged it at 13". A foot is a foot regardless.
stillawake

Albany, GA

#3 Dec 9, 2009
Is that all? When I was your age it snowed like this EVERY DAY and we still walked to work. Uphill both ways, mind you.

What's with all the namby-pamby closings and such? Kids these days are being raised as wimps!
jack

Le Mars, IA

#4 Dec 9, 2009
stillawake whose age are you referring to? I've been around 39 years and this is one of the biggest. Definitely doesn't happen every day. School closings happened regularly when I was a child in school also. Don't you want children to remain safe?
David

Story City, IA

#5 Dec 9, 2009
We had 13.5" in Nevada.(Trained Spotter - Already reported to NWS)
SheilaRae

Montezuma, IA

#6 Dec 9, 2009
We all like to grump about it while it is happening, but I am sure we all have fond memories of "When I was a kid" I remember several years in the early 80's our road would not be cleaned out for weeks. My dad would have to take us to the main road pulling us on sleds behind the snowmobile to get to the school bus. In a strange way I wish my kids had those experiences as well. Everyone stay warm and if you are stuck at home have some fun and play with your kids.
ISU Student

Ames, IA

#7 Dec 9, 2009
stillawake wrote:
Is that all? When I was your age it snowed like this EVERY DAY and we still walked to work. Uphill both ways, mind you.
What's with all the namby-pamby closings and such? Kids these days are being raised as wimps!
I just want to defend the college level population. If we were to have had class this AM, I would have had to walk 15 minutes across campus on sidewalks covered in snow (simply because they can't keep up) and fierce winds making it almost impossible to see, breathe, or even want to move. I'm almost always happy and ready to accept a snow day especially since we never get them anymore, but during the middle of dead week (last week of regular classes before finals) there aren't many of us studnets that are excited to give up our last review sessions with our instructors. However, none of us WANT to walk outside in this and are grateful that the college recognizes the needs of it's students. So don't say we are wimps because we don't have the ability to take five steps from our front doors to the car door so we can get out of the storm and attempt to drive to work.
Oskaloosa

Milton, FL

#8 Dec 9, 2009
stillawake wrote:
Is that all? When I was your age it snowed like this EVERY DAY and we still walked to work. Uphill both ways, mind you.
What's with all the namby-pamby closings and such? Kids these days are being raised as wimps!
I just find this a bit funny the sense that it reminds me of storys my grandfather would tell us on these winter days when would be stuck at home. I would not want anyone to be out there in this in fact I am still in my P.J. because I have no plans of leaving my house for any reason
Pella

Pella, IA

#9 Dec 9, 2009
stillawake, get some sleep. When I was your age we slept right through these storms, we didn't stay awake like nervous nellys
MSB81

Ankeny, IA

#10 Dec 9, 2009
I'm fairly certain that stillawake was being sarcastic. ;)
Lynnette

Reasnor, IA

#11 Dec 9, 2009
stillawake - I know you were kidding. I laughed. Sorry not everyone got it.
Snowedin

Des Moines, IA

#12 Dec 9, 2009
I think your report for snowfall in Perry is a little off. We had over 6 inches before midnight lastnight and it snowed hard off and on till 10 this morning. Perry has at got at least 10 to 12 inches out of this storm.
Robin

State Center, IA

#13 Dec 9, 2009
Exactly how do you measure amount of snowfall when it blows around so much and isn't evenly distributed?
Jay

Pella, IA

#14 Dec 9, 2009
why isn't Knoxville, PELLA especially, Oskaloosa ever mentioned on digital TV channel? Snow amounts of interest to all......we never hear our weather conditions except for Knoxville.
Monroe

Indianola, IA

#15 Dec 9, 2009
Monroe(Jasper County) 19.3"
Mike

AOL

#16 Dec 9, 2009
Perry number is way off...my yard has as little as dust in places and most of my back yard and alley is 30 plus inches.
Linda

