Officials question student exodus - S...

Officials question student exodus - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 16 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Aug 6, 2010, titled Officials question student exodus - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

School officials are interested in finding out why more than 200 students in Leominster choose to attend school outside of the city each year, costing the district more than $1 million in local aid.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

parent

Leominster, MA

#1 Aug 6, 2010
One of the reasons is that students who come to school to learn and who do the right thing are pushed aside while teachers and administrators deal with students and parents who could care less.
Been here too long

Windham, NH

#2 Aug 6, 2010
Look around Lemontown. That's why they choice out! Parents want there kids to get the heck out and live a better life.

The next fact, the Mayor hasn't made education a priority. His priority is to hoard excess tax payer money. In the long run, we see that that actually cost us money from the state.
Cobb

Leominster, MA

#3 Aug 6, 2010
The exodus will increase when school starts and parents find out how many kids are in each classroom.
Been There Done That

Ashland, MA

#4 Aug 6, 2010
Love this article. Why to leave the school system? We left last year due to a terrible experience freshman year at the high school. Bullying issues not solved, classes which were very unchallenging and school guidance which refused to put our child into classes which would challenge her. In algebra she was told to listen to her ipod when she finished the ten problem worksheet given to her each day. A meeting was set up with the guidance councilor and headmaster to discuss sophomore year classes and when the day arrived the headmaster had better things to do. Favoritism also runs rampid at LHS and if you are not one of the five favorites in theatre, band or any other activitiy you are placed on the back burner or constantly harrassed by the band director. We school choiced to Quabbin last year and made up for the lost time spent in Freshman year at LHS. With the block scheduling my daughter will be able to actually go out on internship the second half of her senior year to explore her career choice before entereing college. Last year she completed two math classes and this year she is taking two science classes which will leave only two required classes for senior year (history and english). No bullying issues encountered all year and she enjoyed the Drama Club and made Varsity Cheering. The decision to school choice out to Quabbin was the best thing we have ever done for our daughter. Can't wait to see what junior year has in store at Quabbin with the leadership program she was invited to join! After only 9 months she was noticed in the QRSD system and she never had any great opportunities in Leominster after 10 years (k-9).These are just a few of the reasons to leave Leominster Public Schools and we are extremely happy we did before it was too late.
Townie

Plymouth, MA

#5 Aug 6, 2010
We are not at the HS level yet so hard to say what our decision will be. Right now, being part of the LEAP program, is a great experience for our child and for us.
mom

Leominster, MA

#6 Aug 6, 2010
School officials shouldn't ask questions they don't want the answers to. Furthermore if the mayor, who has shown the schools are not a priority to him or who lacks any moral compass, is the head of the shool committee, why would I want my children in the system ?
Former LHS Parent

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Aug 6, 2010
I took mine out last year because this school has teachers who think they are GOD and Heaven forbid - they should ever be wrong. The teachers are clicky and have favorites and fairness and equality are SEVERELY over looked.
Send a survey to every parent who pulled their kids out and ASK THEM WHY.

Even when we tried to go to the hire ups, we were told they had to go by what they were told.

More and more people are going to be leaving the district. Better examine the staff - especially at High School range.

It is about time someone realizes there is a problem here.
fed up

Leominster, MA

#8 Aug 6, 2010
the reason my three children left was the enormous class sizes in the freshman class. As if transitioning from a smaller middle school with small class sizes and teachers who actually care to 30-35 children in a biology, math and english classes is quite a shock to these children. Nothing is done in the middle schools to help prepare them for this transition. Also to go from a school of 500 kids to 2000 kids is quite a culture shock. Also, as another poster stated, the teachers at the high school have a way that it is either their way or no way and if you go to the principal he states he can do nothing about it because it this their classroom and their rules. They treat all the children the same and if your child needs extra, god forbid, come after school where there are 20-30 kids also there because they didn't understand what the teacher was teaching. Most of the teachers there just put in the required contractual time and nothing more unless they receive a stipend for it. The high school needs to do a better job at transitioning from the middle school to the high school and hire more teachers for the freshman class to reduce class sizes because this is where you are losing your population. Parents don't like the idea that their child was and A=B student in middle school and is now a C=D student or lower because the staff and the administration doesn't care.
parent

