Educated

Hickory, NC

#1 Dec 16, 2013
Definition of Irony:
Christians complaining about the war to "Secularize" a holiday that was stolen from the Pagans in an effort to Christianize Europe.

Or, is that yet another piece of history that they don't teach in Church? Because historians know damn well that while December 25th was not the birth month of the historical figure from whom Christ was likely modeled, but that it was the approximation of the winter solstice, which was one of the Pagan high holy days. The other one? The Spring Equinox, Ostara, which Christians celebrate as Easter.

I have no issue whatsoever with Christmas and in fact rather enjoy it. However, I have an issue with the fact that people think it belongs to Christianity and ignore its true origins the same way they think America belongs to white people while ignoring the fact that there was a thriving indigenous population long before the Europeans came.

And really, maybe that mindset is the crux of many people's distaste with Christianity and many other organized religions - it seems to foster a mindset of ignoring and denying facts and reality to the extent of creating a rampant hypocrisy. I would have far more respect for the likes of Bill O'Riley if he said "Yeah, I know we stole it, but possession is nine-tenths of the law, and we aren't going to let you take Christmas from us quietly and do to us what we did to someone else. It doesn't matter how we got it, we got it, so eff off." Instead we get " an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth unless it’s our eye and our tooth - then it's 'Wah, we're being persecuted!" I'm just sayin...
Merry Christmas

Hickory, NC

#2 Dec 16, 2013
So what’s the problem? No! December 25 was probably not the birthday of Jesus, no one really knows. Shepherds were in the fields by night so it was most likely spring, summer or early fall. The pagans already celebrated the winter solstice so it seemed as good a time as any. The bible does not require or mention a celebration of Jesus birth. As a child growing up in a Baptist Church we were always told Dec. 25 was a date on the Calendar man chose to celebrate the birth. Why this bothers you I have no idea.
Merry Christmas

Hickory, NC

#3 Dec 16, 2013
Easter is Different:
The Jewish liturgical year is not simply the basis for Jewish holidays, but for the Christian movable feasts as well—those annual holidays that do not fall on a fixed date but vary according to astronomical occurrences.

The celebration of Passover took place just before the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ, and the two holidays have been entwined from the beginning—the word Pasch, originally meaning Passover, came to mean Easter as well.
My Conclusion

Hickory, NC

#4 Dec 16, 2013
How do you own a date? Or steal one?
If the United States owns July 4th then does every country have to celebrate July 4th.
Did we steal that date so no one else can use it?
So if China decides to celebrate the year of the rat on July 4th I guess you would have an issue with that too.
Your argument is ridicules.
Abby

Hickory, NC

#5 Dec 16, 2013
The liberals cannot convince you to stop believing in Christ. They can't get you to stop believing in Christmas, no matter how they attack it. All they can do is shield themselves from whatever it is about it that makes them uncomfortable and feel unwanted and abnormal.
May Day

Hickory, NC

#6 Dec 16, 2013
Nothing new about Taking over Dates:
Various authorities have tried to ban or undermine May Day, particularly the communist observances during the Cold War. In 1955, Pope Pius XII designated May 1 as a feast day of St. Joseph the Worker. In 1958, President Eisenhower designated May 1 as both Law Day and Loyalty Day. Each of these were specifically aimed at replacing the communist holiday with a religious or patriotic one.
Kwanzaa

Hickory, NC

#7 Dec 18, 2013
Kwanzaa, a holiday created in 1966 to bring African- American communities together that includes aspects of various harvest celebrations. But they choose December 26 to January 1 to celebrate when everyone else is still celebrating Christmas.

Are you going to jump on then too Educated Idiot for stealing your pagan holiday?
Educated

Hickory, NC

#8 Dec 18, 2013
Funny how you're all in such a defensive mode - but that's become the standard for modern religion. My post is not about stealing a pagan holiday, and I could care less about May Day and kwaanza. The post simply states that modern religion is not based around any real facts or original, genuine thought.
Let's see: resurrection - first used by ancient civilizations (such as ancient Egypt) to embolden the power and persona of the elite; the crucifiction - used by ancient Roman, Carthage and other early civilizations to execute slaves, criminals, and abnormals. The virgin birth (this one really cracks me up, that Gabriel must have been one slick talker)- has been used in Hinduism, Buddhism, Assyrian and Babylonian mythology, and Greco-Roman mythology.

I can go on and on about the endless facts that disprove christianity or islam - but I know you're all going to recite some bible verse back to me. I'm sick of religion and the role it plays in the world. And don't tell me that "what's wrong with being religious - if we're wrong then we didn't hurt anybody." Thats a lie - millions of humans have suffered because of the varying religious beliefs. And if your god is so powerful, so loving - then why all the evil in the world, why the natural disasters, why are children born with birth defects?
As I sit here and think about my post I realize that I am an idiot (kwaanza) for stooping down to your level. I don't need a book written by MAN 2000 years ago, based on folk tales and supernatural believes, to be a good person. EVERYBODY was/is born an atheist - it wasn't until somebody forced religion on us and told us that if we didn't believe we were going to burn in hell, that people believe in the supernatural.
PublicDefender

Greenville, SC

#9 Dec 18, 2013
Educated,

I read each of your posts carefully, alas I do not set out to be the spark for the next fire here, but I have but one question for you please!!?

First, I apologize: for every sidewalk and/or opinionated preacher spewing words that divide those that believe as fervently as themselves from the ones that are truly unsure what they believe and have questions each morning they awake or self-arguments when bad things happen to them or those around them; asking "where is God now" and "Isnt He suppose to protect"? I also would like to say i am sorry for every Christian that has ever made you and your intellect feel less than because you question that which they take on faith - robots we are not!! Lastly, I would like to offer my sincere rebuttal to anyone who has ever correct you and your stance from the above commentary, for they too are embarking to begin a futile path to prove something they too have daily struggles with, but are too ashamed or arrogant to admit!

I AM a Christian, of that I am proud!! I am also someone who respects the alternative viewpoint that you have shared. For the few that have offered opinion, I am shocked to find that they too share the never-ending need to feel pedestal positioned. I ask you -- If you stumble upon a man standing on top of a house, screaming to the top of his lungs that his house is clean but the door is locked when those whose curiosity is peaked seek to verify, can you believe him ? If you walk a half mile down the roud and again stumble upon another man claiming his house is clean with a simple sign placed in his yard but find that he is standing beside an open door, to a very well lighted home, saying "welcome please come inside" , is this more invited but no less intriguing ?

I simply ask this of you, which of these are you seeking to uproot the existence of their faith? Why is this important to you and what do you seek to prove to this one person?
PubicDefender

Greenville, SC

#10 Dec 18, 2013
So what you are saying is effectively, "I disagree and far too eductaed to offer my opinion and stoop to your level?"
I figured as much...oh well!!!
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#11 Dec 18, 2013
Abby wrote:
The liberals cannot convince you to stop believing in Christ. They can't get you to stop believing in Christmas, no matter how they attack it. All they can do is shield themselves from whatever it is about it that makes them uncomfortable and feel unwanted and abnormal.
LOL Ha Ha Ha, Ho Ho Ho! What an enlightend statement straight from Bill O'Reilly's imagined War on Christmas!
Educated

Hickory, NC

#12 Dec 19, 2013
PubicDefender wrote:
So what you are saying is effectively, "I disagree and far too eductaed to offer my opinion and stoop to your level?"
I figured as much...oh well!!!
I'm going out on a limb here and assuming this is the same person - even though the name was slightly changed from "Public" to "Pubic" - now thats funny.
Regardless, as I read the post from "Public" I was thinking "What a respective, thoughtful person - I can appreciate their point of view." Then when I saw the response from "Pubic" I thought, "Wow, now their true colors are coming out!"

So now that we've established some dialogue I'd like to ask you, or any other christian, the following:
Do you believe in Santa Claus - a mythical figure based on a once real person? I mean, we all know that the original Saint Nicholas existed and was famous for giving gifts to the poor. But there was nothing magical about him, no miracles, no prophecies. Yet, over the centuries his legend has been turned into a magical figure, circling the globe on Dec. 24th and some how giving each child a present. Now that's something cool - that's worth basing my whole life around, brainwashing my children into believing, and bellowing at the non-believers.
Wisdom

Hickory, NC

#13 Dec 19, 2013
Education and Knowledge is the acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation; An Educated Idiot is a person that went to college learned a bunch of facts from another Educated Idiot and both are dumber than a bag of hammers. The Educated Idiot feels like he/she is smart and therefore everyone else is dumb but they are only deceiving themselves.

Wisdom is defined as the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight
.
Education is no substitution for 'Wisdom' and the ability to make correct judgments and decisions. It is an intangible quality gained presumably through experience.

“Vote”

Since: May 12

Houston

#14 Dec 19, 2013
Educated wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going out on a limb here and assuming this is the same person - even though the name was slightly changed from "Public" to "Pubic" - now thats funny.
Regardless, as I read the post from "Public" I was thinking "What a respective, thoughtful person - I can appreciate their point of view." Then when I saw the response from "Pubic" I thought, "Wow, now their true colors are coming out!"
So now that we've established some dialogue I'd like to ask you, or any other christian, the following:
Do you believe in Santa Claus - a mythical figure based on a once real person? I mean, we all know that the original Saint Nicholas existed and was famous for giving gifts to the poor. But there was nothing magical about him, no miracles, no prophecies. Yet, over the centuries his legend has been turned into a magical figure, circling the globe on Dec. 24th and some how giving each child a present. Now that's something cool - that's worth basing my whole life around, brainwashing my children into believing, and bellowing at the non-believers.
Well Kemosabi, I think it's great that you have an opinion. The only people I've seen bellowing lately are our shrill atheists, who seem to be a bit put out that any sane person could have the temerity to disagree with their worldview. No matter how much the world and atheists might object, there will always be believers, if that bothers them, so be it.I leave atheists to their own devices. I expect the same from them.
Educated

Hickory, NC

#15 Dec 19, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Well Kemosabi, I think it's great that you have an opinion. The only people I've seen bellowing lately are our shrill atheists, who seem to be a bit put out that any sane person could have the temerity to disagree with their worldview. No matter how much the world and atheists might object, there will always be believers, if that bothers them, so be it.I leave atheists to their own devices. I expect the same from them.
I would say that I used to agree with your sentiment of leaving others to their own beliefs, but (as you stated) in my opinion there is so much wrong in the world, because of religion, that I need to speak out. And I'm not trying to convert anybody - but sincerely hope that future generations will realize that religion is a system of control and lies. So, I'm sure many are asking why I care what others believe. One reason, of many,- faith in being forgiven of molesting a child by simply praying to god. WTF???? Really, does that make it all go away? Will the child's memory of the event be washed away by prayer? I think we all know the answer.
Educated

Hickory, NC

#16 Dec 19, 2013
Abby wrote:
The liberals cannot convince you to stop believing in Christ. They can't get you to stop believing in Christmas, no matter how they attack it. All they can do is shield themselves from whatever it is about it that makes them uncomfortable and feel unwanted and abnormal.
I wouldn't label myself as a liberal. I am proud to be an American - more proud to be a Southener. I own guns, and if anybody tries to break into my house they will be shot. If anybody messes with my kids - they will be shot. I can't think of too many things better than sitting around a fire, drinking a Bud Light with a big jawful of Copenhagen - watching my kids play in the yard. I drive a big 4-wheel drive. I bust my ass at work each day - 50 hours a week. I pay taxes, and think that most people should shut up and pay their taxes instead of complaining about teacher pay or the lack of law enforcement. I think welfare and other government handouts should be much more limited - with drug testing and disability verification required. And I think that most people that attend church do so only because they're scared of what their friends and family might think. Or, their just a nut that has been brainwashed into believing in invisible sky people.
Educated

Hickory, NC

#17 Dec 19, 2013
Wisdom wrote:
Education and Knowledge is the acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation; An Educated Idiot is a person that went to college learned a bunch of facts from another Educated Idiot and both are dumber than a bag of hammers. The Educated Idiot feels like he/she is smart and therefore everyone else is dumb but they are only deceiving themselves.
Wisdom is defined as the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight
.
Education is no substitution for 'Wisdom' and the ability to make correct judgments and decisions. It is an intangible quality gained presumably through experience.
OK - so thank you for clarifying my personality. My Dad always told me that a wise man figures out his own path, doesn't follow a person or idea just because everybody else does. Yes - I went to college, paid for it by myself - didn't ask my hard working parents for any handouts. My username on forum is just that - a username. But I am educated - from a great university right here in the South. However, the majority of my education comes from personal life experiences - not out of a text book.
My Conclusion

Hickory, NC

#18 Dec 19, 2013
When I die I will either meet my Invisible GOD and be welcomed home or I will just turn to dust and that will be that. I will have no regrets either way.

You on the other hand will meet my Invisible GOD and be judged accordingly. And will regret your decision not to believe for all eternity, If you’re right then you too will just turn to dust and that will be that.

It’s your choice you get to decide!
Educated

Hickory, NC

#19 Dec 19, 2013
My Conclusion wrote:
When I die I will either meet my Invisible GOD and be welcomed home or I will just turn to dust and that will be that. I will have no regrets either way.
You on the other hand will meet my Invisible GOD and be judged accordingly. And will regret your decision not to believe for all eternity, If you’re right then you too will just turn to dust and that will be that.
It’s your choice you get to decide!

Or, I might get to meet Santa Claus!
PublicDefender

Greenville, SC

#20 Dec 20, 2013
First, the previous incendiary post mocking my username was not me but ironically kinda agree. I have met many people like you throughout my life Educated. From your username, positioning any argumentative stance wih you on top to your ever-present argument against the"religious" system. The trouble with your posit is that sadly most christians would agree with you, I also despise religion fo the same reasons. I am sorry that you feel slighted to have to work "50 hours" to be able to own guns,drive trucks and drink beer,some would call that blessed but I digress...I work those hours, have guns that I carry on the job, don't drive a truck but would like to and drink a beer occasionally but its not a necessity. As for taxes, my opinion is small and not important and my anger is pointless. As for me going to church...I am just teaching my children that there is a Creator, who formed their minds to believe whatever they choose and in a large way, by way of morality, preventing them from becoming someone like you!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blowing Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
trump a russian agent? 2 min Waco1910 78
we're getting a wall 39 min southern at heart 75
Anti Trump riots spread. 47 min southern at heart 1,016
Deportations hit ten year low as Obama leaves 1 hr southern at heart 2
FlatLine's Last Post Wins 2017 (Lenoir Edition) 6 hr Sharlene45 10
Gay Maniac accosts Ivanka , gets tossed off jet 7 hr Viscous Vinny 336
Senate takes first step in Obamacare repeal 12 hr Viscous Vinny 41

Blowing Rock Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blowing Rock Mortgages