Traffic Question

Corning, NY

#1 May 17, 2013
Iím traveling north on a 4 lane Hwy (2 lanes each direction) divided by a grass median. Every so often there is a break in the median to allow for a U-Turn (left turn lane is provided). There is a side road (with a stop sign) to my right intersecting the road at the same place.

I enter the turn lane to make a U-Turn. A second car approaches from the side road and stops. We are both attempting to go south on the 4 lane Hwy. Who has the right-of-way?

Situation 1: The other pulls out and stops in the middle of the intersection and then proceeds blocking me from making my U-turn.

Situation 2: The other car pulls out and proceeds south blocking me from making my U-turn.

They have a stop sign I donít

Who has the right-of-way?
right way

United States

#2 May 17, 2013
To the best of my knowledge you do but its been a long time. I always take it as I have the right away and if I am the other vehicle at the stop sign I wait for the intersection to clear before I enter. From now on just nose on in so they can't cut you off.
pops

Conover, NC

#3 May 17, 2013
the U-Turn never has the right of way. You see it all the time that the "U-turn must yield".

a u-turn is an unsafe but sometimes necessary movement.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#4 May 17, 2013
The 4-lane road, the median, and the u-turn are all irrelevant.

It's no different than if you are turning left from a cross-street.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#5 May 17, 2013
Actually, there is no right-of-way issue - it's a 2-lane road, you turn into the left lane and the other car turns into the right lane. Unless either of you fail to stay in your lane, this can occur simultaneously.
seriously

Hickory, NC

#6 May 17, 2013
can any of you read?
Once both of you are already in the median then its a judgement call on what ever is the safest. Ex let them go first b/c they can see oncoming traffic better.
Before that however, YOU have the right of way. They should yield to you. That side road coming onto a 4 lane has to yield/stop because they are crossing your lane of travel and you already said you had no sign, just a turning. Unfortunately most people abuse this because they know you are already slowing down.

Example, the intersection right in front of the coffee house.
Idiots shouldn't drive.
City Slickers

Lenoir, NC

#7 May 17, 2013
Just pull over and wiat for the next subway to arrive.
DMV

Banner Elk, NC

#8 May 20, 2013
I asked The DMV and this is their response:

Determining who is supposed to yield when a vehicle is performing a U-Turn is tricky.
It is easier to determine who is supposed to yield if there is a traffic signal or signage stating the rule at that intersection. When there is no light or signage, follow the general rules of yielding.

A vehicle performing a U-Turn must yield to all other traffic on the highway (same road they are on). However, when there is no signal light, a vehicle entering the highway (in this situation, entering from a cross-street with a stop sign) must yield to vehicles already on the highway.

Since the vehicle making the U-Turn is already on the highway and the vehicle at the stop sign isn't on the highway, the vehicle can continue to perform the U-Turn while the vehicle at the stop sign is required to yield to the vehicle making a U-Turn.

Even if the vehicle crosses the two right lanes to get to the median to complete the left turn, they must still yield to the vehicle performing the U-Turn since they were on the highway first.

Because it can be very dangerous, just be sure to drive cautiously and defensively when making a U-Turn.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#9 May 20, 2013
DMV wrote:
I asked The DMV and this is their response:
Determining who is supposed to yield when a vehicle is performing a U-Turn is tricky.
It is easier to determine who is supposed to yield if there is a traffic signal or signage stating the rule at that intersection. When there is no light or signage, follow the general rules of yielding.
A vehicle performing a U-Turn must yield to all other traffic on the highway (same road they are on). However, when there is no signal light, a vehicle entering the highway (in this situation, entering from a cross-street with a stop sign) must yield to vehicles already on the highway.
Since the vehicle making the U-Turn is already on the highway and the vehicle at the stop sign isn't on the highway, the vehicle can continue to perform the U-Turn while the vehicle at the stop sign is required to yield to the vehicle making a U-Turn.
Even if the vehicle crosses the two right lanes to get to the median to complete the left turn, they must still yield to the vehicle performing the U-Turn since they were on the highway first.
Because it can be very dangerous, just be sure to drive cautiously and defensively when making a U-Turn.
Great, only the question asked about a car on a cross street TURNING RIGHT, to end up going the same direction the car doing the u-turn ends up going.

