Eisenhower Student Dies
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Susan

United States

#1 Nov 15, 2009
Has anyone else heard about the suicide of a 14-year-old Eisenhower student? I heard the young man, Matthew, shot himself but I can't find the story anywhere. If this just a rumor, it's horrible and if it's true, the family must be in agony.
joe

Schererville, IN

#2 Nov 15, 2009
Yes, unfortunaltely it is true. My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Susan

United States

#3 Nov 15, 2009
So sad--he was such a nice kid and there will be no public wake or funeral since the family chooses it to be so. I hope that Eisenhower will have support for the children since the few I've talked to are really shaken.
Carol

AOL

#4 Nov 15, 2009
Many of the Blue Island young people are shaken-as are their parents.....
Please be kind to all of the youngsters as you never know which kind word of encouragement smile or moment could make a difference in the life of any one of them or their parents.
Resident of Blue Island

Chicago, IL

#5 Nov 16, 2009
Yes it is true. Young Cervantes took his life with is father gun. May God have mercy on his soul. The reasons I've heard are hard to understand and will leave you shaken.
HMM

United States

#6 Nov 16, 2009
This poor soul may God have mercy on his soul. Eisenhower sent out letters immediatly to all parents at the school the students were told and counciling services were offered. This not the first student to do this from eisenhower but the first that the school has taken some action and hopefully they will continue the newspaper will not cover this for many reasons hopefully the church will grant him a service as it is the norm that suicdes are not permitted for obvious reasons not to. He left school early during the school day 2nd or 3rd period hopefully the school will implement some sort of policy or system for when a student is present then truant they have a sign out policy when a student leaves why not when a student is absent for classes a phone call to parents this schoo; lacks communication with parents and I mean verbal not computer They have set up a wonderful system ofcreating a barrier between all staff and parent. They have security at entrances and cameras I am aware that there are many students and only so many security personel and many behavioral distractions they have to concentrate on but perhaps if in the system they could create when teachers take attendence and electronically the office be notified. These are our children entrusted to them they should be able to account for their where abouts some type of automated message so that a parent would know of their child truancys and missed classes and not at report card time or progress report.This family nightmare and heartwrenching ache my prayers so they may have strengh in coping with this tragedy
Susan

Gilman, IL

#7 Nov 16, 2009
What religion is so unforgiving? Even the Catholic church understands depression:
"We know that God is a merciful God. When a person commits suicide they are not in control of their mental faculties. Depression is an illness that left unattended can sometimes lead people to contemplate suicide. God cannot condemn someone who did not know what they were doing. The Lordís mercy is never ending. When someone commits suicide we pray to the Lord for them and their family." http://home.att.net/~faithleap/suicide.htm
MAMR

Mchenry, IL

#8 Nov 17, 2009
Unfortunatly, the Catholic Church believes when you commit suicide you go straight to hell with no chance for Redemption. But I believe that due to his age and his own reasons for doing commiting this act, God will forgive him. What have people heard his reasons were?
Susan

Gilman, IL

#9 Nov 17, 2009
MAMR wrote:
Unfortunatly, the Catholic Church believes when you commit suicide you go straight to hell with no chance for Redemption. But I believe that due to his age and his own reasons for doing commiting this act, God will forgive him. What have people heard his reasons were?
No it does not teach that suicides go to hell and the information in my post above is taken from a reliable, Roman Catholic source.
According to the Catholic catechism: "Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide."
Christopher Kelly, a recent suicide in the news, had his funeral mass at St. John the Cross Catholic Church and it was totally sanctioned.
The story going around town is that Matt had cancer, as if that's a more polite death than suicide but like any horrible secret, the truth gets out. What happened is bad enough and having known Matt, this is a loss to all of us since he was a kind, intelligent, and funny kid.
Blue Island Citizen

Chicago, IL

#10 Nov 17, 2009
"Cancer"! The boy had cancer? Where did this story come from? This is new to the people I've talked to who were the boys friends. There was never mention of Cancer anywhere in the notes he left.
I find it odd that his parents cremated him quickly, without a wake! Can anybody clarify these rumors & stories flying about?
Susan

Gilman, IL

#11 Nov 17, 2009
There was no cancer but a horrible disease does not have the social stigma of suicide. I wish the family had allowed Matt's classmate to say good-bye but if this is the wish of the family, it's none of our business except tp pray for their healing.
MAMR

Mchenry, IL

#12 Nov 17, 2009
That may very well be the case but unfortunatlly this is what Matthew's believe's. I am a close member of his family and although I do not practice the Catholic relegion they do and these are their belief's.

No there was no Cancer and he was not cremated.
Susan

Gilman, IL

#13 Nov 17, 2009
MAMR wrote:
That may very well be the case but unfortunatlly this is what Matthew's believe's. I am a close member of his family and although I do not practice the Catholic relegion they do and these are their belief's.
No there was no Cancer and he was not cremated.
Then they are wrong and if they have a priest who is any sort of a priest, he would tell them so to ease their pain.(I teach theology and do know) Cremation is also allowed by the Church now too.
I know there was no cancer--it was death by self inflicted gunshot from a family firearm.
Blue Island Citizen

Chicago, IL

#14 Nov 17, 2009
All the kids who knew him are telling me about notes he left that were very detailed in their despair and anger. The ones he supposively left his parents are filled with venom and accusations. I have told these kids to say nothing about these notes unless they have concrete proof. They say his best friends are telling every one in Eisenhower HS about them. Not good.
Susan

Gilman, IL

#15 Nov 17, 2009
Blue Island Citizen wrote:
All the kids who knew him are telling me about notes he left that were very detailed in their despair and anger. The ones he supposively left his parents are filled with venom and accusations. I have told these kids to say nothing about these notes unless they have concrete proof. They say his best friends are telling every one in Eisenhower HS about them. Not good.
I read some of his poems online and, if they are by him, they are chilling. I do not know why the family chose to handle this tragedy with such stealth but this is causing more rumors and outright lies in the case of the Catholic Church, suicides going to hell, and the content of suicide notes that were left or not. I have got to give credit to the Ali family who were frank in discussing Tariq's suicide and allowed his friends to rage and mourn. This is such a sad disaster.
MAMR

Mchenry, IL

#16 Nov 17, 2009
Where did you find Matthew's poems? I wasn't aware he had any online. I also do not agree with how the family is handleing this but all we can do is know that he is in God's protection. From I have been told the notes were filled with anger and hurt. I know Matthew was a wonderful, kind, sweet boy but I believe when he made this decision he was very confused. I think he meant for this to be a cry for help that ended the wrong way.
Blue Island Citizen

Chicago, IL

#17 Nov 17, 2009
MAMR wrote>I think he meant for this to be a cry for help that ended the wrong way. <
You are absolutely correct. This boy was in need and he made it known that somebody needed to hear him....but all he got were deaf ears. Tragic.
HMM

United States

#18 Nov 17, 2009
Poor child distraught with life and young to carry these burdens A cry for help all ignored.When his girlfriend dumped him for another,so much emotional pain ontop of other Kids picking on him an easy target everyone knew no one did nothing.He was a band geek as they say no excuse maybe the mindless goons who picked on him will consider there actions or the authorities at the school will be more aware I have heard of kids spitting in other peoples food and other disgusting behaviors just to intimidate or to make that person the butt of thier jokes sick minded future citizens of the future report it to security reply You didnt get hurt(well not physically so I guess it did not count) kids say he gave a letter to his friend to give to the ex-girlfriend inturn she gave it to security. No action was taken. What makes even worse kids knew he was an easy target to get picked on and they regret not sticking up for him it sounds this is quite common in the scholl among some of the kids at the school and some kids can "handle it and some kids cant and some times other kids step in and tell the other kids to stop. The term used was kids messed around with him alot I asked what do mean-response they picked on him. He is having a private service chicago heights panazzo bros. you can leave a message online at their website
Susan

Gilman, IL

#19 Nov 17, 2009
Cannot find the poem but I'm still searching.
I think this at You Tube may have started the cancer rumors
MAMR

Mchenry, IL

#20 Nov 17, 2009
HHM;
I agree with what you are saying on how kids treat eachother these days, it is horrible and I wish there was more we could do. But just to clarify, when the girl took the note to sercurity, they did call the police, who then went to the house.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blue Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
JAWA water project (Jun '12) 14 min BI Deserves Better 777
Robert Rita takes the oath. Becomes a member of... (Jan '15) 53 min Prenwinkle 211
BI Schools 130 (Apr '13) 3 hr Gazer 64
Mexican Drugs a Scourge on Blue Island (Mar '14) 7 hr very suspicious 150
Daytime shooting in alley at 12600 block of Elm... 8 hr Blue Island conne... 30
Village Attorney for Robbins Illinois Failed t... (May '16) 13 hr Natalie Moore 37
Keep Balbo Monument in Place Thu Whats next 1

Blue Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blue Island Mortgages