Looking For A Church home

Posted in the Blue Ridge Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Annie

Blue Ridge, GA

#1 Feb 15, 2013
My husband and I are looking for a church home in the Blue Ridge / Copperhill area. Could anyone reccomend some churches to visit? We are most comfortable in a non denominational type setting but not opposed to visiting anywhere. We have visited a few locally but have been disappointed that they were not overly friendly with visitors. Any feedback is welcome! Thank you!
Local Observer

Blue Ridge, GA

#2 Feb 15, 2013
The Ridge (up by Monte Alban) is very welcoming, the Church up on the hill behind Ingles is another nice non-denomination. Not sure who the pastor is @ Crossover Community now & The Rock down in the old Fannin Inn is another non-denom. Another great place to worship is Hemptown & now Pantertown in McCaysville. The pastor there is David Whitner who was the former youth pastor @ BRFBC. I have attended Hemptown & you def feel the Spirit moving there. I believe he is probably Baptist, but is more "non-denom" in his message & worship style. You will know when you walk into a place of worship if you are supposed to be there!
Luther

United States

#3 Feb 16, 2013
As I said in another post:

At all cost, stay away from no-name or "non-denominational" groups, as they are often man-centered . The focus is usually on some charismatic pastor or leader -- What happens when he or she goes away? More than that,such "churches" are often little more than entrepreneurial ventures and entertainment venues. Find a church with roots and solid beliefs.

Having said that, I would vist three or four and ask questions and pray for wisdom.
Highland

Blue Ridge, GA

#4 Feb 17, 2013
Annie wrote:
My husband and I are looking for a church home in the Blue Ridge / Copperhill area. Could anyone reccomend some churches to visit? We are most comfortable in a non denominational type setting but not opposed to visiting anywhere. We have visited a few locally but have been disappointed that they were not overly friendly with visitors. Any feedback is welcome! Thank you!
We would love for y'all to visit Highland Baptist Tabernacle on Industrial Blvd in Blue Ridge. Sits up on a hill, in the old American Uniform Factory Bldg, and near the nursing home. It is a small church, friendly, and we have a wonderful pastor, Rusty Thomas. You can even go to USTREAM, on the internet, type in Highland Baptist Tabernacle, and watch sermons. Post if you wish more information.
Just saying

Morganton, GA

#5 Feb 18, 2013
Luther wrote:
At all cost, stay away from no-name or "non-denominational" groups, as they are often man-centered . The focus is usually on some charismatic pastor or leader -- What happens when he or she goes away? More than that,such "churches" are often little more than entrepreneurial ventures and entertainment venues. Find a church with roots and solid beliefs.
Having said that, I would vist three or four and ask questions and pray for wisdom.
I have visited 'non-denominationsl' churches before and have found the people friendly and the service lively and entertaining. When I left, though, I did not felt I had been been to church. Thanks for your inciteful post. No rocking on the Rock for me, or perching on the Ridge or Crossing over into some spiritual (so-called) state for me. No thank you, I am stayng with Jesus and His Word.
Annie

Blue Ridge, GA

#6 Feb 18, 2013
Thank you very much for the posts from everyone. That helaps a lot!
Annie

Blue Ridge, GA

#7 Feb 18, 2013
*helps :)

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#8 Feb 18, 2013
Luther wrote:
You bring up some good points I have not considered before as we attend a "mainline" denominational church. But we know many people who attend "non-denominational" churches and what we have seen so often is that "power struggles" arise and the churches so often splinter. Or when the original minister leaves - either voluntarily or forced out in one of the aforementioned power struggles, the church dies. Not saying this always happens, but it does seem to be more common in the non-denoms. Perhaps it is the logical result of not having a doctrine that has been established that like minded people are drawn to. Without that foundation, I could see a lot of internal arguing about the meaning of scripture and the application of scipture and we have enough of that in the mainline denominations as it is.

Annie - best wishes in your search for a church home.
Annie

Blue Ridge, GA

#9 Feb 18, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
You bring up some good points I have not considered before as we attend a "mainline" denominational church. But we know many people who attend "non-denominational" churches and what we have seen so often is that "power struggles" arise and the churches so often splinter. Or when the original minister leaves - either voluntarily or forced out in one of the aforementioned power struggles, the church dies. Not saying this always happens, but it does seem to be more common in the non-denoms. Perhaps it is the logical result of not having a doctrine that has been established that like minded people are drawn to. Without that foundation, I could see a lot of internal arguing about the meaning of scripture and the application of scipture and we have enough of that in the mainline denominations as it is.

Annie - best wishes in your search for a church home.
Thank you! I dont disagree with some of what you have said. Which is why we are being very careful of where we choose to worship. I love and respect everyone's opinion and beliefs on this subject!
Truth Seeker

Birmingham, AL

#10 Feb 20, 2013
The Church at Blue Ridge, located on the hill behind Ingles, is great! The truth is definitely preached and they have a heart to reach the community. You should check them out!
Clear facts

Blue Ridge, GA

#11 Mar 30, 2013
Just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
I have visited 'non-denominationsl' churches before and have found the people friendly and the service lively and entertaining. When I left, though, I did not felt I had been been to church. Thanks for your inciteful post. No rocking on the Rock for me, or perching on the Ridge or Crossing over into some spiritual (so-called) state for me. No thank you, I am stayng with Jesus and His Word.
Having attended two of the three noted churches above - first, The Ridge is a Southern Baptist Church, second, Crossover is a non-denominational church, however it's statement if faith is clearly posted on their website. I have not attended The Rock. So I shall withhold comment. You can also hear messages for both of the churches I noted by going to their websites.
Little Ricky

Blue Ridge, GA

#12 May 1, 2013
Wow, she asked for suggestions for a church. How do you turn that into putting folks down for their choice in where to attend?

I think you have the list before you in previous posts. Visit each, and God will let you know which is right for you.

Praying you find your place to serve Christ.
Faithful and Trie

Morganton, GA

#13 May 1, 2013
Little Ricky wrote:
Wow, she asked for suggestions for a church. How do you turn that into putting folks down for their choice in where to attend?
I think you have the list before you in previous posts. Visit each, and God will let you know which is right for you.
Praying you find your place to serve Christ.
I read and re-read the posts and don't get the sense that anyone is putting anyone down. The message I got from several was be careful of man-created, entertainment driven venues, as there are so many out there today. Sadly people gather around a man who tells them what they want to here. I'm with the person who said No rocking around the rock, or perching on the ridge .. I'm staying with Jesus. AMEN
Church goer

Blue Ridge, GA

#14 May 1, 2013
I am Baptist but a good non denominational church is The Gospel Tabernacle in McCaysville. If you know what Kingtown is it is in that area. If you are coming from copperhill to mccaysville turn right before the thrift store/hair salon and go down a little ways until you see a road that has a church. It is very welcoming.
Church goer

Blue Ridge, GA

#15 May 1, 2013
Sorry in mccaysville going towards blue ridge
Just stop

Canton, GA

#16 May 3, 2013
Annie wrote:
Hi,,Sunrise Tabernacle on Bullen Gap Rd is having revival starting May 8th at 7pm..come try us out
Just saying

United States

#17 May 4, 2013
Just stop wrote:
<quoted text>Hi,,Sunrise Tabernacle on Bullen Gap Rd is having revival starting May 8th at 7pm..come try us out
Bring your snakes ... just saying.
BR Common Sense

Copperhill, TN

#18 May 5, 2013
The Ridge Community Church is a plant church of Epworth First Baptist Church. I would recommend you visit either The Ridge or Epworth First Baptist. The pastor of the Ridge was raised in the fellowship of Epworth First Baptist and served as youth minister there for many years before accepting the call to begin a new contemporary based church setting. Epworth First Baptist has more of a "traditional" feel with various contemporary elements incorporated. Whatever your worship style, please continue to visit various churches in the area and remember that Epworth First Baptist, The Ridge and many other churches in the area have more than one morning worhip service. It is often difficult for members to recognize every visitor due to growing congregations combined with mulitple services. I for one do not like to single out visitors at risk of making them uncomfortable. Our church asks for a record of visitation be dropped in the offering with an opportunity for you to request the pastor contact you, should you desire. The devil and evil minded inviduals will try to make you feel unwelcomed but I assure you- everyone is welcome in the house of the Lord.
Just stop

Dawsonville, GA

#19 May 6, 2013
Just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Bring your snakes ... just saying.
Why would you say something so stupid??? If you have ever been there you know it's not true and if you haven't,,you obviously need to. Bless your heart!
Top of the Mountain Dude

United States

#20 Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge United Methodist Church on Depot St is a very warm and welcoming crowd of a few hundred people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blue Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary Clinton for President ! 1 hr Ed Anger 26
The Cowboy Store 1 hr Coot Cummings 9
Our towns food is terrible 2 hr Mavis in Blairsville 61
Cheaters (Jul '15) 22 hr tellico 31
John F Kennedy 22 hr tellico 10
Its okay to be Gay in Blairsville (Jun '09) 22 hr tellico 205
Bear in Food City Mon Junior Sample 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blue Ridge Mortgages