Blytheville kids going to Armorel School

Posted in the Blytheville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
confused

United States

#1 Jan 8, 2013
My daughter is in the 2nd grade at Armorel. One of her little friends told her that she lived in Blytheville and could not have a sleep over because her mom said people would find out she is not in the school district. Why is it such a big deal where the children go to school as long as they are being educated?

Since: Jan 13

Porter, TX

#2 Jan 8, 2013
schools get government funding based on the amount of students attending. more kids, more money.
did it for years

Mabelvale, AR

#3 Jan 8, 2013
shool knew about it.
other kids & parents knew too.
didn't want my chidren getting a ghetto education.
boats and planes heading to africa dailey if your not satisfied with the status quo.
nat turner

Dallas, TX

#4 Jan 8, 2013
did it for years wrote:
shool knew about it.
other kids & parents knew too.
didn't want my chidren getting a ghetto education.
boats and planes heading to africa dailey if your not satisfied with the status quo.
Or a farming education.....

Baton Rouge, LA

#5 Jan 8, 2013
Love Armorel!
Sad

Baton Rouge, LA

#6 Jan 8, 2013
There are about 4 people who care!

Baton Rouge, LA

#7 Jan 8, 2013
My kids go to Armorel! I knew a few kids that didn't live out here, but I could care less I understand why they do it!

North Little Rock, AR

#8 Jan 8, 2013
So the rules only apply to the rest of us while the school turns their heads for a few?

Since: Jan 13

Porter, TX

#9 Jan 8, 2013
i know that when i went to school there we had about 6 kids that shipped back to blytheville where they lived. it was a big deal then. but that was 13 years ago.
Hmm

United States

#10 Jan 8, 2013
My child goes to school at armorel.. I live in Blytheville but her dad lives in armorel. I don't really see the big deal where you want to send your child .

Blytheville, AR

#11 Jan 8, 2013
Like the people that own the construction company? I can't remember the name. there working on a house now but still don't live out there!! Just depends on who you are!!
Law

Gilmer, TX

#12 Jan 8, 2013
It is a big deal because of school attendance laws. They will probably change soon, but for now students must attend the district where they reside unless they qualify for school choice. School choice regulations specify that certain districts cannot enroll out of district students based on race. Everybody doesn't like it, but it is the law that Armorel cannot accept white students from Blytheville because of the racial population of both districts. It has been happening for a long time and some people are caught and made to return and others are allowed to stay. There are people on both sides that get fighting mad about the issue. I hope the state legislature comes up with a workable solution that will be the best for all school districts and all children.

United States

#13 Jan 8, 2013
Children should be able to go to a high performing school no matter race!

Blytheville, AR

#14 Jan 8, 2013
Guest wrote:
Children should be able to go to a high performing school no matter race!
There is a simple solution...MOVE to Armorel! Or if your kid is a good athlete the school they want to attend will find a way to break the rules. Gosnell does, so does Bay, AR.
Armorel

Blytheville, AR

#15 Jan 8, 2013
We lived 6 miles closer to Armorel school than Blytheville school and talked to both and Armorel would take our kid if Blytheville would release them (even though he didn't go to Blytheville) but do to the segragation law in place from years back Blytheville could not release him unless he was of black heritage. All Arkansas school districts were rezoned except a couple and Blytheville was one bc of the segragation. We finally bought a house in the district, and still had to show all utility bills and that we were on the deed.

United States

#16 Jan 8, 2013
nat turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Or a farming education.....
WTF?
Disgusted

United States

#17 Jan 8, 2013
Armorel wrote:
We lived 6 miles closer to Armorel school than Blytheville school and talked to both and Armorel would take our kid if Blytheville would release them (even though he didn't go to Blytheville) but do to the segragation law in place from years back Blytheville could not release him unless he was of black heritage. All Arkansas school districts were rezoned except a couple and Blytheville was one bc of the segragation. We finally bought a house in the district, and still had to show all utility bills and that we were on the deed.
If ur black u can go wherever u want.
Tell me

United States

#18 Jan 8, 2013
I would like someone to tell me how a home schooled child is allowed to participate in sports at a public school? If they do not attend the school, they should not play. If you want your child to be a part of a public school's athletic team, then send them to school there. The curriculum and learning environment isn't good enough for your kid but the athletic program is? Tell me how this scenario is fair. It's NOT.

Blytheville, AR

#19 Jan 9, 2013
Tell me wrote:
I would like someone to tell me how a home schooled child is allowed to participate in sports at a public school? If they do not attend the school, they should not play. If you want your child to be a part of a public school's athletic team, then send them to school there. The curriculum and learning environment isn't good enough for your kid but the athletic program is? Tell me how this scenario is fair. It's NOT.
I didn't know kids could. I like that idea!

United States

#20 Jan 9, 2013
People want to send their children where they get a good education and feel safe! no private schools left! I know people who moved and built houses and they still talked about them and true to give them trouble about their kids!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blytheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What do you have on 37 min The illustrious p... 10
City Manager is needed 1 hr Citizen 17
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 1 hr Reality Check 41,454
Dr. Cato (Sep '11) 2 hr dog 35
Proof leadership changes are needed 2 hr Judge More Roy 32
Mayor 7 hr Guest 13
Code. Enforcement 9 hr Guest 11

Blytheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance