Back in the day

Lenoir, NC

#1 Nov 8, 2013
What would you say was the best time for Lenoir and surrounding towns?

When and what made this community a great place to live?

What do you think changed it?

If you could change anything about Lenoir and the area what would it be?
tjw

Atlanta, GA

#2 Nov 8, 2013
The best times was when u could hang up town and meet friends on the weekends and broyhills was still here we all had good jobs with the company it meant a lot to me after 15 yrs working for them and knowing most of the employees
NEW IN TOWN

Lenoir, NC

#3 Nov 11, 2013
When did things go sour, south or turn for the worse? And Why, in your opinion?
old in town

Morganton, NC

#4 Nov 11, 2013
NEW IN TOWN wrote:
When did things go sour, south or turn for the worse? And Why, in your opinion?
Things went sour when this thread began.

Why? Because it's a stupid thread.
Magnesia

Bostic, NC

#5 Nov 11, 2013
NAFTA killed NC
New in Town

Lenoir, NC

#6 Nov 11, 2013
old in town wrote:
<quoted text>
My deepest apologies that my thread made this town fall. Trying to look for the good of this area, since all we see is crime, drugs and hate. Trying to make a difference. So now we see why business are leaving and no large company wants to come here an produce jobs to a negative society. Why make an investment when the welcoming commitee has issues and no self worth. Thanks for the honesty and heads up, saves us time and money.

Best Regards,

Leaving Town.. on to better days and better ways.
also new here

Lenoir, NC

#7 Nov 12, 2013
So sorry new in town. There are true idiots on Topix. Don't let them color your opinion. There ARE good things here.You just have to be looking and open. I hope you try the local business here. I have had good experiences. 4 years ago I had no idea Lenoir or Caldwell County existed. Moved here for my husband and job transfer. This area is suffering. People here have to stop looking at what was and get education,ambition etc. It can work if the county reinvents itself.Manufacturing is gone.Many people here are too compliant on government welfare. They need to get a job..even minimum wage. No one in my family had trouble finding work. Just need a good work ethic

“physics is your friend”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#8 Nov 12, 2013
old in town wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheer up.There's always suicide.
Possible

Lenoir, NC

#9 Nov 14, 2013
Maybe sometimes Human Resourses', check out sites to get a feel for a community? I wouldn't invest my time and money into a town that has no self worth, pride or enthusiasm for their community.
cindy

Lenoir, NC

#10 Nov 14, 2013
Back in the day wrote:
What would you say was the best time for Lenoir and surrounding towns?
When and what made this community a great place to live?
What do you think changed it?
If you could change anything about Lenoir and the area what would it be?
Oh the good old days back when I was a roller- skating carhop up at the Sonic drive in. The good ole weekends of cars backed all the way down to Mcdonalds waiting to pull in the Sonic just to circle around it. Looking up while taking out a order to see Willard Belvins walking down the street dressed as an Indian or Superman. Those were the good old days.
realize

Morganton, NC

#11 Nov 14, 2013
also new here wrote:
So sorry new in town. There are true idiots on Topix. Don't let them color your opinion. There ARE good things here.You just have to be looking and open. I hope you try the local business here. I have had good experiences. 4 years ago I had no idea Lenoir or Caldwell County existed. Moved here for my husband and job transfer. This area is suffering. People here have to stop looking at what was and get education,ambition etc. It can work if the county reinvents itself.Manufacturing is gone.Many people here are too compliant on government welfare. They need to get a job..even minimum wage. No one in my family had trouble finding work. Just need a good work ethic
I would like to look at the last part of your statement if you don't mind? I am not looking for argumentative answers in the questions I am about to ask, I am looking for viable ideas for actually jumpstarting this area back into life economically.

You state this county needs to re-invent itself. Many aspects of manufacturing may not be a feasible avenue to utilize. In order to
determine a lucrative business foundation for this county, we are going to have to determine resources-financial, material, and intellectual.

Financial resources are restricted at best due to the 8000+ jobs that were lost when furniture went over seas. Most people in this county are dependent on minimum wage jobs now, part time employment, unemployment benefits, and social programs.

In order for the financial side to work, there will have to be minimal capital involvement, minimal risk and a dedicated business plan with a strict budget. Applying for government grants would also be an option.

Materialistically, if the potential business owner felt safe enough in the business creation adventure, he/she may want to refinance personal property for a minimal loan amount to be used
for start up cash.

Intellectually, in order to be successful with any attempt at starting a business venture, one will have to study the market trends (and I do mean stock market as that gives an idea of what investors feel safe in investing in-if the intent is to look for investors and silent partners for the business). Likewise, determining what area of commerce is least effected by job loss (meaning people still keep buying even if they are unemployed) without being a government regulated utility or grocery store is very important. There is no point in starting a business that will be on death's door within two or three weeks.

Think minimal investment with maximum gain.
realize

Morganton, NC

#12 Nov 14, 2013
With the afore mentioned information, what resources are available for utilization that will make this area stand out to consumers?

What type of business will be minimal investment with maximum gain?

What skill set needs to be focused on to build up a lucrative business base in this county?

How do we create jobs of such a variety that even unskilled laborers would have an opportunity for employment? Realistically, there are people who want to work, but due to intellectual boundaries are not capable of learning computer or higher tech skills. If we want to see high employment in this county, we have to include such people in the scheme of job creation.

What do we need to do to get started?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blowing Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Do You Support For Senate In NC in 2014 20 min Rock 3,494
Looking for a good divorce attorney in lenoir, ... 2 hr need help 4
Looking for (Apr '14) 2 hr archimedesreborn 2
has anyone noticed that there is no moon tonight? (Jul '10) 3 hr Repeatly 61
Joey (Mar '14) 9 hr Wondering 60
I Truly Do Miss You (Sep '10) 12 hr Repeatly 9
Lenoir man charged with drug offenses 13 hr DAMN 4
Blowing Rock Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web