Comments
1 - 20 of 143 Comments Last updated Oct 6, 2013
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

United States

#1 Oct 12, 2008
Okay, No sarcasm or wise cracks please, I fixed my dog some fresh water this morning, she was out in the back yard. She stays in the house everynight. She had been out about two hours and was fine when I left my home to go eat and buy some groceries. When I returned about three hours later she was dead. There was one place where she had thrown up some diluted blood. Not another spot anywhere. I found her curled up in a large plastic tub like what you make a water garden with. It was dry and empty and she just crawled in there and died. She was bleeding from her mouth. No signs of anything being wrong when I left. The vet said she may have been poisoned or had an anurysm. It was just so fast. Just wondered if anyone else has ever had a pet do this. I feel so angry. I cannot believe someone would poison someones dog in their own back yard. If this is what truely happened I hope they suffer some day just like my sweet dog did. Please dont tell me I should have had her in the house. She did not stay out all the time and was well cared for. Just wondered if anyone else ever had a dog die this way.
p_2pd

United States

#2 Oct 12, 2008
Guest wrote:
Okay, No sarcasm or wise cracks please, I fixed my dog some fresh water this morning, she was out in the back yard. She stays in the house everynight. She had been out about two hours and was fine when I left my home to go eat and buy some groceries. When I returned about three hours later she was dead. There was one place where she had thrown up some diluted blood. Not another spot anywhere. I found her curled up in a large plastic tub like what you make a water garden with. It was dry and empty and she just crawled in there and died. She was bleeding from her mouth. No signs of anything being wrong when I left. The vet said she may have been poisoned or had an anurysm. It was just so fast. Just wondered if anyone else has ever had a pet do this. I feel so angry. I cannot believe someone would poison someones dog in their own back yard. If this is what truely happened I hope they suffer some day just like my sweet dog did. Please dont tell me I should have had her in the house. She did not stay out all the time and was well cared for. Just wondered if anyone else ever had a dog die this way.
I am soo sorry for your loss. I have only had one dog in my life, and he's still alive. So I can't shed any light on what could have happened, just wanted to extend my sympathy.

United States

#3 Oct 12, 2008
p_2pd wrote:
<quoted text>
I am soo sorry for your loss. I have only had one dog in my life, and he's still alive. So I can't shed any light on what could have happened, just wanted to extend my sympathy.
Thank you!

Hot Springs National Park, AR

#4 Oct 12, 2008
Oh my gosh I am so sorry that you lost your dog! I would be devastated! If you can bring yourself to it some vets do offer to do an autopsy to see if they can find the cause. Did you have any type of mouse or rat poison in or around your house? Maybe another animal carrying the poison made it in to your yard? I know my puppies want nothing more than to play with dead birds. I am so sorry for your loss and hope you find out what happened!

United States

#5 Oct 12, 2008
guest wrote:
Oh my gosh I am so sorry that you lost your dog! I would be devastated! If you can bring yourself to it some vets do offer to do an autopsy to see if they can find the cause. Did you have any type of mouse or rat poison in or around your house? Maybe another animal carrying the poison made it in to your yard? I know my puppies want nothing more than to play with dead birds. I am so sorry for your loss and hope you find out what happened!
It is so strange, there is nothing in the yard. Just the one place where she threw up and then about 20 feet away the place we found her. We checked every inch of the yard. Not even any bloody drool from where she got sick to where she died. It is the strangest things. She was only six months old and the sweetest smartest dog. The vet told me to hold her here till morning and he would do an autopsy. It is so expensive but I just really want to know. I have cried all day wondering what could have happened in such a short time. She was fine when we left.

Hot Springs National Park, AR

#6 Oct 12, 2008
Again I am so sorry. It could have been something congenital too...you never know. I don't blame you one bit for spending the money on the autopsy. I would have to know too. My heart goes out to you!
Comment

Little Rock, AR

#7 Oct 12, 2008
Maybe it was heartworms. So sorry about your loss.
Animal Lover

United States

#8 Oct 13, 2008
I am so sorry for your loss.It is always hard to deal with the loss of a pet a true friend. We lost our little dog 2 weeks ago a car ran him over. He was a house pet and got out and someone purposely hit him. We found him laying on the grass on the side of the road you could even see the tire marks. He was part of our faimly the past 8 years. Maybe someone poisoned your dog. I would have the autopsy and find out. That way it will help you deal with the loss better knowing what happened to your loved pet. Again I am sorry for your loss.
My experience

Little Rock, AR

#9 Oct 13, 2008
I had a dog that suddenly got very sick. The vet wasn't sure what was wrong. He mentioned that she may have been poisoned. He asked if she could have got into some antifreeze.(not possible) I took her to another vet for a 2nd opinion. He looked at her and said that he thought she had heartworms. He tested her and he was right! He told me to take the test result back to my vet.(He was very irritated and said that any vet should have been able to make that diagnosis. Just so you know, she was on heartworm preventative! She was treated but was still in and out of the vet for 2 years before she died.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, don't start getting angry thinking that someone poisoned your dog. Chances are that something else happened. Sorry for your loss!
narrry

United States

#10 Oct 13, 2008
I am so sorry for your loss. Did you know about a dog food recall? There was one a few weeks ago. I read about it on msn. There have been alot of sick dogs lately. I think it has something to do with this. The last pet food recall was all over the news and newspapers this one i only read one article and that was it. My vet didn't even know about it. I know the a few of the dog food recalled and they were pedigree and ol roy. There was also cat food special kitty. I think the reason was salmonella which untreated probaly could be fatal. Please if your dog was eating one of these look into it. And don't throw away the bag or take it to the store keep it just in case.
sorry

Dexter, MO

#11 Oct 13, 2008
have you considered maybe parvo(i dont know if i spelled that right) but it is very deadly for a puppy!! i bought a puppy once about 5 months old and he started lying around and throwing up blood which is unusual for a puppy to lye around and not play, which this was all within a few hours so i knew something was wrong and i took him to dr. cato and by the time i got there my dog was bleeding out his butt. he told me that he would keep him over night but he knew my dog had parvo!! my dog died within an hour and he wouldn't give me my dog back so i could bury him!! i thought that was sorry of him but he said that it was very deadly to other animals.. so, you may watch out because your backyard may have parvo in it!!
Jodi

United States

#12 Oct 13, 2008
OMG...you said Ol Roy, which Ol Roy are you talking about. Is it the bag or the can?

Friendship, AR

#13 Oct 13, 2008
i had 2 puppies die all of a sudden and the vet told me they were poisened they were 8 months old and the vet said it was from a cotton defoiliant that had probably been sprayed in the air from a plane and drifted into their pen and got into their water it was in their toxicology report

“DILLIGAF?”

Since: Apr 08

Not Here

#14 Oct 13, 2008
A necropsy should shed some light on what caused it. I too had a dog die suddenly, not quite the same way, but suddenly. She swelled up to twice her normal size, overnight, and then died before we could get her to a vet.

Jodi, you can find some info about the recall here:

http://www.petcare.mars.com/

Hope it helps

Friendship, AR

#15 Oct 13, 2008
the poison was called temic if i spelled it correctly
narrry

United States

#16 Oct 13, 2008
I believe bag not sure please check into it. It is so scary. You never know what is safe anymore.

“Im Tony Montana”

Since: Feb 08

Manila ,You Cockroach

#17 Oct 13, 2008
I am sorry to hear about your dog,But i doubt it was poisoning or heartworms.With heartworms 99% of the time you will see signs and if it all took place within a cpl of hours i dont see it being poisoning mainly because dogs have a strong system.Dont get me wrong you can poison them as with any animal just it would have to be a very strong poison to kill them that quick.I would look more at it being an aneurysm.Another sign of it being poison or heartworms is if you had water in the yard for her.If you did then chances are you would have found the animal close to the water,If there was no water in the yard then that might of been why you found her in the water tub,possible it could have been a heart attack,I hope you find the answer and please let us know what happen..
narrry

United States

#18 Oct 13, 2008
I can tell you this so many dogs are sick lately something is up!!! I know of twelve dogs being taken to a vets office yesterday alone. If this stuff they are spraying is causing it they need to stop!!! What is it doing to us??
Jodi

United States

#19 Oct 13, 2008
Too Funny wrote:
A necropsy should shed some light on what caused it. I too had a dog die suddenly, not quite the same way, but suddenly. She swelled up to twice her normal size, overnight, and then died before we could get her to a vet.
Jodi, you can find some info about the recall here:
http://www.petcare.mars.com/
Hope it helps
Thanks...I'll check it out.

Little Rock, AR

#20 Oct 13, 2008
JoMama wrote:
I am sorry to hear about your dog,But i doubt it was poisoning or heartworms.With heartworms 99% of the time you will see signs and if it all took place within a cpl of hours i dont see it being poisoning mainly because dogs have a strong system.Dont get me wrong you can poison them as with any animal just it would have to be a very strong poison to kill them that quick.I would look more at it being an aneurysm.Another sign of it being poison or heartworms is if you had water in the yard for her.If you did then chances are you would have found the animal close to the water,If there was no water in the yard then that might of been why you found her in the water tub,possible it could have been a heart attack,I hope you find the answer and please let us know what happen..
I ddont think it was heartworms, she was only 51/2 months old and it was so sudden I was not sure about poison. It is just so upsetting. I went ahead and let them do an autopsy. I just have to know what happened so quickly. She was not a big chewer but did chew some things. Something may have damaged her stomach. I will let everyone know.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blytheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 1 hr speller feller 29,660
how much money do welfare mothers get per child (Jan '11) 2 hr natalie 1,241
Kenny an Tina 3 hr Norman 9
Blytheville Schools drug testing for extra curr... 4 hr Blytheville P 7
This town is a war zone 4 hr Biker trash 21
Sassy flea market 6 hr cool girl 5
football player 7 hr Ahhh 36
nucor affairs 10 hr BGG 19
Donny Cook Thu Guest 11
•••