Victim's friend says schoolmate made ...

Victim's friend says schoolmate made threat before Boca Raton s...

There are 72 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Nov 16, 2008, titled Victim's friend says schoolmate made threat before Boca Raton s.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

"The kid called Jacob [Zweig] last Saturday at around 9 p.m. and said, 'I'm going [expletive] kill you,'" said Jack Florens, 18.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

United States

#69 Nov 18, 2008
rob wrote:
Disturbing - I disagree with you. If someone were to use their fists against you, I think you need to defend yourself by whatever means possible. You need to fight for your own life always. That person could kill you with their fists or cause you serious injury. There is no real time to think about your plan of action in that situation. You must save yourself from further harm and react immediately. If you're going to play with fire you better be prepared to get burned. If you're going to pick a fight with someone you better know the outcome might not be in your favor.
It is so sad that the lives of two families have now changed forever because of the poor judgment of each of their teenagers. Kids must learn ASAP that unlike the violent video games that they play, there are no do overs in life. Their parents will have regrets, their friends that were there with them will have regrets. Serious counseling will be needed to help everyone adjust and heal.
I am sorry for this senseless lose. All life is precious and must be cherished. Confrontations only lead to aggravation and in this case, an immense amount of grief.
I agree with what you said and I would be more understanding of the boy to feel the need to use the knife if it were a stranger who attacked him. But it was someone that he knew and had known for a long time at school. I just wonder how in fear of his life he really was or if he stabbed out of rage and anger. I have a problem with people so eager to pull out a weapon. God forbid we should honk our horns at a person these days without feeling we may take a bullet. I would be interested to know if one of the boys went looking for the other. I live in Parkland and there are a lot of nasty rumors and I prefer to wait to hear facts. However, I am concerned about a boys who is able to pull out a knife and stab another. I have sons and I would not want my kid associated with such a loose cannon. Sorry.

United States

#70 Nov 18, 2008
individual wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to defend the action of stabbing, but if the student knew that the confrontation was coming (for whatever reason, such as the proposed drug deal theory), then he might have been carrying the knife in self-defense. In all cases, it isn't tremendously safe to be on one's own as a high-school student in some parts of Boca, and the knife might have been an anticipation of the general need to protect oneself in a less-than-safe area. I don't know where you read that Jacob was stabbed five times, let alone in the chest, but I must argue against that alleged fact. Jacob was heard saying that he was tased ("Did you just tase me?!") before he collapsed; however, I find it hard to believe that he would be unable to differentiate between being tased and being stabbed five times in the chest. Being stabbed once, however, would probably be more difficult to differentiate from being tased. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I feel that there are more logical reasons for him having a knife other than the idea that he was looking for a fight. If he was looking for a fight and he had the knife with the express intent of doing harm, both as you suspect, why would he flee the initial confrontation?
In the same article that said Jacob thought he was tased, his friend who was there said he was stabbed 5 times. I read it in the article. As far as a person thinking they were tased and not stabbed, I worked many years ago with a young guy who had been stabbed in a fight and he told me he did not realize he had been stabbed until he was told by the paramedics, he said it felt like a punch. I really have a problem with the fact that the other teen had a knife. He and his parents must be completely devastated because he took a life.

Pompano Beach, FL

#71 Nov 18, 2008
If he felt threatened, it's possible he took the knife from the cafe before leaving.
Just trying to make sense out of the senseless.
NBPS Parents

Pompano Beach, FL

#72 Nov 19, 2008
It was a coffee cafe genius
Boca Sucks wrote:
what was this kid doing at a cafe at 1 in the morning ? Isn't he a little too young to be drinking ****
Devistated parent

Pompano Beach, FL

#73 Nov 19, 2008
Jacob was threatened by the 'smaller' boy the week before the incident. Two teen boys in a fist fight, not a big deal. Premeditated threats that end in homicide....a big deal! Come on Palm Beach the right thing!
toto wrote:
another perspective

Pompano Beach, FL

#74 Nov 19, 2008
If you notice the media and the school are both taking an extremely neutral position thus far. What is in agreement is that the lives of both families will be changed forever. The actual facts of the events that took place have yet to be disclosed. Although violence is not the answer, Jacob was far from the angel that he has been described by most. He was a troubled young man who had been to four different high schools.

The incident occurred outside a hookah bar. The hookah lounge (also called a shisha bar, especially in Britain and parts of Canada) is an establishment where patrons share shisha (flavored tobacco) from a communal hookah or nargile which is placed at each table. Most of these students did not have any business being there as they were not of legal age.

It is definitely time for parents to be aware of what their children are doing. Teenagers should not be given unlimited freedoms; they should have curfews that are reasonable to their age.

My thoughts and prayers do go out to both families as the lives of all involved are changed forever.

Pompano Beach, FL

#75 Nov 25, 2008
teacher wrote:
It stated in the article that he stayed out of trouble/ was a good kid. I'm not so sure I agree. I was told by some of his classmates that this incident was over cocaine and marijuana sales.****
50 Years ago i had teachers like you, perfect, know everything, seen everything, don't teach.

Pompano Beach, FL

#76 Nov 25, 2008
Boca Sucks wrote:
what was this kid doing at a cafe at 1 in the morning ? Isn't he a little too young to be drinking ****
hing onto moma until your retired!

Pompano Beach, FL

#77 Nov 25, 2008
Big Daddy wrote:
There's more going on here than your regular high-school he-said/she-said or "you looked at my girlfriend" beef. These kids were obviously from well-off families (has a speakerphone, has a car in HS, just went to a Heat game, is going to an expensive private school, was out at a teen club), but they handle their problems just like people who have much less resources to learn better and more civil forms of conflict resolution.
Some people will blame this on everyone but these kids. But again, we are also to blame. All of us. No one could teach these kids that there is a way to handle your disputes without resorting to deadly physical violence. But maybe that's because we don't know how to do that.
I remember stuff like this happening when I was in high school. A kid we knew stabbed another kid over theft of a bicycle. Guys from the football team got into a big rolling brawl with guys from the wrestling team on a beach outing. My buddy got shot in the foot at a park ball court for refusing to give some other kid his gold chain.
The gist is that these things have happened all the time, all over our country since before the Jets and the Sharks got into it. It's just now, we have a constant stream of news that acts as a death tally banner. I never remember our beach brawls making the paper because when the cops would break it up, they would take everyone home and no one would get arrested. Now, we need to even arrest an 8 year old on felony charges because they brought a gun to school.
People need to take their noses out of other people's lives and out of their Blackberries and I-phones and really engage the people in front of them. Those constant distractions that we use to "communicate" are really ways to show people we think anything is more important than speaking to or listening to them when they are standing before us. The disconnect from people has been transferred to a virtual world that is spiritually and emotionally empty. Not to mention costly--all that money to do what 2 minutes on a phone used to accomplish.
Until we get back a sense of presence, we will see more and more of these senseless acts by our kids. It's the only way they have learned to get anyone's attention.
why should our children be any deferent than our federal government. what have we been doing for the last 6 years, making peace.

Pompano Beach, FL

#78 Nov 25, 2008
i didn't know there where so many stupid people!

Miami, FL

#80 Nov 29, 2008
A little touchy aren't we "Disturbing". Maybe you shouldn't take it so personal...I highly doubt they were talking to you in particular. Generalizations are just that, they may or may not include or exclude certain people. But you do have to admit, a majority or at least 50% of privileged children of doing what they please and Mommy and Daddy can save the day no matter how wrong. Just trying to shine a little realism your way…Oh yeah to clarify I wasn’t specifically talking about you.
Impartial Bystander

United States

#83 Sep 16, 2011
I knew Jacob Zwieg,I actually had class with him & the boy who stabbed him. I was new at school & I remember him picking on me & several other kids but when it came down to this one other kid he was relentless. But the kid who stabbed Zweig picked on people as well, probably as a defense mechanism. This wasn't a fit of rage, it was deep seeded, yet childish anger that finally went overboard. I'm not saying what he did was right but undoubtedly if Mr.Zweig had never antagonized the "victim" we would be talking about something other than this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boca Raton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Being Gay = Lake Of Fire 3 hr repent now 1
Jehova Became Flesh ( MESSAGE TO JEWS) 3 hr repent now 1
News What's opened, what's closed Easter weekend in ... (Mar '08) 18 hr Joey 7
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Jun '16) Thu Morninsunshinee 89
cyberspace jukebox (Sep '12) Wed YO VINNIE 1,547
News Stormy Daniels to appear at South Florida strip... Wed Miami Mike 3
Boca Raton Music Thread (Oct '13) Mar 11 Musikologist 10

Boca Raton Jobs

Personal Finance

Boca Raton Mortgages