Blytheville area schools safe

Blytheville area schools safe

Posted in the Blytheville Forum

Loving Proud Parent

Benton, AR

#1 Dec 17, 2012
Are they safe? Can that terrible thing happen here?

I know we have a BPD cop on duty at Blytheville but is that enough?

My hope is the Mayor will address this at a public meeting. We need our leader to step forward and tell us he is going to work to keep our children safe. He should do like my President did and go on channel 21 and tell us it will be ok to take the kids to school.

It would help ease all the parents to know Mayor Sanders is aware of the risk to our kids.

Thank you for letting me speak on this public forum.

God Bless our children.
Old man Bville

Manila, AR

#2 Dec 17, 2012
Just recently, There was a shooting "on the way home from school". My guess is that the student had the gun all day at school.

Jonesboro, AR

#3 Dec 17, 2012
Old man Bville wrote:
Just recently, There was a shooting "on the way home from school". My guess is that the student had the gun all day at school.
And instead of guessing if you had listened (or read) to the facts you would have known that the student wasn't in school that day. So NO he was not in school with the gun all day. Not saying that it couldn't have happened but in this case it didn't.
BHS Grad

Blytheville, AR

#4 Dec 17, 2012
Loving Proud Parent wrote:
Are they safe? Can that terrible thing happen here?
I know we have a BPD cop on duty at Blytheville but is that enough?
My hope is the Mayor will address this at a public meeting. We need our leader to step forward and tell us he is going to work to keep our children safe. He should do like my President did and go on channel 21 and tell us it will be ok to take the kids to school.
It would help ease all the parents to know Mayor Sanders is aware of the risk to our kids.
Thank you for letting me speak on this public forum.
God Bless our children.
The Blytheville School District encompasses areas outside the city limits. It has an elected board. The city of Blytheville has no role in the administration of the district. That includes the mayor. I am sure Mayor Sanders, having been a law enforement officer for many years, is well aware of the risks. I highly doubt a speech will help mitigate those risks.
Loving Proud Parent

Benton, AR

#5 Dec 17, 2012
But President Obama got involved why cant Mayor Sanders
A Student

Benton, AR

#6 Dec 17, 2012
I think if he (mayor sanders)were to get on TV and bug his eyes as far as he can (and boy can he)that any bad guys would be to scared to go to our schools and cause problems.
Get involved

Manila, AR

#7 Dec 17, 2012
One thing I do know about Blytheville Schools is that safety is one of their primary concerns. They do practice lockdown drills. I worked at one of the surrounding schools for several years and we never practiced a lockdown drill. If I were a parent I would ask what are your procedures if an intruder enters the schools? If there was a lockdown and the school was evacuated, where is the safe place (church, fire station etc..)? Sandy Brook students knew to go to the fire station close by. That way parents know where to go and find their children. Would parents be notified by phone that there is a schoool shooting? Above all else, don't complain when you are asked to check into the office first before going to your child's classroom, etc. I have seen so many parents get angry when they are not allowed to enter the building because they don't have a pass. The school is only trying to protect your child. It is sad that Sandy Brook Elementary did everything right. I don't know if you can really stop someone who breaks in, but they practiced lockdown drills. The principal had the awareness to turn on the intercom to warm everyone. Many more would have been killed if they hadn't put things in place for such a thing.

Harrisburg, AR

#8 Dec 17, 2012
Obama took advantage of a photo op...period.
"Alligator," No tears are shed from the outer corners of a persons eyes when they are in an upright position.
Stupid

Manila, AR

#9 Dec 17, 2012
Guest wrote:
"Alligator," No tears are shed from the outer corners of a persons eyes when they are in an upright position.
Are you kidding me? Is that all your getting from this tragedy. You may not like the man, but that is just stupid. If he wanted it to be a picture opportunity, he would have let the media in when he met with the family. Now, some pictures were released by family who were there and that is their right. This is not the time to put down the president. This is a time to come together for real solutions on how to better protect our children. The attitude you have is just the reason why nothing is ever solved.

Trumann, AR

#10 Dec 17, 2012
Atwill will save the day. I mean, he's God and all isn't he? At least the school board thinks so.
SChool parent

United States

#11 Dec 17, 2012
Guest wrote:
You are a idiiot and most likely a racist to. And know what side of the political fence you are on . I'm sure if G. Bush got up there he would be your hero .

United States

#12 Dec 17, 2012
Sure most schools practice those drills, and the teachers know what they are supposed to do, but it wont do any good with the students that think of it as a joke. Most kids act like idiots when these drills take place. They run down the halls knocking others down or pushing them over during fire drills. With lock downs they are screaming, wrestling around, and acting out. There usually is nothing organized about them, because the students get to acting crazy. They look at these drills as just a break from classwork. A lot of frustration for the teachers, a party for the students.
So it wont do any good to train the teachers when parents dont train their kids to take it seriously.
Eye chart

United States

#13 Dec 17, 2012
How does sanders make his eyes bug outthat far without them
Popping out of his head
Stump

Lake City, AR

#14 Dec 17, 2012
Old man Bville wrote:
Wrong guess.
teacher

Paragould, AR

#15 Dec 18, 2012
BHS Grad wrote:
<quoted text>
The Blytheville School District encompasses areas outside the city limits. It has an elected board. The city of Blytheville has no role in the administration of the district. That includes the mayor. I am sure Mayor Sanders, having been a law enforement officer for many years, is well aware of the risks. I highly doubt a speech will help mitigate those risks.
No school can guarantee you your kids are safe. Any mad man can shoot his way in and especially when they are so mentally ill that they do not care if they die, what can the schools do. The only thing to do is to allow the administrators to carry weapons to try to get the intruder before he gets to the kids.
teacher

Paragould, AR

#16 Dec 18, 2012
Guest wrote:
Sure most schools practice those drills, and the teachers know what they are supposed to do, but it wont do any good with the students that think of it as a joke. Most kids act like idiots when these drills take place. They run down the halls knocking others down or pushing them over during fire drills. With lock downs they are screaming, wrestling around, and acting out. There usually is nothing organized about them, because the students get to acting crazy. They look at these drills as just a break from classwork. A lot of frustration for the teachers, a party for the students.
So it wont do any good to train the teachers when parents dont train their kids to take it seriously.
Anyone who tells you that your kids are completely safe at school are not being truthful. Schools have plans to lock down and do their best to protect children, but when the intruder has a weapon, what chance do they have. Even withp police officers on staff, these insane idiots can kill the police first then go for the kids. No guarantees can be given, but mearsures can be taken to do as much as possible and that is what schools do.
teacher

Paragould, AR

#17 Dec 18, 2012
guest wrote:
Atwill will save the day. I mean, he's God and all isn't he? At least the school board thinks so.
He will be hiding in a closet.
Blytheville sucks

Trumann, AR

#18 Dec 24, 2012
No it is the worst school i ever went to

United States

#19 Dec 25, 2012
I thought the schools were good until I moved to a high performing district! I was wrong! It was night and day difference! I am not trashing the school but it doesn't hold a candle to the quality of education my children are receiving! I do think they are trying but I had been kidding myself and I am glad I made the move! I hope they can Improve they have a lot of obstacles!

Little Rock, AR

#20 Dec 25, 2012
Eye chart wrote:
How does sanders make his eyes bug outthat far without them
Popping out of his head
his eyes do that when he is speaking with GOD or when GOD is telling him something

GOD talks to him all the time

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blytheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 2 min Reality Check 37,448
News Little Custom Homes coming to Blytheville 3 min press 49
Baseball Complex (Apr '08) 25 min Taxpayer 236
way to go atwell 1 hr Guest 6
brandon cox (Jan '14) 1 hr Lana 7
Looking for Lisa Thomas 5 hr Curious 3
News Nucor Corp. Plans New $230M Mill at Blytheville... 6 hr Steel in the know 15

Blytheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blytheville Mortgages