K-VA-T (Food City) is Slowly Devastat...
Pleasewhinesomem ore

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Sep 18, 2012
How hard is it to drive the 3 miles from cumberland rd to food city? Are people really that lazy? If bluefield really needs a grocery store Kroger would never of gone out of business. You cannot force them to open a store in that location, this area can't support 2 food city locations. If they open one on cumberland rd with the way the economy is we risk losing 2 grocery stores.
Pleasewhinesomem ore

United States

#22 Sep 18, 2012
I KNOW wrote:
I am in ABSOLUTE AND FULL AGREEMENT that the entire (so called) board of directors needs to be VOTED OUT once and for all-no re runs no holdovers a total new clean slate. The board needs to be MUCH MORE business friendly AND absolutely stop the backward mindset that Bluefield development stops with The Bland and Federal st area.Downtown is what it is BUT new development is a MUST and this needs to be done out adjacent to 460 bypass and out John Nash.That intermodal project is a total waste of money-develop out where the traffis flow and the people are and where they come off the interstate to the trail system FIRST and then there will be some spinoff business downtown.
We are in a city without a grocer in the south Bluefield area (which is B&O for the city) and they are worrying about an intertmodal center in the defunct downtown!Bluefield Va's development came out adjacent to the 460 bypass and access areas NOT IN THE DOWNTOWN. There were folks there that for a while had this notion BUT some changes let people make the decisions that were no longer looking to the past and it turned around!
The city board has nothing to do with this. The city does not own the building and even if they did they can't force them to open a store, it's against free enterprise laws. If having a grocery store in south bluefield is so important to you why don't you open one? Then maybe you will realize that there isn't a big enough population to support in and finally realize why Kroger left and KVAT doesn't want to open a store
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#23 Sep 19, 2012
My comments were in answer to someone else's post however I agree that there is not enough to support 2 (FOOD CITY'S) because there are many many that DO NOT LIKE the food city that is here and would probably not shop if one was ( a food city)on Cumberland.There are many that have driven to Princeton or Bluewell to shop BECAUSE THEY DID NOT AND DO NOT LIKE FOOD CITY!There are many others that have been shopping at Grants on Ave-green valley and Sam's and Walmart-simply put they DO NOT LIKE FOOD CITY.What food city management has done is even alienate some customers that did buy some there by the dirty and underhanded trick with the Cumberland Rd building.
The point is if we drive it absolutely is not going to be to food city-period!
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#24 Sep 19, 2012
The point some are missing is those posting here and on facebook are not trying to force food city to open a store....no way...just let someone(another grocer) have the building and let them worry about their store doing well.

Bottom line after all the dirty and underhanded dealings and lies there are many that plainly DO NOT want anything to do with kvat or their food city -not on Cumberland-not anywhere in town-and will not shop at the Leatherwood crossing location!
The great dirty and underhanded Mr Smith-kvat and food city have succeded in some really bad relations in Bluefield and yes Bluefield Va as well and have in a sense created an unwelcome feeling among many residents and in effect have "burned their bridges " here.
Cumberland Kid

United States

#25 Sep 19, 2012
I KNOW wrote:
The point some are missing is those posting here and on facebook are not trying to force food city to open a store....no way...just let someone(another grocer) have the building and let them worry about their store doing well.
Bottom line after all the dirty and underhanded dealings and lies there are many that plainly DO NOT want anything to do with kvat or their food city -not on Cumberland-not anywhere in town-and will not shop at the Leatherwood crossing location!
The great dirty and underhanded Mr Smith-kvat and food city have succeded in some really bad relations in Bluefield and yes Bluefield Va as well and have in a sense created an unwelcome feeling among many residents and in effect have "burned their bridges " here.
Pitiful. How can you stand to repeat yourself over and over again?

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#26 Nov 28, 2012
Food City is destroying businesses on Cumberland Rd by not allowing Grants to take the building. This is no corporate citizen. A billion dollar company driving a stake through the heart of a struggling WV town.
Fred

Bluefield, WV

#27 Nov 29, 2012
Lets shift the focus to Food City and blame them for all of our problems so we don't have to take the blame.

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#28 Nov 29, 2012
Let's remember Grants wants that building and has confirmed it again Let's remember that Food City is finishing off Bluefield because they do not want competition. Let's remember that Food City refuses to lease to a grocery store. Let's remember how corporate greed is killing Cumberland Road. Yes, let's remember.
Joe the sheriff

Saint Albans, WV

#29 Nov 29, 2012
Chrysalis1 wrote:
Apart from the elderly not able to get local groceries, K-VA-T is helping to demolish Bluefield in 2 ways.
The merchants on Cumberland Road have suffered since Kroger left. Grants would have been a great anchor store for commerce street.
Finally, K-VA-T is directly depreciating houses in Bluefield, WV. When areas lose grocery chains, people leave, people do not buy real estate, and housing values tumble.
K-VA-T and the plaza landlord have done Bluefield, WV no favors.
If K-VA-T was forward thinking, they would know this action would reduce their customer traffic long-term. When they help dry up Bluefield, WV, they will have far less customers. They are destroying most of their customer base.
Blurfield city government is to blame, B&O tax and stupid laws run Krogers out and no one will come in to the awful situation. Did food city run all the stores out of Bluefield, did FC run Warlicks out or others who have left in the last ten years, no! Did food c ity let the Matza building or the old Brown stone Peoples Bank collapse, NO.
Chrysalis1

Bluefield, WV

#30 Nov 29, 2012
Folks who talk about B&O taxes in Bluefield have no clue about what they are talking about.
The local taxes in Bluefield, WV compare eqaully to Bluefield, VA for instance. Bluefield, VA does not call them B&O tax. Go get information to educate yourself.
What we have here is a 1 billion dollar corporation taking advantage of a small town and small businesses by blocking competition.
Also, there is no other space in Bluefield, WV to construct a large store. Food City has the only large location blocked. Great corporation. Capitialism is a good thing, but its not a free-for-all to block competition.
Please go get educated on local tax structures before you post. I think you will be surprised.
Chrysalis1

Bluefield, WV

#31 Nov 29, 2012
Also, while I understand Bluefield's past issues, the discussion here is about a grocery store and a corporation's blocking of competition. That is the now and present.

Food City has ensured that Bluefield will not be able to move forward. No chance. And the city had Grants in the waiting.
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#32 Nov 29, 2012
Let's BOYCOTT the food city DUMP at leatherwood-I would drive to Princeton to Kroger before I would shop at food city-really high prices on a lot of things a really poor selection on much and poor quality at a premium price.

They are hurting many many people in Bluefield Wv and yes Va as well as other business here. I would NOT shop food city if they were to open a store in Bluefield WV.They SHOULD let grants have that lease and open a store...what I would LOVE TO SEE is a GRANTS or any other store to find a location in South Bluefield and open a store and LITERALLY SHOVE FOOD CITY OUT OF BLUEFIELD area!They do deserve that!!!

Except for the time inconvenience-and even with gas what it currently is I could drive to Princeton Kroger and shop and still pay a LOT LESS for groceries than food city-meat is much much better and produce far better as well.Many of my neighbors are doing just that!
The small Grants on the avenue is not big enough to handle the extra shoppers and the main drawback there is -like most stores it is a niche type store. Primarily there are many things it does not stock that other Grants do-the space is limited so they stock what moves THERE for those that live and shop there.Some items fly off the shelves there and would never sell well at another store.Other items would never move off the shelves there and would sell out at another store.
Bluefield NEEDS and DESERVES a decent south Bluefield located store-on or near the bus line-for many many used that at Kroger and basically needs food city to just GET OUT!

IF I had the money and financial resources I would build a really first class store and let GRANTS lease it and SMILE ALL THEY WAY as they put crappy food city out of business-serves them right for being so dirty and hurting so many people.
Chrysalis1

Bluefield, WV

#33 Nov 29, 2012
Great post "I know".

People in both Bluefields will begin to realize how this impacts both cities over time.

The public, I believe, will stand up eventually.

I do challenge all posters here to go to Bluefield, VA, Princeton, WV, and to Bluefield, WV and get a copy of the local tax structure. There is no difference. I have done the homework, go do it for yourselves. All cities collect taxes to operate. Go look at the above by line item, then come back here and give us your results.

Food City must understand they will not get by with blocking competition long-term.

1 billion dollar corporations picking on small cities for short-term gain will not stand. Competition is good for everyone--the consumer and for business. Steve Smith, the CEO of Food City, does not understand this. I will bet if he had a home in Bluefield, WV or if he had relatives that had homes in Bluefield, WV, he may see this differently.
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#34 Nov 29, 2012
From what I have located from time to time online Bluefield is not the first to fall prey to EVIL KVAT and food city. Seems they have tied up useable land and buildings before in other locations as their DIRTY tactic to force shoppers to their overpriced dump...they do not want competition because they cannot be competitive with their overpricing and do not want to be-so they try to use their evil tactics and drive out everything .This someday is all going to fail..may work in a few areas however at least we have Kroger in Bluewell and Princeton-aa small Grants on the avenue and a nice Grants in green valley-and we do have a nice Sam's and even a Walmart...with these here there is a limited number of shoppers that can be "forced" to use food city.If someone has a car and has to drive it is not much more to go somewhere else and especially if you have to because they do not have the quality or selection.
Kroger location had a good place for there was a direct(no change) bus running there from over town enabling many to ride a bus and shop. This is a lot more awkward at the food city-have to change buses-a hassle with bags of groceries.

Some are shopping at the Dollar General market right next shopping center to food city....drastically lower prices on a lot of items though selection is limited.
Fred

Oakvale, WV

#35 Nov 29, 2012
You people are pathetic trying to blame Food City. Like having yet another Grants is any better of an idea. That's really gonna save Cumberland road?? Give me a break.
Lord Tennison

Bluefield, WV

#36 Nov 30, 2012
I'm sure somehow you imbeciles will tie Food City to Obama and blame him. I do find it funny when this past Black Friday was the highest sales EVER and not a peep about the economy recovering. If this happened under Bush then you braindeads would be cheering "Bush Bush Bush!!" in the streets and not for the normal reason when your mother is doing her weekly neighborhood door to door strip routine for nickels.
who cares

United States

#37 Nov 30, 2012
Let it go poeple...let it go...u all act like its a mattter of life or death..u all should worry more about the things that really matter..like thatt jail in blfd that will be closed sooner or later bc they can't afford to keep it open..now that's a real cause...there is something for u all to complain about forever...u all seem to like beatin a dead horse lol
helpful

Lerona, WV

#38 Nov 30, 2012
Bluefield WV is a victim of past bad decisions. It does seem to me they are really trying now to better their city and making it more attractive. The Park and lights are beautiful. I do believe they need to concentrate more on the area of John Nash Blvd and downtown not so much. Princeton has done well out 460 and jct of I77, as the small towns must pull the tourists off the interstate and appeal to the locals also. The downside is not even a good service station on Cumberland Rd. as Bluefield Va cheap gas pulls all the business over there with their numerous service stations. Bluefield Wv much closer to interstate so somebody really goofed to let all the businesses slip into Bluefield VA. All that was left for some small towns was to become traffic speed trap. Hmm that is an idea. Maybe we could set up some speed traps right at the line...just joking.
The Divine Marquis

Harrisonburg, VA

#39 Nov 30, 2012
Lord Tennison wrote:
I'm sure somehow you imbeciles will tie Food City to Obama and blame him. I do find it funny when this past Black Friday was the highest sales EVER and not a peep about the economy recovering. If this happened under Bush then you braindeads would be cheering "Bush Bush Bush!!" in the streets and not for the normal reason when your mother is doing her weekly neighborhood door to door strip routine for nickels.
Finally someone speaking rationally for once! Are you taking notes " I Know" and Chrysalis1???
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#40 Dec 1, 2012
Bluefield FOR SURE is suffering from past bad decisions and backward thinking. The area out Cumberland and out John Nash is where the almost total focus needs to be.
MAny many of America's smaller cities and towns have lost the "downtown" and we are NO EXCEPTION. Growth in Bluefield Va and Princeton did not take place in downtown BUT near to and surrounding HIGHWAY exits...Princeton is virtually ALL around the interstates and as well near 460 exits. Bluefield Va is virtually ALL near the 460 expressway and UNTIL the LEADERS(so called) of Bluefield get their heads out of the "downtown dream" and focus where the PEOPLE TRAFFIC and POPULATION is nothing will ever happen.
IF they would think in terms of TODAY(quit living in the past) and develop where actual people are then there is probably going to be some "spin off" to downtown.They cannot move past the fact that Bland and Federal streets are not and cannot be the total focus to see growth.

Bluefield leadership seems to have a real problem with thinking and living in the past.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bluefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mexicans and their stink 16 min Mike Bowman 11
"???? tion" ~ Word Game 1 hr luci 108
security 2 hr tammy 2
4 Letter Word Game (Nov '14) 2 hr Princess Hey 13,827
GAME ***Last Word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr Princess Hey 11,917
3 Word Game (Nov '16) 2 hr Princess Hey 2,389
Last Word as First (Nov '16) 2 hr Princess Hey 2,592

Bluefield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance