Waste of money
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Interested tax payer

Bonham, TX

#1 Mar 2, 2012
BONHAM ISD wastes so much money it is unbelievable.
Money is spent on way to many trips, athletic, field and uil activities. Coaches take athletic trips to far away places. They spend the night for tournaments, etc. They should play there games within a 40 mile radius or whatever. They should be limited to one game a week (non-disrict) and no tournaments. Money should be spent on instructional materials, teacher raises not administrators. Administrators are getting raises this year and Bonham had to lay off employees last year. We have way to many administrators. Our enrollment is lower than ever and we still have assistant principals on campuses. Classes at the high school have as many as 10 students or lower in some of them. A bond should not be passed until all of the waste is cut and then start to pass a bond. Taxpapyers need to wakeup. We are top heavy on administrators.
Also Interested

Mckinney, TX

#2 Mar 2, 2012
Interested tax payer wrote:
BONHAM ISD wastes so much money it is unbelievable.
Money is spent on way to many trips, athletic, field and uil activities. Coaches take athletic trips to far away places. They spend the night for tournaments, etc. They should play there games within a 40 mile radius or whatever. They should be limited to one game a week (non-disrict) and no tournaments. Money should be spent on instructional materials, teacher raises not administrators. Administrators are getting raises this year and Bonham had to lay off employees last year. We have way to many administrators. Our enrollment is lower than ever and we still have assistant principals on campuses. Classes at the high school have as many as 10 students or lower in some of them. A bond should not be passed until all of the waste is cut and then start to pass a bond. Taxpapyers need to wakeup. We are top heavy on administrators.
Are you announcing your plans to run for the board in order to utilize your problem solving skills? Show me the numbers with facts on your concerns. Please include the resources that you base your facts on.
Interested tax payer

Bonham, TX

#3 Mar 2, 2012
I am running for board and do have facts. I have first hand information.
fan

Texarkana, TX

#4 Mar 2, 2012
We host tennis and track events because we have the facilities to do so. Don't have the gym space to host our own volleyball or basketball tourneys so we have to travel elsewhere for these. Same goes for baseball and softball. When I suggested having more games at home to save travel costs I was told that often times folks don't want to travel here.
Larry P

Texarkana, TX

#5 Mar 2, 2012
Interested tax payer wrote:
BONHAM ISD wastes so much money it is unbelievable.
Money is spent on way to many trips, athletic, field and uil activities. Coaches take athletic trips to far away places. They spend the night for tournaments, etc. They should play there games within a 40 mile radius or whatever. They should be limited to one game a week (non-disrict) and no tournaments. Money should be spent on instructional materials, teacher raises not administrators. Administrators are getting raises this year and Bonham had to lay off employees last year. We have way to many administrators. Our enrollment is lower than ever and we still have assistant principals on campuses. Classes at the high school have as many as 10 students or lower in some of them. A bond should not be passed until all of the waste is cut and then start to pass a bond. Taxpapyers need to wakeup. We are top heavy on administrators.
I agree 100% with you. Look at city hall they have people there with titles that does not make sense. They could easily do away with atleast 6 high paying jobs and divided those duties up among the ones that does not even stay in their offices. If you will notice the water department will send 6 to 8 guys out to fix a water leak, with 3 or 4 standing and watching. But, all we can do is sit and gripe!!! until the next election.
laughing

Texarkana, TX

#6 Mar 2, 2012
high paying jobs at the city of Bonham?!?! LOL
citizen

Texarkana, TX

#7 Mar 2, 2012
Before you go 'running for board' perhaps you could first stop mutilating the english language.(it's TOO many trips, THEIR games, non-DISTRICT, TOO many administrators, 40 mile radius or whatever?) If you expect to be taken seriously you must be able to adequately express yourself by using proper grammar, spelling, and context in your syntax. Remember, you ARE talking about the board of EDUCATION. You must first give the impression that you understand the issues and have more than a 6th grade education....
Try again.
Interested tax payer wrote:
BONHAM ISD wastes so much money it is unbelievable.
Money is spent on way to many trips, athletic, field and uil activities. Coaches take athletic trips to far away places. They spend the night for tournaments, etc. They should play there games within a 40 mile radius or whatever. They should be limited to one game a week (non-disrict) and no tournaments. Money should be spent on instructional materials, teacher raises not administrators. Administrators are getting raises this year and Bonham had to lay off employees last year. We have way to many administrators. Our enrollment is lower than ever and we still have assistant principals on campuses. Classes at the high school have as many as 10 students or lower in some of them. A bond should not be passed until all of the waste is cut and then start to pass a bond. Taxpapyers need to wakeup. We are top heavy on administrators.
fan

