South Florida doctors allowed to keep...

South Florida doctors allowed to keep prescribing pain pills af...

There are 60 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from May 9, 2009, titled South Florida doctors allowed to keep prescribing pain pills af.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

One in five of the doctors working in South Florida's pain-pill offices has a history of professional discipline or criminal convictions, a much higher proportion than for physicians overall, a Sun Sentinel review found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
samantha

Loudon, NH

#43 Jun 8, 2009
Archie we have a 16 yard old dead cause the Doc. gave meds.What is a 16 year old know???You are luckey buddie and wish you the best but drugs need to be checked out better then they are.I was on Viox and it hurt my kidneys in a few days.Lucky I stoped them.
samantha

Loudon, NH

#44 Jun 8, 2009
Who ever makes these drugs must be more thinking cause a lost person for a drug on the market means many innocent Doc. are put to blame and it is the very one makeing them that is to blame.In most cases.
samantha

Loudon, NH

#45 Jun 8, 2009
But sometimes it is lack of labs or not pay attention to the lab work results.Or not pay attention to symtoms forinstance lack of urine.Which means kidneys are failing is high on that list.So you have to discontinue the drug.Pay attention.
samantha

Loudon, NH

#46 Jun 8, 2009
Pain pills when addiction starts you feel the drug isn,t working.So they opt for higher it.Not a good idea.
samantha

Loudon, NH

#47 Jun 8, 2009
If you can try other options.
GREEN EYES

Wagoner, OK

#48 Jun 11, 2009
hello, i thought that the DEA came in and is now controlling the meds dispensed by pain dr,'s.. i had friends from ky come down and now the clinics will not see them, b/c of DEA. i do believe that most are truely in pain,but not the very young, unless serious accident. it will be under control shortly. especially ky ppl. the person who stated that moist heat works for them, i would love that to work for me..you must not have severe back or neck problems. it feels good for the moment, but not for the day, not even 20 minutes...you are one lucky person..

Since: May 09

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#49 Jun 18, 2009
What bothers me most is the so called people who call you friend then use your injury and medicine intake as an excuse to use themselves but yet they have no medical problems or have been in any accidents to require them to be taking these drugs. But they seem to have this need to latch onto you to try and buy from you, all the while telling themselves it's ok because I have to take them so it's ok for them to abuse them. It amazes me that people will tell themselves anything to take them and I would do anything to get ride of the pain so I don't have to take them. I would trade in a heart beat, if it were possible I already would have.

Jacqbiker

:)
GREEN EYES

Ashland, KY

#50 Jun 19, 2009
get away from your friends that seem to think they need your meds, Jacqbiker. they aren't your friends..hopefully you have other ppl to hang with that don't abuse the friendship. i too would give anything to roll back the clock and fix this pain i have on a daily basis..i just hope you have enough meds to make it thru the month after the leaches..but as i had asked before, is there not a computer program in place now to help the doctors with the bad patients? i had read something in the sun about that, but did not get it all..good luck Jacqbiker

Since: May 09

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#51 Jun 19, 2009
GREEN EYES wrote:
get away from your friends that seem to think they need your meds, Jacqbiker. they aren't your friends..hopefully you have other ppl to hang with that don't abuse the friendship. i too would give anything to roll back the clock and fix this pain i have on a daily basis..i just hope you have enough meds to make it thru the month after the leaches..but as i had asked before, is there not a computer program in place now to help the doctors with the bad patients? i had read something in the sun about that, but did not get it all..good luck Jacqbiker
The bill has been signed, but it could take up to a year before they get this in place, so don't expect to see much difference until then. Thats only gonna stop the Dr. shoppers, and believe me thats such a small fraction of the problem we are having. A good example of that is at the first of the year we started having problems locating pharmacy's that even had our meds to fill our scripts, The clinic's where all on back order as well as the local pharmacy's. No one in town had them, but you could go to the corner Drug dealer and he had by the thousands, and you see I hate to have to get my prescribed meds from the streets but where do you turn when the pharmacy's can't fill them, and you didn't want to be sick. So I had to get for a couple of days till my Dr's office finally got some in for me. I asked this guy about his supplier and he grinned and said no worries here, I don't Dr. shop or even have a prescription, much less go to a pain clinic, so they can pass all the new laws they want, it won't hurt my business at all. My friend who know's him better said that he gets 20 bottles in a week. All brought in from some place in Georgia. He's getting them out the back door of one of either manufacturers, or suppliers. So to me they can pass all the laws they want, and it will not stop these drugs from getting on the streets. There's to much of a demand which makes it to tempting for all the illegal activity, theres just to much money to be made. Ps I learned about all the leaches, and have learned to hang on to what I need for me. LOL :)
goingthroughahar dtime