Excelsior, MN

#17 Dec 9, 2009
jack wrote:
stillawake whose age are you referring to? I've been around 39 years and this is one of the biggest. Definitely doesn't happen every day. School closings happened regularly when I was a child in school also. Don't you want children to remain safe?
When I was a kid we didn't have offical blizzard warnings like they do today, heck, we didn't even have wind chills until later in my life and I'm 54 (today is my birthday) so I can understand what stillawake is talking about. I remember we had a dress code and when I'd walk home from school, which was about four blocks away, my legs felt froze. They would be red and itchy and if the dog jumped on me, boy did they smart! I admit it didn't snow like this every day but we did get a lot of snow in December and didn't miss any school because of weather unless it was so bad the buses couldn't run. Which was hardly ever. In April of 1973 ( I believe that was the year) we had another blizzard where you couldn't see across the street or your front yard. It was that bad. I don't know how much snow we have here but suffice it to say it's still being blown around, each time I take the dogs out I have to shovel off the porch just to get the door open enough to let them out. And I've done this several times today already. Also during my school years we didn't call off school due to heat advisories either. We didn't have air conditioning back then either. There was no such thing as central air at that time, at least not for houses, but the schools did have really big windows, no screens though. Just reliving the old days, sorry for rambiling.
Linda

Excelsior, MN

#18 Dec 9, 2009
ISU Student wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want to defend the college level population. If we were to have had class this AM, I would have had to walk 15 minutes across campus on sidewalks covered in snow (simply because they can't keep up) and fierce winds making it almost impossible to see, breathe, or even want to move. I'm almost always happy and ready to accept a snow day especially since we never get them anymore, but during the middle of dead week (last week of regular classes before finals) there aren't many of us studnets that are excited to give up our last review sessions with our instructors. However, none of us WANT to walk outside in this and are grateful that the college recognizes the needs of it's students. So don't say we are wimps because we don't have the ability to take five steps from our front doors to the car door so we can get out of the storm and attempt to drive to work.
I understand where you are coming from, however, I can also relate to stillawake. I think most of the kids today have it too easy. I'm sorry but walking 15 minutes in this kind of weather was nothing new to kids in my day. We'd do it every school day no matter if it was snowing or freezing rain. If we didn't our parents would whip us or scream at us to get our education or we'd be worse than they were. Mind you, this is all before SS got involved in the lives of parents and their raising of kids. I was thankful that mom always kept a pair of old pants for me to wear under my dress and my snow boots as well as a heavy wool coat. I was about 10 then and here you are a college student complaining. Oi Vey!
Linda

Excelsior, MN

#19 Dec 9, 2009
Oskaloosa wrote:
<quoted text>
I just find this a bit funny the sense that it reminds me of storys my grandfather would tell us on these winter days when would be stuck at home. I would not want anyone to be out there in this in fact I am still in my P.J. because I have no plans of leaving my house for any reason
I think Stillawake is just joking, they always start out with "uphill, both ways, in some kind of snow storm". Although I do agree with him on schools and the kids today, I don't agree with him on the closings. This snow merited the closings, heck, just tonight my boyfriend's work called and said they were canceling work. But they didn't last night when the storm was it's worst. Go figure.

On my previous postings, I just had to play along. Sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers. Just an old woman trying to have a little fun on the last part of her birthday. It does bring back a lot of memories though. Making snow men with my brothers. Snowball fights and the like. I do miss the family style. Being able to be out until late because your folks didn't worry about bad things happening to you because it wasn't broadcast as it is today. That's why the kids are being over protected. Media. Go figure.
Ugmo

Ankeny, IA

#20 Dec 10, 2009
stillawake wrote:
Is that all? When I was your age it snowed like this EVERY DAY and we still walked to work. Uphill both ways, mind you.
What's with all the namby-pamby closings and such? Kids these days are being raised as wimps!
I so totally agree with u. Wimps they are and so are their parents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chinese praying mantis made the trip to Le Mars (Oct '08) Jul 16 Jrauch 2
Hookup! Mar '17 SlimGravy 1
News How Canada Curbed Foreign Workers and Hobbled I... Feb '17 wheres the beef 1
anybody know a todd or teresa peterson (Feb '09) Dec '16 jjdecker 3
Brandon Lee (Jan '16) Jan '16 Family friend 1
News With early voting approaching, candidates swing... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Ann StJohn 1
News Palin: Are you ready to make America great again? (Jan '16) Jan '16 Ann StJohn 1

Boone Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Boone Mortgages