Badger

Suwanee, GA

#2332 Feb 14, 2013
Sad in Blue Ridge wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know the other family, and I am very sorry for their loss.
With that being said, putting a bright, young man who made a poor decision behind bars for 10 years makes no sense and is not going to bring anyone back from the grave. I'd like to seem him acheive his full potential. Go to college. Become a productive member of society, rather than sitting behind bars at taxpayers expense.
If you are so gun ho in putting him away, why don't you send your pay check in each month to fund his incarceration.
It was a sad, sad, sad ACCIDENT. I am sure Jake feels terrible about what happened. Sending him to jail is not th answer. He needs to be going to college, finding a wife and settling down.
Pray for the Lee family.
Both families are suffering. An earlier post only reported that the young man would be tried as an adult. He hasn't been convicted of anything. If he's adult enough to drive a vehicle, he is old enough to be treated as a man in Court. Bad decisions have consequences.
Time will tell

Washington, DC

#2333 Feb 14, 2013
Sad in Blue Ridge wrote:
<quoted text>
\With that being said, putting a bright, young man who made a poor decision behind bars for 10 years makes no sense and is not going to bring anyone back from the grave.
"Bright" is not a word I would use to describe any kid who rots his brain from the inside out by huffing and then drives a big truck at mach speed into the back of a family vehicle.
Sad in Blue Ridge wrote:
<quoted text>
\If you are so gun ho in putting him away, why don't you send your pay check in each month to fund his incarceration.
We do. It's called paying taxes. Some of us pay more than others and I, for one, think that serving justice to the Johnson family and keeping dangerous and unrepentant drivers (insert the word 'criminal' here, for they are one and the same in this case) is one of the few worthy expenses of my tax dollars.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
rebelforlife

Waxhaw, NC

#2334 Feb 14, 2013
Sad in Blue Ridge wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know the other family, and I am very sorry for their loss.

With that being said, putting a bright, young man who made a poor decision behind bars for 10 years makes no sense and is not going to bring anyone back from the grave. I'd like to seem him acheive his full potential. Go to college. Become a productive member of society, rather than sitting behind bars at taxpayers expense.

If you are so gun ho in putting him away, why don't you send your pay check in each month to fund his incarceration.

It was a sad, sad, sad ACCIDENT. I am sure Jake feels terrible about what happened. Sending him to jail is not th answer. He needs to be going to college, finding a wife and settling down.

Pray for the Lee family.
You are so out of touch with the real world. He is a killer. Killers must be punished. The prisons are full of good people who screwed up. After talking to a lot of his friends who saw him that night I have a hard time with the statements of him being a sweet little boy and he don't deserve to go to jail. That's BS. How can anyone want him not to be punished. If a young man robs a store And kills someone, but when caught says he is sorry and wants to go to school and have a good life should we say OK you can go free because your sorry?
If he killed your baby you would feel a hell of a lot different.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Orion

United States

#2335 Feb 15, 2013
rebelforlife wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so out of touch with the real world. He is a killer. Killers must be punished. The prisons are full of good people who screwed up. After talking to a lot of his friends who saw him that night I have a hard time with the statements of him being a sweet little boy and he don't deserve to go to jail. That's BS. How can anyone want him not to be punished. If a young man robs a store And kills someone, but when caught says he is sorry and wants to go to school and have a good life should we say OK you can go free because your sorry?
If he killed your baby you would feel a hell of a lot different.
Rebel for Life -- Do you know this young man and his family? He is wonderful, intelligent, lovely young man. His family are good decent, hard-working, church-going people. How can you make such statements about him.

Let me ask you this, have you ever done any thing foolish? If you haven't you are not telling the truth.

Jack messed up, no doubt about it. Still, he and his family need our support. Hate and vengence is not the answer. A better solution -- instead of jail -- would be for the court to assign him so many hours of community service so he could go around to schools, churches and civic groups telling the dangers of 'huffing'.(I must confess I had never heard of it before all this came up.

By the way, does anyone know if a fund had been set up to help the Lee family?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Badger

Suwanee, GA

#2336 Feb 15, 2013
Orion wrote:
<quoted text>
Rebel for Life -- Do you know this young man and his family? He is wonderful, intelligent, lovely young man. His family are good decent, hard-working, church-going people. How can you make such statements about him.
Let me ask you this, have you ever done any thing foolish? If you haven't you are not telling the truth.
Jack messed up, no doubt about it. Still, he and his family need our support. Hate and vengence is not the answer. A better solution -- instead of jail -- would be for the court to assign him so many hours of community service so he could go around to schools, churches and civic groups telling the dangers of 'huffing'.(I must confess I had never heard of it before all this came up.
Perhaps a jury will see things the same way. The young man messed up big time. He took a life of one child and paralyzed another child for life. If he vandalized private property of shoplifted, Community Service would be fitting. Personally, I think his punishment needs to be a little more severe.
You are nuts

Blue Ridge, GA

#2337 Feb 15, 2013
Orion wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure you don' t huff ? Clearly you are on something mind bending. A FUND ?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Just Saying

Blue Ridge, GA

#2338 Feb 15, 2013
Orion wrote:
<quoted text>
I think your idea about the court assigning him community service so the danger of huffing could be told is one full of common sense. I don't know this kid but I feel sorry for him and his family. I also agree jail would do no good. May God look over this precious family.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
rebelforlife

Lancaster, SC

#2339 Feb 15, 2013
Orion wrote:
<quoted text>Rebel for Life -- Do you know this young man and his family? He is wonderful, intelligent, lovely young man. His family are good decent, hard-working, church-going people. How can you make such statements about him.

Don't matter how well I know him. When I have been around him ( before incident) was not impressed with his smart mouth and better than you actions. And yes Made mistakes and I had to pay for them just like everyone else does, we'll except the ones who have money. Like JR Ewing said, rice people don't go to prison, they find a fall guy to do the time for them.
rebelforlife

Lancaster, SC

#2340 Feb 15, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>I think your idea about the court assigning him community service so the danger of huffing could be told is one full of common sense. I don't know this kid but I feel sorry for him and his family. I also agree jail would do no good. May God look over this precious family.
The most he will serve is no more than 18 months or so. He will not do the 10 years like everyone on here is crying about. This info came from a person connected to the incident.
The boy will be fine. A little time behind bars in a minimum security prison for rich kids is NOTHING compared to the death and life sentence he gave to the Johnson family.
Local

Hollywood, FL

#2341 Feb 18, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
I think your idea about the court assigning him community service so the danger of huffing could be told is one full of common sense. I don't know this kid but I feel sorry for him and his family. I also agree jail would do no good. May God look over this precious family.
Your NUTS!!!!

He murdered a little girl!

He faces 16 counts...everything from 2 counts of Vehicular homicide,...and more.......... plus he had an accident just before he hit the johnsons and didn't stop for that! WOW you are clueless!

Precious....Wow... they even let him drive a vehicle after the acci.... I should say murder!
rebelforlife

Douglasville, GA

#2342 Feb 19, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>I think your idea about the court assigning him community service so the danger of huffing could be told is one full of common sense. I don't know this kid but I feel sorry for him and his family. I also agree jail would do no good. May God look over this precious family.

He is not the angel everyone makes him out to be. If the Johnson's would have hit Jake and paralyzed him would Bob Lee want them to go unpunished?
FCHS

Blue Ridge, GA

#2343 Feb 20, 2013
rebelforlife wrote:
<quoted text>
He is not the angel everyone makes him out to be. If the Johnson's would have hit Jake and paralyzed him would Bob Lee want them to go unpunished?
I went to school with him. He is a good kid. He needs a break. All this hate being spread throughout cyberspace on this forum won't bring anyone back from the grave. Let's give Jake a chance to make the world a better place. It was an accident. From what I understand he pass out.
Badger

Suwanee, GA

#2344 Feb 20, 2013
FCHS wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to school with him. He is a good kid. He needs a break. All this hate being spread throughout cyberspace on this forum won't bring anyone back from the grave. Let's give Jake a chance to make the world a better place. It was an accident. From what I understand he pass out.
He passed out? What a convenient defense! What caused this young man to "pass out"?
rebelforlife

Douglasville, GA

#2345 Feb 20, 2013
Badger wrote:
<quoted text>He passed out? What a convenient defense! What caused this young man to "pass out"?
Passed out my ass. He was intoxicated and killed a child and paralyzed another. Why should he get a break. The Johnson family will NEVER have a break for as long as they live.
I don't understand how people can feel sorry for a child killer. Yes he is a child killer and it was no accident. He did what he did because he got behind the wheel and drove while under the influence.
If he killed your child would you give him a pass on his punishment.
Badger

Suwanee, GA

#2346 Feb 20, 2013
rebelforlife wrote:
<quoted text>
Passed out my ass. He was intoxicated and killed a child and paralyzed another. Why should he get a break. The Johnson family will NEVER have a break for as long as they live.
I don't understand how people can feel sorry for a child killer. Yes he is a child killer and it was no accident. He did what he did because he got behind the wheel and drove while under the influence.
Hey Rebel! I'm with you! I was responding to FCSH's post.
anonymous

Windermere, FL

#2347 Feb 20, 2013
1) The judge doesn't really get to decide his punishment. The legislature does that. The judge will have sentencing guidelines to follow, and he can give Jacob a sentence anywhere in that span set out for him. However, the judge cannot simply decide to give him community service, unless it happens to be within the sentencing guidelines (I suspect not for vehicular homicide). So while the judge can decide to go "easy" on him and give him a lighter sentence, it still has to be at least what the GA legislature has set out as the minimum sentence for any crime he is found guilty of.

2) the guidelines are based on the charges. The State looked at the evidence and decided what they could "prove" based on the elements of each crime as described in the statutes and that's how they determined the charges. Could it have been politically motivated? Sure- sometimes you have to use someone as an example. And setting a precedent that if you drive wrecklessly, especially if you're intoxicated, and you devestate an entire family and community, we are going to throw the book at you- is a pretty important one to set.

3)If you don't like how any of these things work- pay attention to who you vote for on a local level. They are the ones who write the guidelines and statutes outlining the elements of a crime. Elect someone who shares your views on mandatory sentencing.
Local

Hialeah, FL

#2348 Feb 20, 2013
rebelforlife wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm with you...was it... the nearly a case of empty beer cans in the truck...the chemicals in his blood that he was "huffing" or the hit and run a few minutes before he hit the Johnsons....No Breaks!!!
fcounty

Mcdonough, GA

#2349 Feb 20, 2013
An eye for an eye will leave the world blind. Jake really messed up the lives of this family forever. But he has also altered his own life and those around him. Jake did not willingly go out and kill this child. He made a mistake that cost a life. And maybe did not cost he and his family a life of theirs but he certainly altered the lee family's livelihood. Trust me when I say that the lee family has faced more tribulation with this than we can imagine. And yes, jake deserves punishment. But he is a juvenile. What is the point in having juvenile court if there is a gray median that determines what is juvenile or adult. Trial him like a 16 year old that he was. Put your own kids in these shoes if at all possible. I think jake deserves punishment. But no one can judge him except for God and himself. This topic has brought nothing but hate against people you know nothing about. If it wasn't for this topic, most of you wouldn't know the family's name.
LaForte Fan

Blue Ridge, GA

#2350 Feb 20, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm with you...was it... the nearly a case of empty beer cans in the truck...the chemicals in his blood that he was "huffing" or the hit and run a few minutes before he hit the Johnsons....No Breaks!!!
I am with Rebel on this one. This irresponsible driver should be available 24/7 to change the diapers of the surviving child for as long as he lives. Two thirds of his income for life should go to the Johnson's.
FYI ALL

Hialeah, FL

#2351 Feb 20, 2013
fcounty wrote:
An eye for an eye will leave the world blind. Jake really messed up the lives of this family forever. But he has also altered his own life and those around him. Jake did not willingly go out and kill this child. He made a mistake that cost a life. And maybe did not cost he and his family a life of theirs but he certainly altered the lee family's livelihood. Trust me when I say that the lee family has faced more tribulation with this than we can imagine. And yes, jake deserves punishment. But he is a juvenile. What is the point in having juvenile court if there is a gray median that determines what is juvenile or adult. Trial him like a 16 year old that he was. Put your own kids in these shoes if at all possible. I think jake deserves punishment. But no one can judge him except for God and himself. This topic has brought nothing but hate against people you know nothing about. If it wasn't for this topic, most of you wouldn't know the family's name.
I know them and anyone or family who would let their son drive after he murdered and maimed an entire family...I have questions about them as well! Its past him being tried as a juvenile. The appellate court ruled he will be tried as an adult. As far as hate...when they took out a full page AD in the local paper...I think that sent the subject over the top for me! I would love my son but I would make him stand up to the plate!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blue Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is that smell?? 6 hr FLOBR 1
Hey WLH 12 hr Silly Billy 9
The Tavern (Apr '14) Dec 17 no name 14
Shepherds Loft, LLC (Feb '09) Dec 17 no name 13
FYI, please love me Dec 17 laughing at you 5
Looking for pitty Dec 16 bite me 2
Please STOP Dec 16 Local 1

Blue Ridge News Video

Blue Ridge Dating
Find my Match