Did a man die winning a roach eating ...

Did a man die winning a roach eating contest at Ben Siegel's Reptiles?

Posted in the Boca Raton Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1 Oct 7, 2012
I left before this contest finished, but rumor has it that a man DIED after eating a radical amount of discoid roaches in a bug eating contest Friday night, October 5th, at Ben Siegel's Reptiles in Deerfield Beach, FL. There's a link to a video below of the contest winner. This was a highly publicized event, and live webstreams were done via UStream, along with dozens of people using personal video cameras/phones to record the event. There is NOTHING about the contest or it's winners on Ben Siegel's website or Facebook page, and this seems highly suspicious. Here's a video of the craziness of the event.

My concern is, this is not the first bug eating contest ever done, and I've been to other eating contests. There are ALWAYS emergency personnel standing by, and most communities see it as a PR opp for EMS to be on the scene, in case something goes wrong. The first thing I noticed, was the absence of such personnel. I understand that waivers were signed, but surely one has a reasonable expectation of safety when going out. I understand that none of the participants were "forced" to do this. I also understand that everyone was very aware of the possibility of massive vomiting, and event staff even joked about the potential copious vomiting to expect, hence the giant buckets reserved purely for such instances.
ANYTIME a person vomits, there is a risk of aspiration(Vomit entering lungs). This is allegedly how the "winner" of the contest passed away. If this is what happened, it's a tragic lesson to be learned. But equally tragic, is how business continued at Ben Siegel's the following day, as if completely oblivious to it. No mention of anything related to the contest or death in the papers, on the news, on the web, NOTHING. I posted the above video on Ben Siegel's Facebook page, and it was promptly removed. All questions regarding the "winners" of the contest are being ignored, or removed.
Can someone find out what the hell is going on please? Thanks.
TLF

Hollywood, FL

#2 Oct 7, 2012
The contest winner, Eddie Barry, is dead. And I think all of his friends and family would like answers to all of your questions as well. I'm thinking Bob Segeils should get some representation, and then answer them.

Location hidden

#3 Oct 7, 2012
Eddie Barry's family and friends, as well as anyone affected by this tragic event, are in my prayers.
Paula

Hollywood, FL

#5 Oct 7, 2012
This is very well written. I don't know who you are, but thank-you for your wise words.

Location hidden

#6 Oct 7, 2012
To All of Our Valued BSR Customers,

Thank you for participating in our Midnight Madness experience. Many of you have reached out to ask about the details surrounding Eddie Archbold's passing the night of the Midnight Madness sale, but at this point we are not aware of any specific details. All we know is that sadly he has passed on. Please respect the privacy of the family as they try to determine what happened. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Eddie's family in this terrible time. Although we just met Eddie the night of the sale, we all liked him right away. All of us here at Ben Siegel Reptiles are sad that we will not get to know Eddie better, for in the short time we knew him, he was very well liked by all.

As carefully spoken by a lawyer. My favorite part of that was "Please respect the privacy of the family as they try to determine what happened." Way to position yourself so if anyone asks reasonable questions, they aren't respecting the family's privacy. It's also on the family to determine what happened, because apparently no one at the event has any sense, again, as indicated by the absence of medical personnel. Do others that competed in the competition have anything to worry about?
rosemary

Miami, FL

#7 Oct 7, 2012
Ths is a tragic and that company need to give answers. My prayers go out to everyone who knew Eddie and i hope. That the questions that are asked will get some answer.
Anonymous

Lakeland, FL

#8 Oct 7, 2012
Eddie was a wonderful wonderful person, and extremely loved by all who knew him. We are devestated by this. We do want definitive answers as to exactly what went down, if not just for the sake of ensuring the safety of future contest participants at similar events. Thanks...
Danny

Hollywood, FL

#9 Oct 7, 2012
The place was a circus! It's people and events like this that bring every responsible reptile keeper in a negative light and one of the reasons our hobby may become banned one day! I was there when the police showed up and Ben looked like if he was going to crap himself! I doubt if that waiver will hold up in court and if I was the family of Eddie, I would be contacting a lawyer right about now! Maybe when this cost someone their business and left testicle, there will be some accountability!
Ame Marie R

New York, NY

#10 Oct 7, 2012
Just terrible.... prayers go out to the family...
Mike

Peoria, IL

#11 Oct 7, 2012
I can't view the video, it says "private". Is there anyway you can send me the video? Did the man die at the event or later after he left? The way BS posted on FB it makes it seem like they were unaware the guy died or how he died. I am shocked that no emergency staff were nearby in case of choking or sickness. Roaches are nearly impossible to kill and if you swallow them whole they could probably cause problems internally that would make you vomit as well. If he didn't chew them completely that is another possibility.
Sarah B

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#12 Oct 7, 2012
I made the video private because it didn't feel right to leave it up after hearing about Eddie's passing. Maybe if I receive something from his family saying they are okay with it, I will put it back up. I just want to be respectful of the departed and their loved ones. I feel terrible that this happened, and feel worse even having been a spectator, basically watching a man kill himself over a snake.

That being said, I don't think Ben Siegel's should be entirely to blame here. The contestants knew what they were getting into. Anyone who participated has a duty to research what they are about to do to their bodies and to know their limits. They put on an unbelievable event, it was well received and enjoyed. I can tell you I had a great time, and Eddie definitely contributed to that amazing time. I really had wanted to congratulate him but I didn't see him before I left.

I know there are a lot of emotions here, but please try to remember that we are all responsible for our own actions. I was an observer of the event, and I am herp hobbyist. It's true, things like this make the hobby look bad. But that's life. There will always be a few terrible tragedies that overshadow the better contributions we make.

Let's try to be respectful, as I am sure everyone involved, whether it be the family, friends, those who put on the event, or even bystanders, feel awful about this. I know I was extremely shocked to see the comment on my video.

My condolences to anyone who knew him, he seemed like a character for sure, and just watching him brought a lot of joy as well as a bit of cringing. But I certainly won't forget him, he made an impression in the little time I watched him.

Rest in peace, Eddie.
Mike

Peoria, IL

#13 Oct 7, 2012
Understood, Sarah. I guess it's only fair if you blame both parties. BS must provide a safe environment for this to take place (with emergency staff) and the people in the contest should be aware of the risks themselves. People will do anything for money (or snakes) and it's a matter of time until it happens again in some kind of eating contest.
Kathy Barry Heiser

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#14 Oct 7, 2012
Sarah,

Eddie was my brother. Can you please send me the link. My email is bkheiser@yahoo.com. Thank you.
Sarah B wrote:
I made the video private because it didn't feel right to leave it up after hearing about Eddie's passing. Maybe if I receive something from his family saying they are okay with it, I will put it back up. I just want to be respectful of the departed and their loved ones. I feel terrible that this happened, and feel worse even having been a spectator, basically watching a man kill himself over a snake.
That being said, I don't think Ben Siegel's should be entirely to blame here. The contestants knew what they were getting into. Anyone who participated has a duty to research what they are about to do to their bodies and to know their limits. They put on an unbelievable event, it was well received and enjoyed. I can tell you I had a great time, and Eddie definitely contributed to that amazing time. I really had wanted to congratulate him but I didn't see him before I left.
I know there are a lot of emotions here, but please try to remember that we are all responsible for our own actions. I was an observer of the event, and I am herp hobbyist. It's true, things like this make the hobby look bad. But that's life. There will always be a few terrible tragedies that overshadow the better contributions we make.
Let's try to be respectful, as I am sure everyone involved, whether it be the family, friends, those who put on the event, or even bystanders, feel awful about this. I know I was extremely shocked to see the comment on my video.
My condolences to anyone who knew him, he seemed like a character for sure, and just watching him brought a lot of joy as well as a bit of cringing. But I certainly won't forget him, he made an impression in the little time I watched him.
Rest in peace, Eddie.
Matthew Karwacki

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Oct 8, 2012
I too was a participant that evening. I competed side by side with Eddie. He was an amazing competitor and put on a great show for us all. When I found out I was shocked and devastated. No one there thought something so terrible would come to pass. We were all there for a great time, some laughs, and of course snakes. I didn't have the chance of knowing Eddie personally but with the few short words we did exchange, he was a very nice and personable individual. I don't feel right by placing blame on anyone. We all knew what we were getting ourselves into. I don't think it's fair for people to view the herp hobby in a negative light because of this event. Bug eating contests have happened for many many reasons, not just for free snakes. Everyone there was there for a great time. Enough said. Eddie was smiling and having a great time when we competed and spoke later. My prayers and thoughts go out to Eddie's loved ones and family. Eddie I hardly knew ye...may you rest in peace my friend. It was really fun competing with you.
Sarah B

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#16 Oct 8, 2012
I will agree that medical staff should be present at all types of events where there is the possibility of distress to a competitor. I don't know if they had any on call or if there were EMS in the crowd (often times there are EMS present at events, whether or not you see an EMS vehicle), but I certainly didn't see any sort of EMS vehicles on standby. I'm also not sure, but I assume competitors would have been informed on whether medical personnel would be on standby or not at the time when they signed their waivers.

Kathy, I have sent you an e-mail.
Elizabeth B

Hollywood, FL

#17 Oct 8, 2012
I was at the event that night too, with my kids & it was totally a fun event. I remember seeing Eddie. Who could miss him with his yellow tshirt? I left before the end of the contest & was so saddened to hear the tragic ending. I'm sure Ben Siegel & his wife feel horrible about this & would reach out to the family if they could. They seem like good people, what American small business is built on. And unfortunately because it is America, no doubt they have a gag order on them from their lawyers & I would think police as well until they figure out what happened.
Michael Pelham

Pompano Beach, FL

#18 Oct 8, 2012
What a horrible, horrible tragedy. My condolances to the family and friends. You hate to point fingers at a time like this, but I think it's pretty clear Ben Siegals is to blame in this. To encourage and promote eating live animals (and roaches no less? An insect that is widely and commonly known for it's hardiness?) is reckless on the part of an established reptile store that should have known better. The is a false sense of safety at events like these and that safety comes from the event hosts, who it's now very obvious to see put publicity above human safety. I for one will be taking my business elsewhere, and I would encourage those who respect the family and the industry to do the same.
Michael Pelham

Pompano Beach, FL

#19 Oct 8, 2012
It is absolutely tragic and horrible. My condolances to the family.

I think it's very obvious who is at fault, and yes, there is fault. To promote the human consumption of live animals is dangerous enough, but roaches? I am not an expert and even I know that that eating live roaches is extremely dangerous. They are incredibly hard to kill and unless you are designed to eat them (like oh say, a reptile would be) there is a high risk of having live roaches crawling around your stomach and intestines. Ben Siegel being an "expert" in this field should have known better. And then to not have proper emergency services on scene? I think it's another very obvious instance where publicity was put above human safety and this sad loss is the outcome.

I for one will be taking my business elsewhere and I hope others out of respect for the family and the industry will do the same. As is often the case with our justice system, I doubt Ben Siegels will pay in court for this atrosity, but we can make it hurt in the pocket.

I for one hope the family does pursue legal action. This type of negligence needs to be made an example of so others can learn. And it's tragic that there is an obvious cover up going on. Someone needs to alert the media at once.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Michael Pelham

Pompano Beach, FL

#20 Oct 8, 2012
I'm sorry I posted twice, it was saying my first was deleted so I reposted.
noneofyourbizniz

Cocoa, FL

#21 Oct 8, 2012
TLF wrote:
The contest winner, Eddie Barry, is dead. And I think all of his friends and family would like answers to all of your questions as well. I'm thinking Bob Segeils should get some representation, and then answer them.
The name of the business is Ben Siegel Reptiles, and I believe that they also deserve some privacy as well. My prayers and thought are with ALL involved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boca Raton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
You want me? Pay me Sat Gettinlucky 1
Review: Jumbolicious Technologies Sat Fran 4
Is Delray Beach a nice place to live? (Jan '10) Jul 3 DelrayDDD 58
dan l dailey sick pedophl jail (Dec '13) Jul 3 Dan Dailey 4
dan l dailey de beach fl depravd (Dec '13) Jul 3 Dan Dailey 2
dan l dailey sexts teen boys (Jan '14) Jul 3 Dan Dailey 5
Daniel L. Dailey's Life of Crime (Dec '12) Jul 3 Dan Dailey 61
More from around the web

Boca Raton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE