Posted in the Blue Ridge Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“Let me call my lawyer!”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#1 Sep 9, 2011
Where are some well known "haunted" places in Fannin County?
Lanius LaForte

Blue Ridge, GA

#2 Sep 9, 2011
Tilley Bend Church, supposedly a bunch of religious nuts hung some lady they thought was a witch and shot up the church killing a bunch of people as well. I've heard about things happening out there but haven't seen any myself.

“Let me call my lawyer!”

Location hidden

#3 Sep 9, 2011
Lanius LaForte wrote:
Tilley Bend Church, supposedly a bunch of religious nuts hung some lady they thought was a witch and shot up the church killing a bunch of people as well. I've heard about things happening out there but haven't seen any myself.
I read a story similar to that on the Cherokee Paranormal Investigators Site. It said something about there was a family feud between Stanley's and Long's. It's an interesting story, even if it's not true. Either way, can anyone shed some light???
Lady on the Rocks

Youngstown, FL

#4 Sep 9, 2011
JemStar wrote:
<quoted text>
I read a story similar to that on the Cherokee Paranormal Investigators Site. It said something about there was a family feud between Stanley's and Long's. It's an interesting story, even if it's not true. Either way, can anyone shed some light???
It was a love thing you know a Stanley fell in love with a Long but it didn't last it worked itself out. As far as Tilley Church when I was 12 we would go there and tell ghost stories. We did the same at Stanley Church. There were ghosts up there too, but we found out it was our cousin trying to scare us. But it was a great time.

Take care

Syd

“Let me call my lawyer!”

Location hidden

#5 Sep 9, 2011
Lady on the Rocks wrote:
<quoted text>It was a love thing you know a Stanley fell in love with a Long but it didn't last it worked itself out. As far as Tilley Church when I was 12 we would go there and tell ghost stories. We did the same at Stanley Church. There were ghosts up there too, but we found out it was our cousin trying to scare us. But it was a great time.

Take care

Syd
thanks for the reply! Where is the Stanley church??
Lady on the Rocks

Youngstown, FL

#6 Sep 9, 2011
As you come in on Aska before you get to the rocks there is a gravel road on the right just after the paved road on the right. The gravel road has a small old sign that says Stanley Church. Go up that road and the Church is on the right. Go read the head stones and see how old they are. Back when my Grand Mother was born there weren't doctors like there are now so folks just had to make do. Some head stones up there are just small pieces of concrete as I understand it most of them are babies who didn't make it. There are babies buried on the other side of Aska. When babies died and the river was up, much higher than it gets now, or if people were snowed in they would bury them in jars in the yard. I know that sounds awful compared to us today but back then it was a common practice. As I have been told and it does make a lot of sense.

Let me know after you have gone up there. Do you know about the deserter buried on the other side of the river in the woods?

Take care and God bless

Syd
GA Mtn Mama

Williston, SC

#7 Sep 9, 2011
There is a walking tour of "ghost stories" or hauntings. I don't have the number, but the tourguide's name is Kathy Thompson.

“Let me call my lawyer!”

Location hidden

#8 Sep 9, 2011
Lady on the Rocks wrote:
As you come in on Aska before you get to the rocks there is a gravel road on the right just after the paved road on the right. The gravel road has a small old sign that says Stanley Church. Go up that road and the Church is on the right. Go read the head stones and see how old they are. Back when my Grand Mother was born there weren't doctors like there are now so folks just had to make do. Some head stones up there are just small pieces of concrete as I understand it most of them are babies who didn't make it. There are babies buried on the other side of Aska. When babies died and the river was up, much higher than it gets now, or if people were snowed in they would bury them in jars in the yard. I know that sounds awful compared to us today but back then it was a common practice. As I have been told and it does make a lot of sense.

Let me know after you have gone up there. Do you know about the deserter buried on the other side of the river in the woods?

Take care and God bless

Syd
wow thank you sooooo much for all of this info. It's exactly what I'm looking for. I haven't heard of the deserter. Do tell. Thanks again!
Lady on the Rocks

Youngstown, FL

#9 Sep 9, 2011
JemStar wrote:
<quoted text>
wow thank you sooooo much for all of this info. It's exactly what I'm looking for. I haven't heard of the deserter. Do tell. Thanks again!
I think he was a Confederet soldier. Before he was found and killed the men who were searching for him shot and killed my Great Great Grand Father as he sat in front of his barn holding my Great Grand Father thinking he was a deserter. They did find the deserter and shot him where he stood and left him there. After they buried my Great Great Grand Father they also found and buried the deserter.

My family, Stanley, has lived up there since back in the early 1830s. That's why there is Stanley Creek, Stanley RD. and Stanley Church. My heart lives there and I long to return to my home, my love is the Blue Ridge Mountains.

“Let me call my lawyer!”

Location hidden

#10 Sep 9, 2011
Lady on the Rocks wrote:
<quoted text>I think he was a Confederet soldier. Before he was found and killed the men who were searching for him shot and killed my Great Great Grand Father as he sat in front of his barn holding my Great Grand Father thinking he was a deserter. They did find the deserter and shot him where he stood and left him there. After they buried my Great Great Grand Father they also found and buried the deserter.

My family, Stanley, has lived up there since back in the early 1830s. That's why there is Stanley Creek, Stanley RD. and Stanley Church. My heart lives there and I long to return to my home, my love is the Blue Ridge Mountains.
That's horrible. But I will tell you, I'm glad you told me this history of Blue Ridge. I'm very interested in the stories here. I appreciate you sharing that with me.:]
Sawbriar

Neeses, SC

#11 Sep 9, 2011
Lanius LaForte wrote:
There was never anyone hanged up at Tilly Bend church,especially a witch.However there was a feud between the "TILLY'S and the STANLEYs but not at the church.There is a grave that is facing west instead of east and the name on the marker is Polly Long.People say she was a witch because her grave is not facing the traditional east.Therefore a story was started that she was a witch.If people would stop and consider that if this woman was a witch and were hung she would not have been buried in a church grave yard but in an unmarked grave outside the church's grave yard.However that would be if anyone was burned or hanged for being a witch here in Fannin County{which there never has been}Lol
The only incident that involved a shooting up at Tilly Bend church can be found in recorded documents on the Fannin County Ga gen.website.Here's the link [http]://www.rootsweb.ancestry .com/~gafanni2/obitid.[/html]
[Spurgin Randolph shot and killed by Reed Hickey at Ben Tilley place. Murder trial ended in mistrial.] Tilly Bend,hence Ben Tilly!The church and graveyard was donated by Ben Tilly because it was at one time on his property.
BTW there are no ghost or witches unless you go looking for them and you might not like what you find, have you people not watched Ghost Hunters[Lol]
Lady on the Rocks

Youngstown, FL

#12 Sep 9, 2011
You are so very welcome.

Take care and God bless

Syd

“Let me call my lawyer!”

Location hidden

#13 Sep 10, 2011
Sawbriar wrote:
<quoted text>There was never anyone hanged up at Tilly Bend church,especially a witch.However there was a feud between the "TILLY'S and the STANLEYs but not at the church.There is a grave that is facing west instead of east and the name on the marker is Polly Long.People say she was a witch because her grave is not facing the traditional east.Therefore a story was started that she was a witch.If people would stop and consider that if this woman was a witch and were hung she would not have been buried in a church grave yard but in an unmarked grave outside the church's grave yard.However that would be if anyone was burned or hanged for being a witch here in Fannin County{which there never has been}Lol
The only incident that involved a shooting up at Tilly Bend church can be found in recorded documents on the Fannin County Ga gen.website.Here's the link [http]://www.rootsweb.ancestry .com/~gafanni2/obitid.[/html]
[Spurgin Randolph shot and killed by Reed Hickey at Ben Tilley place. Murder trial ended in mistrial.] Tilly Bend,hence Ben Tilly!The church and graveyard was donated by Ben Tilly because it was at one time on his property.
BTW there are no ghost or witches unless you go looking for them and you might not like what you find, have you people not watched Ghost Hunters[Lol]
ghost hunters is laaaaaame :) watch ghost adventures.

“Let me call my lawyer!”

Location hidden

#14 Sep 10, 2011
Sawbriar wrote:
<quoted text>There was never anyone hanged up at Tilly Bend church,especially a witch.However there was a feud between the "TILLY'S and the STANLEYs but not at the church.There is a grave that is facing west instead of east and the name on the marker is Polly Long.People say she was a witch because her grave is not facing the traditional east.Therefore a story was started that she was a witch.If people would stop and consider that if this woman was a witch and were hung she would not have been buried in a church grave yard but in an unmarked grave outside the church's grave yard.However that would be if anyone was burned or hanged for being a witch here in Fannin County{which there never has been}Lol
also I don't believe there are any "witches" either. That term is used loosely around here. In other words, every cemetery or haunted area is inhabited by a "witch" o.O now I do believe in paranormal entities for my own personal reasons.

I also think there's a lot of negative energy around Tilley cemetery. That could have been brought there from people trying to "summon" something, which I've read lots of stories of people going out there to do just that.
Lady on the Rocks

Youngstown, FL

#15 Sep 10, 2011
Great post. Thanks for the info.

Take care and God bless

Syd
Sawbriar

Neeses, SC

#16 Sep 10, 2011
JemStar wrote:
<quoted text>
also I don't believe there are any "witches" either. That term is used loosely around here. In other words, every cemetery or haunted area is inhabited by a "witch" o.O now I do believe in paranormal entities for my own personal reasons.
I also think there's a lot of negative energy around Tilley cemetery. That could have been brought there from people trying to "summon" something, which I've read lots of stories of people going out there to do just that.
That's a shame that people go to a place that people who were once a person are laid to rest and folks go there to conjure up something.Your right however if there is negative energy there then the one conjuring brought the bad spirits with them since that kind of stuff is occultist.Anyhow God's house is right there on the same property as the grave yard and there is church services held there every Sunday,Sunday night and Wed.night.Maybe somebody going there to conjure up the dead just might meet Christ there.You know he rose from the dead.In fact he's a for sure thing if someone goes up there looking for a Spirit!Just sayin....

“Let me call my lawyer!”

Location hidden

#17 Sep 10, 2011
Sawbriar wrote:
<quoted text>That's a shame that people go to a place that people who were once a person are laid to rest and folks go there to conjure up something.Your right however if there is negative energy there then the one conjuring brought the bad spirits with them since that kind of stuff is occultist.Anyhow God's house is right there on the same property as the grave yard and there is church services held there every Sunday,Sunday night and Wed.night.Maybe somebody going there to conjure up the dead just might meet Christ there.You know he rose from the dead.In fact he's a for sure thing if someone goes up there looking for a Spirit!Just sayin....
I'm not interested in getting in to a spiritual conversation. However I respect what you're saying but I'd just like to hear other stories pertaining to the history and places that locals consider "haunted". Thanks for your replies :)
Mountain Girl

Salisbury, NC

#18 Sep 10, 2011
Just reading & saw this about stories in Fannin. Years ago I began reading some history on that general area. I found lot's of good, valid historical background on the Indians that lived there along Hothouse creek. Especially the fact that they (Indians)used Hothouse as a healing stream or medical place to carry their sick. And there are many, many graves along the creek banks where they would bury the sick that didn't make it. Not a ghost story but nonetheless interesting.

“Let me call my lawyer!”

Location hidden

#19 Sep 10, 2011
Mountain Girl wrote:
Just reading & saw this about stories in Fannin. Years ago I began reading some history on that general area. I found lot's of good, valid historical background on the Indians that lived there along Hothouse creek. Especially the fact that they (Indians)used Hothouse as a healing stream or medical place to carry their sick. And there are many, many graves along the creek banks where they would bury the sick that didn't make it. Not a ghost story but nonetheless interesting.
very cool! I appreciate this :) I was just around hothouse creek Friday. What a coincidence.
GhostHunter

Neeses, SC

#20 Sep 11, 2011
Maybe someone would discuss the Chastain house with you.A judge recently bought it and started renovation and there has been ghostly images captured.Such as a little girl and and a confederate soldier.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blue Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Conversations with Jarrod Parmer 11 hr friend 5
My love for Stacey 11 hr friend 5
our right to say things (Oct '11) 12 hr Barry Bigass 34
Dealing with Pain (Nov '11) 12 hr Barry Bigass 13
Massive Willy Billy 16 hr Butt Plug 8
I feel so hurt, angry, and all alone.... Wed Death66 8
Who's Mitch Wed Butt Plug 4
Blue Ridge Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web