Dorothy

West Plains, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

I've just heard that the festival's name is changing. Does anyone know why? It's taken almost four years to get used to the name change.
billbilly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

They need to go back to the beginning and go back to spring and fall fest.
hometown girl

Squires, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

Food and Forest: What does it represent? We "willer" people like food!!!!!! Forest stood for the Forestry Dept because they used to help with the cost of the festival, which they don't do anymore.

The City of Willow Springs didn't have a festival between Food and Forest and Oz Fall Festival because of a thief. Jane Bailey created a festival that could include multiple parts that could attach to a play for the Star Theater to bring more people into town. The Chamber upset the Forestry Dept when the theft happened and they have not supported our festival since. Jane put together the festival and wasn't reimbursed for the money she put into the first one. Instead, all of the proceeds went to the Chamber for the next year. For that, I think we should all be very thankful.

For 5 years, children have enjoyed Oz Fall Fest. The Badge of Courage can be represented by the VFW, American Legions, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts.
The Scarecrow's Brains are represented by all the school clubs such as FFA and Spanish Club to name a few. The Tinman's Heart was represented by three health clinics in town as well as the nursing home and many churches that came to support the community they love.
The Star Theater has received a lot of publicity due to the Wizard of Oz play. Besides, there is "no place like home!"
What will you call the 5th Annual Auntie Em's Quilt Show, or 5th Annual Auntie Em's Fall Bounty? The theme can be used for all kinds of aspects of the town and is unique. Why choose a generic festival name to look just like all the surrounding towns? What makes our festival stand out?

If the chamber wants a new theme, how about bringing back the SPRING FESTIVAL? Growing up, there were two festivals. Why can't there be two again? The festival brings commerce and new people to town. Wouldn't two festivals be better than one?
Guess

Ava, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

I would be interested in knowing what Jane spent money on getting the first festival going. Jane is not going to spend one dime that she doesn't have to.

The Oz theme is something that several have had a problem with. I, personally, don't care. If people are going to attend, they will attend, no matter what it is called.

I've never heard that the Forestry quit supporting it because of the thief at the chamber office. In fact, I've never heard that the Forestry Dept. ever supported it financially. The "wood" part of the festival was something that no one wanted to take care of. Ray Birdsong used to do a great job with it. It's quite a chore and no one wanted to take it on. That's a fact.

There were several other festivals going on this weekend. I'm wondering if we need to quit having one in the fall and start having one in the spring instead.
Find your roots

Branson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

The Forest Service NEVER supported the festival financially but only helped with the forestry events, Jane Never funded the event with her own $$. Oz Fest was a novel idea but Toto we aren't in Kansas anymore (actually never have been). It has ran it's course we are a bit of a laughing stock in the area because everyone doesn't see the reasoning behind Oz Fest. Why not just go back to your roots and have Food & Forest people are all about preserving the past in Willow (Ferguson Bldg, Star Theatre etc) well then preserve a little more of it with reviving our original festival. Bring back some demonstrations and the cloggers. Food and Forest never has been like every other festival and never will be if we revive it.
Guess

Ava, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Then let your opinion be known to the chamber board. They've been trying to get rid of Jane running this for a couple of years but no one wants to listen to her crying and they cave on it. It's time someone with a backbone started running the chamber (and a few other things in this town).
Jake2

Forsyth, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Isn't the new funeral home proof positive that it doesn't matter what "the people" want-Willow is ran entirely by 2 or 3 people-and they bulldoze over anyone who says different!
not sure

Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

What the heck does new funeral home have do with anything? If someone wants to build a building in a town and open a business (legal) then why would you stop them. It's their choice to compete with any other local business. Opinions like that are why Willow is in the shape it is (i.e. Wal-Mart in Mtn. View)
Jake2

Forsyth, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

You must not be from Willow--my point was, the majority of people DID NOT want a funeral home AT THAT LOCATION! not especially the business--just where they were putting it--Like I said--you must not be from Willow Springs
huh

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Where are they planning on putting it?
Hometown girl

Squires, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

The old bus barn was torn down and the new building by the Cox Clinic and the Booster field. Isn't a funeral home just what you want to see at booster field for family games? Horrible idea
What

Ava, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

What the devil does the funeral home have to do with Oz Fall Fest? And who cares where it is located? I doubt anyone will come out of the funeral home and bother anyone walking in the park or want to play baseball or tennis with them.

Perhaps the new funeral home will have friendly compassionate people running it unlike the present funeral home.
Hometown girl

Squires, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

But who wants to go to the park and have a funeral home next to it? A much more appropriate avenue wanted to go in the spot, but was shot down by certain individuals.
WSB

Branson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

What was the appropriate venue?
What

Ava, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Please read the topic of this thread. It is not about funeral homes.
who

Forsyth, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Jake2 wrote:
You must not be from Willow--my point was, the majority of people DID NOT want a funeral home AT THAT LOCATION! not especially the business--just where they were putting it--Like I said--you must not be from Willow Springs
the omly person that i have heard that didn`t want the funeral home where it is was a person that has a sheet metal business on the other side of the drs.office-and that was because he wanted the property but probably wouldn`t pay the price.
Tydmark Murijourn

Forsyth, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Oz fest has a lot to do with funeral homes. It's held in the fall, thats the time for Halloween and everyone knows that Ozzy is the prince of darkness.
huh

Deepwater, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

I think that is a very poor location for a funeral home. Does the city own the land?
oldetimer

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Oh my gosh people will complain about anything and everything. The funeral home will look a heck of a lot better than that a falling down bus barn. Who cares what the name of the festival is. Oz fest, food and forrest day WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!! You people need to grow up.
grump

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Just because once person in Willow is obsessed with the Wizard of Oz, that means the Oz theme is forced upon the entire town?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Blue Eye Discussions

Search the Blue Eye Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 10 min Yellow Dawg Democrat 95,649
Sorry to hear about Monty Beltz! (Apr '10) 1 hr Sarah crase 71
WARNING for Willow Springs 9 hr concerned 6
Willow Fire Dept SUV 10 hr lovecougars 1
Who was arrested? Sat Zarpheous 1
Midwest Walnut Sat hdifnrj 6
places for rent in willowsprings Jul 26 muddog81 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Blue Eye Jobs

•••