Comments
2,521 - 2,540 of 3,110 Comments Last updated Wednesday Aug 27
rebelforlife

Valley, AL

#2574 Mar 20, 2013
Hey BR Mom, how would you feel if your daughter was dead and son paralyzed? I don't want to see Jake in prison for many many years. I just want him to be punished for what he did.
Please tell Me why he should not be?
Just because he was 16 at the time is not a good reason. Or is it that the family involved is not a local? I am a local and I just don't see it any other way other than Jake must spend sometime behind bars. Do I feel bad for the Lee family, yes I do. I would not want to be in their shoes. But the Johnson family deserves for justice to be served with Jake.
Do you feel he is too good for punishment that fits the crime, yes it was a crime.
I have yet read any thing on here that can justify why Jake should not go to jail for at least the least amount possible. Please convincer why you feel this way.
LaForte Fan

Blue Ridge, GA

#2575 Mar 20, 2013
BR Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the letter in the paper and thought it was well written and made a lot of sense. It helped me understand the situation better. Of course, those who have their minds already made up and who are bent on mischief are not going to be moved by it.
Mrs. Martin (hope you don't mind me calling you by the name others do), you are from Washington, D.C. or at least that is what you have told us. You cannot therefore understand how we local people think and feel. So let me spell it out for you: No one messes with our children. That little Lee boy is one of our children.
Do you get it now?
I got it. I had it before. I was just waiting for one of you to say out loud that your children are above the law because quite obviously this is what you believe. Unfortunately, when someone tanks up on mind altering substances, breaks the speeding laws, and destroys other peoples lives they will suffer legal consequences regardless of where they were born.

I really do not care what you call me, Mrs. Martin, mentally ill, whatever because regardless of what you call me, your argument won't work in court.
Local

Hialeah, FL

#2576 Mar 20, 2013
LaForte Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I got it. I had it before. I was just waiting for one of you to say out loud that your children are above the law because quite obviously this is what you believe. Unfortunately, when someone tanks up on mind altering substances, breaks the speeding laws, and destroys other peoples lives they will suffer legal consequences regardless of where they were born.
I really do not care what you call me, Mrs. Martin, mentally ill, whatever because regardless of what you call me, your argument won't work in court.
Ditto...Ditto...Jake can get his degree in Jail! He has earned it and its free...so no one has to raise money for his education!!
BRMom

Blue Ridge, GA

#2577 Mar 21, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto...Ditto...Jake can get his degree in Jail! He has earned it and its free...so no one has to raise money for his education!!
Wow! The haters really came out on my postings. The "Local" above is about as local as Fidel Castro. I'm going to call him/her "Miami".
Hey, Miami. What a terrible thing to say "get his degree in jail." Why should a smart, good looking, well spoken like Jake be denied a future. He is probably the least likely of all the kids in Fannin County to mess up. Who can imagine the pain he feels daily, even if he did pass out because of low blood sugar (which is a real possibility). Let him soar. I understand he is already taking college classes and doing well.

All I can say is: Go Jake! Reach for the stars. Try to put the past behind you. Life's too short to listen to negative people, who are for the most part losers. We're proud of you, son!
LaForte Fan

Blue Ridge, GA

#2578 Mar 21, 2013
BRMom wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! The haters really came out on my postings. The "Local" above is about as local as Fidel Castro. I'm going to call him/her "Miami".
Hey, Miami. What a terrible thing to say "get his degree in jail." Why should a smart, good looking, well spoken like Jake be denied a future. He is probably the least likely of all the kids in Fannin County to mess up. Who can imagine the pain he feels daily, even if he did pass out because of low blood sugar (which is a real possibility). Let him soar. I understand he is already taking college classes and doing well.
All I can say is: Go Jake! Reach for the stars. Try to put the past behind you. Life's too short to listen to negative people, who are for the most part losers. We're proud of you, son!
You are the "hater" because your entire frame of reference is geography based (specifically Georgia versus Florida), but any "outsider" will do as an object of your scorn. Why don't you just come out and say the other unspoken thought that dominates your mind:

"If those Floridiots had just stayed home where they belong then Jake would be fine now and still on the football team where he belongs."

The blood sugar argument is beyond lame. Blood sugar either too high or too low does not cause people to drive 100 mph and crash into other people. If that were a valid argument all diabetics would have to forfeit their driver's license. If Jake is convicted and sentenced to jail time, he will be going to jail. If you are complicit in resisting arrest you will be going there with him.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2579 Mar 21, 2013
BRMom wrote:
<quoted text>
I have really tried to be patient and understanding with those who know Jake. It is tragic that any young man is facing a prison term over results he did not intend, BUT when he CHOSE to "huff" and drive at speeds in excess of 90 miles an hour. HE put into motion the events leading to the accident and there are consequences. Please don't insult the intelligence of those on here by talking about "low blood sugar." But you have really crossed the line so horrifically here I am stunned.
"Why should a smart, good looking, well spoken (sic) like Jake be denied a future." First of all, most are not trying to "deny him a future" - most are simply saying that actions have consequences and to deny that a reasoned punishment (NOT a "lock up and throw away the key mentality") is in order is to completely deny the pain inflicted on the Johnson family. Don't you dare EVER forget that Hannah and Owen were completely denied the futures they should have had. Do not lump all on here with the "lynch mob" that are actually very few in number. That is how you set up your straw man argument about the "haters" - it is intellectually dishonest. You completely ignore that the majority on here just want to see a punishment that acknowledges what the Johnsons have lost, while taking into account Jakes's youth- there is NO punishment that can ever make them "whole." But the consequences they will deal with the rest of their lives MUST be honored.

"Let him soar." - no comment
"Reach for the stars." Really, the Johnsons wish that Owen and Hannah could reach for ANYTHING. "Try to put the past behind you." - Absolutely, most on here would want him to be able to put this behind him and live a productive life. After he has served a reasonable sentence - again, reasonable - during which time he can work on his degree or any other mode of preparing himself for the future that HE is still capable of having.
"We're proud of you." - He may be a fine young man most of the time. He may be a great kid. BUT he also is an immature young man who chose to participate in "huffing" on more than one occasion and who broke the law by doing so, broke the law by leaving the scene of the previous accident, broke the law by having an underage occupant in his car within the first 6 months of driving and broke the law by driving at excessive speeds. When he serves his sentence stoically and uses the time wisely to prepare himself for the time afterward and perhaps speaks to young people to try and prevent another tragedy like the one he created, then there will be cause to once again say "we're proud of you."

I understand sympathy for Jake and his family, I have it as well, but this "us against them" mentality you promote is disgusting. And there are more than enough North Georgia and Blue Ridge natives on here to completely demolish the argument about "caring for our own."
LaForte Fan

Blue Ridge, GA

#2580 Mar 21, 2013
Although, I suspected this all along, I have now reached the conclusion that the only hope Jake has for redemption and any hope of becoming someone with principle and healthy ethics, he has to leave his present environment.

Jake appears to be surrounded by so-called supporters who are teaching him immorality in addition to intellectual dishonesty (better know as bullshit in some circles). Some children can tolerate randomly applied morals and get them into perspective because they instinctively know this thinking is distorted and wrong. They are able to just reject it and go on and do their own thing without malice. Other children mirror double standards, but they also sometimes suppress anger and "act out" in ways that will hurt even innocent bystanders. Can't you just hear Jake say, "Mom, Dad, I prayed for forgiveness and learned my lesson, can I have the truck keys now." He has no doubt learned to work this dysfunctional system to his short-term advantage. Teaching children duplicity isn't my idea of "support".

Horses are my life. Psychology is one of my hobbies.
Local

Hialeah, FL

#2581 Mar 21, 2013
BRMom wrote:
<quoted text>
Your about as bad as Jake except Jake committed homicide! Better yet...let him date your daughter and teach her how to "HUFF" and drink about a case of beer! Your proud of a murderer...WOW you are sicker than I thought!
Local

Hialeah, FL

#2582 Mar 21, 2013
LaForte Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the "hater" because your entire frame of reference is geography based (specifically Georgia versus Florida), but any "outsider" will do as an object of your scorn. Why don't you just come out and say the other unspoken thought that dominates your mind:
"If those Floridiots had just stayed home where they belong then Jake would be fine now and still on the football team where he belongs."
The blood sugar argument is beyond lame. Blood sugar either too high or too low does not cause people to drive 100 mph and crash into other people. If that were a valid argument all diabetics would have to forfeit their driver's license. If Jake is convicted and sentenced to jail time, he will be going to jail. If you are complicit in resisting arrest you will be going there with him.
Jake would be fine?? Your forgetting that the car in front of the Johnsons at the stop light was totaled ...I guess that couple would be dead now as well!
LaForte Fan

Blue Ridge, GA

#2583 Mar 21, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
Jake would be fine?? Your forgetting that the car in front of the Johnsons at the stop light was totaled ...I guess that couple would be dead now as well!
Local,

Read what I said again please. I was saying that the people who are supporting Jake are thinking, not quite out loud yet, that Jake would be fine if only people from Florida had stayed in Florida where they belong. Their belief, not mine.

Location hidden

#2584 Mar 21, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
I never knew there was another car involved, may I presume they were not injured? Or at least not seriously?
Local

Hialeah, FL

#2585 Mar 21, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
I never knew there was another car involved, may I presume they were not injured? Or at least not seriously?
I understand they were banged up ...but OK and they walked away! I think they were local BR people.
Local

Hialeah, FL

#2586 Mar 21, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jake also had another "accident" just moments before he hit the Johnsons and was charged with "Hit and Run" and "Leaving the Scene"...No other vehicle was involved!
LaForte Fan

Blue Ridge, GA

#2587 Mar 22, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
Jake also had another "accident" just moments before he hit the Johnsons and was charged with "Hit and Run" and "Leaving the Scene"...No other vehicle was involved!
Did you say another vehicle that was in front of the Johnsons was hit? Anyone who shared the road with that truck on that day (regardless of where they were born) was extremely lucky to walk away.

Would you please review the sequence of events as you know them and describe the total collateral damage?

Does anyone have an idea of what the average length of time between a vehicular homocide charge and the trial date might be? I've heard this judicial district is somewhat notorious for dragging their feet when it comes to trying cases of any kind.
Time will tell

Washington, DC

#2588 Mar 22, 2013
I suspect that "BRMom" is a former classmate of Jake's (probably one of his huffing buddies). The 'stars' he/she refers to are the ones they see after inhaling some aerosol spray or paint.

I was talking to a cousin yesterday (BR resident) about this thread and he had the best quote that pretty much describes how I feel after reading some of the recent posts. "I don't read that forum thing every day, but every time I do I end up rooting for that kid to see some serious jail time more and more. That is one stone cold heartless family to fan flames against innocent people who lost a child like that."
LaForte Fan

Blue Ridge, GA

#2589 Mar 22, 2013
I would have voted against jail time, but they managed to flip me. Even prison inmates have to be more humane and provide a more honest less FUBAR environment.
Local

Hialeah, FL

#2590 Mar 22, 2013
LaForte Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you say another vehicle that was in front of the Johnsons was hit? Anyone who shared the road with that truck on that day (regardless of where they were born) was extremely lucky to walk away.
Would you please review the sequence of events as you know them and describe the total collateral damage?
Does anyone have an idea of what the average length of time between a vehicular homocide charge and the trial date might be? I've heard this judicial district is somewhat notorious for dragging their feet when it comes to trying cases of any kind.
Yes, it was a white Jeep SUV...it was totaled! Jake had an "accident" just moments before hitting the Johnsons. He took out a guard rail while trying to speed away ( hit and run and leaving the scene)...after he saw a police vehicle waiting at the red light 3/4 of a mile before he hit the Johnson vehicle and the white Jeep.

I understand the time frame can go out as long as several years with the appeals etc.

Location hidden

#2591 Mar 22, 2013
I admit I do not know enough about the family to say anything, so there may be people who know them that can refute what I am about to say. And I also did not see the ad the lawyer put in the paper and I would assume the family approved it and perhaps that might impact my opinion. That being said, I really cannot blame the parents for doing anything they can to delay the trial. I would presume the rationale is that the further out this goes, the less inflamed public opinion may be. I do not doubt they are heartsick over the pain their son has inflicted on the Johnsons, but their first and foremost concern is their son and I cannot claim I would be any different, I am grateful that I have not been in their shoes and I pray I never am. I suspect they know their son will be incarcerated for some period of time and they are doing all in their power to minimize that time. To those of us looking at the big picture which prioritizes the Johnson family, that may seem cold, but as a parent I understand. And I expect there will be some on here to criticize my opinion and I acknowledge you may be in the right. I am not agreeing with what they may or may not be doing, but I do not consider them cold or heartless for doing it. Again, I am basing this on no personal knowledge. My sympathy does not change the fact that I believe Jake must face some serious punishment.
LaForte Fan

Blue Ridge, GA

#2592 Mar 22, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it was a white Jeep SUV...it was totaled! Jake had an "accident" just moments before hitting the Johnsons. He took out a guard rail while trying to speed away ( hit and run and leaving the scene)...after he saw a police vehicle waiting at the red light 3/4 of a mile before he hit the Johnson vehicle and the white Jeep.
I understand the time frame can go out as long as several years with the appeals etc.
What damage was there in the "accident" that happened before the "accident"? Just a guardrail or was another vehicle hit?
LaForte Fan

Blue Ridge, GA

#2593 Mar 22, 2013
The letter published by the Lee's attorney was over the top verbose and the same themes you have seen here, including a warning about the "outsider" attorney hired by the Johnsons. I could condense it into about three sentences but you would probably read it for yourself. The charges appear to contain room for a plea bargain. I would encourage my son to own up to what he did and hire the best attorney I could to get the best negotiated sentence possible and save the taxpapers all of this expense that will just delay the inevitable.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blue Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rebel flags in town is also a joke 1 hr white trash beaut... 120
New football coach is a joke 4 hr Man in Plaid 30
whistle stop 8 hr Caz67 21
Mark seven auto plex (Jun '13) 22 hr bubba 30
Hair dressers Sun Dixie 6
Lawyers Sun idiots on this pa... 18
THOTS Blue Ridge Sun Melvin 2
•••

Blue Ridge News Video

•••