Texarkana, AR

#8 Mar 3, 2012
fan wrote:
We host tennis and track events because we have the facilities to do so. Don't have the gym space to host our own volleyball or basketball tourneys so we have to travel elsewhere for these. Same goes for baseball and softball. When I suggested having more games at home to save travel costs I was told that often times folks don't want to travel here.


Whoops - just found out we are hosting a softball tourney today and the last few days. Wonder how much the restaurants, gas stations, etc are benefiting from it too? Same goes for the city in the form of sales taxes.

I read that when Leonard hosted a basketball tourney over last Christmas break, they took in about $14,000 and had about $10,000 in expenses which left the school with about a $4,000 profit. That money could buy lots of uniforms or sports equipment. Of course, these figures don't include the money taken in by local restaurants, gas stations, sales taxes, etc in Leonard.
Money

Texarkana, TX

#9 Mar 4, 2012
You need to shut your mouth. The people with all of the education is the reason this town has nothing now.I know who your are and most of the people in your family are not very smart, as a matter of fact most are a bunch of DUMBA--s.The people of this town that vote no for a school bond are the smart ones.Why are you so worried about passing the bond you have made it this far with out it,and so will your kids and grandkids. NO TO THE BOND, NOW AND FOREVER ARE UNTIL YOUR KIND ARE GONE FROM THIS TOWN.
citizen

Texarkana, TX

#10 Mar 4, 2012
OMFG!! You make Jethro Bodine look & sound like a rocket scientist! This town has nothing because there are too many people like YOU! That, and the people we elect as leaders are not altruistic.(you'll have to look that one up)-can't wait for all of you to go the way of the Dodo....
The young people, and the undereducated/underemployed, and the unemployed don't need a handout, they need a hand UP! You & the rest of the morons that declined to be a part of the Grayson college district, and continue to turn down bonds, are essentially telling the above mentioned groups that they are not worth it. Just because you gave up on your life, that doesn't mean we should give up on the people that want more out of life! Sitting around on your ass collecting welfare, being fat, drunk & stupid is not a positive representation of Fannin county. Get with the program or get the hell out.
BTW: No, you don't know me or my family, which includes 7 college graduates in 3 generations; 2 Dr's, 2 RN's, 1 military pharmacist, and 2 state licensed trade professionals.
Money wrote:
You need to shut your mouth. The people with all of the education is the reason this town has nothing now.I know who your are and most of the people in your family are not very smart, as a matter of fact most are a bunch of DUMBA--s.The people of this town that vote no for a school bond are the smart ones.Why are you so worried about passing the bond you have made it this far with out it,and so will your kids and grandkids. NO TO THE BOND, NOW AND FOREVER ARE UNTIL YOUR KIND ARE GONE FROM THIS TOWN.
Agree

Emory, TX

#11 Mar 5, 2012
citizen wrote:
<quoted text>OMFG!! You make Jethro Bodine look & sound like a rocket scientist! This town has nothing because there are too many people like YOU! That, and the people we elect as leaders are not altruistic.(you'll have to look that one up)-can't wait for all of you to go the way of the Dodo....
The young people, and the undereducated/underemployed, and the unemployed don't need a handout, they need a hand UP! You & the rest of the morons that declined to be a part of the Grayson college district, and continue to turn down bonds, are essentially telling the above mentioned groups that they are not worth it. Just because you gave up on your life, that doesn't mean we should give up on the people that want more out of life! Sitting around on your ass collecting welfare, being fat, drunk & stupid is not a positive representation of Fannin county. Get with the program or get the hell out.
BTW: No, you don't know me or my family, which includes 7 college graduates in 3 generations; 2 Dr's, 2 RN's, 1 military pharmacist, and 2 state licensed trade professionals.
Now, you know all that math at the end of your statement is going to confuse the poor person that your addressing.

But, you are spot on with your comment!
allis

Emory, TX

#12 Mar 6, 2012
Noap, I dont nead no ejucashun, and you dnot neether.well deefeet this here bond elecshun-we gots mr macqueen and mr terner to kill it. i dont werry nun, thay will stop all the big idees. we dont wont no skools, no tranes, no caleges. them taxes on the single wide momma left me ar hi enuf and my relief chek wont cover no mor and stil let me go acros the river to choktow
Money

Texarkana, TX

#13 Mar 6, 2012
Is that it? WE have been lied to again about the bond first it was 6 million now $7,662,656 next it will be 10 million. No no no to the bond and the lies.
listens to birds

Carrollton, TX

#14 Mar 6, 2012
Sorry you feel this way Money. Sadly, yes, the amount will need to increase as Bonham was unable to lock in last years prices per the first bond. Also, we missed out on the package deal to improve ALL of the schools in the district.

I will vote YES! Because I want to stay in Bonham. I want OTHER good families to stay in Bonham. I hope there are more of the YES, I want to live in Bonham folks out there!!!
told ya so

Azle, TX

#15 Mar 6, 2012
Yes, the cost to fix Evans has gone up as the Yes voters predicted. Costs of materials have gone up since the last bond elections. Also, by doing only Evans as so many folks asked for, what we have found is we lost some economies of scale. That is, when Evans was part of a bigger package, we could save some money buying in bulk, sharing some costs between projects, etc. Now that it's a stand alone project it's going to cost more.
parentof2

Whitewright, TX

#16 Mar 6, 2012
If you question the amount being spent, GO to a School Board meeting. While you are at it visit Evans. Then make a decision. Don't make your decision based on a blog and other people's opinion. Get the facts for yourself and make your own judgement. It is a sad state and yes the maintence men are doing all they can. You can on put so much make-up (paint) and repair to a building and then you have to start over...
Money

Texarkana, TX

#17 Mar 7, 2012
It will not cost more,just say no.
Money

Texarkana, TX

#18 Mar 7, 2012
I did not question the amount of money. The paper said the board was going to spend $ 80.00 a ft. not $ 70.00 for better cabinets.Maybe when you attend the meetings you should listen to what is being said. Are maybe what you say is true and the paper is not telling the truth. But I will not be attending any of the meetings. I can read the lies on hear are in the paper,because someone is not telling the truth. No to the bond.
confused

Texarkana, AR

#19 Mar 7, 2012
what lies are you talking about?
explaining

Texarkana, AR

#20 Mar 7, 2012
When Pogue (construction) and Huckabee (architect) reps were talking to the board, explaining the difference between the cost of $70 a sq ft or $80 a sq ft for the renovations, the difference would be seen in the number and quality of the cabinets as well as the quality and amount of other finishes too. They talked about the $70 price having to force hard decisions such as what walls not to paint, what parts of the ceiling might stay as is, what tiles might be left alone, etc.

During the last bond, Huckabee estimated it would cost $6 million to renovate Evans. So as the board was working thru this process since the last bond election,$6 million was the number discussed. On March 1, Pogue (the newly hired construction company) released to the board estimates that it will now cost about $7.6 million to renovate and add on to Evans. Pogue and Huckabee explained that since the last bond election, material costs have gone up and we lost some "economies of scale" when we went from a larger project of BHS & Evans to a smaller project of just Evans. No one lied about the $6 million, its just that the cost went up while we were waiting and since we decided to do the project differently. The cost is what it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bonham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Taco Bell 4 hr CDC 9
Bonham School District Administration waste of ... 20 hr Samstown Comp 37
News Officials scale back search for missing Bonham ... Sat Homer Yeah 27
Fired Deputy Fri truth 34
Willow Wild Cemetery Sep 18 Cindy 16
Take down the Confederate monument in the Fanni... Sep 17 Roys Toupee 106
Kinfolk MC (Mar '17) Sep 15 Same Old Jokester 79

Bonham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bonham Mortgages