Is the STATE of Idaho Whitewashing Tom Luna's Bio?

Sep 3, 2012 | Posted by: SeeRayRun | Full story: www.dailykos.com

TRANSLATION: The Communications Director for the Idaho State Department of Education, Mellissa McGrath, is spending a lot of time, a whole lot of time, trying to clean up Wikipedia as it relates to Tom Luna.

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Sep 3, 2012

“Absolutely”

Since: Feb 09

Spread around the west

#1 Sep 3, 2012
RealityChecker

Mccomb, MS

#2 Sep 3, 2012
I don't see the issue. Is she posting information to Wikipedia that is false, or taking down information that is false. Looks to me like she is simply being proactive, and doing her job. It doesn't look like she's hiding anything, or doing something wrong.

“Absolutely”

Since: Feb 09

Spread around the west

#3 Sep 3, 2012
It ought to be interesting to see what happens when the media goes through the data and compares things.
RealityChecker

Mccomb, MS

#4 Sep 3, 2012
RealityChecker wrote:
I don't see the issue. Is she posting information to Wikipedia that is false, or taking down information that is false. Looks to me like she is simply being proactive, and doing her job. It doesn't look like she's hiding anything, or doing something wrong.
Read the Wiki thread here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Meli...
Idaho Teacher

Meridian, ID

#5 Sep 3, 2012
Form reading the edit history, it does not appear that she is correcting information, but campaigning. That is not her job.
Idaho Teacher

Meridian, ID

#6 Sep 3, 2012
Form = "from"
Idaho Teacher

Meridian, ID

#7 Sep 3, 2012
And note how many of her "corrections" were not accepted by Wikipedia.
slfisher

Boise, ID

#8 Sep 3, 2012
RealityChecker wrote:
#1. Wikipedia frowns on people writing their own bios, or having people connected to them writing their bios.

#2. If information in one's bio is incorrect, the proper response is to write to Wikipedia and call this to their attention.

#3. When one makes changes, one is supposed to put in references and citations noting the source. This was not done.

#4. If you look at the changes, some of them go beyond correcting errors, such as removing the fact that Luna obtained his degree in Weights and Measures from an online institution. Others are...overly posutive, rather than factual.

#5. If you look at Ms. McGrath's page, you can see her arguing with a bot as though she thinks she's talking to an actual person.

#6. While Tom Luna is not running for office, which would be a clear violation, the legality of a State worker on State time contributing to a political campaign (Yes on 1 2 3) is...sketchy. It is certainly true that this is a fuzzy line that is crossed by many Idaho politicians, but at least they're elected. She is not.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boise Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
When does law Enforcement become a tyranny 10 hr TheRealZeke 4
anyone need black Aug 29 TheRealZeke 6
Child Rapist living in Nampa. (Jun '08) Aug 22 chomo G 6
What's Going On At Ebay Making So Many Sellers ... (May '13) Aug 21 NetWatch 25
southwest airlines airplane hovering in mid-air?? (Sep '12) Aug 20 TheRealZeke 42
Are Californians The Root Of Idaho's Evils? (May '06) Aug 17 rob in cal 3,105
Signs of spiritual balance Aug 15 guest 6
•••
•••
Boise Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Boise Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••