Like, at the intersection at Lowes/JustSave. A car traveling on 321 south out of town does a u-turn at the intersection to come back into town. At the same time a car is leaving Lowes, turning right onto 321 to go into town as well. Of course, the light dictates what happens at that particular intersection, and the question involves such an scenario that does not include a traffic light.

I still hold that there is no right-of-way issue, because the car doing the u-turn takes the left-hand lane while the car turning right takes the right-hand lane. If either car drifts into the other lane, they are guilty of failing to stay in their lane.
wrong turn

Lenoir, NC

#10 May 20, 2013
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Great, only the question asked about a car on a cross street TURNING RIGHT, to end up going the same direction the car doing the u-turn ends up going.
Like, at the intersection at Lowes/JustSave. A car traveling on 321 south out of town does a u-turn at the intersection to come back into town. At the same time a car is leaving Lowes, turning right onto 321 to go into town as well. Of course, the light dictates what happens at that particular intersection, and the question involves such an scenario that does not include a traffic light.
I still hold that there is no right-of-way issue, because the car doing the u-turn takes the left-hand lane while the car turning right takes the right-hand lane. If either car drifts into the other lane, they are guilty of failing to stay in their lane.
The original question was not about the example you are talking about. The question was say for example 321 North at Indian Grave Rd. You are traveling North then decide to go back South into Lenoir and move into the left hand U turn lane, at the same time someone is stopping at the Stop sign on Indian Grave Road waiting to cross the North bound lane to go south into Lenoir. As you set and wait for southbound traffic to make your U turn the moron at Indian Grave Road goes ahead and crosses over blocking you from turning and cuts you off. They should have waited until you could turn then proceeded into the center interchange.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#11 May 21, 2013
wrong turn wrote:
<quoted text>The original question was not about the example you are talking about. The question was say for example 321 North at Indian Grave Rd. You are traveling North then decide to go back South into Lenoir and move into the left hand U turn lane, at the same time someone is stopping at the Stop sign on Indian Grave Road waiting to cross the North bound lane to go south into Lenoir. As you set and wait for southbound traffic to make your U turn the moron at Indian Grave Road goes ahead and crosses over blocking you from turning and cuts you off. They should have waited until you could turn then proceeded into the center interchange.
Yeah, re-reading I see that. But that makes it really confusing, because in that scenario the moron cuts you off, and that's pretty much the only way to characterize it - I don't see a legit question :). The u-turn is irrelevant; when crossing a lane of traffic, you must yield to the traffic traveling in that lane.
Traffic Question DMV

Corning, NY

#12 May 21, 2013
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, re-reading I see that. But that makes it really confusing, because in that scenario the moron cuts you off, and that's pretty much the only way to characterize it - I don't see a legit question :). The u-turn is irrelevant; when crossing a lane of traffic, you must yield to the traffic traveling in that lane.
I asked the question (started the thread) and I asked the DMV and posted the response. I knew I was right but when I blow my horn at people cutting me off at that intersection I have been given dirty looks and shot the bird on many occasions. So there are a number of idiots out there who donít know the rules of the road. But in the end Iím not going to hit someone to prove my point.
Rob

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Sep 9, 2013
Someone that has no stop sign will always have right of way over someone with a stop sign. Just like green light always has right of way over a red light. Meaning a person making a U-turn on a green light/no stop sign always has right of way over someone turning right on red light/stop sign.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blowing Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Malaria Trump proves she's a clueless hypocrite 42 min waco1909 14
How the Trump Nightmare Ends 45 min waco1909 46
WSJ calls Russia investigation a sham 48 min waco1909 11
Weeeiner 1 hr Rock 5
Angry Right-Wingers Turn On Trump, Burn Their Ď... 1 hr Rock 86
I hate Muslims (Sep '16) 1 hr Rock 37
Manafort wiretapped 2 hr David53g 18

Blowing Rock Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance