bonham school supt. gets $6,500 raise

Posted in the Bonham Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rebel

Sulphur Springs, TX

#1 Jan 30, 2013
Bonham supt recently got two years added to his contract. This gives him 4 years. He was hired in at $130,000 and got a 5% raise to $136,500 and has only been here for 8 months. The morale of the district is terrible and they are cutting jobs to give him a raise. This guy will bankrupt the district and the bond package at Evans in already running over budget by $750,000. Cruse was making around $115,000 when he left. What is the board doing with the new supt? If you check, you will find he was run out of Troup ISD. I hope the board election brings some sensible people to run.
These facts are true. Check the public information with the school secretary.
wondering

Texarkana, TX

#2 Jan 30, 2013
What jobs have they cut? Last meeting they voted to give raises to some of the staff.
Rebel

Sulphur Springs, TX

#3 Jan 30, 2013
School nurse, assistant principal at Evans, 4 aides, reading teacher at Rather, one secretary,
2 coaches, curriculum director. Do you want me to go on. Bus drivers are now having to fill their own buses and check fluid and tire levels. Position was cut at bus barn.
What else do you want to know? Let me know and I will continue. Also, choir teacher was cut to part time. believe me I know.
warrior

Gober, TX

#4 Jan 30, 2013
The vp at Evans was not cut. Some of the coaches retired but the positions will be filled. That said if sup raise was not in contract upon hired I hate to see any sup get a raise with out the teachers receiving one
lots of changes

Texarkana, TX

#5 Jan 30, 2013
And I believe with some of the cut backs the clinic assistant at LHR is also now the library aid.......I wonder if she has her thermometer and puke bucket in the library or brings the books to the clinic?(Sarcasm)
Geezz

Leonard, TX

#6 Jan 30, 2013
Superintendents are wayyyyyy overpaid everywhere. A similar job in the private sector would make around $40,000-$50,000/year. Take the extra $100,000 and hire 2 more teachers, and still have enough left over to renovate 2-3 classrooms per year if necessary, or have better/more school supplies for teachers, etc, anything.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
wondering

Texarkana, TX

#7 Jan 30, 2013
What CEO of a company of a couple hundred workers makes only $40,000 to $50,000 a year? Sorry I think your reasoning is a bit off base.
Teacher

Lockhart, TX

#8 Jan 31, 2013
warrior wrote:
The vp at Evans was not cut. Some of the coaches retired but the positions will be filled. That said if sup raise was not in contract upon hired I hate to see any sup get a raise with out the teachers receiving one
Evans went from having their own assistant principal to sharing Mr. Eaton with Rather and DAEP.
Teacher

Lockhart, TX

#9 Jan 31, 2013
Is this where the profits from the new breakfast program are going?
Michael Williams

South West City, MO

#10 Jan 31, 2013
Has anyone talked to a schoolboard member or the Supt? Have you gone to a schoolboard meeting to actually find out the what, when, where or why? Or is spreading negativity and rumors a better way to communicate the facts?
joe

Lockhart, TX

#11 Jan 31, 2013
Gone to all meetings. Facts as stated are true.
joe

Lockhart, TX

#12 Jan 31, 2013
Facts are true according to board members.
Shadee

Texarkana, TX

#13 Jan 31, 2013
is there a website that covers school business and/or board meetings?
wondering

Texarkana, TX

#14 Jan 31, 2013
Yes, Bonham ISD website has whole section about the board and its meetings. Agendas, minutes and other info all posted there. My only complaint is sometimes the minutes are a bit vague or incomplete. For example, apparently there will be a new class required for all seniors beginning in the fall of 2013. It's called careers and colleges or something like that. Apparently all seniors have to take it, except for the exceptions discussed. But it doesn't tell you what exceptions were discussed. So I guess we are just going to rely on the memories of those who were at the meeting? And the rest of us are left wondering.
joe

Lockhart, TX

#15 Jan 31, 2013
Minutes of board are not transparent. They don't give
u details. Supt. Only wants u to know certain facts.
wondering

Texarkana, TX

#16 Jan 31, 2013
I agree that minutes are not transparent but I don't think I would jump to conclusion that Supt doesn't want people to know things. Minutes have been like this even when Cruse was here and he was always very open and forthcoming with info.
Concerned

Caddo Mills, TX

#17 Feb 4, 2013
Just wondering why the board did not want to give Cruse a raise prior to his leaving. The new Sup. received more starting out that Cruse was making after several years in the district; and now he's getting a raise. Also, the district may be saving money, but at what expense? People on here have complained about the quality of teachers in Bonham ISD. If you want better quality teachers, provide better compensation and teaching environments! Teacher's in the smaller Fannin County districts prepare their students for the same state testing and, on average, probably spend the same time preparing and teaching as Bonham ISD teachers, but these districts are considered educationally "superior" to Bonham ISD by pretty much everyone in the county. There is a reason: The classes are smaller (lower student to teacher ratio) and the teachers, for all practical purposes, receive higher pay. If we want to save money, then by all means Bonham ISD Admin., please do not fill vacant positions. Please make unqualified people do multiple jobs. Please combine positions that have nothing to do with one another. Please give raises to Administrative personnel and bypass the teachers who are the ones actually teaching kids (many of whom have Master's level degrees as well). Please make the community think that you are doing a great job because all teacher's will get a step raise this year (which every teacher in the state of Texas gets...regardless of how great or poor the administration does). I've lived here most of my 30-something years, and this is the most turbulent time among Bonham ISD staff that I can recall. And before anyone talks about how we're all a bunch of illiterate rednecks, please know that I have a Bachelor's Degree from one of the most prestigious colleges in the state. Im not ignorant. I do in fact have an education and common sense. If you want to have good educators come to this area, pay them! Give them smaller classes (which means more teachers, not less). Do not place more students in a class than the state recommends and then reprimand teachers for not educating them to state standards. I am not naive enough to think that more teachers and more pay can happen overnight in Fannin County. We are one of the poorest counties in the state. But I do question why teaching are not being filled for budgetary reasons but administrative positions are receiving raises and more positions have been created (I know...the curriculum director position is now combined into another position that really should have nothing to do with curriculum). Things will not get any better until we change leadership (possibly school board members and/or admin.) or until the current leadership has a change of heart. It is our job as citizens, taxpayers, and parents to let them know that we do not approve of the way things are being handled! We've let this happen, but we can make it better! Up to us!!!
info

Texarkana, TX

#18 Feb 4, 2013
I think Cruse declined any raises while he was here. When an organization is having financial cut backs and tough times, leaders sometimes do that because they want to inspire confidence that they are really trying and doing their part.
veteran

Texarkana, TX

#19 Feb 5, 2013
How much does a bus driver earn?
parent

Texarkana, TX

#20 Feb 5, 2013
Cruse got an 8% pay increase in 2010.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bonham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Huge turnover of teachers-Bonham 2 hr Stanke Hanke 3
Molly Helons 7 hr Anonymous 1
News New contractor will complete work on State High... (Sep '14) 20 hr Do Tell 8
Bonham administrators Jul 22 mcluvin 10
Worst coach bonham has ever had is the Question!!! (Jan '14) Jul 21 Anonymous 31
New lake Jul 18 boisdarc 21
Fire Tony Johnson Jul 17 Star 52

Bonham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bonham Mortgages