You have no idea

Blacksburg, VA

#24 Jun 1, 2012
figures wrote:
I hope they get rid of that woman in code enforcement who lays down at the park. I thought she worked there until I heard her talking at the train about having the mayor do whatever she wants her to do and then she said she worked at city hall. She didn't mention the manager but I now know the city attorney is stupid and the treasurer has a big butt. There were children around with her just bashing her coworkers. Whoever hired her needs to reconsider their actions.
If other people were doing their job, she would not have to take care of the train.
N the Know

Charleston, WV

#25 Jun 1, 2012
You have no idea wrote:
<quoted text>
If other people were doing their job, she would not have to take care of the train.
Does anyone with the City of Bluefield "do their job"?

I have not seen it if they do.
Bud Wiser

Sandy Hook, KY

#26 Jun 1, 2012
That.s a good start, now if the Mayor and the rest of the bunch would resign.
Susan Henderson

Welch, WV

#27 Jun 1, 2012
First of all, I am using my real name because I am not afraid to voice my opionions. Thank goodness Merriman is gone and I hope the door hits him in his behind. Merriman was an egotisical, self-centered, ignorant, power hungry, typical male with a Napolean complex. If anyone had bothered to check the interview he gave to his former "hometown" newspaper, they would have been appalled by his arrogance in saying he would now have a city HE could run. I attended a board meeting about the football debacles. He blantedly lied about meeting with the Bluefield, Virginia town manager. He said he met with him on a certain day and time and that was impossible because I was meeting with the town manager at that time. Talk about silence where you could hear a pin drop. The board should never have hired him but that is typical of our board. We do need a new city manager but I am afraid our board will make another bad decision. Bad decisions have become their forte. By the way, just where is that money they received from the sale of the hospital? I'm sure they have found a way to waste it.
Susan Henderson

Welch, WV

#28 Jun 1, 2012
I don't know why I was listed as being in Welch. I am a resident of Bluefield.
from the past

United States

#29 Jun 1, 2012
thank you susan henderson. the city manager is just like the police chief. they get paid 6 figure salaries to lie to people. they surround themselves with their friends and brown nosers and when something hits the media, they hide behind a church and scream "it was them", I never said that.I lived around bluefield for years and it has gotten worse and worse as years went on. the city manager and the mayor likes to use the police dept to further their agenda. been a lot of meetings went on at the city park and fop lodge in the past.
sounds like the fred burton, howard liest and tony "no comment" bivens days all over again
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#30 Jun 1, 2012
This "board" has made nothing but one bad decision after another...there needs to be a clean sweep in the city government that can give Bluefield a chance to be a better place.
I wish the manager's leaving could have been timed closer with a NEW BOARD coming in as many many people are "FED UP" with everyone on the current board and do not welcome any decisions-choices-or selections made by them,city manager or otherwise.However we are stuck with that until an election.
Susanhendersonto o

Bluefield, WV

#31 Jun 1, 2012
"If anyone had bothered to check the interview he gave to his former "hometown" newspaper, they would have been appalled by his arrogance in saying he would now have a city HE could run."

You got a link to that interview?

Jamal

Wallback, WV

#32 Jun 1, 2012
from the past wrote:
thank you susan henderson. the city manager is just like the police chief. they get paid 6 figure salaries to lie to people. they surround themselves with their friends and brown nosers and when something hits the media, they hide behind a church and scream "it was them", I never said that.I lived around bluefield for years and it has gotten worse and worse as years went on. the city manager and the mayor likes to use the police dept to further their agenda. been a lot of meetings went on at the city park and fop lodge in the past.
sounds like the fred burton, howard liest and tony "no comment" bivens days all over again
Could you tell us what the city manager and police chief make in salary or are you just spouting to hear yourself.
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#33 Jun 1, 2012
They DO NOT get a 6 figure salary( Merriman might have)-city manager gets much much more than the police chief.
I wish I could remember what they agreed to pay Merriman.I remember thinking it was high for Bluefield area.
1 post removed
Susan Henderson

Welch, WV

#35 Jun 2, 2012
On Bing search "Andy Merriman Fort Mill" and access the first result.
Susan Henderson

Welch, WV

#36 Jun 2, 2012
Susanhendersontoo wrote:
"If anyone had bothered to check the interview he gave to his former "hometown" newspaper, they would have been appalled by his arrogance in saying he would now have a city HE could run."
You got a link to that interview?
In Bing, search "Andy Merriman Fort Mill" and access the first result.

Level 1

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#37 Jun 2, 2012
Jamal wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you tell us what the city manager and police chief make in salary or are you just spouting to hear yourself.
$75000 plus perks including use of a city vehicle
Jamal

Rupert, WV

#38 Jun 2, 2012
Thats a far cry from a six figure salary 'from the past' refered to. The only public official that makes a six figure salary is the head of the school system. By the way, where did you get that figure on Merriman?
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#39 Jun 2, 2012
I was thinking that is what they started Merriman at but could not remember for absolute sure so did not want to post just to post-I am sure he had a raise(s) when they renewed his contract of employment.YES he did have various other "perks" and the use of a city vehicle and expenses.
I am not saying someone was not worth it BUT for Bluefield and the struggle we have and our (average pay ) I did think that was a bit high,but was hoping he could do some really good things for the city and the residents to justify that salary.
He(and any other manager selected) is severely hampered by the board of directors in at the time.This bunch of loosers will severely hamper any choice that is made.The backward thinking is going to kill anyone selected.
THey need to quit trying to relive the past...forget(at least for now) the intermodal project-and concentrate on development out 460-Cumberland-out John Nash and out to I77 exit to GET TRAFFIC AND PEOPLE IN AND THROUGH BLUEFIELD and then development may increase downtown with that.
Sadly this has not happened in Princeton either while Stafford Drive and out to the East has boomed their downtown is dismal as are the most in many many small to medium American cities.Many types of business historically do not do well in any downtown areas so they are not interested in that for a location but that seems all that is a mindset in Bluefield a DEAD mindset at best.
Susanhendersonto o

Bluefield, WV

#40 Jun 2, 2012
From the Fort Mill Times...

Published: Tuesday, Mar. 24, 2009
Fort Mill planner gives notice

By Toya Graham - Toya Graham

The town's planning director was offered a top West Virginia post - and he accepted it.

Andy Merriman said Monday he made the decision earlier this month to take the job of city manager of Bluefield, W.Va.

"I am very happy to get the job," Merriman said of the offer that was made March 12 by the Bluefield Board of Directors. "I was a little shocked."

The Bluefield Board of Directors, Merriman said, was slated to meet Tuesday to approve Merriman's three-year contract. That document notes Merriman's salary will be $75,000 and includes perks such as access to a city vehicle, he said.

The 29-year-old Lancaster man is ready to get to work.

"They put a lot of faith in hiring me," he said of the board of directors. "I'm going to get in there and get the job done."

Bluefield Mayor Linda Whalen declined comments until Tuesday's meeting.

The Fort Mill Times could not reach Bluefield's Board of Directors or City Attorney Brian Cochran. Since Jan. 1, Cochran also has served as interim city manager, according to the city's Web site. That position was previously held by Mark Henne, the site notes.

Merriman's last day with the Town of Fort Mill is April 3, he said. He currently earns $55,000, he said.

"I'm glad to see him having an opportunity to be a city manager," Town Manager David Hudspeth said. "He's done a great job, and we wish him the best."

The position will be posted on the town's Web site within 30 days, Hudspeth said.

Merriman's initial interview for the Bluefield post occurred in late January. A second interview followed about a month later, he said.

"Definitely, making it to a second interview was a coup," he said. "But you never assume anything."

Then Merriman learned he made the cut with Bluefield. Pending contract approval, Merriman's first day is slated for April 6, he said.

"It's going to be a big challenge," Merriman said. "This is my city to run. I've always had some kind of cushion. I've not been on the top of the food chain. Now, I'm taking that leap."

Merriman graduated in 2002 with a bachelor's degree boasting a double major in political science and psychology from Tusculum College in Greeneville, Tenn. In 2005, he earned a master's degree in city and regional planning from Clemson University.

After graduation, Merriman landed a job as a planning consultant with a private Florida firm. Ten months later, he captured Fort Mill's planning director post. That was April 3, 2006.

Just shy of three years, Merriman is set to leave.

"The people of Fort Mill are just great," Merriman said. "This is just a very driven, talented community. All they have to do is reap the benefits of their work."

Although Merriman is excited about his new position, he cherishes Fort Mill accomplishments like when the town last summer annexed Clear Springs and the Anne Springs Close Greenway owned by Leroy Springs and Co.- a gain of 5,000 plus acres, Merriman said.

"We doubled the size of Fort Mill with one annexation," he said. "It was a huge project."

And there was one other memory, he said.

"Getting tased," he said of being zapped by police tasers. "I volunteered as a dummy when the town bought tasers for the (Fort Mill) police department. It was a unique experience. It's a memory I'll always have."

The reality of packing boxes stacked against a nearby wall in Merriman's office sent a message, one Lynne Elting doesn't welcome.

"I'm still kind of angry with him because he's leaving," said Elting, the town's business license and permit administrator. "I wish him the very, very best in his endeavors. He is a good person."

And the man whose size and bald head got him dubbed "Shrek" could tell tons of jokes, Elting said.

"We look forward to Andy coming through that door every day," she said. "He's a ray of sunshine. He will be missed."
Jamal

Rupert, WV

#41 Jun 2, 2012
Glowing article if you ask me.
Susanhendersonto o

Bluefield, WV

#42 Jun 2, 2012
Jamal wrote:
Glowing article if you ask me.
Maybe they were glad that he was leaving. I'll declare that he walks on water if it'll get him the Hell on out of here!
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#43 Jun 2, 2012
This could very well be the case....you never know...I did not see anything tremendous out of him here.
1 post removed
Sad

Princeton, WV

#45 Jun 3, 2012
The article was very complimentary to say the least. I will also agree that he has been a ray of sunshine to this drab city. "I KNOW" I believe you are right that this board and this mayor has hampered his efforts. And Ms. Henderson, your work reputation is not exactly gleeming, so who are you to be criticizing anyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bluefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 5 min Dalai Lama 58,166
whos an cheap walker to get with on the ave 22 min Larry 26
White girls need to stick to white guys 27 min Fubar 22
veronica elswick 2 hr someone 7
get the walkers outa here 3 hr real talk 1
shanale hamm 3 hr real talk 3
Should inner city white girl be forced to wear ... 5 hr Tommy B 2
•••
•••
•••

Bluefield Jobs

•••
•••