Curly-Tailed Lizard Population Threatens Native Lizards

Full story: NBC 6 South Florida

In 60 years, an exotic carnivore capable of devouring Florida's native lizards has taken over more than 50 miles of South Florida's urban coastline.

Comments (Page 6)

Showing posts 101 - 120 of141
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ponyboy

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

West Broward.
We have had curly-tails around for a few years. We still have our assortment of Anoles, Geckos, and even a Basilisk or two.
But we have WAY fewer bugs than before. I haven't seen a palmetto bug since June (knock on wood).
In my exp, curleys are not agressive, in fact, very skittish and shy.
Christina

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2012

I love our curly tails! I moved from Ft. Lauderdale to Boynton/Delray 15 years ago. I had never seen a curly tail in my life before that. I understand they have made their way south now. In my 15 years living with these awesome creatures, I can attests to the following: Goodbye pest control-not ever needed again with these natural predators of pest. Live and let live-I have never seen any of our curly tails ever attack another lizard-not in 15 years. Mate for life with same partner-yes they do and they rear their youngins as a family. Yes I can attests that mom and dad and teen used to come into our slider of our master bedroom when left open to watch the television when we had it on. Curios and smart creatures with personalities. I moved to Delray from Boynton a few years back. Only a couple of curly tails and ant problems and an occassional roach which I had not needed pest control for 15 years. I have thank-fully watched my few curlys increase in family size now and in at least 8 months, I have not seen an ant or a roach anywhere. Curly tails are the answer to pest-period. AND NO WAY, THEY DO NOT HUNT OTHER LIZARDS BUT LIVE PEACEABLY TOGETHER IN HARMONY!
B-Bob

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

I just asked a simple question;Does anyone know how and where these curly tailed lizards got to south florida? Out of a clear blue sky one shows up a year ago in back yard,Say what?
IRB

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2012

These lizzards are not only in south Florida. I live on the west coast in Indian Rocks Beach and I have seen these curly tail lizzards between 2 particular beach accesses, but no where else. I have seen them triple the size of a large gecko. I thought maybe they were a cross breed until I had researched them in the net.
Go Blue

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

We have several types,and they all get along fine, as i can see...even have a big black snake hat patrols the side and front yard....
Tina

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

I just need to know how to get rid of them. They are leaving disgusting droppings all over my front porch!!!
RJWestPalm

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

I have a few curly tails in my yard and they seem to live with the reg lizards with no problem. One comes up to me when I'm in the yard waiting for me to feed it. It's so cool. Been feeding it water bugs and grapes and he's getting huge. Even my dog doesn't bother him.

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Someone was telling my hubby that his father used to get them when he was in the Carribean and bring them back so they would eat the native lizards.

It just takes one idiot to destroy the natural order of things. Now they are here to stay. I don't thinkwe can get rid of them at this point. Just pray for a long cold snap. That may be the only thing that kills them. I doubt they can handle cold temps for long. I've thrown cold pool water on them and it practically slows them to a crawl.

Oh, and they do eat other lizards. I've seen it many times. When you see three or four of them, look around because you won't see any other lizards because the curly tails ate them all.
Davi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

I chop em up with a machete at my job. I hate them. Ive seen them eat native lizard. Remind me of dinosaurs eating other dinos
RJWestPalm

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

My yard has both lizards living in harmony. To bad we can't learn from that.
Don Z

Lake Wales, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

I just saw my first curly-tailed lizard today. I live in eastern Polk County near Lake Walk In Water.Obviously they're moving north.
Bill

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Curlytails and anoles get along just fine. My home is on a canal in Ft Lauderdale and there's plenty of both running around the yard and across the dock. One curlytail took up residence under a covered area next to some deck furniture near the pool, and we feed him meal worms from the pet store. He'll climb right up in your hand to enjoy his snack. Very cool. Sometimes, if I don't bring a meal worm at "snack time", he'll climb up on my foot and sit there in a sort of "where's my snack" look. I spend a lot of time outside and while I've seen anoles fight each other, I've never seen a curlytail and anole go at it. Both have "territory" and while the lines of their territory also seem to overlap, I really haven't seen any confrontations at the "borders". In fact, an anole has his "home" in or around a TV cabinet outside, and I've seen several small anoles there recently. This anole "home" is actually within the territory of the curlytail and I've seen the curlytail run right past the "baby" anoles, paying them little or no attention. He seems only interested in insects and his occassional meal worm feast. To those who are "targetng" the curlytails and their babies, I suggest you make an appointment with your local mental health agency before you escalate to small mammals. You obviously have some serious unresolved issues that need professional attention.
BigAlatIRB

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

I live in Indian Rocks Beach, which is between Clearwater and St. Pete's beach on the Gulf..We have a colony in the bushes on the 9th ave. beach access. They exists together with all the other native lizards...I enjoy watching them.. They do have a cocky nature but have never attached me on the way to the beach. :o)
maggie

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Hay! Jules I agree with you and so dose my whole family! I love curly tails.they are my favorite kind of lizard.It seems its the same for every one in Hope town! shame on who ever hurts them!
Sammy

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Rick wrote:
I live in Port St. Lucie and have alot of these Curly Tail Lizards in my yard..in all differant sizes...even some little babies..I think they are awesome to have...I used to have a bad Carpenter Ant infestation....when I bought my house....now I rarely see any Ants or even other bugs....They are really curious lizards...I'm a smoker and I smoke in my garage,have it set up like a hang out room....I've had these lizards actually come in the garaqe and just hang out...they are very cool...
they are curly tailed swifts they make great pets they are dessert lizards but are very fast and native lizards and are harmless
Sammy

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

I am looking for cool lizards to catch in boca raton and snakes not so sure what thre are there
gcv

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Rhinebeck wrote:
I am really so shocked how the internet is clearly the meeting ground of the idiots. Its like all these stupid forums are filled with comments from idiots, who hate on anyone intelligent. Obviously this is the only place you can even have a an outlet for your fucking stupidity no one in the real world would listen to. And for the record, internet morons, LIZARD is spelled with one z, not two. And while you may live in florida (land of the idiots) if you're actually feeding these predatory reptilian rats, you have way too much time on your hands...
How funny for you to be correcting others! The correct way to use "its" in your post would be "it's". The name of a state is a proper noun and therefore should be capitalized. Come on down to Florida; our schools are evidently superior to those in your area.
Curly

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

I have actually seen large curly tail lizards preying on geckos and other native lizards and therefore chose to eliminate them. I feel really bad but I don't want them taking over my yard...
Palm beach chick

Jupiter, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

They were brought in from the Bahamas to palm beach county to kill insects in the sugar cane.
Curlytailkiller

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

I have hade it and I can't take it any more! Too many curly tail lizzzzards all around my house. The dig holes under the foundation and multiply like rats. Anyway I finally found a way to get rid of them...THE STICKY RAT TRAPS. In two days I caught 13 in two traps. Five days over 20 of these monsters are HISTORY.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 101 - 120 of141
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Boca Raton Forum right now

Search the Boca Raton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: Half Price Kitchen Bath & Granite (Aug '12) 3 hr RD Ft Lauderdale 5
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 3 hr Panamaed 2,631
FL 'Hiccup girl' charged with murder in Florida (Oct '10) 10 hr nope 1,788
cyberspace jukebox (Sep '12) Wed YO VINNIE 880
Police on trail of theft and fraud suspect John... (Feb '09) Tue He Dated my sis 88
leo (Nov '12) Apr 15 Wondering 3
looking for someone (Jul '13) Apr 15 Wondering 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Boca Raton Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Boca Raton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE