South Florida doctors allowed to keep...

South Florida doctors allowed to keep prescribing pain pills af...

There are 60 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from May 9, 2009, titled South Florida doctors allowed to keep prescribing pain pills af.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

One in five of the doctors working in South Florida's pain-pill offices has a history of professional discipline or criminal convictions, a much higher proportion than for physicians overall, a Sun Sentinel review found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

VET

United States

#21 May 10, 2009
davie resident wrote:
South florida has the highest amount of pain clinics in the United States. There are people that travel from all over the country to get their pills, but it's only the addicts that come here. The ones with real problems get their pills were they live. The addicts come down here because it's easy.
The real problem is the doctors that just want to make money instead of treating the patient. Unfortunately the bad doctors don't get convicted because of the ignorant public that think this is ok. Just read some of these posts and you will see.
I always doctor shop cause of insurance reasons. I buy a few hundred Oxycontins for a few hundred bucks. I sell them, as well, and I pay my mortgage, too. Its legal.

“Let there be light!”

Since: May 07

Delray Beach

#22 May 10, 2009
Orlando huh thats where the biggest druggies are...when I went to college in Tallahassee, if you wanted to party hard, you talked to the orlando kids, they knew the best shit to take and where to get it. Becky, put that straw in your nose again and look in the mirror...you will be old before your time adn your brain is rotten...if this is your opinion...then fine, but how coud you preach something like this when you KNOW in somewhere in you that it's wrong and it;s killing you. Get a grip before its too late.
orlando becky wrote:
until you have chopped up and snorted OxyContin or equivalent, you have not lived.
A few stiff drinks and some lines and you are king of the world.
Prohibiting the sale of this kind of opportunity is wrong.
orlando becky

United States

#23 May 10, 2009
Delray Chica wrote:
Orlando huh thats where the biggest druggies are...when I went to college in Tallahassee, if you wanted to party hard, you talked to the orlando kids, they knew the best **** to take and where to get it. Becky, put that straw in your nose again and look in the mirror...you will be old before your time adn your brain is rotten...if this is your opinion...then fine, but how coud you preach something like this when you KNOW in somewhere in you that it's wrong and it;s killing you. Get a grip before its too late.<quoted text>
i used to bring 1000's of ecstasy pills to tallahasee (the good clean pills) way back in the day.
crappy clubs for techno - nonetheless, legendary afer-parties
Turnip Truck Driver

Tibbie, AL

#24 May 10, 2009
Buffalochik wrote:
<quoted text>
If your pain is releived by moist heating pads, than the level of pain is not that high
Oh yes it is. The vertebrae at the base of my neck are compressed together. The muscles in my back are scar tissue and arthritis has set in.
Right after the accident, the large muscles between my shoulder blades moved around under the skin on their own and then contracted. It was puke pain and the PT injured their hand on them.
My middle back has the herniated disk. If you know anything about them, then you understand pain.
My sciatica,(sp), affects my walking. I cannot lay on a flat surface on my back.
Yeah, I have pain every single day. Moist heating pads mean some relief. But, I never want to get to the point where I have to ingest pain pills in order to cope with it.
Like I said, if you start them, you become medically dependent on them and when you stop, the pain is worse than it was before you took them.
Turnip Truck Driver

Tibbie, AL

#25 May 10, 2009
VET wrote:
<quoted text>I always doctor shop cause of insurance reasons. I buy a few hundred Oxycontins for a few hundred bucks. I sell them, as well, and I pay my mortgage, too. Its legal.
Oxycontin must have fried your brain. It's not legal to sell your surplus.. hope you're busted real soon. Felony, I believe.

Since: Apr 07

Lake Worth, FL

#27 May 10, 2009
Turnip Truck Driver wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes it is. The vertebrae at the base of my neck are compressed together. The muscles in my back are scar tissue and arthritis has set in.
Right after the accident, the large muscles between my shoulder blades moved around under the skin on their own and then contracted. It was puke pain and the PT injured their hand on them.
My middle back has the herniated disk. If you know anything about them, then you understand pain.
My sciatica,(sp), affects my walking. I cannot lay on a flat surface on my back.
Yeah, I have pain every single day. Moist heating pads mean some relief. But, I never want to get to the point where I have to ingest pain pills in order to cope with it.
Like I said, if you start them, you become medically dependent on them and when you stop, the pain is worse than it was before you took them.
I do know pain, and I am glad that this works for you. I am in the same situation, and I am not dependent...I take the least amount possible to take the edge off.
Lady Justice

Boca Raton, FL

#28 May 11, 2009
What about the LAWYERS that work with the so called DOCTORS? This problem goes beyond doctors. I don't see any mention of the lawyers that work with the doctors. Accident victims go from the ambulance to the lawyer to the drug doctor. This saves the insurance co. a lot of money and puts money in the pockets of thiefs called Lawyers and Doctors. The State of Florida is aware.
Uh Oh

Stuart, FL

#29 May 11, 2009
"South Florida doctors allowed to keep prescribing pain pills after offenses" - I guess this is because Florida has no doctors anymore. If the trial lawyers and insurance companies aren't chasing them out of the state, our handy government will.
NomorePAIN

Jackson, MI

#30 May 14, 2009
Dear All,

This is so sad. Just because a newspaper article, it seems you all take the reporters opinions as fact. This is a terrible mistake and if you want to discuss the issue responsibly you MUST spend more then five (5) minutes reading and do some serious research! PAIN is terribly undertreated in the USA due to the Gov and DEA's crackdown on Pain Docs.

Many people suffer from chronic pain. I do. It is increasingly difficult to get pain meds for legitimate pain patients. Focusing on a few bad cases is not the right thing to do -- where is the balance in this report? What about the 90% of pain patients and their Docs that are properly treating patients? Lets be reasonable and not make it worse for others out there who may need pain management and will not be able to find it.

The main reason we, as a Country have this problem is because most family Doctors will not treat people with painful conditions or chronic pain. As they refuse, pain clinics pop up to help them. Then, those with no problems figure out they can make money if they go to these Docs and lie --- herein is the problem, not the Docs who are lied to by fraudulent patients. Doctors put ten to fifteen years into school and training, lets not ruin them because of hysteria. Responsible regulation and a balanced approach, without the heavy hand of the DEA is needed here. If you ever were to suffer from pain that did not stop, chronic pain, you would NOT be complaining, except that it is getting harder and harder to find proper treatment for your injuries. Lets not let some reporter trying to sell newspapers skew the issue -- this is medical treatment and those that have no injury and lie to their Docs are the wrongdoers.
Mike

Spartanburg, SC

#31 May 17, 2009
Joe Lunch Bucket wrote:
Yeah and how many Oxy's did you just pop?
<quoted text>
I actually just popped 6 10/325 mg percocet. Im feeling quite lovely thank you. How I looove South Florida! All you rednecks that have a problem with it go back to the panhandle!!
Delray Resident

Boynton Beach, FL

#32 May 17, 2009
Its about time the government does something about these pain clinics. There is no reason for them to be prescribing the amount of pills they are prescribing on a regular basis. Someone very dear to me lost his life after getting hooked on these pills. He actually got off the blues and was then prescribed xanax by the same drs that got hime off the blues. The amount of pills prescribed at a time is absolutely rediculous. I just wish the legislation would have happened a little sooner and hopefully will prevent anyone else from losing their life and their family from feeling the grief we are feeling now.
Tracy

Pompano Beach, FL

#33 May 22, 2009
This is a topic that definitely won't be fixed correctly in the near future, and will require a lot of thought and revolutionary thinking to resolve.

http://painclinicflorida.com
roximan

Newark, NJ

#34 May 24, 2009
After reading some of these posts I had to register and comment. First of all the idiot who claims to have back problems,u can't get away with a heating pad unless all u do is lay in bed and do nothing! I am 31 and was ejected from a car through the t-tops(they were on) if I had my seatbelt on I would b dead the car rolled several times and looked like a pancake! I have 9 herneiated, buldging,degenerative discs in my neck and back.also sever carpull tunnel syndrome, and my trapazoid muscle is growing around my spine causing sever scolliosous. I've been told by multiple dr's including dr at Mass General Hospital that I need 3 surgery's or I will b in a wheelchair by the time I am 40. I will only have the surgery to cut my trapazoid muscle. The other surgery's I will not have because my dad had back surgery the dr messed up and now he is disabaled/ handicapped!! I will continue to take my pain meds for as long as I have to. Yes I am one of those people standing in line to get 240 30's to b filled. I have pain that is unbearable and is about a 5 with my meds. Don't come on here and start blameing doctors for writeing excessive or to many scripts when u don't have a fucking clue to what is wrong with the pt!!!! You should keep your mouth shut and worry about yourself unless your giving money to a charity but by the posts I've read your all greedy, unappreciated, and don't care about people who really need PAIN MEDS TO SURVIVE FROM DAY TO DAY!!! TO ALL IN PAIN GOD BLESS AND I HOPE U HAVE A GOOD PAIN MANGT DR. HAVE A PAIN FREE DAY.
archie

Boca Raton, FL

#35 May 25, 2009
agnostic conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
Another racist comment on these boards. Your probably one of those who come wandering in the Pharmacy wanting 240 Roxi's, under 30 and of course want the "blue" ones so they can be crushed for a quick high. I would say 80% of the Roxi customers are faking their injuries. Most are under 30 and are ruining their lives for this drug. You guys really want to be hooked on Roxi's for the rest of your life? It's amazing how many kids are hooked on this now. Just look at the lines in these so called pain management offices. You never see any old people or cancer patients. Usually kids with phony MRI's. The time has come to stop this unnecessary prescribing. Most normal people get plenty of relief with 1 or 2 standard 5MG Percocet. Yet these kids are hooked on the equivalent of taking up to 12 Percocet 5's at one time. Way out of control. Yes some people need it but South Florida doesn't just happen to have thousands of so called "back pain" patients who need tons of Roxi's (and are under 30). And at an average of $1.50 to $2.00 a pill then turning and selling them up to $15.00 a piece, these so called patients are raking in a nice profit.$360.00, probably less for 240 Roxi's. Sell them all at $15.00 a piece and you make $3,600 bucks. Minus the Doctor visit these guys make about $3,000. And believe me they probably have 3-4 Doctors writing them this stuff. Who needs a job with that kind of profit.
Denial is a river that runs north in Egypt. Sorry for the people who REALLY need this med but the bad ones are ruining this for you.
i am under 30 years old, have debilitating back injeries, and nerve damage down to my feet. i have tried to go without medication but my quality of life was non-exsisitant. after becoming proactive by getting meds and a stimulator inplant i can resume normal activites. but the stigma i got whenever my pain issue came up made me so assamed to be takeing them that i started to lie and say i did not take the medicaion. but then i relized the problem was not with me taking them , itwas with people like u who would judge me for it. PLEASE do not assume that everyone has the same relationship with drugs the you do. i aggree the there are people who have no right taking these meds, but until we start using lie detectoers or privet detectives to see if the people are not frauds we need to have some compassion for the sick and injured.

but i do also hate to see these cracked out people in pharmacies asking for potent narcotics. it makes people like me seem to be something that i am not. and yes south florida does seem to attract a very unhosme set of docs and "patents". but people no matter how sure you are about your judgement of someone and their intentions remember 1.you dont have all the info. 2. even if you did what makes you so holy to judge them. 3.in most cases the more sure you are about somthing you are probbibly wrong because your emothion on the subject will cloud the obvios truth
Just Me

Richardson, TX

#37 May 28, 2009
I agree, if you're getting relief by just a heating pad alone, then you're very lucky... I used to just be in pain and think my body would take care of it, until I pretty much chased away family and friends who begged me to seek help for the pain, due to how nasty I would get because of it. I would do anything not to take medicine, because I didn't believe in pill poppin',,,, since I've been taking pain meds, I can finally be comfortable again. I can do more than I was able to do before and anyone that has a problem with me taking meds... it's not your body, it's mine and it's my life. I would rather live a comfortable life than one in pain, where no one wants to be around you because your just miseriable due to pain that just won't go away. Funny, so many other things are legal and way worse for you, but I don't hear anyone talking about that... interesting.
samantha

Loudon, NH

#38 May 29, 2009
Drugs ruine kidneys and internal organs.Depends on what future you wish.Pain dugs used properly ok.But highly addictive so you require more then is healthy.
samantha

Loudon, NH

#39 May 29, 2009
Drugs can make life easy but when your older you can,t afford them.Choose wisley.Some save lives.
samantha

Loudon, NH

#40 May 29, 2009
Some can kill when you think they are safe at a regular dose.Every one is unique.
samantha

Loudon, NH

#41 May 29, 2009
I so disike it when they formulate a drug on unsispecting people say safe and they are .not.I think that a company that sells a drug be more acuntable for a death then the poor docter.
archie

Boca Raton, FL

#42 Jun 1, 2009
great point, pain meds can have an adverse reation on the kidnesys, some narcotics worse then others but over the counter non steriodal anti inflamitory drugs (nsaid) like advil and aleave are evan worse. when taken chronicly these drugs lead to heart attack and stroke becase the over time they "eat" away at stomaic linning. for example Vioxx was taken of the market due to exactaly that same reason. also Celebrex was given a block box warning of the increased possability of stroke, because the slightly dried blood from the linning of the stomiac and large intestine could be become loose and get stuck in an artery or vein where more bildup could release it to the heart or brain. like any medicine taken every day for years and years the likly hood and something bad happens increases. and in my case i have a phycatric condition which will require mo to take meds forthe rest of my life. drugs like lithium. lithium can be one of the most toxic and dangerous to take, but under the guidence of a great doctor i would rather know the i will feel normal again and be vigelint with my lithium dose ,blood work,and food . so i say do your homework when it comes to what you put in your body and STOP putting others down for the medical decidsion the make ,because meds all have there up and down sides. only a fool would put anything in there bodies a doctor tells them without first learning about it on your own. but just as foolish is to not take somthing because the social connotaion or sentement that it is negative
sorry about my spelling

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boca Raton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trick Opmin Ucweb Celcom Maxis Malaysia (Apr '12) 5 hr jyps 9
Review: I Love Kickboxing 12 hr Betty 7
cyberspace jukebox (Sep '12) 13 hr YO VINNIE 1,317
Review: Half Price Kitchen Bath & Granite (Aug '12) 18 hr Half Price 8
Is Delray Beach a nice place to live? (Jan '10) Jun 19 Old Delray 73
News Boca Raton vet clinic sued after toy poodle suf... (Feb '08) Jun 16 Samson 222
Guys Jerking off and Driving???? (May '09) Jun 15 ClaytonJacker 34
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Boca Raton Mortgages