HMMNNNNNNN

Quinlan, TX

#81 Feb 12, 2010
Before we go spending on animals, it might be a good idea to invest in ways to have people employed so they could pay the taxes to take care of the puppies and kitties. If someone has 200k laying around for a new pound, pony up and get to building.

BTW I have several very happy, well fed and loved dogs, some were found strays.
Pat Ward

Dallas, TX

#82 Feb 12, 2010
HMMNNNNNNN wrote:
Before we go spending on animals, it might be a good idea to invest in ways to have people employed so they could pay the taxes to take care of the puppies and kitties. If someone has 200k laying around for a new pound, pony up and get to building.
BTW I have several very happy, well fed and loved dogs, some were found strays.
The money to build the shelter is not an issue, Hmmmmm. We can build the new facility but if there aren't sufficient funds to sustain its operating expenses, there is no point in building it. Without Bonham's participation, there is no point in building it anyway. Now we're back to using the one you saw in the ad. It would have been impossible to get people to go look at the place at the end of Elm Street, even if they could have gotten inside to see (and smell) it. The pictures gave people the only "tour" they are likely to ever get. Now that you know..... what's next?
Bonham Watcher

Sherman, TX

#83 Feb 12, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
What do all the people in the county do now for their stray loveable pets?
Ward likes to rip on Bonham, where is the county shelter at? Where are all the other town's current shelters?
Ward, do you even live in Bonham? You sure do like to stick your nose in Bonham politics, I am hoping you pay your fair share of property taxes!
Like I've said before, your animal committee should focus on gettin these great pet owners to take better care of their animals.
You've got $220K, put a building up and get going with it!
No, Pat Ward lives in Ivanhoe.
FanninCounty

Ector, TX

#84 Feb 12, 2010
Could the existing building be improved? Air, heat, windows or possibly expanded upon, with any excess money put towards future operating cost?

And if things are as bad as Ms. Ward (and I believe they are) is it not possible to prosecute the city for neglect?
Anonymous

Sherman, TX

#85 Feb 12, 2010
LOL! Prosecute the city for neglect? That doesn't even make sense. How about prosecuting every town in the county for neglect for not even having a pound? You for that too?

How about prosecuting some of these pet owners? Heck, we can't even get a conviction around here for that idiot that drove around Bonham with his pitbulls in the back that ripped a lady and a little girl apart!!
Pollyanna

Sherman, TX

#86 Feb 12, 2010
Actually, it is entirely possible that a goverment run facility can be raided and found inhumane to animals and those responsible charged with cruelty,

It happened just a few months ago in Memphis

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/oct...

The condition of Bonham Animal Pound is probably a hundred times worse than the one in Memphis and they arrested 10 people there!

Times they are a changing!

By the way, other communities in Fannin County has been budgeting for the new shelter in their budget and Bonham has continued on it's path of keeping it's head in the sand and pretending it will all go away.

It is time for us to wake up and get rid of the Nightmare on Elm Street !
Pollyanna

Sherman, TX

#87 Feb 12, 2010
http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp...

Here is another raid on a city run animal shelter
in Clarksdale MS

And 2 people were indicted in the Memphis investigation so far.

Like I said before, the animal lovers have been patient for years because of the carrot dangling that there was going to be a County facility soon but if Bonham doesn't do it's part then that changes things. And there will be a lot of disgusted people who will make a ruckus to close down the Nightmare on Elm Street animal shed.

It will be a PR nightmare for the city of bonham and who knows who will be found responsible if the SPCA finds the conditions to be inhumane.
FanninCounty

Ector, TX

#88 Feb 12, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
LOL! Prosecute the city for neglect? That doesn't even make sense. How about prosecuting every town in the county for neglect for not even having a pound? You for that too?
How about prosecuting some of these pet owners? Heck, we can't even get a conviction around here for that idiot that drove around Bonham with his pitbulls in the back that ripped a lady and a little girl apart!!
If the city takes possesion of a animal regardless of the situation don't you agree it is at that time responsible for the animals well being? I don't know what the law is concerning standards for these types of facilities, but if our facility is mistreating animals they should be held accountable. Don't you agree?
City Chick

Dallas, TX

#89 Feb 12, 2010
I've stayed out of this, but I want to tell you that wanting to get that place shut down isn't new. The problem is that for the SPCA or anybody else to get into the place, they have to have a search warrant from a judge. And that would have to go through the chief of police who is the dog catcher's boss and buddy, or the Sheriff who won't investigate animal cases when he has the proof in his face. Fat chance of that happening here. It's inhumane as you call it to even take a dog or cat out there and lock it up in the dark and cold until time to kill it. That might be the longest 72 hours of its life.
lady with a heart

Sherman, TX

#90 Feb 12, 2010
City Chick, I know you are exactly right, It's impossible to even get into the place! The people you mentioned are responsible but the guys, or whatever you call them who are above the police, etc. are involved in the coverup of what's really going on here also. It's like a horror story, a scary movie you would see on TV, one you would think would have to at least be fiction, to even imagine what really is going on at the so called shelter! Yet is goes on and on, doesn't it make you wonder how such a horrible thing could just go on forever and ever. It apparently pays to watch your back in this town.
lady with a heart

Sherman, TX

#91 Feb 12, 2010
Pat Ward, thank you and hang in there, I think something is about to happen, too many people are really aware of the horrible shelter and what goes on there. People are not going to stand for this any longer. You know yourself that people are more than mad and fed up.
City Chick

Dallas, TX

#92 Feb 12, 2010
Pollyanna wrote:
By the way, other communities in Fannin County has been budgeting for the new shelter in their budget and Bonham has continued on it's path of keeping it's head in the sand and pretending it will all go away.
It is time for us to wake up and get rid of the Nightmare on Elm Street !
Maybe whats in the ad is right where it says something about ask them to admit they never meant to see a new place built in the first place. Maybe that's why they didn't budget for it. Just stringing people along. When was their last election? More imporant, when is the next one?
Pat Ward

Dallas, TX

#93 Feb 12, 2010
FanninCounty wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what the law is concerning standards for these types of facilities, but if our facility is mistreating animals they should be held accountable. Don't you agree?
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/disease/rabi... is the web link to the laws. It is a .pdf document. Go to page 4 and read Part 169.26 Facilities.
Pat Ward

Dallas, TX

#94 Feb 12, 2010
This is from TEXAS PENAL CODE
TITLE 9. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND DECENCY
CHAPTER 42. DISORDERLY CONDUCT AND RELATED OFFENSES

821.002. Treatment of Impounded Animals
(a) A person who impounds or causes the impoundment of an animal under state law or municipal ordinance shall supply the animal with sufficient wholesome food and water during its confinement.

(b) If an animal impounded under Subsection (a) continues to be without necessary food and water for more than 12 successive hours, any person may enter the pound or corral as often as necessary to supply the animal with necessary food and water. That person may recover the reasonable cost of the food and water from the owner of the animal. The animal is not exempt from levy and sale on execution of a judgment issued to recover those costs.

821.004. Knowledge or Acts of Corporate Agent or Employee
The knowledge and acts of an agent or employee of a corporation in regard to an animal transported, owned, or used by or in the custody of the corporation are the knowledge and acts of the corporation.

821.021. Definition
In this subchapter, "cruelly treated" includes tortured, seriously overworked, unreasonably abandoned, unreasonably deprived of necessary food, care, or shelter, cruelly confined, or caused to fight with another animal.
Anonymous

Sherman, TX

#95 Feb 13, 2010
I'm all for not even having a pound, be like all the other towns in the county and you won't have people griping about something else in our town. Ward continually gripes about Bonham, yet the other towns don't even have one and they aren't attacked.

We should focus more on taking care of the people and their needs first in our area, then worry about animals.
City Chick

Dallas, TX

#96 Feb 13, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
I'm all for not even having a pound, be like all the other towns in the county and you won't have people griping about something else in our town. Ward continually gripes about Bonham, yet the other towns don't even have one and they aren't attacked.
We should focus more on taking care of the people and their needs first in our area, then worry about animals.
Leonard has a pound about the size of the one in Bonham. Their city is willing to pay more than $3 to get the new shelter built and operating. Honey Grove has to take them to Dr. Witcher if he has room for them and who has been trying for years to retire. Honey Grove is willing to pay more, too. The other towns have to pay the Bonham dog catcher to come pick them up. None of the other towns wants to have to take animals to the one in Bonham. Maybe the real issue is not the building as much as it is how animals are treated in the one in Bonham. That's not likely to change unless there is a new shelter run by somebody other than Bonham.
Pollyanna

Sherman, TX

#97 Feb 13, 2010
Animal Control is part of the infrastructure of a community. There are safety issues including rabies, aggressive dogs, traffic safety, cruelty investigations, etc. Then there are the lost pets, the strays, the abandoned animals, the feral animals on the loose. It is a terrible thing that so many unwanted, mistreated, abandoned animals are in our community and if I had my way those who do that to them would be tied in a public stocks on the town square BUT they don't get caught and they don't get prosecuted unless there is a blue moon shining on an obvious situation and public officials are supported by the Metroplex SPCA.

So what do we do with all the animals that are mistreated and forgotten by people? What do we do as a community?

We catch them. We try to find homes for those that we can within money and space and time. Then those who are not found homes for or reclaimed are put down, killed, to make room for the next batch. It is a sad horrible thing. But what we are fighting for is a place that does address the problem and provides a place where the animals have a chance! There are no chances in the Bonham Nightmare on Elm Street animal shed and it is an unacceptable set up in todays laws and viewpoints.

Take a look at Sherman's animal shelter even online and you will see that they upload as many of the adoptable animals as possible on PetFinders.com .
http://www.cityofsherman.org/animal_dept.asp

If that seems like a revolutionary concept that the city run animal shelter is aggressively trying to adopt out some animals instead of putting them all down.. then my gawd, we are in the dark ages here.

And it is time to shine a bright light on the situation and let the rats retreat away and a new day shine on Fannin County.( There really is a big rat problem at the Elm Street pound with rats eating the dog food.)

If you want to see something truly amazing take a look at the brand new Tri-City Shelter for Duncanville, Cedar Hill,
http://ci.cedarhill.tx.us/index.aspx...

There are already at least two different donation possibilities that people can donate to the Fannin County Animal Shelter Funds right now.

1) There is the actual Fannin County fund. You can call the county treasurer and they will tell you how to donate to it. I believe Richard Glaser put in the first $100 into the account. What the balance is today I don't know.

2) There is Friends of Fannin County Critters - They have pledged to match every dollar donated to them for the animal shelter with their own funds.

If Bonham just got on board then there would be the green light and people and organizations could fund raised for an actual shelter and not just a pie in the sky concept
There is a difference. But what it feels like is that Bonham City Council will stall and posture while doing this passive aggressive stance of they want to change but .... yada yada and more YADA until we are FED UP. Or at least, I am FED UP, and the question is ... Are You FED UP? What do we do about it?

People, the community of people, can fundraise our butts off if there was a commitment from the government entities that there is going to be a new shelter.
Pollyanna

Sherman, TX

#98 Feb 13, 2010
HMmmmm Correction, I don't actually know for sure if Critter Friends will match every dollar or if it is just within limits of a certain amount or if they are still doing that? I will have to find out details.

Anyway, there has been a ton of fundraising ideas discussed by different groups, committies, individuals but they need to have a committment from Fannin County. It has always been discussed that if the county would build the building that their would be fundraisng and donations to help or completely pay for the kennels and cages.

It may seem like a crazy idea but we have reached a day when animal control has to be done humanely.

Back in the day, in the 60's they dealt with stray cats by throwing them in with the dogs. I knew boys who helped the then animal control guy do it. It was there saturday fun.

Now we lock those cats up with loud scared barking dogs just 3 feet away. Maybe those cats are killed with lethal injection now but they are terrified up to that moment.

Yeah, I am Fed Up! and I am amazed by those who turn aside and stick their head in the sand.

We can DO THIS TOGETHER! We Can Make it HAPPEN!

There is no better medium than the internet to get a grassroots momement going that can make a difference. Either way, if Bonham comes on board then or our energy goes to fundraising for the new Fannin County Animal Shelter or our energy goes into shutting down the Nightmare on Elm Street and then Bonham City Council will have a new nightmare on it's doorstep.

TxRose

Whitewright, TX

#99 Feb 13, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
So you think any and all abandoned and lost animals should just be allowed to roam the streets of Bonham? Normally gentle animals can turn vicious when they are scared, starving, hurt, lost and confused. And there are times when even the pets of responsible owners "get loose" ...idiot meter reader, little kid next door...etc. We need the new shelter, no ...let me re-phrase that...we need a SHELTER, not a DOG POUND...for the protection of the residents of Bonham and Fannin County, as much as for the well-being of the animals! Is " Anonymous " Mr. Taylor...who should be in jail?????????? The term "dog catcher" doesn't really fit either.... "Pet Killer"is more accurate.
Pollyanna

Sherman, TX

#100 Feb 13, 2010
I would like to say that the conditions at the Nightmare on Elm Street Bonham Pound is horrible and it is inhumane and it is unacceptable.

I would also like to mention that a lot of people don't like the Animal Control Officer but Jimmy Gilbert has no control over resources or the situation. I believe that Jimmy Gilbert would be a good animal control officer if the infrastructure was set up to allow him to do better. The guy has put up with a lot for a very little and he wants it to be better too. It isn't up to him. It really is up to Chief Mike Bankston and the Bonham City Council and ultimately the tax paying residents of Bonham.

Possibility that Jimmy Gilbert may not survive the taint of the Nightmare on Elm Street but I believe the guy can step up when given the tools and resources to make it better. Of course, he may not survive the new day and bright light of scrutiny either. It is what it is but I wanted to put my two cents in for some empathy for a guy who has a more than difficult job in the best of times and situation.

Either way, Bonham PD uses Jimmy Gilbert to do everything and anything that needs to be done that no one else wants to do. The city of Bonham doesn't actually have a full time animal control officer because he does a dozen other things for the BPD. The city uses that fact as one of the reasons it can't really give an accurate accounting of what animal control costs them annually.

When you talk about taxes and the city and animal control ... The city should be spending more of the tax dollars on animal control and shelter. You can't even get an answer out of the city in regards to how much it spends on animal control. They say "it's complicated" You also can't get the city to say how many animals it puts down on an average month but the last estimated figure I heard was about 50 or so. COnsidering the size of the kennels you can do the math of how many animals packed in each kennel. It's bad folks

The city of bonham hasn't spent what it should of been spending all along to bring the animal pound up the the word shelter and up to the current Texas State Health Codes for Animal Shelters. It should be better and it is going to be better because it can not continue as it is currently. It just can not. Period! It can not continue operating as it has been allowed to up to now. Period.

Times... they are a changing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bonham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Laundry mat in across the street from pizza hut 1 hr Tank town 5
Bonham coach 1 hr Bob 29
Handicap 2 hr onionslice 6
shar 6 hr Dr Phil 2
water Bill 20 hr Pay Customer 8
Chicken Excrement Fri Sweet Greggo the ... 3
Rolando's moving? Fri Cruz Paul 2016 9
Bonham Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web