United States

#52 Jun 28, 2009
Does anyone know Allen Schwalb? He supposedly moved to florida and he is addicted to pain pills. I am hoping someone knows of his whereabouts.
Observer

Orange Park, FL

#53 Jun 28, 2009
orlando becky wrote:
<quoted text>i used to bring 1000's of ecstasy pills to tallahasee (the good clean pills) way back in the day.
crappy clubs for techno - nonetheless, legendary afer-parties
Yeah and I believe these ecstasy pills have had a huge impact on the brain of one of my grandchildren! Is it good for you to know you may of hurt an innocent child?
knowledge

Zoe, KY

#54 Jul 13, 2009
where is the best place to go to get oxycontin perscribed because i need it and recently lost my doctor where I live
Harmony Killibrew

Boca Raton, FL

#55 Aug 20, 2009
http://painclinicflorida.com

Try out pain clinic florida, they can hook you up with a pain management clinic that will set you up with the very best deal...
John Z

Oakmont, PA

#56 Sep 9, 2009
there are no doctors working at Halprin's detox centers that have any blemishes on their records. Considering that Halprin was instrumental in helping Suboxone to become an important medication to be used for outpatient detox, you obviously have some sort of vendetta against him or do not know what you are speaking about. He has helped thousands of people. As far as his arrest close to 6 years ago, I would not believe everything that you read in the paper. Why don't you call him and verbalize your sincere issues with his detoxification center. Because everyone that I know that obtains medical care at his office, seems to get better. Its the only detoxification center that I know of that you can not obtain oxycontin or any other control 2 medications unless you are dying from cancer. So what is your problem mr Jack...
one bad cat

United States

#57 Sep 27, 2009
beguiled wrote:
Florida is the wild wild west.Anything goes down there.
It's certainly starting to look that way.
xyz

El Paso, TX

#58 Aug 29, 2010
orlando becky wrote:
until you have chopped up and snorted OxyContin or equivalent, you have not lived.
A few stiff drinks and some lines and you are king of the world.
Prohibiting the sale of this kind of opportunity is wrong.
I'll second that!!!!!!!!!!So much for the presuit of happiness, to each his own!
painpatient

Minneapolis, MN

#59 Dec 19, 2010
You should check out and help this organization Doctors and Patients for unrestricted pain management. http://www.facebook.com/home.php ?#!/pages/Doctors-and-Patients -for-Unrestricted-Pain-Managem ent/175643865791059
Doc D

West Springfield, MA

#60 Jul 19, 2011
VET wrote:
<quoted text>I always doctor shop cause of insurance reasons. I buy a few hundred Oxycontins for a few hundred bucks. I sell them, as well, and I pay my mortgage, too. Its legal.
It is not legal. what are you talking about?

Our oath says,"above all do no harm", enabling people
to become addicted to pills that will destroy their lives
is doing harm.
Ryan

Northampton, PA

#61 Mar 5, 2012
the problem is the user. I used to do security at a methadone clinic and let me tell you there is no age on addiction. I saw a few posts where you crucify people under 30, labeling us as addicts. Recreational drug use is done by people of all ages. I do have to say quite a few of the methadone clinic patients were under 35 but there were a lot of patients of 35 as well. The way these people lived their lives really made me not want to use narcotic pain relievers for more than just a few days when really needed. Although i am not the addictive type you never know for sure until its too late. Yes i know some people can become addicted after just a few days but people with real pain usually don't become addicted in a few days. There is a real problem with pain clinics in florida its sickening. The government needs to shut these places down and have these patients seek out a PCP. Most PCP's will not prescribe heavy narcotics for long term use and if they do they will really do their research as these doctors are usually part of a small medical practice or are on their own. Their lives depend on it.
alre

Lakeland, FL

#62 Jun 27, 2012
im new at this doctor thing. I am in pain I have scoliosis, narrowing discs and I was born with a defect spina bifida that caused scoliosis. and the pain in my lower back is getting worse as I get older. im 30, have to boys 9and13. I cant have fun with them as much because im hurting. they like basketball I use to play with them but im geting worse with pain. can some one help me please. so I can enjoy life with my kids again. I have not seen a doctor in years dont have much money, single parent. I do have xrays from last year because I was in a car wreck. and it does show my spine, and the problems I have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boca Raton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Delray Beach a nice place to live? (Jan '10) 5 hr To_Harvey 71
News South Florida braces for affects of possible Ha... (Jan '10) 9 hr justice101 12
News Melvin Pollack, 65 -- U.S. Air Force 1964-1984 (Dec '07) Wed Beth 3
News Man shot at Deerfield Beach home identified Tue Jayne 1
News Speed Trap Near FAU Is One of the Most Notorious May 21 ThomasA 2
Review: South Florida Introductions (Apr '15) May 21 New to Florida 21
Vote For Donald Trump May 21 Go Blue Forever 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Boca Raton Mortgages