Fitchburg, MA

#9 Aug 6, 2010
I move my kids out of the district because their teachers did not have the time or energy to give my kids attention. Instead, their teachers had to deal with kids that could not behave or were extremily low. LPS fully supports educating disabled, special needs students, and typical students together. As a result, the teacher has to deal with multiple issues while teaching. Moreover, most teachers do not get addiquate support or aid from administration. It is about the money: no money equals, no help. The good teachers at LPS are overwhelmed too often. Smaller communities seem to due better.
Former LHS Parent

Marlborough, MA

#10 Aug 6, 2010
And let us not forget the awful condition of LHS and the amount of students that have a sudden onset of respiratory issues shortly after arrival - that gets better in summer - and resolve themselves with in months after Graduation.
Leominster Resident

Worcester, MA

#11 Aug 6, 2010
If your concerned now what to the new 2010-2011 school year starts. I still think parents aren't aware of the great impact of the Lay-offs/Reduced employee hours.

Teachers, Aids, Custodians, Secretary's were laid off.

Classroom sizes increased

Basic supplies/maintanence like tissue won't be available.

Forseen issues that WILL increase will be, Bulling, low test scores, discipline, lack of communication.

If your worried about the numbers now, I'll bet by Christmas break the numbers will increase.
Speak up now parents, there offering to finally listen.
REoL

Worcester, MA

#12 Aug 6, 2010
Get rid of all the drug dealers, and you've got a safe school.
Add guns and pipe bombs, you'd have FHS.
resident

AOL

#13 Aug 6, 2010
By some of the spelling and grammar of the parent posts, it makes it hard to believe that it might actually be our school system that is the problem.
Leominster Resident

Worcester, MA

#14 Aug 6, 2010
resident wrote:
By some of the spelling and grammar of the parent posts, it makes it hard to believe that it might actually be our school system that is the problem.
OMG that's all you got out of this, is typo's. I'm sure misspelling isn't done intentionaly.

I'd rather read about the issues as to "why" (you know REAL ISSUES)then sit there and be judgmental about typo's.
Jabberwocky

Leominster, MA

#15 Aug 7, 2010
Alrighty then, this is all the confirmation that I need to keep sending my kids to private school.

I heard that there's a tension @ LHS between two groups. Not nerds vs. jocks ... its bloods vs. crips.

Go out the wrong door at the HS and you take your own life into your hands. That's what a coworker told me. Her son was scared there.

Sounds like more cutbacks are needed.$46 mil for a high school. What a joke.
believer

AOL

#16 Aug 8, 2010
If his highness the almighty mayor made education any kind of priority, then maybe there would not be as many educational issues within the system. However, since he refused to give a single penny of "his" slush fund, to help out with supplies, or other needs in the academic forum, he showed where he stands on the future of Leominster education. The bottom line is he couldn't care less.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bolton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Drug Charges Follow ATF Raid (Sep '12) Jan 9 Alwinn 8
News Paul J. McCarthy, 86, of Marlborough Jan 6 cindy lou 1
News Bolton call firefighter charged in Lancaster, M... (May '15) Oct '17 Peaches 12
Cousin is 13 and I'm 15 and I wanna have sex wi... (Jan '15) Oct '17 Mitch 6
News Solar power microgrid goes online in Cuttyhunk ... Aug '17 Solarman 1
News Police arrest log (Dec '10) Jul '17 nick 10
The Fireplace room welcomes back DAN KIROUAC in... (Feb '17) Feb '17 New England Music... 1

Bolton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bolton Mortgages