New hotel and shopping complex announced for Bonham

Posted in the Bonham Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
interesting

Sherman, TX

#1 Apr 10, 2012
http://www.ntxe-news.com/artman/publish/artic...

From this article on eNews:
"Here was the central issue: Should the City of Bonham give up seven acres of land in exchange for a project that investors believe will generate more than $3.5 million in revenue for the city over the next 10 years -- not including property tax and school taxes -- in addition to creating 138 jobs and contributing an estimated $100,000 annually to Bonham ISD in school tax.

As has become the norm, it was a heated debate that resulted in a 4-3 vote in favor of the project. Mayor Roy Floyd voted in favor of the development, as did Bonham City Council members Wayne Moore, Glenn Taylor and H. Compton.

Council members Ruth Ann Thomas, Michael Evans and John Burnett cast the three opposing votes."

Wonder why Thomas, Evans and Burnett voted against adding jobs and city & school taxes? My kids heard about this proposed project at BHS. These investors were also talking about helping to move the softball field to be near the baseball field & helping to improve the side of BHS that faces 121. What's the downside to all of this development?
Let Slip the Dogs of War

Caddo Mills, TX

#2 Apr 10, 2012
Oh boy, just what Bonham needs, more fast food restaurants to class up the place and rich corporate executives to rape the community more. In a few years when the new is worn off, those buildings will be vacant eyesores, But hey, pavement covered ground is a sign that Bonham is "growing up" and becoming like a "realll rooting tooting big city yeehawww".

A perfect photo op for the locals to try to impress some of the local country hicks who are enamored with glitsy signs and cheap low quality freeze dried food and imported Chinese junk!

It all started with Wallyworld, where will it end? Oh yeah don't forget the new No-tell motel right by the high school! That should help with future school enrollment with all those horny high schoolers checking in for the afternoon!

Won't be long until DFW cesspool creeps in and we have big city taxes, liberals, pollution, and ghettos just like in those rap songs!

But don't forget, it's all in the name of "progress"!(The slogan of the elitist's - both political parties - propaganda)
voter

Bonham, TX

#3 Apr 10, 2012
Thomas, Evans and Burnett-what are they for? Anything? I find it interesting that they are against economic development but are for giving money to the chamber with no strings attached. Where are the news stories about the 750k of taxpayer money the chamber wasted and has no accounting for it? Can you imagine what a horror show the council would be with Lawrence on there?
go for it

Leonard, TX

#4 Apr 10, 2012
After YEARS of hotel talk, finally a plan seems to be coming together. However in true Bonham style, the fight has begun. After 10 years to agree on a dog pound, I see roadblock after roadblock preventing this development. It is no wonder we have no GCC campus, no bond passing, etc.,etc.,etc.. This community has way to much friction at the top to progress. Sad and dissappointing. But no surprise at all a near split vote!
REALLLLLLLLY

Sherman, TX

#5 Apr 10, 2012
Perhaps we should have all the facts in writing and not just take some out of town investors word before we give away a million dollars. I apppreciate Thomas, Evans and Burnett being cautious and protecting our property and tax dollars.
Election official

Sherman, TX

#6 Apr 10, 2012
This project sounds like a rush to judgement so pretty boy Floyd can get Glen reelected to the city council. Standard operating procedure: make the announcement, give away taxpaper and city property, get the publicity, then try to make the deal work, no matter if the taxpayers suffer!
Roger

Sherman, TX

#7 Apr 10, 2012
I knew soon as I saw the topic posted that there would be some griping from the usuals on here. Always griping about any and every thing, but never offer any original ideas or suggestions for progress in our town.
voter

Bonham, TX

#8 Apr 10, 2012
REALLLLLLLLY wrote:
Perhaps we should have all the facts in writing and not just take some out of town investors word before we give away a million dollars. I apppreciate Thomas, Evans and Burnett being cautious and protecting our property and tax dollars.
Uh, if Bonham doesn't get "out of town investors", then who will Bonham get to invest here? Isn't the point to attract "out of town investors"? BTW the three "anti's" and their backers are going all over town decrying the fact one of the investors is FOREIGN as in NOT WHITE. At least that's the word at the tire shop. I sure hope them robes and hoods aren't on too tight!

BTW we visited the water park these investors built in Roanoke last year, really nice. Wish we had one nearby.
Shadee

Sherman, TX

#9 Apr 10, 2012
Bonham needs a hotel, I agree. However, I don't know that we need it in the driveway of the high school parking lot. There are much more appropriate places for a hotel. A hotel should be where there is highway traffic.... the traffic up and down that little strip of 121 is mostly local, just school and WalMart traffic.It's not your tourist traffic. A hotel should be highly visible to travelerls and it should be where trucks and campers and boats can easily pull in and out.
You can't blame the investors for choosing this particular property, though...the price is right, after all! Hard to beat "free"! I am reading the article corretly? The city is GIVING the investors the land? If not, please correct me.
But do we need more retail space? You have to question the wisdom (or the truthfulness) of investors who say they will build a retail strip there. The newest retail stips in town (as well as most of the old space) sits empty most of the time....some of it has never had anything in it. The two retail stips next to WalMart (essentially across the highway from the new proposed one) are mostly empty, another nice little strip on W. Sam Rayburn has never been fully occupied. And then there's the square, of course...
Diane

Sherman, TX

#10 Apr 10, 2012
Roger wrote:
I knew soon as I saw the topic posted that there would be some griping from the usuals on here. Always griping about any and every thing, but never offer any original ideas or suggestions for progress in our town.
Roger, what else would you expect from people that might have completed the 5th grade. And, now we support them! My only comment is, something is better than nothing, for your city of Bonham.
Martha

Sherman, TX

#11 Apr 10, 2012
I noticed the writeup stated, fast food and a restaurant. The down fall with ALL of Bonham's fast food like Subway is so dirty and the employees could care less. We stopped over there last weekend and went up to order and took one look at food and turned around and left. The food was scattered everywhere and mixed in with other containers of food. Want ever go back!.Anyway, if a new one opens up, they need strict rules for employees and staff.
Martha

Sherman, TX

#12 Apr 10, 2012
Martha wrote:
I noticed the writeup stated, fast food and a restaurant. The down fall with ALL of Bonham's fast food like Subway is so dirty and the employees could care less. We stopped over there last weekend and went up to order and took one look at food and turned around and left. The food was scattered everywhere and mixed in with other containers of food. Want ever go back!.Anyway, if a new one opens up, they need strict rules for employees and staff.
oops! hit enter twice!
wondering

Sherman, TX

#13 Apr 10, 2012
Shadee wrote:
Bonham needs a hotel, I agree. However, I don't know that we need it in the driveway of the high school parking lot. There are much more appropriate places for a hotel. A hotel should be where there is highway traffic.... the traffic up and down that little strip of 121 is mostly local, just school and WalMart traffic.It's not your tourist traffic. A hotel should be highly visible to travelerls and it should be where trucks and campers and boats can easily pull in and out.
You can't blame the investors for choosing this particular property, though...the price is right, after all! Hard to beat "free"! I am reading the article corretly? The city is GIVING the investors the land? If not, please correct me.
But do we need more retail space? You have to question the wisdom (or the truthfulness) of investors who say they will build a retail strip there. The newest retail stips in town (as well as most of the old space) sits empty most of the time....some of it has never had anything in it. The two retail stips next to WalMart (essentially across the highway from the new proposed one) are mostly empty, another nice little strip on W. Sam Rayburn has never been fully occupied. And then there's the square, of course...
I don't think the city would be giving away the land for free. Although the way the article reads, it does seem that this could be the case. When Braum's took over the one softball field, they paid the city for the land.($180,000 if I remember right) So it seems to me this group would have to pay for the other softball field. The article later mentions that the city staff will sit down with investors to work out a myriad of details. Perhaps this action was just the initial step to say they would even be willing to sell and now they can begin negotiating a price and all the other details that will have to go along with it. But then again, maybe free land is part of the incentive package the city is offering?
I hate progress

Trenton, TX

#14 Apr 11, 2012
voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, if Bonham doesn't get "out of town investors", then who will Bonham get to invest here?...one of the investors is FOREIGN as in NOT WHITE.... I sure hope them robes and hoods aren't on too tight!.
too late, the oxygen has already been cut off, and the brain ossified. For most of the knee-jerk "negatives" around here, you scratch a millimeter and you see the real complexion of meanness, bigotry, and shameless self-serving.
Mo Betta

Ector, TX

#15 Apr 11, 2012
voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, if Bonham doesn't get "out of town investors", then who will Bonham get to invest here? Isn't the point to attract "out of town investors"? BTW the three "anti's" and their backers are going all over town decrying the fact one of the investors is FOREIGN as in NOT WHITE. At least that's the word at the tire shop. I sure hope them robes and hoods aren't on too tight!
BTW we visited the water park these investors built in Roanoke last year, really nice. Wish we had one nearby.
Mr. "Mo Cheezy" Peracha will have a new place for his burger joint and finally kick Mud Bones butt! LOL
He has a complex about the fact he looks foreign. He has claimed to more than one person his burger joint is not a success because he is not white. I have to admit I didn't think he swung enough weight to produce investors but good for him and us he apparently can do so. I like him and his wife except for the woe is me I'm not white B.S.
I hate progress

Trenton, TX

#16 Apr 11, 2012
Mo Betta wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. "Mo Cheezy" Peracha will have a new place for his burger joint and finally kick Mud Bones butt! LOL
He has a complex about the fact he looks foreign.
1. most likely the location is the issue. We had a few mishaps as food places in that location. If he could move out to 121 north of 56 and south of 82, that would be dynamite as his prices are the same as MB, but with fries and free internet.
2. yep, some of the knuckle draggers here on Toxic, and around town think that complexion affects their enjoyment. As for me, until it was pointed out (here in Toxic, natch) that he may be fur'n, I never noticed, or cared, or still care.(my motto: Green is the only color I can see.)
Shocked

Trenton, TX

#17 Apr 11, 2012
I'm surprised anyone wants to invest anything in Bonham. Honestly, it's not even an insult, it's simply a fact; why would you want to build anything here? The population is 10,000, the average income is horrible, the distance from DFW is so-so at best, it would be better to invest toward Trenton/Whitewright as you can still get good ole Fannin County tax rate will being closer to the city, where the money is. I'm sorry but Bonham isn't an investor's dream.
Martha

Sherman, TX

#18 Apr 11, 2012
We were in Bonham a couple weeks ago and stopped by MoCheezy and had a hamburger and really enjoyed it, very good. Also try one of their frito pies, excellent. Muddbones have good burger also. So, I have no problem trying to help both locations.
voter

Bonham, TX

#19 Apr 12, 2012
What does a hamburger shack have to do with a hotel? Only in Bonham.....
HAHAHA

United States

#20 Apr 12, 2012
I hope they dont waste one of the restaurant spots on Mo Cheezy, and lord help us if they open yet another mexican joint. Please dont move another restaurant we already have either, like Taco Bell/KFC. How about a new restaurant we don't already have, Jack in the Box, Panda Express, Chick Fil-A, something not primarily burgers and fries. I would go for an Applebees, Chilis, fridays, or Ruby Tuesday.

As for the retail, i hope they put in a decent western wear store, since woodards closed we haven't had one stick around very long. But i wonder who they are going after to fill the spaces? And again I hope they don't just move other retailers we already have, I can just see the dollar general getting a new spot on "the strip". But who would it be...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bonham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This is the Rubicon 4 hr Dr Phil 2
Bonham Mayor-Bonham should be proud!!!!! 5 hr Texoma Gaydar 4
wake up Bonham teachers 15 hr Bill 5
Mayor Roy Floyd 20 hr Texoma Gaydar 3
Holly Bounds 23 hr JT Fan 3
Holly Bounds Sat Johnny Holmes 4
Marvin beaty Sat Johnny Holmes 2
More from around the web

Bonham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE