What are the crop dusters spraying?

Posted in the Blytheville Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Marsha

Brookland, AR

#1 Aug 6, 2009
I live near the Hwy 150/Hwy 312 intersection. Which harmful substance are they pumping down on us today? Is it Boll Weevil eradication spray, some other type of pesticide, plant hormones, or what? Whatever it is, it is affecting my musculoskeletal system. I just love how the meteorologists and some locals call the current conditions "hazy". Before anyone suggest I move, believe me, as soon as the housing market bounces back (HA!!!!) I will.

I know I will get plenty of wise cracks posting this on topix; however, if anyone has any real information, please post it. Thanks!!
sandy beach

Trumann, AR

#2 Aug 6, 2009
While I don't know what they are spraying, I think it would be for bugs.
I think they can spray any poison they want any way they want.
I think that is why we have the highest cancer rates in the state.

My tomatoes have done worse than ever this year.
I saw this on KAIT,
http://www.kait8.com/global/story.asp...

TRUMANN, AR (KAIT)- Some Region 8 tomato farmers are seeing red and it's not from their produce. They say their crops are dying off and that's causing them to lose a lot of green!

"They're small. They're deformed and they're pointed on the end," said Melvin Messer.

Messer is describing the fruit of his income. His crop of tomatoes is not what it should be. He said herbicides are to blame.
turbodog62

Little Rock, AR

#3 Aug 6, 2009
Not know what but last year b*tch sprayed me twice on air-base highway and I tried slow down to miss first and sped up to miss second spraying. Felt refreshing on me and my motorcycle wet with poison. Next time might dust back with a cap or two, or 7. Crop-dusters are far more dangerous than drinking and driving, arrest them for spraying in 5mph winds.
Marsha

Brookland, AR

#4 Aug 6, 2009
My tomatoes did the same thing this year. Curling leaves and pointed fruit.

Have you noticed, along Hwy 18 going to Jonesboro, almost all of the red tipped photinas have lost their leaves and/or died?
My neighbor lost two that were about 4 years old. I have two that are over 10 years old, they lost their leaves and took a HARD hit. I planted 7 young ones last year, I lost three of those when they sprayed fertilizer (?) right before planting season. That's when I starting noticing all the mature/established ones dying in the area.

I've listened to a farmers point of view.

Bottom line... human life vs. plant life, hmmmm?

There has to be alternatives to ensure they have bountiful crops. I don't recall all of these chemicals being used 30 years ago.

Alexander, AR

#5 Aug 6, 2009
Hate to tell you this but they are spraying mosquito food.They say when they eat a lot of this food,they will swell uo and burst. It is made from melted banana flavored popcycles.
Marsha

Brookland, AR

#6 Aug 6, 2009
OMG!!! Turbodog62...Holy SHit!!! Something has to be done. What CAN we do besides shoot them down like a rancher in Alto TN did a few years back???

They buzz by so closely to the ground, I don't know how they avoid hitting a power line. I'm just waiting for the day they do. You know, they must have rules and regulations. Like not spraying the roads, especially when drivers are present.

My mother has suggested getting the ID from the planes. I've been told by others, that does no good.
turbodog62

Pine Bluff, AR

#7 Aug 7, 2009
Watching one go under powerlines today was wild. Lord protect us! I talked to a duster today and he said plane used 64 gallons of fuel an hour while spraying. Said Versatal, Variable, not sure but kills insects quick? I've been beaned by fertilizer 4-5 times car/bike but like liquid less.

Manila, AR

#8 Aug 7, 2009
sprayed my house here,thought it was hailing,allover my vehicle and parking lot,called cops ,they say he overshot his target and it was just fertilizer(i hope)

Alexander, AR

#9 Aug 7, 2009
Marsha wrote:
OMG!!! Turbodog62...Holy SHit!!! Something has to be done. What CAN we do besides shoot them down like a rancher in Alto TN did a few years back???
They buzz by so closely to the ground, I don't know how they avoid hitting a power line. I'm just waiting for the day they do. You know, they must have rules and regulations. Like not spraying the roads, especially when drivers are present.
My mother has suggested getting the ID from the planes. I've been told by others, that does no good.
If you really want to do someting, contact the FAA in Memphis. Report to them the date and time of the spraying. They will investigate. Every plane is requires to keep alog of the flight times. The airport as well must report all times. The airport must summit these reports to the FAA. They are not allowed to fly after 7:30,or dusk.
Farmer

United States

#10 Aug 7, 2009
No different than you homeowners going to Wal-Mart to buy weed killer for your yards,and don't have a clue as to what you are spraying.The chemicals in some yard products that you spray can drift onto our crops and damage our crops.We are well versed and very knowledgable about what we spray when to spray and how to protect the environment.We have to be licensed to do this.Everyone gripes about defolients cause sinus and breathing problems,it is not the chemical itself that causes this,it is what they put into it that gives it the smell not the chemical itself.Also you complain about when we are killing the weeds in the spring,again it is not the chemicals,it is the ragweed we stir up buy driving thru the fields when we are spraying.Know your facts,and be sure that while you are sitting around in your cotton clothes,and rubbing baby oil on made from cotton seed and soybeans,oh and the oil that you cook your food in,please be sure and don't bad mouth us with your mouth full of the food and fibe that we produce for you to survive.It always seems that it is the farmers at fault,but please remember one very,very important thing-NO FARMERS NO FOOD!
Believer

Jonesboro, AR

#11 Aug 8, 2009
Farmer wrote:
No different than you homeowners going to Wal-Mart to buy weed killer for your yards,and don't have a clue as to what you are spraying.The chemicals in some yard products that you spray can drift onto our crops and damage our crops.We are well versed and very knowledgable about what we spray when to spray and how to protect the environment.We have to be licensed to do this.Everyone gripes about defolients cause sinus and breathing problems,it is not the chemical itself that causes this,it is what they put into it that gives it the smell not the chemical itself.Also you complain about when we are killing the weeds in the spring,again it is not the chemicals,it is the ragweed we stir up buy driving thru the fields when we are spraying.Know your facts,and be sure that while you are sitting around in your cotton clothes,and rubbing baby oil on made from cotton seed and soybeans,oh and the oil that you cook your food in,please be sure and don't bad mouth us with your mouth full of the food and fibe that we produce for you to survive.It always seems that it is the farmers at fault,but please remember one very,very important thing-NO FARMERS NO FOOD!
When there is open fields for you to fly over and instead you chose to fly directly over our homes, I think you are just being rude. I've had my house sprayed and I believe it was done on purpose. All the pilots have to do is make some excuse and no one does anything about it. Don't give me that old "we provide food, etc." That does not excuse you from using every means possible to avoid flying directly and low over our homes

Bragg City, MO

#12 Aug 8, 2009
They are probably spraying for boll weevil,red spiders and aphids all this ran they had to hire the plane to spray couldn't get there sprayers in the fields.
Farmer

United States

#13 Aug 8, 2009
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>When there is open fields for you to fly over and instead you chose to fly directly over our homes, I think you are just being rude. I've had my house sprayed and I believe it was done on purpose. All the pilots have to do is make some excuse and no one does anything about it. Don't give me that old "we provide food, etc." That does not excuse you from using every means possible to avoid flying directly and low over our homes
Well do you farm [email protected]#$? So I guess we do provide the food and fiber then don't we.I wasn't being rude until now! I was simply trying to help with some information.Why do you drive so close to my house?I don't like you driving close to my house,so do I call the police,no I don't.See it is the same thing.I also guess you don't like the fact that airliners fly over our houses everyday,with the possibility of getting hit with a falling turd from the toilet from one of these planes.I'm sick and tired of everytime a plane flys over or a tractor goes down the road somebody has to [email protected]# about it.If you don't like living in the LAND OF COTTON move on or to the city,and quit your crying.Now do you want me to be any more rude than that,this is mild to what I can do.
bugged

United States

#14 Aug 8, 2009
Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>Well do you farm [email protected]#$? So I guess we do provide the food and fiber then don't we.I wasn't being rude until now! I was simply trying to help with some information.Why do you drive so close to my house?I don't like you driving close to my house,so do I call the police,no I don't.See it is the same thing.I also guess you don't like the fact that airliners fly over our houses everyday,with the possibility of getting hit with a falling turd from the toilet from one of these planes.I'm sick and tired of everytime a plane flys over or a tractor goes down the road somebody has to [email protected]# about it.If you don't like living in the LAND OF COTTON move on or to the city,and quit your crying.Now do you want me to be any more rude than that,this is mild to what I can do.
Darn guess you got up on the wrong side of the hay loft. So are you a farmer or crop duster?
bugged

United States

#15 Aug 8, 2009
Are you a Crosskno? Sounds like you are a idiot just like him. Put rice on 45acres away from his house. But will grow it on the hundreds of acres around his house. Pipe down dirt road farmer.
bud

Trumann, AR

#16 Aug 8, 2009
We can import all our food and fiber thank you.
it would save the taxpayers a lot of money.
Looks like most farmers are millionaires around here.
But they can't afford to hire American citizens.
Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>Well do you farm [email protected]#$? So I guess we do provide the food and fiber then don't we.I wasn't being rude until now! I was simply trying to help with some information.Why do you drive so close to my house?I don't like you driving close to my house,so do I call the police,no I don't.See it is the same thing.I also guess you don't like the fact that airliners fly over our houses everyday,with the possibility of getting hit with a falling turd from the toilet from one of these planes.I'm sick and tired of everytime a plane flys over or a tractor goes down the road somebody has to [email protected]# about it.If you don't like living in the LAND OF COTTON move on or to the city,and quit your crying.Now do you want me to be any more rude than that,this is mild to what I can do.
turbodog62

Pine Bluff, AR

#17 Aug 8, 2009
I was born here, I think I was here before the crop-dusters, so why should I move? Maybe they are texting instead of concentrating on when to turn spray on and off. If I use poisons at home I'm not going to spray them in my face and all over my arms, I'll spray them where they need to be and prob not spray my car or motorcycle.
Lard Ass

United States

#18 Aug 8, 2009
Folks, this is pretty simple. We live in the Mississippi Farm Delta...richest soil in the Nation. Every available inch of will be farmed. They have done aerial spraying for nearly 50 years.

Life consists of a series of choices that we make. If you choose to buy a home in the country which is surrounded by agricultural land...guess what? It is going to get sprayed and some of it will drift onto your property. Your choice is to stay or move into a city. If your tomatoes are growing tits, then go to a farmers market and buy some really good ones. That's what I do.

Alexander, AR

#19 Aug 8, 2009
If farmers are so smart and hard workers, then how come they all have big fat bellies hanging over their pants?
Old McDonald

Kennett, MO

#20 Aug 8, 2009
So what if we spray your house a little. It may kill some bugs in your yard or garden. If its fertilizer then it will make your lawn grow better.

If it kills your tomatoes then apply and get you some farm welfare checks like we do. Haven't you learned by know that when anything goes wrong the Government will help you out. Heck, they might even buy you a new truck or tractor. lol Why do you think we donate so much to buy us a congress person. Dont hate the player. Hate the game.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blytheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 10 min Reality Check 39,397
Tina Martinez Expose 46 min CRIMEFAMILYENT 4
selling to minors 1 hr guest 1
$85,000.00 stolen fron city 1 hr BB Board 166
Why are people from Arkansas so stupid? 2 hr Trish 31
Have Blytheville Police solved anyting lately (Feb '15) 3 hr factor 18
Jason L. 3 hr Yes 1

Blytheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance