More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.
Comments
8,101 - 8,120 of 9,875 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#8677 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>How old are you 48?
I'm old enough to not want to answer that.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8678 Feb 3, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you are wrong. You need to give animals more credit. They are not as stupid as people think they are.
Spike knows me from other humans. You should see her scurry up the tree when my neighbors come outside. They are far enough that she can't see them clearly through the trees, but she knows they are there because she hears them. Same thing when the meter reader comes around. Or other visitors. She hides well and keeps her young hidden when danger approaches.
She just seems to know that I won't harm her though. I've had plenty of opportunities to do so, but I haven't. She recognizes that fact. That may be why she has chosen to keep coming back to my yard with her babies each spring.
Unfortunately, the nearby highway will claim her before any human will. There aren't many people that live on my street. Most of those who do are animal friendly.
"Now that you have condtioned this coon to not fear humans"
I did not do any conditioning here. I simply noticed while filling my feeders and photographing birds a few years ago that she didn't show much fear of me.
When I was a kid I had a pet racoon, his name was racky. I do not recommend wild animals for pets. Do that coon a favor and run it out of your yard..
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8679 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
We like walking along railroad tracks looking for stuff. My brother especially enjoys that. If only I could talk him into taking a trip out there, he would have a blast!
This area has been inhabited for over 11,000 years. I like when the wind blows hard because that means the sand dunes have shifted a little uncovering their hidden treasures.

SE Michigan

#8680 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>That's called protecting your investment otherwise known as making a living!
Eventually I will make my living with nature photography. A great photo of a bird could possibly bring in thousands of dollars. But I would never endanger the life or well-being of the bird to get that rare shot. I'd rather be broke than live with myself knowing I caused a death in order to make money.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8681 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Eventually I will make my living with nature photography. A great photo of a bird could possibly bring in thousands of dollars. But I would never endanger the life or well-being of the bird to get that rare shot. I'd rather be broke than live with myself knowing I caused a death in order to make money.
Killing is not for the faint hearted. Killing is necessary for the survival of this Nation. Death and Money, how ironic........

SE Michigan

#8682 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>When I was a kid I had a pet racoon, his name was racky. I do not recommend wild animals for pets. Do that coon a favor and run it out of your yard..
Though I named her Spike, she is not a pet. I would not have a wild animal for a pet either. They deserve to be free. But why would I want to run her and her young out of the yard during summer when I know they are safe and have ready access to fresh water, food and shelter? It's her choice to be here just as much as it's the choice of the cardinals to nest in the shrubs next to the house.

I would never stress myself out trying to chase an animal out of my yard. Too Many people are consumed with that. That's because they are often uneducated about them. I'm trying to change that. I just provide what wildlife needs to survive, then sit back, watch and enjoy it. Then I present what I learn to others.
Gina

Cabot, AR

#8683 Feb 3, 2013
Seeing lots of geese no blackbirds though.

SE Michigan

#8684 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Killing is not for the faint hearted. Killing is necessary for the survival of this Nation. Death and Money, how ironic........
Killing out of greed for money is not for the average decent human.

SE Michigan

#8685 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>This area has been inhabited for over 11,000 years. I like when the wind blows hard because that means the sand dunes have shifted a little uncovering their hidden treasures.
It would be fun to search after a windstorm. Another activity to put on my list.

SE Michigan

#8686 Feb 3, 2013
I had a friend who used to manage El Morro Natl Monument. Have you ever been there?
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8687 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
After working and paying into ss all your life, you are NOT a parasite by taking what was STOLEN from you against your will in the first place.
Your blood pressure might be good, but waking up every two hours is not normal, unless you're a woman in menopause.
Im probably going through Male menopause? I have night sweats! I set the alarm every two hours so as to get up and check on the lambing ewes. back in the day. My wife got up every two hours to breast feed our children. Ive been hard at work since daylight. firewood fixing fence feeding livestock. My wife took care of the sheep. If In never draw a penny from the social security ponzi scheme thats ok. my parents paid very little and drew over $300,000. they only let you earn $14,000 before they penalize ya. Ive made that much in a month.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8688 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Killing is not for the faint hearted. Killing is necessary for the survival of this Nation. Death and Money, how ironic........
Some folks are killers and some aint. when this whole economic & social nightmare goes south the killers will have a big advantage. Being self reliant and having Know How is much better than hoarding bunkers full of stuff. That hoarded prepper stuff will just make you a targret for bad folks . Or maybe the guvermint to confinscate it and redistrubute it(because they have more than their fair share).
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8689 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Being debt free is good but won't mean a hill of beans if you can't properly defend yourself when the time comes. This country is on the verge of collapse anyways. Most are just too stupid to see it coming.
I think there not stupid. I think its a denialist cant face the facts & truth core concept. greater nations than the USA have bit the dust its not inconceivable that the USA is in decline and fading fast. Deep in debt. too many taking parasites too few producing makers. And add a few more big clatyclismic earth change events and it all falls apart.Im not in fear of it. I know Ill lose everything Ive worked for and im debt free. I prefer to look at it as a new adventure. What more exciting time to be alive on the earth than at the end of an age earth change. Ill probably not survive but I will embrace the journey. Its likely divine intervention will be at play and most will get just exactly what they get& get exactly what they deserve. I hope so anyway.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#8690 Feb 3, 2013
He's a bird he's a plane has anyone seen bird?

SE Michigan

#8691 Feb 3, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Im probably going through Male menopause? I have night sweats! I set the alarm every two hours so as to get up and check on the lambing ewes. back in the day. My wife got up every two hours to breast feed our children. Ive been hard at work since daylight. firewood fixing fence feeding livestock. My wife took care of the sheep. If In never draw a penny from the social security ponzi scheme thats ok. my parents paid very little and drew over $300,000. they only let you earn $14,000 before they penalize ya. Ive made that much in a month.
Make sure what you make is in cash and don't report it. It's none of their business anyway. Your labor, your money.
curios

United States

#8692 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>Make sure what you make is in cash and don't report it. It's none of their business anyway. Your labor, your money.
Exactly
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8693 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Make sure what you make is in cash and don't report it. It's none of their business anyway. Your labor, your money.
Im more afraid of the IRS than someonewith a gun or a lawyer. I report all income and pay my taxes. I do buy heavily in the fall to reduce income. and resell in the spring to recoup the money. Its just kicking the income down the road to the next year. Last year the drought caused a loss on the row crops. and the sales lot just swapped nickles. the scrap iron & rental property made a good profit. So I bought a big scrap inventory & enough materals to build another storage rental building.

SE Michigan

#8694 Feb 3, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Im more afraid of the IRS than someonewith a gun or a lawyer. I report all income and pay my taxes. I do buy heavily in the fall to reduce income. and resell in the spring to recoup the money. Its just kicking the income down the road to the next year. Last year the drought caused a loss on the row crops. and the sales lot just swapped nickles. the scrap iron & rental property made a good profit. So I bought a big scrap inventory & enough materals to build another storage rental building.
I hear ya about the IRS. The problem is SOOOO many people make income that they don't pay taxes on. Why would they single you out?Look at all the people who do odd jobs for cash. Everything from babysitting to mowing lawns, to cleaning houses, to computer repair, to car repair, to drug dealers and prostitutes.

I think if the government really wanted to bring in tax revenue, and make the system fair for everybody, they would make a flat sales tax so everyone would pay their share. No matter how you make your money, you would pay anytime you made a purchase. This way nobody would feel left out. The richer you are, the more you buy, the more you pay.

SE Michigan

#8695 Feb 3, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> they only let you earn $14,000 before they penalize ya. Ive made that much in a month.
Hmmmmmm. We need to talk!
Is there a way to do that without killing animals?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8696 Feb 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Killing out of greed for money is not for the average decent human.
We send our children to foreign places everyday to kill for a paycheck in the name of America. We don't pay them much and they still follow orders.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blytheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I went to Sonic today... 17 min what had happened... 15
Sorry Mothers 19 min Guest 17
Blytheville Schools drug testing for extra curr... 1 hr Guest 8
football player 1 hr U-haul in my plans 37
white boy jeffery kibler 2 hr sorry 23
B.P.D. wants more officers for this SMALL town! 3 hr Jack 24
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 7 hr speller feller 29,660
This town is a war zone 9 hr Biker trash 21
nucor affairs 15 hr BGG 19
•••