West Boca teen spared prison sentence...

West Boca teen spared prison sentence in drug case

There are 35 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jan 2, 2008, titled West Boca teen spared prison sentence in drug case. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Saying he was sticking his neck out for her, a Palm Beach County judge Wednesday gave a teenager her first big break of 2008, sentencing her for drug trafficking as a youthful offender to avoid "ruining her ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wondering

Boca Raton, FL

#22 Jan 3, 2008
She needs jail time. If you don't care at seventeen that drugs are illegal, you probably will never care. She will be a repeat offender.
If judges are going to let these kids off, it should be that if you break your probation, you will serve double time. That might make them think twice.
STUPID

Spartanburg, SC

#23 Jan 3, 2008
Judges these days make some of the poorest decisions when it comes to sentencing these criminals. Does he actually think that they only bad person she hangs around is her boyfriend. She has been hanging around burglars and has been stopped multiple times by police. (Check her records with neighboring police departments) She is useless and is a liar. When she kills a police officer because she doesnt want to go back to jail, then we will wonder why the judge let her go and why she was free to roam the streets.
Kathy

Boynton Beach, FL

#24 Jan 3, 2008
AnnoyingBocaWoman wrote:
<quoted text>

.......If she were in front of a female judge, she may not have walked that easily. The judge, on some level, either consciously or subconsciously, identified with and sympathized with this girl AND her family. Whereas, if he had a 17-year-old black male with braids and gold teeth, he would have had no such sympathy......
And you know all this how????
Baretta

Boca Raton, FL

#25 Jan 3, 2008
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time, don't do it! Unless of course you have lots of $ for a good attorney and/or can shake a sweetass for the judge.
AnnoyingBocaWoma n

Boca Raton, FL

#26 Jan 3, 2008
Kathy wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know all this how????
Do you read? I clearly stated that I am work in the legal field. I am an attorney and have been in front of this judge on numerous occassions. That is how I know.
Kathy

Boynton Beach, FL

#27 Jan 3, 2008
AnnoyingBocaWoman wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you read? I clearly stated that I am work in the legal field. I am an attorney and have been in front of this judge on numerous occassions. That is how I know.
Uhmm, yes, I do read. In your first post you insinuated that the judge was Italian and his decision based on sympathy for this girl because of her heritage, or jokingly, some mob connection.

The judge is a Cuban immigrant. For someone who claims to know him, it seems you know very little.
d-mac

Spartanburg, SC

#29 Jan 3, 2008
allie didnt mean to do it lol...and matt is really gay
AnnoyingBocaWoma n

Boca Raton, FL

#30 Jan 3, 2008
Kathy wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhmm, yes, I do read. In your first post you insinuated that the judge was Italian and his decision based on sympathy for this girl because of her heritage, or jokingly, some mob connection.
The judge is a Cuban immigrant. For someone who claims to know him, it seems you know very little.
First of all, he is half-Italian. Get your facts straight before you speak. My comment was made tongue-in-cheek, but sarcasm is wasted on the witless, I suppose. Either way you slice it, this defendant was given preferential treatment. I have seen first time-offenders in Labargaís courtroom sentenced to far worse. And you can bet youíre a_s_s itís because they werenít pretty little white girls. Please, just keep wearing those rose-colored glasses as you continue to stumble through life. The world needs more Pollyannas.
look how we judge

Spartanburg, SC

#31 Jan 3, 2008
Sell Drugs wrote:
All kids should deal drugs to each other. Lets make this a big drug party at the public schools. The kids deserve to have their lives mess up if the go to public schools, their parents really do not give a hoot about them anyways. Kinky sex and drugs and nothing will ever happen to you. The illegal drug business is very profitable and the Boca kids have lots of their parents money to buy them with. Severino was voted "most likely to succeed".
Look how we judge! Oh, she's from west Boca and has money. Dad's a lawyer or doctor. Truth is, Dad's a mechanic, There has'nt been a Mother for over 10 yrs, though she's still alive. Alexandria came to west boca 3 yrs ago w/ her Dad so he could help his friend with his business, funny thing is they came from NY where she was never in trouble or did drugs it took Boca to do that, and her father agrees,too much money and too little discipline. It cost that man more years than anyone could imagine, not to mention the money to try and help his daughter. The only person that helped was judge Labarga and for that my family and I are forever grateful. We've known Alexandria since she was 7 yrs old, you could'nt want a better kid and her father did one helluva job as a single parent juggling a demanding job and ALWAYS caring for his daughter. So please stop spewing your nonsense, her downward spiral took place over months...not years, nobody knows how she tutored kids, was a lifeguard, worked at summer camp. Bad tings happen to good people,and then sometimes good things happen to good people gone bad.Thank you Judge Labarga.

“In Witness Protection Program”

Since: Dec 07

Classified: Fake ISP

#32 Jan 3, 2008
I agree with many of the comments here. She is a White Female from Boca Raton and that sentence surely would have been different if that were not the case. She should have gone to jail.

I stated this in another post, but in 2000, according to the US Justice Dept. 34.6 of all felony conviction in the US were drug offenses. That does not include the crimes such as robberies, burglaries, etc, which go along with the drug offenses.

If a person gets caught using drugs for the first time, then yes, sentence them to probation and rehab if needed, but NOT THE DEALER.

If you get rid of the supply, surely the demand will go down, which is why they need to send a message to the drug dealers by giving them minimum mandatory sentences. End of story. But of course we will always have the bleeding heart judges.

Until they start sending drug dealers to prison for a long time, you will not see the crime rate go down period.

If drugs weren't such a big problem in our society, could you imagine how much the crime rate would drop?
Mel

Pompano Beach, FL

#33 Jan 3, 2008
look how we judge wrote:
<quoted text>Look how we judge! Oh, she's from west Boca and has money. Dad's a lawyer or doctor. Truth is, Dad's a mechanic, There has'nt been a Mother for over 10 yrs, though she's still alive. Alexandria came to west boca 3 yrs ago w/ her Dad so he could help his friend with his business, funny thing is they came from NY where she was never in trouble or did drugs it took Boca to do that, and her father agrees,too much money and too little discipline. It cost that man more years than anyone could imagine, not to mention the money to try and help his daughter. The only person that helped was judge Labarga and for that my family and I are forever grateful. We've known Alexandria since she was 7 yrs old, you could'nt want a better kid and her father did one helluva job as a single parent juggling a demanding job and ALWAYS caring for his daughter. So please stop spewing your nonsense, her downward spiral took place over months...not years, nobody knows how she tutored kids, was a lifeguard, worked at summer camp. Bad tings happen to good people,and then sometimes good things happen to good people gone bad.Thank you Judge Labarga.
There it is.......... this seems like the truth. Does not matter the color, non-violent juvenile drug offenders usually do not see any jail or prison time.
look how we judge

Spartanburg, SC

#34 Jan 3, 2008
Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Kathy, I tend to agree with them. They are not saying anything about her necessarily, but more the circumstances. She is a white female and that worked in her favor. I am a white female and don't think the law should 'favor' any one.
tell the black dude to take his gold teeth "grille" out before court...how did they afford them anyway, mugging, robbery, burglary?
We all know everyone in the hood has money, we just don't know how

“In Witness Protection Program”

Since: Dec 07

Classified: Fake ISP

#35 Jan 4, 2008
Kathy wrote:
There's a lot of cold hearted posters here and a real lack of knowledge of drug addiction. I sounds like this girl was being used to deliver drugs. The pusher is the more important target and she agreed to help take him off the street. She has also been in treatment according to the article. And she was 17 at the time of the arrest.
There is nothing in this article to indicate her family has money. There are plenty of areas in West Boca that are lower income - lots of assumptions being made here about her, her family and the judge with nothing to back any of it up.
The judge deserves the benefit of the doubt here and the girl deserves a chance to get back on track. If she gets caught using again, send her to jail. At her age, there's a good opportinity for her to change her life. Everyone deserves a second chance.
Obviously, there is always more to a case than what's written in a newspaper article. And not being personally involved in a case, we can't know all of the evidence there is in a case from an article.

Addiction is a big problem throughout our society. However, not everyone who is arrested for drugs is addicted. But defense attorney's will always say that the defendant has an addiction, even if they don't, in an effort to make his client appear a victim. That's there job, to get their client off. I'm not saying that she doesn't have an addiction. But the bottom line in doing drugs is against the law. If someone is arrested for doing drugs and no one was injured as in a car crash or a child being neglected, etc., then yes sentence that person to probation and rehab if needed.

But dealing drugs? I don't feel we should have any tolerance for that.

More often than not many defendant violates again and again by using drug they are put back on probation instead of jail.

The system is just not working.

“Yes, it's Steve”

Since: Jun 07

Wellington

#36 Jan 5, 2008
Amazing what money and probably a BJ does in the justice system
charlie greggs

Lake Worth, FL

#37 Feb 3, 2012
haha! what's really funny about all your dumb ass comments is that they're all wrong. i grew up in west boca and allie is a good friend of mine. and shes doing GREAT. still clean and sober, about to complete probation.. matter of fact, she's THE model for recovering addicts. yall can eat a dick. haters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boca Raton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pompano Beach: Boy, 6, dies from injuries in tw... (Aug '07) Thu fyi 28
cyberspace jukebox (Sep '12) Thu YO VINNIE 1,408
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Jun '16) Mar 19 lexi 64
I would love to move there! Mar 18 Jane 1
News Parking ticket spoils day at Lauderdale-By-The-... (Mar '08) Mar 17 Brett 36
Jeanne Partridge Mar 17 Just Another Pilot 1
Court Clerks Accepts Counterfited Police Letter... Mar 16 Court Clerks Acce... 1

Boca Raton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Boca Raton Mortgages