South Florida doctors allowed to keep prescribing pain pills af...

May 9, 2009 Read more: South Florida Sun-Sentinel 60
One in five of the doctors working in South Florida's pain-pill offices has a history of professional discipline or criminal convictions, a much higher proportion than for physicians overall, a Sun Sentinel review found. Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tea PARTY

United States

#1 May 9, 2009
The People who are in pain DESERVE thier medicine EVEN if there are those who abuse the meds ! It would be better health-wise to use medical marijuana for this , but this option will not be availible in Florida for the next 15-20 years due to our redneck time warp . Cailfornia will be selling it at High tax within 5 years . The becomes more unwinable each day . This will be remembered as a backward time ala prohibition ... Let spend the money elsewhere ...here ..there.... The future can be great , Let's take a step back say 1899 , and a step foward 2010 , and stop pissin OUR TAX MONEY !!! YOU WANNA FIGHT?? YOU PAY !!!!!!!!! NO MORE ESCOBARS AND CAPONES !!!
Cindy

United States

#2 May 9, 2009
If you have ever had a loved one suffer from debilitatin pain , than you know how vital it is to get medicine .Don't be a sadistt and stand in the way .
Jack

United States

#3 May 9, 2009
This stupid legislation will cause legitimate doctors to under prescribe pain medications for their patients in horrible pain for fear of government persecution. All these pols who think they are our "leaders" we need to vote them out pronto.
bob g

Pompano Beach, FL

#4 May 9, 2009
kelly, I can not believe you represent fellow citizens. These pain doctors are trying to be legal drug dealers. You scare me with your stupidity or that they are the ones donating to your re-election. You are what is bringing this country down. shame on you.
tim

AOL

#5 May 9, 2009
Doctors are afraid to prescribe drugs for people that really need it now. I know my wifes doctor under prescribes her meds all the time. We had to leave him because he was scared to give her pills for her back which she had 3 surgery's on. It was like the doctor was doing us a favor by giving her meds.
painpainpain

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 May 10, 2009
i am sick of seeing all the people who get their minds and bodies destroyed by all these florida pain clinics. i am sick and tired of seeing all the patients get killed and families shattered. since the police and politicians can't seem to do anything about it maybe the public should take matters into their own hands. here is an idea: hold protests outside these clinics. here is another idea: detonate fireworks outside the clinic locations to attract public awareness to the problem.
Joe Lunch Bucket

AOL

#7 May 10, 2009
Yeah and how many Oxy's did you just pop?
Tea PARTY wrote:
The People who are in pain DESERVE thier medicine EVEN if there are those who abuse the meds ! It would be better health-wise to use medical marijuana for this , but this option will not be availible in Florida for the next 15-20 years due to our redneck time warp . Cailfornia will be selling it at High tax within 5 years . The becomes more unwinable each day . This will be remembered as a backward time ala prohibition ... Let spend the money elsewhere ...here ..there.... The future can be great , Let's take a step back say 1899 , and a step foward 2010 , and stop pissin OUR TAX MONEY !!! YOU WANNA FIGHT?? YOU PAY !!!!!!!!! NO MORE ESCOBARS AND CAPONES !!!
Randi

Deerfield Beach, FL

#8 May 10, 2009
These doctors are just legal drug dealers.
The cycle would not work if the state went after the doctors that are writing huge amounts of narcotics.
These doctors are killing these pt's.
They want you on the highest dose of narcotics possible, so the money keeps flowing,
A huge percent of these pain clinic doctors sell there soul for the huge money they get to write scripts all day..
Sandy Beach

Sarasota, FL

#9 May 10, 2009
They all want to be "House"
paul a

United States

#10 May 10, 2009
let the good times roll
Jack

Elmira, NY

#11 May 10, 2009
In California, nondoctors are not permitted to open clinics. This is why California doesn't have such problems. This policy is clrearly stated on the California Medical Board website:
http://www.medbd.ca.gov/licensee/corporate_pr...

I know of one clinic in Wilton Manors. This was owned and operated by a nurse practitioner named Michael Halprin. He hired older and doctors with blemishes on their records to dispense narcotics. He was caught in 2005 by undercover cop exchanging pain pill for weed. He lost his nurse license, but yet was allowed to continue owning the clinic and the narcotics dispensary in there. I find this absolutely amazing!
He now has another clinic in Brevard country doing the same thing.
The problem is that there is no law banning these nondoctors from owning them. Further there is no law to regulate them or shut them down about such breaches.
Pill City

Ocean Springs, MS

#12 May 10, 2009
painpainpain wrote:
i am sick of seeing all the people who get their minds and bodies destroyed by all these florida pain clinics. i am sick and tired of seeing all the patients get killed and families shattered. since the police and politicians can't seem to do anything about it maybe the public should take matters into their own hands. here is an idea: hold protests outside these clinics. here is another idea: detonate fireworks outside the clinic locations to attract public awareness to the problem.
After my sibling's death from overdose of legally prescibed pain medication,(2 doctors on his list prescribed oxycontin every 2 WEEKS until his death), I had hoped that there would be a serious crackdown on these pill pushers.
Then I started researching pain,(I have 3 debilitating permanent back injuries), after taking something for pain initially and after it wore off, the pain was magnified significantly.
We all have pain receptors in our brains. When we take these meds, they help release a "feel good" chemical in our brains. When the medication wears off, the pain is even more horrible than it was initially because those receptors are crying out for more "feel good" chemicals.
Of course, it is a lot more technical than that.
This is increased if the family has an addictive history.
It might sound horrible to do this, but I chose not to take pain pills. My orthopedic doctor said I would need to for the rest of my life.
I learned that pain is absorbed by the body eventually and you cannot feel it anymore.
You might have a lousy day and then realize it's the pain. But, you don't feel that horrific stab of pain anymore.
I swear by moist heating pads. They are wonderful and do the job.
I am not talking for people with RA or something like that. I am talking back pain.
I have whiplash, herniated disks and sciatica,(sp).
Sloburn

United States

#13 May 10, 2009
I'm sorry but I just don't get this fury over pain pills. It seems to me that almost every other country in the world has a much more relaxed attitude toward opium and its derivatives, they seem to be getting along nicely.

I know a man that is 85 and he keeps getting these surgeries so that he can get the pain pills. It just seems to me it would be simpler, and kinder to let him have them and then he wouldn't be having to nearly kill himself every six months.

It is his life, let him live it the way he wants.
John

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 May 10, 2009
"At those 100 clinics, 18 doctors — 18 percent — had been disciplined for professional violations or convicted of crimes, records show. By comparison, only about 4 percent of the 17,500 physicians in South Florida had been disciplined or convicted, according to 2008 records from the Florida Department of Health, which licenses doctors."

Does the person who wrote this article even begin to understand elementary mathematics? I'm wondering what the point really is. Eighteen percent of 100 is still eighteen. Four percent of 17,000 is 700. I would be a lot more alarmed about the 700 physicians overall who were disciplined or convicted than I would be about the 18 in the pain clinics.

I also don't get what the fuss is all about. According to the Joint Commission, which regulates best practices in 99% of US hospitals, pain is whatever a patient says it is. And physicians and nurses are ethically and legally obliged to provide safe and effective pain managements for all patients in their care. Pretty much every doctor prescribes pain medications---except, of course, for the ones whose licenses have state-imposed prescription restrictions. Why force tighter controls on the pain clinics and not the acute care ER and med surg areas in the big hospitals---which are the main places where most drug seeking addicts go to get their fixes legally?

Since: Apr 09

Homestead, FL

#15 May 10, 2009
Tea PARTY wrote:
T It would be better health-wise to use medical marijuana for this , but this option will not be availible in Florida for the next 15-20 years due to our redneck time warp .
Another racist comment on these boards. Your probably one of those who come wandering in the Pharmacy wanting 240 Roxi's, under 30 and of course want the "blue" ones so they can be crushed for a quick high. I would say 80% of the Roxi customers are faking their injuries. Most are under 30 and are ruining their lives for this drug. You guys really want to be hooked on Roxi's for the rest of your life? It's amazing how many kids are hooked on this now. Just look at the lines in these so called pain management offices. You never see any old people or cancer patients. Usually kids with phony MRI's. The time has come to stop this unnecessary prescribing. Most normal people get plenty of relief with 1 or 2 standard 5MG Percocet. Yet these kids are hooked on the equivalent of taking up to 12 Percocet 5's at one time. Way out of control. Yes some people need it but South Florida doesn't just happen to have thousands of so called "back pain" patients who need tons of Roxi's (and are under 30). And at an average of $1.50 to $2.00 a pill then turning and selling them up to $15.00 a piece, these so called patients are raking in a nice profit.$360.00, probably less for 240 Roxi's. Sell them all at $15.00 a piece and you make $3,600 bucks. Minus the Doctor visit these guys make about $3,000. And believe me they probably have 3-4 Doctors writing them this stuff. Who needs a job with that kind of profit.

Denial is a river that runs north in Egypt. Sorry for the people who REALLY need this med but the bad ones are ruining this for you.

“One never knows,do one?”

Since: Nov 07

Boston,Ma

#16 May 10, 2009
Florida is the wild wild west.Anything goes down there.
orlando becky

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#17 May 10, 2009
until you have chopped up and snorted OxyContin or equivalent, you have not lived.

A few stiff drinks and some lines and you are king of the world.

Prohibiting the sale of this kind of opportunity is wrong.

Since: Apr 07

Vero Beach, FL

#18 May 10, 2009
Pill City wrote:
<quoted text>
After my sibling's death from overdose of legally prescibed pain medication,(2 doctors on his list prescribed oxycontin every 2 WEEKS until his death), I had hoped that there would be a serious crackdown on these pill pushers.
Then I started researching pain,(I have 3 debilitating permanent back injuries), after taking something for pain initially and after it wore off, the pain was magnified significantly.
We all have pain receptors in our brains. When we take these meds, they help release a "feel good" chemical in our brains. When the medication wears off, the pain is even more horrible than it was initially because those receptors are crying out for more "feel good" chemicals.
Of course, it is a lot more technical than that.
This is increased if the family has an addictive history.
It might sound horrible to do this, but I chose not to take pain pills. My orthopedic doctor said I would need to for the rest of my life.
I learned that pain is absorbed by the body eventually and you cannot feel it anymore.
You might have a lousy day and then realize it's the pain. But, you don't feel that horrific stab of pain anymore.
I swear by moist heating pads. They are wonderful and do the job.
I am not talking for people with RA or something like that. I am talking back pain.
I have whiplash, herniated disks and sciatica,(sp).
If your pain is releived by moist heating pads, than the level of pain is not that high
davie resident

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#19 May 10, 2009
South florida has the highest amount of pain clinics in the United States. There are people that travel from all over the country to get their pills, but it's only the addicts that come here. The ones with real problems get their pills were they live. The addicts come down here because it's easy.

The real problem is the doctors that just want to make money instead of treating the patient. Unfortunately the bad doctors don't get convicted because of the ignorant public that think this is ok. Just read some of these posts and you will see.
Jack

Elmira, NY

#20 May 10, 2009
you should do a little research before running your mouth about doctors. they have doctors in every state, yet this is happening only in Florida. you know why:

In California, nondoctors are not permitted to open clinics. This is why California doesn't have such problems. This policy is clrearly stated on the California Medical Board website:
http://www.medbd.ca.gov/licensee/corporate_pr...

I know of one clinic in Wilton Manors. This was owned and operated by a nurse practitioner. He hired older and doctors with blemishes on their records to dispense narcotics. He was caught in 2005 by undercover cop exchanging pain pill for weed. He lost his nurse license, but yet was allowed to continue owning and running the clinic and the narcotics dispensary in there.
He now has another clinic in Brevard country doing the same thing.
The problem is that there is no law banning these nondoctors from owning them. Further there is no law to regulate them or shut them down about such breaches.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boca Raton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cyberspace jukebox (Sep '12) 8 hr YO VINNIE 1,137
Review: Lifescape Solutions (Apr '13) Tue remyrem 7
Trader Jacks on A1A (Aug '09) Mar 28 Curt 19
News Massage parlor a brothel, police say (May '07) Mar 27 NASH 175
Review: Travel Options Inc (Sep '11) Mar 26 frustrated 128
Review: Treatment Today Mar 26 Amy Williams 2
Review: Nspc Mar 25 Karla 1
More from around the web

Boca Raton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE