February snowstorm remains costly for...

February snowstorm remains costly for Edenville area orchardist

There are 32 comments on the Public Opinion story from Jun 21, 2010, titled February snowstorm remains costly for Edenville area orchardist. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

An Edenville fruit grower is feeling the bite of a blizzard more than four months after 2 feet of snow melted away.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
otus

Chambersburg, PA

#24 Jun 22, 2010
Buck Rogers wrote:
You got money to go to Florida, you have money for a lawyer. Dwayne and his company have really tried to be "good neighbors" after the initial opposition. I find him to be a very pleasant man who tries to be active in the community. While I do not agree with the whole quarry/asphalt plant, I do find him to be an overall nice man. I'm sure he didn't go out to Edenville in a blizzard thinking I'm going to play demolition derby with some apple trees. He and the VQ drivers were trying to help.
Now, because Johnny Appleseed loses some trees, do you think VQ and STDI will be willing to help out their neighbors the next time there is a flood, blizzard, etc? Maybe you should blame the idiots that were out driving in the first place. Those Ram 3500 Cummins or Powerstrokes sure look bad driving down the highway blowing your black smoke but they aren't a match for nature. Make the clowns that were out driving pay for it.
how can you like mr. johnson, but totally disagree with everything he is about. he wouldnt even be in this town if it wasnt for the quarry. the only reason he went out in the snow is to make money. rather its for him getting paid to plow or if it is so his trucks can get out. he messed up enough of the st. thomas orchards by turning them into gravel pit. its time to make him pay for this. go down to the st. thomas legion tonight and watch him get drunk and then tell me how nice of a guy he is.
wasted rock ranger

Chambersburg, PA

#25 Jun 22, 2010
Edenvillian wrote:
The people that were stuck were not out playing around. They were trying to get home from work. Chambersburg road were not that bad so they had no idea that the roads were drifting shut in Edenville. So before you go on about people driving on the roads maybe you should know all of the facts first.
<quoted text>
i agree 100 percent! i was stuck on the Appleway overnight at a persons house i didnt even know. they were very nice and treated me like family. i was on my way home from work and the appleway was the only way i could go. everything else was shut down. i didnt get off the appleway till 1 p.m. friday and the storm was on wednesday. nobody knew how bad it was unless they were back there.
Ft McCordian

Chambersburg, PA

#26 Jun 22, 2010
A Rational Person wrote:
It makes no sense that the second loader was trying to get the first one out. why didn't the second loader continue with clearing the road and worry about getting the first loader latter on? Seems like bad judgment here by someone PennDot maybe?
As for the people on the road, there is no excuse for not knowing that blizzard conditions existed. It was all over the radio and TV that night. I would bet that most of the people stuck had taken the attitude that "I'm driving a 4X4 I can make it". STDI is just being stupid and a bad neighbor. I would supect the next time they try to open a quarry the citizens won't be as willing to help them.
i work at a warehouse in Greencastle. i had no idea things were this bad in edenville because greencastle was fine. i do have a 4 wheel drive, but my priotity was to get home to my 4 boys and wife. not to be out drivng around. appleway was the only road open at the time (or so everyone thought), to get to ft. mccord. I didnt make it. i was stuck till noon on thursday and had to walk to st. thomas. unless you were stranded back there you have know right to say what people were doing. it was a very bad experience and i hope you never have to go through it.
Ft McCordian

Chambersburg, PA

#27 Jun 22, 2010
abc wrote:
Most of the traffic that night was JLG cause they made their employees finish the shift and most of them was stranded on rt30 and Chet's Orchard and they were trying to get them home with their loved ones!! I also live in Edenville and we were not able to get out til Friday!!
Amen! I got written up at work for missing Thursday and Friday. Hell i didnt even get my vechile out till Friday at noon. My boss didnt understand how i couldnt make it to work. I told him that he wouldnt understand unless he was back there.
out to help that night

Biglerville, PA

#28 Jun 22, 2010
They were not the ones that caused that damage if you read the paper you would notice it was not there loader valley quarries loaders did not have teeth on.
St Thomas

Greencastle, PA

#29 Jun 22, 2010
all I have to say is if it was my family or my child out there in the cold I would want someone to help them people could have died. I think it sucks that trees were lost but you can replant a tree you can't replace a life.
Really

Greencastle, PA

#30 Jun 22, 2010
That day JLG, Letterkenney and others were open and most people who work these days where going home. Over 100 people were stranded on us 30 and other roads close to the Saint Thomas,Edenville,Fort Loudon area. To my Knowledge Saint Thomas Development was asked to help VQ and The Pennsylvania national guard, Because of the location.To my Knowledge and the 7+ foot drifts stranding the motorists know one died due to the brave help of individuals who i'm sure loved to be out in whiteout blizzard conditions.Bring the community out to help the farmer.Do a fundraiser or something.Going after people who tried to help will only insure next time they wont help and it could be your family who needs help.
Jay Jay

AOL

#31 Jun 22, 2010
Thankfully, PA has some pretty strong “Good Samaritan” laws that protect people who honestly try to help others.
what

Chambersburg, PA

#32 Jun 23, 2010
taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
She needs a water softner for her new well.
Rotting egg smell is caused by sulfur, not water hardness. A water softener won't take care of sulfur.
Forsure

Shippensburg, PA

#33 Jun 23, 2010
Jay Jay wrote:
Thankfully, PA has some pretty strong “Good Samaritan” laws that protect people who honestly try to help others.
Yea like destroy one pesons property so you can get some idiot out of a snow drift. Somes screwy to me. I say sue the heck out of the operators and see what happens then.
waternymph

Laurel, MD

#34 Jun 23, 2010
I have never heard of such unsubstantiated B.S. as STDI is trying to throw over the head of this small business owner Barry Parsons! They were hired as sub-contractors to the local government. I work in contracting for a Federal Government DPW. It is not ONLY UNDERSTOOD, but it is in signed contracts. NO Government agency EVER pays claims for their sub-contractor's liability, negligence, or destruction of property. As far as I can see, this is WILLFUL DESTRUCTION and VANDALISM. I challenge any local lawyer worth the suit he/she is dressed in to provide Mr. Parson legal counsel for a percentage.
He has a right to be angry. What if one of STDI's loaders destroyed your home? What - just because they were hired by PENN DOT they should be immune to paying? They should not have the ability to be awarded ANY MORE Government contracts till they pay Mr. Parsons what he is owed!!
Burt

Plumsteadville, PA

#35 Jun 23, 2010
Mr. Parsons,

Get your head out of the sand and get to a lawyer. When state or muncipal agencies are involved there are usually short and strict time limits to bring suit and give notice. You need to file against everyone and then sort it out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blue Bell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police Looking for Witnesses in Fatal Accident ... (May '12) Jul 1 DavenportIsAnAsshole 7
News Montco dance teacher gets jail for sex with stu... Jun 14 Randy 1
lamb foundation!! DO NOT GO!!!!!! (May '09) Jun 6 Eileen 95
Debate: Marijuana - Norristown, PA (Aug '10) May '15 Why 20
Review: Sell-All-Cars COM LLC Apr '15 peter 2
Tonya Ramsey Apr '15 Friends 2
Tonya Ramsey Apr '15 Friend from the past 1
More from around the web

Blue Bell People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Blue Bell Mortgages