K-VA-T (Food City) is Slowly Devastat...

K-VA-T (Food City) is Slowly Devastating Bluefield, WV

Posted in the Bluefield Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#1 Sep 14, 2012
Apart from the elderly not able to get local groceries, K-VA-T is helping to demolish Bluefield in 2 ways.

The merchants on Cumberland Road have suffered since Kroger left. Grants would have been a great anchor store for commerce street.

Finally, K-VA-T is directly depreciating houses in Bluefield, WV. When areas lose grocery chains, people leave, people do not buy real estate, and housing values tumble.

K-VA-T and the plaza landlord have done Bluefield, WV no favors.

If K-VA-T was forward thinking, they would know this action would reduce their customer traffic long-term. When they help dry up Bluefield, WV, they will have far less customers. They are destroying most of their customer base.
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#2 Sep 14, 2012
KVAT is a dirty word in Bluefield.They have really hurt a lot of people that needed and depended on a store in this area and are hurting Bluefield and whether they realize it or not hurting a potential customer base as the previous post stated and they are doing this with a Walmart supercenter one exit away for those that drive and a sams that same exit away from their store and FOOD CITY IS TOO HIGH and one can drive 3 to 5 min more and save a considerable amount on groceries at either of these places.I do not like walmart BUT have to live the best I can on what I have and the most of the items I usually buy are considerably cheaper at walmart and Sam's.Some items are a dollar or slightly more cheaper on the item.
I always shopped Kroger and loved it and with the sales and the Kroger card & Kroger brands-I did fine and had great quality-never went to Walmart or sams always found whatever I needed. With food city I was shocked at how much higher they were on many things and some of the selection is really poor and some of the quality is poor as well all for more money????
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#3 Sep 14, 2012
Bottom line we need a grocery in Bluefield!
Joker

Athens, WV

#4 Sep 14, 2012
That's most ridiculous crap I have ever read. It's business and Grants already has a monopoly on the area.

Grants can build a store if they'd like. I sure someone on Cumberland road would sell.

Until then stop your crying about someone's smart business decision.
common sense

Princeton, WV

#5 Sep 14, 2012
Joker wrote:
That's most ridiculous crap I have ever read. It's business and Grants already has a monopoly on the area.
Grants can build a store if they'd like. I sure someone on Cumberland road would sell.
Until then stop your crying about someone's smart business decision.
i don't think it was very smart. i myself live in pctn and my wife works in blfd va, we used to buy gas and some of our groceries at foodcity. we will no longer shop there because of this dirty business decision.
Joker

Princeton, WV

#6 Sep 14, 2012
Oh well the store is packed and I am certain they can make it without you.
wile e

Princeton, WV

#7 Sep 14, 2012
Blame the guy that's leasing the building to KVAT....

Bluefield was "devastated" long before Food City ever came to town...
sorry

Princeton, WV

#8 Sep 14, 2012
You must be pretty bad off, if you can't drive the extra 2 miles from Cumberland Road to the Food City....

If you can get in your car and drive to Cumberland Road....you can get in your car to drive to Bluewell, if you want to shop Kroger so bad.
Jim

Rupert, WV

#9 Sep 14, 2012
Blame the whites who allowed the coloreds to move from across the tracks. That's who ruined bluefield and it will never be the same.
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#10 Sep 14, 2012
sorry wrote:
You must be pretty bad off, if you can't drive the extra 2 miles from Cumberland Road to the Food City....
If you can get in your car and drive to Cumberland Road....you can get in your car to drive to Bluewell, if you want to shop Kroger so bad.
I do drive the few miles RIGHT PAST FOOD CRAP CITY and shop at SAM'S AND WALMART just ONE EXIT AWAY.Never liked walmart as such BUT if they were not here I WOULD go to Princeton to Kroger rather than FOODCRAPCITY!
Homey

Lerona, WV

#11 Sep 15, 2012
After reading these Food City threads I have to say that the people of this area are stupid. Stupid beyond belief.
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#12 Sep 15, 2012
STUPID no way...oh well just makes me more determined to NEVER ENTER FOODCRAPCITY AGAIN!
Tell that to the INTELLIGENT and EDUCATED people that feel this way and are driving to Princeton to Kroger-who hate FOODCRAPCITY.
well

Washington, DC

#13 Sep 15, 2012
Homey wrote:
After reading these Food City threads I have to say that the people of this area are stupid. Stupid beyond belief.
I agree wholeheartedly. Downright scary.
sorry

Princeton, WV

#14 Sep 15, 2012
well wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree wholeheartedly. Downright scary.
Don't forget psycho...
correct

Fishersville, VA

#15 Sep 15, 2012
wile e wrote:
Blame the guy that's leasing the building to KVAT....

Bluefield was "devastated" long before Food City ever came to town...
more people should read this post. There must be some reason that businesses goto Bluefield Virginia and do not go to the WV side. The gug that owns the building wants cash. Who doesn't? He took cash from the highest bidder. Now he's got it for five years I think. That's capitalism. If you don't like it, move. Shut up about this and goto walmart or sams club. Nobody cares. Waste your gas and goto the Princeton Kroger for all I care. Eventually your cell fone will quit working from all your tears getting in the buttons (I hope).
Karen

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Sep 16, 2012
I hate what's happened too. But I don't get around as well as I used to and Walmart totally wears me out so I go to Food City. Walmart is just too large of a store. Groceries on one side and cosmetics and cat food on the other.
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#17 Sep 16, 2012
Karen wrote:
I hate what's happened too. But I don't get around as well as I used to and Walmart totally wears me out so I go to Food City. Walmart is just too large of a store. Groceries on one side and cosmetics and cat food on the other.
Folks like you are the reason I am so disgusted with food city. There were many like yourself that can't get around as good as you once did myself approaching that and a decent Grants on Cumberland on the bus for those that do not drive and a store that is easier to navigate- this would have been great but GREEDY FOOD CITY saw to it all these folks were shafted.
I agree on Walmart-they are MUCH cheaper and MUCh better selection BUT I as well hate how you have to go from one extreme of the store to the other JUST TO GET what I always at Kroger felt were regular "grocery" items- Cat or dog food even necessities like bath soap-toothpaste etc are clear on the extreme end of Walmart.To have to cross all the other displays-congestion and other departments is HARD and confusing for many many people.We needed a just plain nice grocery in the Cumberland site.Thanks to greedy food city they knocked a lot of folks out of what they needed.I keep hoping as do others that a GOOD grocery can get another location that is near the bus and convenient.
Handicap Carts

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Sep 16, 2012
Wal-Mart offers those electric carts for handicap people to ride while they are in the store, and the city bus stops at Wal-Mart every hour. People saying they don't drive or don't get around good is just a cop out.

Having said that, the problem isn't Food City leasing the building, or the owners of the building making the lease. The problem is the City of Bluefield WV being less friendly to business than the Town of Bluefield, VA. If you want to change the situation vote everybody out of their positions with the city. Until you do that, the only blame that can be placed for the lack of businesses in Bluefield, WV and subsequent reduction in residential property values is on the voters.
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#19 Sep 16, 2012
I am in ABSOLUTE AND FULL AGREEMENT that the entire (so called) board of directors needs to be VOTED OUT once and for all-no re runs no holdovers a total new clean slate. The board needs to be MUCH MORE business friendly AND absolutely stop the backward mindset that Bluefield development stops with The Bland and Federal st area.Downtown is what it is BUT new development is a MUST and this needs to be done out adjacent to 460 bypass and out John Nash.That intermodal project is a total waste of money-develop out where the traffis flow and the people are and where they come off the interstate to the trail system FIRST and then there will be some spinoff business downtown.
We are in a city without a grocer in the south Bluefield area (which is B&O for the city) and they are worrying about an intertmodal center in the defunct downtown!Bluefield Va's development came out adjacent to the 460 bypass and access areas NOT IN THE DOWNTOWN. There were folks there that for a while had this notion BUT some changes let people make the decisions that were no longer looking to the past and it turned around!
i agree

Fishersville, VA

#20 Sep 16, 2012
I KNOW wrote:
I am in ABSOLUTE AND FULL AGREEMENT that the entire (so called) board of directors needs to be VOTED OUT once and for all-no re runs no holdovers a total new clean slate. The board needs to be MUCH MORE business friendly AND absolutely stop the backward mindset that Bluefield development stops with The Bland and Federal st area.Downtown is what it is BUT new development is a MUST and this needs to be done out adjacent to 460 bypass and out John Nash.That intermodal project is a total waste of money-develop out where the traffis flow and the people are and where they come off the interstate to the trail system FIRST and then there will be some spinoff business downtown.
We are in a city without a grocer in the south Bluefield area (which is B&O for the city) and they are worrying about an intertmodal center in the defunct downtown!Bluefield Va's development came out adjacent to the 460 bypass and access areas NOT IN THE DOWNTOWN. There were folks there that for a while had this notion BUT some changes let people make the decisions that were no longer looking to the past and it turned around!
you make a good point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bluefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
4 Letter Word Game (Nov '14) 4 min Theo 11,284
News Perturbed by high gasoline prices? (Article in ... (Sep '08) 3 hr Tony the Tiger 84
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 5 hr Miss priiss 4,090
Homonyms ~ A thru Z ~ 6 hr luci 117
3 Word Game 6 hr luci 740
GAME ***Last Word + 2 (Mar '12) 8 hr luci 9,885
Game - Keep a Word - Drop a Word (Jul '11) 8 hr luci 13,365

Bluefield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bluefield Mortgages